main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Which journey is better/more interesting, Anakin's, Luke's or Rey's one?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Dec 22, 2015.

?

Best journey?

1. Anakin

42 vote(s)
    30.7%
  2. Luke

51 vote(s)
    37.2%
  3. Rey

44 vote(s)
    32.1%
  1. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    1- that whole scene shows how she lives. The water part doesnt add any extra to what that series of scenes shows.

2- What? Where did you get that from? When she gets offered a job she turns it down and says she needs to go back. She wants to go back because she is hopeful that her parents will return. If we are going to read anything into that scene is her wondering what her mother looks like. And all this is tied to point one. The point of her waiting for some one.

3- Like i said in 2, she doesnt want to leave she waits to be picked up. If we are going to read something into this it falls in with the waiting to be picked up set of info.

4- How do we know this is what she is thinking? She just randomly saves the droid from the rider dude and tells him where to go. We dont get a why she is helping him. She just does because main character and supporting character/droid have to be together. In Ep4 we get a clear line how the 2 droid ended up with Luke and why he went looking for R2. He wants them working so he could leave to the academy. This is why Luke has a better story. There is a story reason rather than it just happening and the viewer adding their own possible reason.

5- fighting doesnt show you are street smart fighting shows you know how to fight. And, yes, she can brawl random Jakku people. You got one, finally.

6- We are shown she can fly combat maneuvers with no info on how. With Luke we are shown a T-16 model, he tells us about using the t-16, we are told that the controls are similar, and Biggs backs him saying that he could do it, and the Beggar's Canyon reference. So we got several points to give Luke credit even if we take away his boasting. With her she just does it out of nowhere.

7- that scene when she fixed the Falcon in hyperspace was weird. And i remember it because it was weird and i thought this was going to be a story element brought up later. After she bypasses whatever that was and tells Han she looks at the part and makes a confused look. Originally i thought she didnt know what she did and something was going to happen later on, but after she turned into full fledged Jedi im going to say the face was made because she was using the force. I think most of the stuff she ends up doing is just force left and right.

8-9- Well being excited about meeting the famous Han Solo isnt really some sort of big development. I mean... they are super famous. In fact, that tells us more about Han Solo than it does about both Rey and Finn who were both in awe.

10- Yes, she really, really, want to wait for her parents. This is the third time in the movie this has been brought up. It's not something new.

11- her magical level up on the force.

12- That was just bad story telling. The stormtroppers werent even on alert. And how the hell did she now to jumping into that panel thing? Anyway, yeah, good callback to her climbing skills. This was probably the only time we got shown something early that was used later.

13- What? She runs into the group, there's some talk, then she thanks Finn because Chewie says it was his idea. Dude, you have to stop adding stuff that is not there.

14- Again, bad storytelling. Chewie just walks by but she gets a hug cause... main character. Main character sickness is probably the reason she went to look for Luke instead of sending freaking special forces to make sure nothing happens.

Darth Rhapsodyne likes this.
  2. AdamDemamp

AdamDemamp Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2015
    Honestly I'm not going to engage in this. If you think it's bad storytelling that's a different issue and it's one you should look to the box office and critics to find a general consensus on, not me.

3. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    I'll admit I'm not calm but I type in caps to make certain points stand out, not in anger.

4. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
    Maybe I should have put in the title that I was refering only to the first chapter of each trilogy, Anakin journey across six films and his legacy it's obviously not comparable against Rey or even Luke.

Rey is much more interesting as a character than Anakin ever was in The Phantom Menace.

5. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

What a shame that you don't buy it, darn, they must have really messed up then.

Apparently you missed the part where Rey literally drags the ship for a half a mile before she's able to stabilize it enough to lift off. I'm no pilot, but I'm guessing you're not supposed to drag the cockpit of the ship on the ground when you are taking off.

Rey is a pilot. She literally even says it. She's also spent her entire life inside of ships. Where's the reach? I saw someone say "she's never left Jakku, how could she possibly have experience flying??????" First of all, her flying took place in the atmosphere so even if she hasn't left Jakku that makes zero difference considering the laws of physics and flying are different in space anyway. Second of all, that does not rule out whatsoever her flying in atmosphere on Jakku. She also has a speeder which you guessed it.... Flies/hovers. I don't really care about any of the comics or novels but for further exposition it also says in there that she did simulations on flying.

