main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which message board system is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Design - Sites and Graphics' started by darth_nemisis, Aug 20, 2009.

?

Which message board system is your favorite?

Poll closed Aug 20, 2009.
  1. phpBB (1,2,3)

12.5%
  2. vBulletin

25.0%
  3. Invision Power Board

6.3%
  4. Invisionfree

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Zetaboards

6.3%
  6. Proboards

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. IGNBoards

43.8%
  8. Other (Please specify)

6.3%
  1. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    Yikes, that's probably a good thing. Can't say I'm a big fan of that interface.

I remember a long time ago (back when it was rumored that IGN was dropping us) that we were going to possibly switch to vBulletin. If I'm not mistaken Matt (Dingo) ported the usercolor feature to vB.

2. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    If I remember correctly, he wrote the usercolor script, allowing it to work on the new boards, and I did the "choose your colors" page. Of course, I could be wrong about that, as there were 4 of us writing all the custom scripts at the time - Dingo, myself, Night4554, and YodaJeffffff.

3. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Jeez, that seems so long ago now.

I have to say there is a nice simplicity to the layout of the JC. The only thing I've found is that it works well on a large board but it's kinda strange on a really small board. We (Lord Tuvitor and I) found this out when we ported the IGN style to phpBB 2.0.x.

Nemesis ported the IGN style to phpBB 3.0.x. It looks really good from what I've seen of it.

4. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    I like IGN, because of the reasons given.

I do however like vBulletin and it is used on another forum I frequent.

And the Hailboards that were used by Salty and co looked great!

5. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Hailboards was a lot of fun looking back on it now. The hours I spent adding modifications wasn't all that much fun though.

6. jedichef1

Aug 17, 2004
    I can imagine, although some of the modifications you made were great.

The colours for mods etc looked great, and the themes were really good.

7. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I'd love to take credit for that but a lot of that stuff was made by others. I just put it all together and made it work. The only things I actually created was the Manager Panel and the Avatar Gallery pagination. The rest of the stuff I did was bug fixing and theme fixes.

8. jedichef1

Aug 17, 2004
    It was great anyway!

And I would just like to say the new IGN interface is meh!

9. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I agree. That new UI is terrible. I get wanting to keep the same look between your forums and site, but that's a little much.

10. jedichef1

Aug 17, 2004
    I know he has said we wont but please Grimby, never go that way!

11. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    [face_laugh]

I completely agree.

12. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    Yes, the new IGN setup is absolute rubbish. That said, the hB days were a lot of fun. I learned a lot about coding and stuff just rewriting certain phpBB features to function like IGNboards.

13. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Wow, this is the first time I've seen the new IGN layout. I do not like that at all. I'm glad this place didn't decide to use it.

The hailBoards were awesome. I'm glad I got into that because re-doing it (albeit not as good) for phpBB3 was a lot of fun. It took a while though, and was too much for me to handle by myself so it kind of died. :(

14. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    LT and I have been discussing reviving hB. We don't really need to add features these days because 3.0.x is really solid featurewise. I think at this point we'd just make themepacks and a few tweaks here and there.

stormBoards was really well done Nemesis.

15. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    That'd be awesome if you guys started that up again. You guys can feel free to use anything I did/use my styles that I made if you guys want. I doubt you guys would need it, but thought I'd offer.

And thanks; I always appreciate a compliment, especially from someone from whom practically sparked my interest in it. :)

16. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Any time man. It sucks the spam bots were so prevalent for such a long time. That really annoyed a lot of people and turned them off from phpBB 3.0.x.

I was looking around today on the phpBB forums, trying to get an idea of what MODs and tweaks I'd want to add to a package. 3.0.7 is coming is coming out relatively soon so I'll probably wait until then to get started.

17. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Yeah, the spambot thing was definitely an annoyance.

I am not sure if it is still available, but you should definitely take a look at the usercolor mod this one guy made (I can't remember his name for the life of me). It was excellent. I don't know if you were able to play around with it, I know LT did. It works just like it works here on the IGNBoards where users can change their own colors. It was a great modification.

18. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Trel's mod is still available. I subscribed to his thread so I can see any posts that are made to it. I never got a chance to play around with it though.