main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which Medium Is Best Suited for Fantasy/Sci-Fi?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by -RebelScum-, Feb 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    I'd say animation, the best fantasy and sci-fi I've seen that have not had to be high-budget are all animation, with some noteable exceptions (like the original SW which I don't believe was high budget) this does seem to be the case though of course that does not mean live-action is bad, not at all, but with brillaint movies like Spirited Away, The End of Evangelion, or any of the old-school (and therefore the good) Disney movies. And television series such as Fullmetal Alchemist, .hack//sign, Cowboy Bebop, and Neon Genesis Evangelion.

What do you think?

-The Scummy-

2. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    Animation makes sense, since the special effects budgets aren't as high for animation as for a live action sci-fi/fantasy movie. But, at the same time, some movies/tv shows wouldn't work as animation. I would've hated to see Buffy or Ange, or Jean-Luc animated.

3. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i agree. certain movies and tv shows would look good as animation while others would look better in live-action

4. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    It depends on the genre, I can't see an animated Alien movie. On the other hand I think I would prefered if Battlestar Galactica was animated.

I disagree, (except Jean Luc), animated Buffy will work. Its just we're used seeing Buffy and Angel in live-action that the idea of those shows being animated would simply seem odd.
    Animated Star Trek...well I'm mixed about that one, on one hand it seems stupid on the other hand you can have the most exotic aliens without seeming it too CGI/fake whatever.

Anyway some of my favourite SF and fantasy shows are infact animated :)

5. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    Their was an animated Star Trek. ;) As well as animated Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

-The Scummy-

6. Rouge Null

Rouge Null Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Animation now, live-action with CGI later, when the tech is perfected.

7. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Since we're on the subject. Buffy was also going to go animated at one point. It still gets kicked around every once in awhile as a future project.

8. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Didn't Joss recently proclaim the animated series dead? I think I read that in the official Buffy magazine.

There was also that animated Stargate series. Was that any good?

9. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I prefer Live Action and Action Packed for the genre. It also depends on the demographic. Something like Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends would be good animated, but Star Trek wouldn't.

One animated SciFi/Fantasy I likes the The Matrix: Final Flight of the Osiris. Definitely worked well on the animated medium.

10. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    If there is one truly best medium for the genre it's probably the written word. As far as live-action vs animation, I've seen both wonderful and dreadful in each. There's no champion.

11. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Television, because you can get a very good story arc out of the time that you have, and as some shows, like Stargate, Battlestar and Firefly have shown, they can look good too.

12. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Television with live action. I tend to prefer character-driven genre shows, and if you make animation good enough to show all the subtlety of a decent character, it's more expensive than live action. It's possible, though, witness Gollum and King Kong.

13. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    i agree. with books/scripts etc there is no limit to your own imagination. most of the time books of films are always better than the film itself, because the film is never quite how you imagined it would be whilst reading the book.

14. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    QFT+1 The written word allows individual readers to visualize the happenings of a story in whatever manner the reader wants. I love sitting down and reading a good fantasy or science fiction novel because as the quoted poster wrote, my only limitation is my own imagination.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.