I would LOVE to know how Rey flying at the age of 20ish is somehow more unbelievable than little Annie flying a space mission at age 9. At least Rey has had years of potential experience where as anakin is a child.

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    We don't know anything to say about Rey's "journey"; considering no matter how many times you've seen the movie already, you won't come any closer to a conclusion as to her background as someone who's seen the movie once. But as far as Luke vs. Anakin, I'd go with Luke. He came from nowhere, had no real "master" with him all the time, and took on the baddest badasses in the galaxy alone. His relationship with Obi-Wan lasted what, about a day or so? And Yoda even less. Anakin was practically holding Obi-Wan's hands the entire time, and when he wasn't, he was holding Palpatine's.

7. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    The question doesn't relate to the character's completed arc. Rey has just begun, and Luke's is still undetermined as things stand. It more alludes to which of the three (in your opinion) has the most interesting beginning and introduction?..A dead heat between Luke and Rey for me. With perhaps Luke edging ahead :)

8. JackP

JackP Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2015
    What's more interesting than a curious slave boy who is freed, becomes a "hero" Jedi, has a family, falls to evil and spends a stint as the most feared individual in the galaxy, before turning it around and saving him son from the person who had been manipulating his life?

minnishe likes this.
  9. HylianBowcaster

HylianBowcaster Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 6, 2011
    Considering that we're only comparing the first act of their respective stories, I'm going with Luke. Anakin's first act has a lot of substance to it, as in it establishes several of his characteristics such as fear of loss and change and his natural force abilities, but unfortunately he's sidelined by a larger conflict. Rey's story so far has been interesting, but without knowing where it's going it's hard to say how important this first act is. Luke's beginning though introduces so much about him, it taps not only into his future but into his past as well. In Luke's first act we're given information about his father, Obi Wan opens his eyes to the concept of the Force, and we see him almost literally take his first steps into a larger world.

If we were comparing entire stories, right now Anakin's is the most interesting, though. But that's obviously not fair to Rey or even Luke to a lesser extent considering their characters have only been in one and technically five movies, respectively.

10. Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren

Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 31, 2015

My Lord, did you even watch the movie?

She was unconscious if wasn't for Finn she would be captured or dead, again, she was being pushed against a cliff and being defeated again, until the very end when she needed to accept the force, the exactly way like Luke did in the trench

She needed help the ENTIRE MOVIE, how can someone distort a movie like this drives me insane

"Yes, another difference. Luke needed help up until the end while Rey was all One Punch Woman."

She needed to be rescued twice in one movie, TWICE.

i must be blind or saw another cut of TFA

11. Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren

Oct 31, 2015

12- That was just bad story telling. The stormtroppers werent even on alert. And how the hell did she now to jumping into that panel thing? Anyway, yeah, good callback to her climbing skills. This was probably the only time we got shown something early that was used later.

Ok this is when i seriously lose it

How did she know to jumping into that panel thing? THE FREAKING FORCE, do you even watch Star Wars, what anyone else calls intuition, premonition Force Sensitive have to the highest level, this have been shown in Star Wars for the last 40 years, is TFA your first Star Wars movie? if so i apologize.

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

I think the problem with most people giving Anakin's character any credit is that they're reluctant to acknowledge what he was like in TCW. If we're just referring to his roles in the PT, what's to say about that? Let's see: 1) as a pre-teen, he accidentally launches a starfighter into orbit around Naboo and fools around with the controls enough to figure out how to launch the ion canons and destroy the droid mothership. 2) After Jinn falls, Kenobi takes him under his wing and they're holding hands pretty much throughout AOTC (at least in the scenes where he's not alone with Padme and/or Palpatine). 3) It's still debatable as to when Anakin actually fell to evil. Was it when he slaughtered the sandpeople? Was it when Palps intrigued him at the notion of "bringing back the dead" during the light show sit-down? Was he only doing it to save Padme? After he learned she wasn't saved (because she "lost her will to live"), what made him continue on under Palps' tutelage?

