Which Lucas film got robbed at the Oscars?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Latorski, Sep 1, 2004.

?

Which Lucas film got robbed at the Oscars?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
American Graffiti (lost to The Sting) 2 vote(s) 1.2%
Star Wars (lost to Annie Hall) 27 vote(s) 16.2%
Raiders of the Lost Ark (lost to Chariots of Fire) 5 vote(s) 3.0%
all of them 26 vote(s) 15.6%
American Graffiti and Star Wars 4 vote(s) 2.4%
Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark 89 vote(s) 53.3%
Raiders of the Lost Ark and American Graffiti 2 vote(s) 1.2%
none of them 12 vote(s) 7.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Latorski Force Ghost

star 4
  2. Latorski Force Ghost

star 4
    I know Star Wars belongs elsewhere, but the poll seemed incomplete without it.

I vote for SW ans Raiders because I think The Sting is a worthy winner.
  3. GreenGreatWarrior Force Ghost

star 4
  4. darthtenbiscuits Force Ghost

star 7
    I voted American Graffiti. Both American Graffiti and Star Wars lost to inferior movies.
  5. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    I'm sorry, I like AG and all, but I think anyone who thought it should have won over The Sting must be crazy. The Sting is a brilliant film and one of my favourites.

I voted for SW and Raiders. First of all, Annie Hall?? WTH. Secondly, Chariots of Fire is one I really want to see but haven't been able to find to rent. So technically I can't speak about that one... but I can speak about Raiders, and Raiders is one of those few films I consider to be perfect.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  6. gator Jedi Knight

star 2
    I thought Annie Hall and Chariots of Fire were kinda boring, but The Sting was great.
  7. Atticus Jedi Master

star 4
    I could have sworn that Howard the Duck was up for Best Film, guess I was wrong. Anyway, I haven't seen any of the opposition, so I couldn't say, but I do think that Star Wars should have won because that was new and original, Annie Hall is just like all of Woody Allen's other movies, an annoying Jewish guy that gets laid by pretty ladies.
  8. Happy Ninja Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I wouldn't say that American Graffitti was "robbed" - Don't get me wrong, it was a great movie, but The Sting was also a great movie, and out of the two, I suppose it was fair to say that The Sting was the better out of the two, and the Academy reflected upon that by awarding BP to The Sting.

However, I do feel that both Raiders and Star Wars were robbed. Chariots of Fire, and Annie Hall were both boring monotonus movies that really didn't deserve to win. But you also have to think, "What makes a movie oscar-worthy? Why does the Best Picture award always seem to go to a crappy movie?"

In my opinion, the movie that should win the oscar, should not only be a great movie, but one that captures the heart and the immagination of the audience. Both Raiders and Star Wars did that in a way that Chariots of Fire and Annie Hall could have never done. It's like E.T. - Ghandi won the Best Picture of 1982, however, Ghandi was also a great movie, but I know a lot of people say that E.T. was "robbed"...I'm undecided on the subject, because I thought that Ghandi was an Oscar-Worthy film, but Lord Attenborough said during his acceptance speech that Steven Spielberg should be the one accepting the award because he felt that E.T. was a better movie than Ghandi...What a gracious thing to say; good on him!
  9. Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Star Wars

...aka Episode IV.
  10. Darth-Kevin-Thomas Force Ghost

star 5
    First of all, Annie Hall?? WTH. Secondly, Chariots of Fire is one I really want to see but haven't been able to find to rent. So technically I can't speak about that one...

i voted for AG and SW. I can't belive that Annie Hall beat it. Annie hall was fairly enjoyable but it was a bit lame. I'm not a fan of woody allen but this movie was kinda funny....i don't think it was great.
  11. DarthLazious Jedi Youngling

star 4
  12. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I chosed ANH/ROTLA. However I think THX-1138 and ESB should have both been nominated for the BP category. THX is truly innovate and to put it simple Empire is my #4 movie of all time. Top SW movie.
  13. WEEBACCA Jedi Master

star 4
    American Grafitti - Nominated for 5 Oscars, won none of them. A shame in my opinion as I consider AG to be one of the most genious movies ever made!

Star Wars - Won 7 Oscars, but was also nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay and Best supporting Actor (A.Guiness).
    In my opinion this is the most genious movie ever made and it should have gotten the Oscars for Best Picture, Best Directing and Best Original Screenplay! A shame that it didn't!!!

The Phantom Menace - Didn't win a single Oscar, but should have won for Best Visual Effects, Best Sound, Best Sound-effects editing, and Best Music!!!

I sure hope Revenge of the Sith can restore Oscar glory for Lucas - 'cause he deserves it!
  14. Master_JoeFox Jedi Knight

Come on people, let's be honest here, Ag was a fun movie, but it's not great... yes, it was something new, but unlike Star Wars, Ag wasn't mind-blowing so, in the case of American Grafitti Vs. The Sting, well for me there is no doubt there: The Sting!!

Star Wars was new, imaginative, and mind-blowing, but it was a fantasy movie, we all know that the academy (untill recently of course) never gave a BP oscar to what they considered a "fantasy" so there... but Annie Hall it's NOT a boring film, is pure comedic genius by woody allen, one of his finest achievements AND it was innovative (for a comedy) truly charming and Diane Keaton's intrepretation was masterfull, if Star Wars was not going to win, Annie Hall was the only other option there.

The only case where I truly feel LFL got robbed was with ROTLA, I mean, charriots of fire is a good film but in NO way better that Indy, who the hell remembers CHOF today? and who remembers Indy? I rest my case.

May the force be with y'all.
  15. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Raiders is more deserving of Best Picture then Return of the King IMO.
  16. KuDeGra Jedi Padawan

I choose all of them. Everything Lucas is doing in the industry is "cutting edge" and the rest of the industry is too afraid to embrace it... Lucas has always gotten "short changed".
  17. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    Star Wars didn't get screwed at the Oscars. It won 6 Academy awards.
  18. master_organa Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Star Wars (lost to Annie Hall)
  19. malducin Jedi Master

star 4
    Star Wars didn't get screwed at the Oscars. It won 6 Academy awards.

Yes but many (some might say clueless) consider the technical Oscars to be of less value. It didn't get Best Picture. In context or retrospect which film (SW or Annie Hall) had more impact or was more daring or whatever?
  20. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    If we're talking strictly in terms of Best Picture/Best Director, then yes Star Wars got royall screwed over.
  21. malducin Jedi Master

star 4
    If we're talking strictly in terms of Best Picture/Best Director, then yes Star Wars got royall screwed over.

Yes, hence the poll option Star Wars lost to Annie Hall.
  22. StarSmuggler Jedi Master

star 4
    I voted for Star Wars and Raiders. American Graffitti vs The Sting, well, I prefer American Graffitti. It isn't brilliant, but it is better than The Sting, IMO.
  23. flyingseal Jedi Master

star 4
    Both "Star Wars" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" were the most Oscar worthy movies of the year they got nominated in...
  24. Hades2021 Jedi Master

star 4
    Star Wars and Raiders should have won.
  25. JediSara Jedi Grand Master

star 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.