main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which Movie Has the Most Believability Issues?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by MidKnighT, Jan 20, 2016.

?

Which Movie Has the Most Believability Issues?

1. Ep I: The Phantom Menace

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Ep II: Attack of the Clones

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. Ep III: Revenge of the Sith

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. Ep IV: A New Hope

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Ep V: The Empire Strikes Back

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Ep VI: Return of the Jedi

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  7. Ep VII: The Force Awakens

25 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. Mother of Dragons

Mother of Dragons Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    Then to me that just makes the Jedi seem stupid. Like I said, balance means light and darkness are equal, not that one destroys the other. There is no light without darkness and no darkness without light. During the time of the prequels there are references to the Dark Side becoming more powerful and the Jedi ability to use the force diminishing, but I still don't get how they thought destruction of the Sith meant automatic balance. And I don't think the total number of Jedi vs. the total number of Sith comes into play. So either the concept of "balance" is a misnomer, or the Jedi were wrong. The whole prophecy thing is a head-scratcher, because, let's face it, George Lucas isn't exactly Christopher Nolan when it comes to being a philosophical screenwriter.

2. Purple Ren

Purple Ren Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2015
    I completely agree that the Jedi of the PT (except Qui-Gon) had an incomplete view of the force.

3. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    Someone had mentioned elsewhere during a similar conversation - and I'm paraphrasing a bit here - that "balance" to the Jedi meant something more in the way of the Force being in a "copasetic" state; not so much about a necessary equilibrium of Light and Dark. With each viewing of the saga and Clone Wars, I could totally see them possessing that sort of mindset, with (what I see as) the undercurrent of arrogance and hubris that runs through the Jedi Order.

Sarge likes this.
  4. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    That's precisely the problem : there is a massive gap between "Balancing the Force" and "Destroying our ennemies". So how come all Jedi so easily accepted they meant the same thing ? (it took Yoda 12 years ... to just raise aan eyebrow... hurray)
    Just in this forum, you can see 3 or 4 different interpretations for it, and most of them have extremely dangerous implications for the whole Jedi Order ...

And speaking about the prophecy, whose genius idea was it to let the most important being in the universe be trained by the least experimented teacher ever ? I mean, what could go wrong ?

Anyway, no point in going more in depth on that topic : after all, it was just a "super-power dispenser" for Anakin, with no actual influence on the plot. (at least as far as movies are concerned, i'm sure the EU tried to make something out of it).
    In fact, the PT make more sense if you remove all mentions of the prophecy...

DarthCricketer likes this.
  5. Purple Ren

Purple Ren Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2015
    I think the interpretation that the Jedi were going with was wrong, but then I view the balance of the force as utilizing both sides while favoring neither.

I think having Obi-Wan be Anakin's master speaks to how dismissive of Anakin the Jedi Council was. Which, I think was a big mistake. If they hadn't been so dismissive, they'd have done the right thing and made Anakin Yoda's padawan.

6. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    MidKnighT wrote

Actually going back to ROTJ, it was a mistake to make Leia Luke's sister to begin with. That created a giant continuity mess than ROTS and TFA couldn't fix.

Well, I'd say ROJ is not to blame, the continuity mess started when RotS made Leia a baby that could remember the death of her mother moments after her birth...;)

7. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I said AOTC because I cannot buy the notion that Padme would choose to be with Anakin within the context of that film. I also feel that Obi-Wan and Yoda would have been able to figure out that Darth Tyranus had helped to orchestrate the clone army.

8. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    I can't decide between the unbelievable romance in Clones or both the dunce cap fall and the instant dying of grief in Sith. I'm leaning towards Sith it has more and more important stuff that is hard to buy no matter how far turned up suspension of disbelief because of straight up phoniness rather than regular old being improbable to impossible.

Telling physics to get lost and absurd luck I can handle just fine, not being able to sell what is being presented and dumb story choices is where you loose me.

9. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    AOTC. From Kenobi somehow catching Anakin in the speeder chase to Padme and Anakin marrying which is beyond disbelief.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  10. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    None of them are too unbelievable to me.

11. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    OT fans in shambles.

None of them. It's SW. Not Bill Nye.

zisme, Ezon Pin and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  12. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    This

Deliveranze likes this.
  13. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    ESB.

