main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which newly created character in FanFic is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Talon Squad Leader, Mar 6, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talon Squad Leader

Talon Squad Leader Former Manager star 5

Dec 22, 1999
    Which newly created character in FanFic is your favorite? I don't mean one like Han Solo or one created in a book like Mara Jade. I mean one that has been created by our own authors here at JC. Please post your favorites here.

As for me, I still have to think about it (and read some more FanFic's to decide).

2. Purp

Purp Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 1999
    Well, I admit I only read a fraction of the fanfics on this forum, so I've hardly seen all the new characters. I do have my favorites, though.

I always liked Geoff Morton's Darth Malice from Forces of Deception. Just one of those guys that gave you the creeps whenever they were in a scene.

Cloudreaper's Hey-Jin Sakkari (I hope I spelled that right) from What If in Episode One? was also a very intriguing character. His sudden blindness could easily have crippled him, yet with his quiet determination, he became more formidable than ever.

Actually, now that I think about it, almost all of the stories I read deal almost entirely with established characters. I can't think of any other original characters that really stand out. Well, except for one, of course. Who could ever forget the deadliest Sith Lord of them all, Darth Skeet?

[This message has been edited by Purp (edited 03-06-2000).]

3. Firefly

Firefly Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 1999
    I think I'll have to go with.. jeez, it's been too long since I last read "gon and dun wrote a dern fanfic". It's one of the padawans in that, but I can't remember his name.. I'll have to get back to you.

4. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    Well, I'm only reading one thread populated by largely original characters (well, now there are three, but they're the same characters -- the Sith Order stories). In those, I'm very fond of Rogue11's Coris Hakim, and Loka Hask's Karik and Jastiss Otonna.

5. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    I admit, I don't read too many fan fics here, and the ones I have read, have all been about established SW and EU characters.

Generally, when someone goes to the trouble of creating a new character, they are generally well thought out and created well.

6. Corbin Ryder

Corbin Ryder Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 1999
    Mairoh the Warrior Goddess and Son of Kenobi are working on a story using their own characters...they're not exactly new but I always find their stories enjoyable and refreshing, and recommend them to all of you.

May and SoK and I worked together and with young Elisia to write a couple of stories last year, under the Galahad titles. I would recommend these as well, as we're very proud of the stories. At the time I was writing under another alias and using another character, Dath Sindar, now deceased.

All the other fan fiction I've read on here has dealt largely with established characters from the movie and EU.

7. Firefly

Firefly Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 1999
    Dagan Conner. That's the name I was after. He rocks.

Forum9/HTML/000990.htmlI gone and dun' wrote a dern fan-fic!!

If you people haven't read this, do so. It's the best thing I've read here.

8. Jedi Igraine

Jedi Igraine Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 20, 1999
    My vote is for Alli-Wan's whole cast of characters in Jedi Dreams, but especially Axin.

Igraine

9. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    Oh... how could I forget Jedi Skysong's Isabel Tashin, from "The Penitent"?

(BTW, the stories I've mentioned so far are at:

The Sith Order Stories
    Forum9/HTML/001727.htmlSith Order: Dark Uprising
    Forum9/HTML/001807.htmlSith Order: Aspects of the Force

Forum9/HTML/001294.htmlThe Penitent )

10. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I like the tratorous(sp) Jedi Master McClain freom Victory Squadron.

I also like my other 2 char., Qui-Sein and Athek Delph from JediSabre77's Satr Wars: Dark Forces of the NJO: Wraiths Reborn.

11. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Well, I don't know how recently he was created but I think it has to be Jane Jinn's An-Paj. He's always on hand with a sticking plaster and a pair of rubber gloves...what a healer. What a guy!

And six wives to his credit, and he still has a smile on his face! Hang on a moment.

That's probably WHY he has a smile on his face...

12. light_sabe_r

light_sabe_r Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Gotta love An-Paj

13. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Don't forget An-Paj's tendency to "do first, explain later", especially if it makes life easier for him while treating difficult patients like Obi-Wan.

14. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    I haven't been a member of the JC very long, so I would have to say-
    Rohnin Darkil from Kit's Fitting In
    Che'ka Demarge from Mekial's Lightsabers and Baby Bottles
    The Late Zoe from Jane Jinn's Obi-wan's Shotgun Wedding

15. Talon 20

Talon 20 Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2000
    I like Tuurgn (well...she is my only fanfic chatachter, but still...), a Togorian who is serving in Talon Intelligence Squadron. I also like Mara Jade, Emperor's Hands bounty hunter. Can't think of the name though...

16. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Can I put my own character in here

Matt Stryker, the deaf Jedi who has learned to "hear" with the Force. He has an apprentice, Saara Ralos, and she is pretty cool two. They have only been in one story, The Dark Tide and it's continuation/sequel Temptations of the Dark Side
    Forum16/HTML/000433.htmlMatt Stryker

17. Jedi McGregor's girl

Jedi McGregor's girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 27, 1999
    I really like the ones in "A Time For Everything." But I really Love Ellk. He is cool. Plus I like Lria too. Ok I like them all, but I have to it's my story and I love all my characters.

18. Jedi Kylenn

Jedi Kylenn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 1999
    Hehe, my vote goes to the goofballs and troublemakers that populate Jemmiah's stories, Jane Jinn's An-Paj and Ellie from "The Sixth Bodyguard."

19. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Sad to say, but my favorite character is my own Ellia Monas[/i] from "The 6th Bodyguard. Other favorites has to be zoefrom Obi's Shotgun Wedding. Also, Cheka!

20. RogueJai

RogueJai Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2000
    Cali-Ana. Definitely. Of course I like An-paj, jane, ane, ani, sifa, and all the other Ultra Stressed characters, but of all the originals I've read, Cali's my favorite. Amidollee's Allai (i think) in Unwanted Allies, Unexpected Enemies, runs a close second.

21. Knight Obi Wan

Knight Obi Wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 17, 1999
    My vote is a close one and I'll have to call it a tie between An-Paj by Jane Jinn and Zaize, Obi-Wan's betrothed in Jodiwent's To Stand Alone.

22. Jedi_Daphne

Jedi_Daphne Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 30, 2000
    Mine would have to be An-Paj and Jemmiah. Those two are just.... perfect.

23. Jace Taran

Jace Taran Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2000
    Can anyone tell me what the best effects software is? I would also like to know any easier ways of doing sabers than frame-by-frame, and some bluescreen tips (lighting, fabric, best program to do it with). And I would like to know what a good DV camera is, compatible with firewire. Also, how did some of you make your stuff so good with the budgets you had? I am going to make a fan film, and there are things that I realize would be cost probhibitive (such as Stormtroopers; good armor costs $475 each), so if anyone could tell me a cheap way of making the armor, has used armor to sell (would prefer 5 for $500, but that's unrealistic), or an extra 5,000 + to donate (lol), tell me. Oh, and if anyone has anything they learned the hard way, could you please tell me? Anyone that gives me any helpful info, I will give them some info. I have info on the "correct" style of saber fighting, a very good way to get a TPM saber clip, and even a link to someones page who gives instructions on how to build an Obi-Wan EP1 style saber (personally, I would modify it). Hmmm...just had a though...my movie would be a good MAJOR project for TFN (and a lot of help for me...) because the script is 40 pages. (I can feel you wince right as you read this)

24. BlueGrot

BlueGrot Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2000
    http://www.studiocreations.comwww.studiocreations.com for troopers.

25. lokmer

lokmer Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2000
    Okay, first things first: Stormtrooper armor building instructions can be found at the following site http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/index.html http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/index.html it contains everything you never wanted to know about vacuforming plastic.

Second, software. Frame by frame is the only way that sabers can be done. However, painting them frame by frame is perhaps the most arduous method I've heard of. Clay Kronke came up with a way to do it with Ulead, he might be willing to elucidate for you. Me, personally, I prefer Axogon Composer http://www.axogon.com http://www.axogon.com it costs $60 to register after a seven week full-featured demo. I can send you a tut for doing sabers with this program. Basically you draw a box around your saber, move the box in each frame, then paint the box in the entire movie. No exporting to filmstrips or .jpgs for mucking aobut in photoshop. It's quicker, and easier, and the results look as good or better with a little practice. Axogon also does lightning, morphing, wipes, time warps, crossfades, titles, and everything else your standard FX software can do. If you need to do 3d and plan on doing it yourself (and don't already know another 3d program) get Blender http://www.blender.nl http://www.blender.nl it's completely freeware, and every bit as powerful and versatile as 3DSMAX and LightWave.

Good DV cameras (BTW, every DV camera I've ever seen comes with a firewire port and cable) run about $700 at the low end, unless you can find a last year's model on clearance. Sharp makes decent ones, Sony's Digital8 is nice, Cannon's XL1 is fantastic (but it's close on to $2k). The way I'd recommend doing it is: Go to your local Good Guys (or whatever electronics store is near by), and test out the DV cams and find one you like that is within your budget. Find two or three that you wouldn't mind owning. Then, log on to http://www.dealtime.com http://www.dealtime.com and comparison shop for that model (this is a nifty website that'll get you the best price currently posted with online retailers).

Tips: for location shooting: Don't forget the cooler (and drinks) and the camera batteries. Don't forget any little costume accessories that you'll need (belt clips, face paint, etc). Use a marker board - makes editing easier. If shooting a saber duel, make sure your actors STRETCH - no one wants a pulled hamstring from throwing a kick or doing a fall without stretching. And, most important of all, Have fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.