main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which Lucas film got robbed at the Oscars?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Latorski, Sep 1, 2004.

?

Which Lucas film got robbed at the Oscars?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. American Graffiti (lost to The Sting)

1.2%
  2. Star Wars (lost to Annie Hall)

16.2%
  3. Raiders of the Lost Ark (lost to Chariots of Fire)

3.0%
  4. all of them

15.6%
  5. American Graffiti and Star Wars

2.4%
  6. Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark

53.3%
  7. Raiders of the Lost Ark and American Graffiti

1.2%
  8. none of them

7.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    None of them.

2. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    I love American Graffitti, it's a masterpiece, and the sequel is a good one too, if you are a fan of the first! Star Wars got robbed, it was the most revolutionary movie in history and the impact it had on the world when it came out!

3. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    The one that gets me the most is Star Wars losing to Annie Hall.

I mean, if you compare the people who remember Annie Hall to the people who remember Star Wars, Star Wars totally pwns.

4. CrazySaber

CrazySaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2004
    The Academy hates Lucas and Star Wars, yet loves Peter Jackson and LOTR. Yet Peter Jackson often proclaims that SW was his biggest influence and he could've never made LOTR without the help of SW.

5. Apple7O7

Apple7O7 Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2005
    I feel that ANH got robbed. At the time that movie came out no one had ever seen anything like it. Watch other movies from around the time ANH came out, the quality is much worse, the effects are jokes, Star Wars really put a new page in movie-making. Best picture though... I dunno

6. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    . Yet Peter Jackson often proclaims that SW was his biggest influence and he could've never made LOTR without the help of SW.

Actually, it was King Kong that was his biggest influence, but still, I'm sure Star Wars is somewhere around that area also.

7. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    Let's look at some of the films that have been nominated for Best Picture and lost:

Citizen Kane
    Casablanca
    It's A Wonderful Life
    The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
    The Exorcist
    JAWS
    Taxi Driver
    Star Wars
    Raging Bull
    E.T.
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Goodfellas
    Pulp Fiction

Now, let's look at films that won best picture and are remembered to this day:

The Sting
    The Godfather (1 and 2)
    Rocky
    Schindler's List
    Forrest Gump
    Titanic
    ROTK

I believe Star Wars did get robbed as did Raiders, but let's face it, some of the best movies ever never won best picture.

8. Han_Solo_Fan_03

Han_Solo_Fan_03 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2005
    IMO, I think that technical Oscars do count, and our great achievments, but I believe that Star Wars and Raiders should have swept the Oscars.

9. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Star Wars and Raiders. I mean... Annie Hall???

10. colivo

colivo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 25, 2004
    I don't have a problem with Annie Hall winning Best Picture over ANH, but I think Lucas should have won the Best Director Award that year. I mean you can debate which is a better movie, but what Lucas did as director of that was never seen before.

Also, How come ESB wasn't nominated for Best Picture in 1980. I know that was the year of Raging Bull & Ordinary People, but ESB was a great movie.

I was too young in 1980, but was it because they didn't like that Lucas had another mega-hit? Was it because it was a sequel? Or did it just get overlooked? Anyone remember? Thanks

11. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I was also too young in 1980, but I believe ESB's reputation has grown over the years. I think it was well liked in 1980 and the ending shocked everyone, but it was not considered the "masterpiece" it is today.

12. YODAS_HALF_BROTHER

YODAS_HALF_BROTHER Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2002
    None of Lucas's films REALLY deserve anything but technical awards.

13. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    First off "ANH" was never nominated (two poster said it was robbed), Star Wars was.
    Star Wars is my favorite Lucas film, but Annie Hall is by far Woody Allen's best film. Who is more beloved between Lucas and Allen? Depends who you hang out with and when you as the question. They are two of the most important directors of the 1970s, and both deserve for their contributions, too bad they both came out in '77. SW is the best Sci-Fi/adventure film of all time, true; but Annie Hall is the only good romantic comedy in the history of cinema. Annie Hall is a great film, even if you don't like what Woody Allen became (gee, you could make a similar argument about Star Wars and Lucas), but this is a SW fan site not a WA one, so obviously the sympathy for Star Wars.

14. Le_Sammler

Le_Sammler Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 21, 2005
    Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark

15. Darth-Lutgerous

Darth-Lutgerous Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Star Wars and Raiders, but I have yet to see Annie Hall and Chariots of Fire.

16. paul01

paul01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2005
    Star Wars and Raiders....

17. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    Raiders.

18. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    I always felt Empire Strikes Back got the biggest snub job of all. It wasn't even nominated.

19. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Star Wars definitely.

Does anyone even remember Annie Hall? Or Woody Allen for that matter.

25 plus years later Star Wars is still making it's mark on the industry. Can Woody Allen or Annie Hall say the same thing?

20. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Yes, lots of people do remember Woody Allen. Some of us are eagerly awaiting the release of Match Point.

21. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Eugene_Meltsner_AIO Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2002
    Star Wars should've won Best Picture. 'Nuff said. Raiders of the Lost Ark--don't bring that up with me unless you want me to get intense. The big one that stands out for me is the fact that Chariots of Fire beat out Raiders in the Best Score category. [face_plain] COME ON!!! Seriously!!! I voted Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

22. DarthScully

DarthScully Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2001
    the most obvious choice on the poll is Star Wars. the mistake is obvious because of how much Star Wars resonated with people nearly 30 years after the fact and Annie Hall is only remembered of fondly in the foggy halls of old school hollywood.

i saw The Sting and i'd say its a pretty good film to go up against American Graffiti. in fact they're actually on equal footing so TS winning isnt as blatantly political as when Annie Hall won.

about Raiders losing to Chariots on Best Score= well dude, you gotta admit, Chariots of Fire has got a pretty memorable track. heck just play the first 6 notes and right away you know its from that film.

23. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I said Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Both movies are original and spectacular to see. While the films that won are good in their own right, Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark deserved to win, too.

24. lordstarscream

lordstarscream Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2006
    all of them..have u ever noticed that the academy will never give a lucasfilm a best picture award..that sucks to say the least lucas is a awesome filmaker and a master storyteller:)

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I agree, whole heartedly. Steven Spielberg should have won Best Director for that movie. The Indy trilogy in general and Raiders in particular is classic Spielberg and one hell of popcorn movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.