main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which KOTOR game has the best storyline?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by MikeDude66, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indigo45879

Indigo45879 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2008
    as many others have said, Kotor 1's plotline was more complete and polished. Since so much was cut from the sequels it just lacked, and the ending was a total cliffhanger, and left a bunch of holes in consistency. I did however, like the second's one music more then the first. It brought Malachor and korriban to life as dead, dark side coruppted, and haunting places. The first had an overuse of the sith theme (the theme in the sith bases and in the tombs on Korriban) and the sith theme battle music (the music when battling sith fighters from the ebon hawk)

2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    You know, it seems the only reason people say Kotor 2 is better is because it is darker.

Since when does darker equal better? That doesn't make a lick of sense.

Also, Kotor 2 was "deeper" and "more complex"-it was convoluted, pretentious and frankly, didn't make a lick of sense.
    Naturally, I bet someone is going to accuse me of just "not getting it", but I love philosophy. I love going into the nuances of things. I love personal, non-epic stories. Kotor 2 just pretended to have those things.

Needless to say, I liked KOTOR 1's story a lot more. It had a satisfying ending, it had interesting stories for every planet, it had had humor...

It had one of the greatest plot twists I have ever seen. Honestly, I see most coming a mile away. But I was totally caught off guard here. When I am surprised, it usually because the authors pull something of their ass. But on playing the game a second time, I realized they hinted at it, and joked about it, practically every other line.
    Now that is subtly.

It also had far more memorable characters. Frankly, every character in Kotor 2 that wasn't in Kotor 1 was easily forgetible. People like Jolee Bindo and Canderous were not only funny on a consistent basis, but also deep. One was a man who lived for war, and is ultimately trying to find a place in a world without one, to give meaning to his life beyond simple violence. The other,, seemingly a tired, cynical old man who, despite all he has lost, still has hope and love and faith in good.

OR even Malak. Otherwise like a generic big bad, his final remarks noting the gross unfairness of your victory: You corrupted him, and yet were the one who was redeemed.

3. Indigo45879

Indigo45879 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2008
    i agree with the idea that malak is the victim, but can't he be blamed for forgetting entirely about the true sith and why revan wasn't going on a "crush-kill-destroy" rampage?
    honestly, it seemed as if even the mandalorians were more preserving then he was, mandalore even noted that destroyed systems were of little use to him.

4. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I just beat KOTOR 2 last night even though I had to cheat in order not to play "Battle of Telos" et al again and I have to say that I agree with a lot of the people on here that KOTOR 2 had a lot more potential the first KOTOR, if only it wasn't rushed!

The first KOTOR reminded me very much of ANH, very swashbuckling and while rather dark at times it was, on the whole, rather positive. Bastila gets redeemed, battle with a Dark Lord, fantastic space battle and a great big explosion in space. Hoo-rah, isn't Star Wars fun? Playing KOTOR reminded me very much of how I felt when I watched ANH for the very first time. The stuff that fan dreams are made of. ME? A JEDI? WOW! ME? The BIG BAD SITH LORD? DOUBLE WOW!

Come to KOTOR 2 and a lot of things have changed. The Jedi Order was pretty much gutted, the Republic on it's last legs and the Mandalorians are just getting on their feet. The Jedi are not trusted and people see little difference between them and the Sith, just two religious orders fighting over the galaxy and using people as pawns. The galaxy is a much darker, mor dangerous place and I think this is reflected most of all on Nar Shaadaa, which was my favourite part of the whole game.

And most of all, the Jedi do not trust each other. It's a powerful scene on Dantooine when you have to submit to the Jedi Council's will to be stripped of the Force. Imagine if some doctor told you that your all your five senses have to be turned off for the good of all, that's what it'd be like.

There's also Kreia, who's right up there with Vergere of the NJO as she is neither a hero nor a villain and it may have been a cheap shot to have her as a Sith. Like Vergere, she simply could have been herself.

The only problem is the game is unfinished, it's like some essay that a college student has done with a lot of research and a brilliant introduction and body, and then he left the rest to the last minute and cobbled together a conclusion any-old-how. If the game had continued in the same vein at the end as it had in the beginning, I would have called it flawless. And I would have even forgiven Obsidian if they had given us a great ending scene, as I was like that's it? And the ending scene is what we are all playing for. Seeing the Exile farewell her companions and leaving on the Ebon Hawk, perhaps with T3 and Atton Rand/Visas Marr in tow, then setting off in search of Revan would have given us something to tide over the gaping hole left in the game in the third act.

I realise there was pressure for LucasArts to release the game, but couldn't they have just done a Diablo II and released an expansion later on? I realise the problems this would have had for X-Box players, but the PC version of KOTOR had things the X Box one didn't.

This would have at the VERY LEAST
    a. Fixed A LOT of the bugs
    b. Fixed a lot of the problems with gameplay that gamers would have identified and found solutions to them (like putting some sort of meter or number on characters so you can track Influence)
    c. Given us a much better time on Malachor V

And yes, KOTOR 2 is very much the ESB to KOTOR's ANH. All we need is a ROTJ to round it off.

5. RedBelcha

RedBelcha Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2008
    I think Kotor 1.

Kotor 2 felt like a cheap mod to me, the story was okay. It was not helped along by poorly designed levels that felt like big open square rooms all the time. If something does'nt feel right you lose your sence of reality suspension... Kotor 1 felt right. Kotor 2 didn't.

Did I just say reality suspension?

6. riverothethief

riverothethief Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2008
    I just finally got around to playing KOTOR 1 after playing through KOTOR 2 numerous times over the past few years. Perhaps that in itself impacts my opinion but I for one did not like the revelation that the main character is the Dark Lord Revan. Granted, I had heard most of the story line of Revan from KOTOR 2 already so I kind of felt obligated to roleplay my character a certain degree towards that.

When it did happen I just wasn't impressed. Not with the fact that he was Revan so much but more with my dialogue options. I mean if you were going light side with him can you imagine the impact if you found out that you are responsible for the deaths of thousands. How could you carry on like that without some serious, serious, positive, personal reinforcement of those around you. I felt for such a huge revelation it just wasn't followed up well. Not to mention I just don't like how incredibly weak you are compared to Darth Revan. Granted by the end of the game you equal and surpass that. I guess Im the only one that feels like that so far.

I just felt that for such a huge past there seemed like there was zero personal accountability for your actions and even less repercussions from those around you. How would Reven walk around unmasked over several planets, least of all Dantooine and people not recognize him. He was THE hero of the republic before putting on his mask and becoming Darth Revan. It just wasn't believable to me. Great idea, not believable.

7. jedinim

jedinim Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2007
    When KOTOR 1 first came out I'd never played an RPG before and I balked at it. then one day I just started playing it and all of a sudden I was a little kid seeing that star destroyer passing over the screen. The game blew me away and I've played it several times. Then a little more than a year later KOTOR 2 came out and I loved it. granted its missing alot, but it was rushed. but for all its glitches, it built on the first game and pushed further than the first. had it been complete when it came out it would've been the best game ever published. i still play these games over and over and I always find something new in them. 1 definately has a more solid story than than 2, but 2 has more depth and character to it. but it started with the first. they are both chapters to a large story, like the movies are. I just wish we were getting a third to complete the arch.

8. Subach

Subach Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2008
    I couldn't agree more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.