13. Lance Toris

Lance Toris Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    Not sure this can be answered since TFA is only one installment in.

JediRocks74 likes this.
  14. Cyreides

Cyreides Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 19, 2014
    Anakin got 7 movies and a couple cartoons to detail his journey while Rey has had 1 movie. Don't think it's comparable right now for me.

And on Lukes I'm just not that interested. Definitely take Anakins here, he's not just some underdog hero, he's the chosen one from far worse circumstances than Luke or Rey ever had to deal with, and we've had a lot of time to fill out all the details of his life and all the struggles he's gone through and the HORRIBLE things he's done before finally redeeming himself and fullfilling his destiny.

15. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    The thing is the vast majority of movie goers wouldn't have bared witness to his portrayal in TCW. They saw the films and that was it. But I tend to agree with you actually. Filoni et al nailed the character much better, for what it was worth I guess. Watching Reys beginnings did, for a moment, have me wishing that it should've been how Anakin's origins were told.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  16. AdamDemamp

AdamDemamp Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2015

No I've been watching Star Wars since I was 4 almost 20 years ago. You prefer a Star Trek like version of Star Wars that came about after the prequels with more strict rules. Most of us prefer a more mythic fairytale like the OT. I'm sorry you're not happy with the direction the movies are going, but don't be condescending. I'll let you in on a secret- it makes you look weak, ignorant, and uneducated on your material, generally something to laugh at not intimidating.

17. Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren

Oct 31, 2015
    Dude, i think something was lost in translation

i was commenting on Bacbacca take on the Starkiller base scene, not on yours.

18. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    She MAYBE rescued once. She saved herself in the starkiller base.
    And being knocked out, i guess it counts but that reads more like an excuse to have Finn sword fight.

And she fought a trained Jedi, she should've been losing during the whole fight instead of being just at one point.

The point of the thread is to say which story for the main characters you found more interesting.
    And Rey knowing how to almost everything wasnt that interesting on top of the movie giving little setup and background.

Yes, she seemed to be using the force all the way back to when she fixed the falcon in hyperspace, but i didnt find her knowing everything, almost, all that interesting.

19. Ticonderouga

Ticonderouga Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 20, 2015
    I find Rey's arc the most fascinating of the three, and its precisely because the only things we know about her is what is shown on screen. Her backstory is never stated only implied. Her personal journey through the story is both compelling and quite fascinating. We first see completely alone in the galaxy, no real friends, no family, and most especially no prospects for changing that future. She is literally a discarded person who salvages from discarded ships and components for a subsistence level life. She has to fight every day just survive, most often that fight is figurative but is all too often quite literal. Luke at least had some realistic prospects of a different and more fulfilling life, Anakin had both purpose as well as family, the most Rey has is some vague and futile hope that someone will come along and salvage her. Then she saves a droid and begins to salvage her own life, by standing up for someone who cannot stand for themselves. So her arc is all about a person salvaging their own life and the way that both others perceive her and the way that she perceives herself grows and changes over the course of the story. At the beginning the plot is driving her on through the story, by the third act she is driving the plot. Luke doesn't begin to show that level of personal growth until ESB, and Anakin is always reacting to events and rarely if ever makes his own choices, and the few times he does choose he usually makes the wrong choice.

The complaints about Rey are all about fandom's favorite pastime: nitpicking.

So let's pick some nits. There seems to be roughly four points to how Rey is too skilled for what we know about the characters background. First point is that she is able to pilot the MF with no apparent flight experience, and fix the same ship better then Han Solo. Yet her whole life depends on knowing ships and their components and she says flat out that she has been flying for years she just never left the planet. While Han Solo probably knows far more about the Falcon in general, Rey is far more familiar with the Falcon in its current state because works for the Falcon's current owner and has probably worked on the ship from time to time. Second one is that she is able to use the Jedi Mind trick despite never having been trained in the force, yet this scene is done more for comic relief then to show any real skill with the force. If you watch this without dwelling on the fact she is using a skill you haven't seen her trained in it is hilarious, the whole point is that it is a joke. But OK, if you can't the funny in the scene, then consider this: while this may very well be her first attempt at the mind trick, it takes her more then one attempt, she is attempting it on a stormtrooper who is conditioned from birth to follow orders without question and little else. He is the very definition of weak minded, because stormtroopers are left with very little in the way of a conscious mind. One other little tid bit about this scene is that it is the very embodiment of Yoda's immortal words, "Do or do not, there is no try."

