main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which movie scene freaked you out as a child?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Le_Sammler, Jul 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi-dave_cannoli

obi-dave_cannoli Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2005
    i didn't read the whole thread yet, so if this is a repeat, i apologize.
    there is a movie called "trillogy of terror" and the one story has this little voodoo guy that attacks people and kills them. at the end where (i think it's karren black?) is now possessed by the creature and she's sitting there with a knife and that demented look on her face waiting for her mother to come over. that really creeped me out as a kid.

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I loved that movie when I was a child. I own it on dvd now.

3. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    When I was really, really little, the witch from Snow White scared the bejeezes out of me.

4. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Warlock
    - Julian Sands fancies a guy's ring so he takes it (he also does some other rather disturbing stuff)

5. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    the first alien movie. saw it when i was like 8. but now the alien movies are one of my favorite movie series.

6. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Nope, I can see why you'd think that because of the Darth Vader bit, but the movie described is actually Roland Emmerich's "Making Contact". Reading Darth Damo's description, it sounded like "Making Contact" to me, But I didn't remember any Darth Vader appearance. In doing some research about it, it turns out that the German uncut version does, indeed, have Darth Vader. Here's a link to a DVD review that includes this:

"One theory I have as to why it was shortened for
    its US release is due to all the visual references to "Star Wars". It would
    have been one heck of a lawsuit.

Anchor Bay's 2-disc set features Widescreen versions of both cuts of the
    film. Video quality is quite good and actually shows the shortcomings of the
    special effects of the time. Audio quality is as good as can be expected for
    a film that has been looped for the English version and dubbed for the German
    one. English subtitles are provided for the German release. As for extras,
    there are theatrical trailers on both discs and, I suspect if you want to get
    technical, the longer German cut could be considered a major extra itself
    since it has never been released here before.

It's really too bad that there wasn't an English language re-release of
    "Making Contact" since it might have done well because of the Star Wars
    references. I mean, how many of us would love to come face to face with
    Darth Vader himself like one child does in the film? It's still a confusing
    story that seems to cross a number of genres in search of it's own message
    and way of delivering it, but remains watchable nonetheless. Fans of
    Emmerich's work and the Sci-Fi genre in general are bound to want to collect
    this special edition."

Unfortunately, that Anchor Bay set is out of print. I'd love to see this Darth Vader appearance.

7. GoJo

GoJo Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2005

Anyone remembered the 1978 evil dummy movie with Anthony Hopkins called "Magic"? now that movie terrified the living crap out of me when i was 4 back in 1986 when i watched it on video, along with "Making Contact" ( a.k.a. Joey) made me fear dummies until i was 11 when i conquered my fear of them.

8. DurronFan

DurronFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    I saw Evil Dead when I was 9. Enough said.

9. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    My dad introduced me to Star Wars when I was five and, even though i adored the film, Darth Vader scared the crap out of me. Every time he came on screen, I'd just bolt and hide behind one of the chairs and yell at my dad to tell me when he was gone.

10. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    The chestbuster scene.

11. masterluke9

masterluke9 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    E.T scared the crap out of me, I have trouble when crossdressers jump out at me still.

12. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Some horrible B movie in the '70's called "Manatou".
    This lady grew a lump on her back and it gave birth to this evil indian dwarf, disturbing.

13. GoJo

GoJo Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2005

Oh come on, Child's Play didn't scare me as a kid! NOW "Magic" (1978 with Anthony Hopkins) there's a truly horrifying evil doll movie that was responsible for my fear of dummies at the age of 4 in 1986, the dummy in that movie is far worse than "Chucky".

Any 70's kid here would remember the scary trailers and ads to "Magic" back in 1978 featuring the dummy sitting on a stool saying a eerie poem as the camera is drawing slowly to his face as he says "Abracadbra, i sit on his knee, hocus pocus now he is me, presto chango we take her to bed, magic is fun..." then as we see his close-up face his eyes open then they turn then his mouth opens saying " When you're deaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad"!.

14. sabrecmc

sabrecmc Jedi Master star 1

Feb 18, 2002
    I can't think of anything that freaked me out more as a child than that creepy clown doll in Poltergeist. Don't look under the bed!!!

15. MystikalMaceWindu

MystikalMaceWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2005
    I remember watching that first Star Trek motion picture, and I was crying like a baby near the end of it, when the ship is flying, and the sound's loud and bright lights are flashing, I was crying like such a big wimp.

16. Pina_Coladas

Pina_Coladas Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 11, 2006
    The final scene in the original version of The Fly was beyond creepy.

"Help meeeeeee.....help meeeeee!"

17. TheMaidofOrleans

TheMaidofOrleans Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2005
    I saw the original Exorcist on tv. When the little girl was in bed and her head turned completely around.

18. darkjedi8906

darkjedi8906 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2004
    I was 5 when I saw the movie IT.. Clowns still scare me

19. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    E.T.......I just couldn't stand the start when he was out in the woods. I couldn't go out the back at night for years.....[face_worried]

20. Angel_Jedi_Master

Angel_Jedi_Master Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 18, 2002
    In Fantasia, Night On Bald Mountain still freaks me out so bad.
    Also: This one sequence in Cats (it was on TV once when I was seven) when the evil cat (forget the name) is screwing around with everyone. I still get images of that in my head and it freaks me out.

21. REVANLORD

REVANLORD Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    When I was 9 I saw Stephen King's IT on TV for Halloween. I thought I wasn't going to be scared of "some stupid clown".

Try no sleep for 36 hours. At 9. [face_plain]

But this year I read the novel "IT" and found it a good read, and finally Pennywise slept.

Or at least for 26 years. [face_clown] :p

Other than the shower scene in IT, I saw "Arachnaphobia" when I was 4. (A bunch of fresman had me watch it with the door locked, I am scared of spiders to this day. Thanks guys. [face_plain] ) I saw Misery when I was 11, but it was more disturbing than scary.

Which makes the poster you see here. <---- :p

The Hooded One

22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Hannah Barbea did this cartoon version of the story of Exodus when I had when I was a little kid.

The Angel of Death was this thick black cloud, and they had this scene where it was just sliding over stuff and turning things into corpses. It went on for a good while, too. Used to scare the heck out of me.

23. Zombi_2_1979

Zombi_2_1979 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2005
    The final scene of Freaks.

Basement in Psycho.

The dead remains upstairs in Night of the Living Dead. In fact this film had alot of disturbing frights for a young boy.

The psycho stalker and screamer in The Hunter circa 1980, starring Steve McQueen. ****!!!!

24. WEEBACCA

WEEBACCA Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2004
    Jurassic Park. I was 11 years old when I saw it in a theater back in 1993. I remember it as very scary and it gave me nightmares for weeks.
    The T-Rex attacking the cars in the dark rainy night was one of the scariest moments, as well as the Velociraptor scenes.

25. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom.
    -Mola Ram ripping hearts out. And all that stuff in the Temple. Now it is one of the greatest, fun-est, and most delightfully hammy movies I have ever seen in my life. I laugh almost every time I see it. Plus some of the camera work is superb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.