The whole space slug thing...come on!

ObiWanKnowsMe and Deliveranze like this.
  14. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015

LOL great avi to post to sig correlation [face_laugh]

ObiWanKnowsMe, Ezon Pin and Dandelo like this.
  15. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

No it doesn't, that would be a foolish thing to do. By taking out the Prophecy, you are leaving out the vital narrative that concludes within the PT and OT. They are of a poetic nature and by taking it out, it leaves out the depth of it.

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There is only one interpretation and that is what Lucas himself said.

"The first film starts with the last age of the Republic; which is it's getting tired, old, it's getting corrupt. There's the rise of the Sith, who are now becoming a force, and in the backdrop of this you have Anakin Skywalker: a young boy who's destined to be a very significant player in bringing balance back to the Force and the Republic.

In the second film, we get into more of that turmoil. It's the beginning of the Clone Wars, it's the beginning of the end of democracy in the Republic, sorta the beginning of the end of the Republic, and it's Anakin Skyalker beginning to deal with some of his more intense emotions of anger, hatred, sense of loss, possessiveness, jealousy, and the other things he's coping with.

Then we will get to the 3rd film, where he is seduced to the dark side, which brings up to films four, five, and six, where Anakin's offspring redeem him & allow him to fulfill the prophecy where he brings balance to the Force by doing away with the Sith and getting rid of evil in the universe."

--George Lucas, The Star Wars Trilogy VHS Boxset 2000.

"It's not that they can't see the dark side coming, it's just that the dark side begins to envelop everything. It's like walking into a fog. The Jedi's ability to see lessens as the dark side grows."

--George Lucas, Starlog Magazine Interview

"As evil begins to take over, it pushes the Force out of balance."

--George Lucas, AOTC DVD Commentary.

"The thing of it is: The prophecy was right. Anakin was the chosen one, and he does bring balance to the Force. He takes the one ounce of good still left in him and destroys the Emperor out of compassion for his son."

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith; page 221

"I think it is obvious that [Qui-Gon] was wrong in Episode I and made a dangerous decision, but ultimately this decision may be correct. The “phantom menace” refers to the force of the dark side of the universe. Anakin will be taken over by dark forces which in turn destroy the balance of the Galaxy, but the individual who kills the Emperor is Darth Vader—also Anakin. The tale meanders and both the prediction and Qui-Gon are correct—Anakin is the chosen one, and he did bring peace at last with his own sacrifice. Luke couldn't kill the Emperor himself, but he could make Anakin reflect on his life and kill the Emperor."

--George Lucas, Cut Magazine interview, 1999.

"I wanted to have this mythological footing because I was basing the films on the idea that the Force has two sides, the good side, the evil side, and they both need to be there. Most religions are built on that, whether it's called yin and yang, God and the devil—everything is built on the push-pull tension created by two sides of the equation. Right from the very beginning, that was the key issue in Star Wars."

--George Lucas, Time Magazine Article 2002.

"If good and evil are mixed things become blurred - there is nothing between good and evil, everything is gray. In each of us we to have balance these emotions, and in the Star Wars saga the most important point is balance, balance between everything. It is dangerous to lose this. In The Phantom Menace one of the Jedi Council already knows the balance of The Force is starting to slip, and will slip further. It is obvious to this person that The Sith are going to destroy this balance. On the other hand a prediction which is referred to states someone will replace the balance in the future. At the right time a balance may again be created, but presently it is being eroded by dark forces."

--George Lucas, Cut Magazine Interview, 1999.

"The overriding philosophy in Episode I—and in all the Star Wars movies, for that matter—is the balance between good and evil."

--George Lucas, Star Wars: The Making of Episode I, 1999.

They know that a man named Tyranus, not Darth since Jango never says that part of the name, was involved. But they did not know for certain if Sifo-Dyas was involved or not, or who Tyranus was. But they did find out...eventually.

17. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    This. It was deja vu for Leia and Han.

18. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

Great episode. Also, nice quotes from Lucas.

19. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    SateleNovelist11 That's why I love TCW. Fills in a lot of missing information in the prequels.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  20. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

Couldn't have said it better. :)