Finally we get to the duel with Kylo Ren. This seems to be the biggest bone of contention about why Rey is a "Mary Sue" type character. First the duel was not really about how and why Rey wins, but why Kylo Ren loses. The duel is all about Kylo Ren and Rey is merely the instrument that shows us the flaws in his training and in his personality. The one consistent trait that Kylo shows is a lack self discipline and very little self control. He arrogantly assumes that he will easily overcome Finn, despite being wounded. While he does beat Finn, he takes far longer to beat him than he anticipates and expends too much energy accomplishing this task. Then she force pulls the saber from the snow, perhaps the least justified force skill that Rey displays. However, dwelling on this misses the point of that moment, this is supposed to be a double metaphor, one she is finally and fully ready to embrace her destiny (a constant motif throughout the entire saga), and second that the lightsaber itself chooses Rey over Ren. In there first exchange Rens attacks are wild, flailing and mostly ineffectual. Rey's attacks on the other hand are sharp, controlled and disciplined but ultimately lack confidence and are somewhat hesitant so she driven onto the defensive. Then suddenly he stops and tries to convince her to join him, that he will train her etc, etc, why does he do this? Because he out of gas, he's got nothing left in the tank and he is trying to bluff his way out of the fight. In the process, he reminds her of the force, she then focuses and launches a series of attacks. They are the same basic attacks that she was using before, but delivered with more confidence and without any hesitation. Now that I think about it is Rey's character arc in miniature, she goes from hesitant to decisive. On a more surface level we know that Kylo Ren is trained, but how much actual hand to hand combat experience does he ever show. Sure he can slaughter villages and defenseless old men, but face another in a fair fight? He seems to go out of his way to avoid those. So Rey's "real world" experience trumps Kylo Ren's theoretical training.

20. Darth Cyn

Darth Cyn Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 8, 2014
    I mean, Rey's journey is far from complete, but, if she's not a Skywalker then hers. If she is, Luke's was, he was, like, the opposite of the Chosen One, the guy that could flip off destiny, that was pretty awesome.

21. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Rey's journey may be the best/most interesting of the three.

1. Female protagonist.
    2. We know so little, so it's a mystery.
    3. Luke had an absent father (retconned from being an orphan) and no mother. He lived with his aunt and uncle.
    4. Anakin only had a mother as his virgin birth. But she was killed.
    5. Rey has no know family, at least in this film. She could have lost her father or found her father. I'm going with the latter. So does she or does she not have a mother?

22. cc71

cc71 Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2015
    I agree. To me the mystery about Rey and how she got to Jakku and what her relationship with the force is and possibly has been like in the past. And how that fits into the other things that happened to our heroes. But it's hard to compare it, even if we only look at the first movies because Rey's storyline is clearly made with the knowledge of going into more detail in the following movies. With Luke in ep 4 you also have to see it as a standalone movie. I might go with Rey because I have so many questions I want answers to and I am excited about.

23. wian

wian Jedi Knight

Nov 11, 2012
    Didn't know where to post this, but wouldnt it be totally crazy if Ray was Palpatine's daughter, and the whole trilogy is about her turning to the Dark Side, and Kylo Ren Turns back to the Light side, and then he has to destroy her to bring balance to the Force

Now wouldnt that be a total Mind FU*K !!!

24. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
  25. Jay290

Jay290 Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2015
    Of the three I would go with Luke, though I think its close with Rey. The reason I went with Luke was I think his initial story arc felt more complete. He takes on the role of becoming hero, helps rescue Leia, and goes on to blow up the Death Star. I think it was a pretty nice self contained episode for Luke. If they had never made another Star Wars movie I think people would have considered Luke one of the great adventure/sci-fi characters. If they didnt make a sequel to TFA I think Rey would leave us feeling incomplete and that we never learned her story.