main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which of the 6 films is your FAVORITE?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by DarthSapient, May 19, 2005.

?

Which of the 6 films is your FAVORITE?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. The Phantom Menace

1.1%
  2. Attack of the Clones

1.8%
  3. Revenge of the Sith

42.7%
  4. A New Hope

13.9%
  5. The Empire Strikes Back

31.6%
  6. Return of the Jedi

9.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    ROTS is better than ESB.

by a landslide!

2. eighteights

eighteights Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2005
    ^^^^
    I totally agree.

3. Boba_Fett_00

Boba_Fett_00 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    The Empire Strikes Back is my favorite
    Revenge of the Sith probably second
    my least favorite is the phantom menace

4. Mouchster

Mouchster Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2002
    I've now seen ROTS for the 5th time, and what ever doubts I had are gone, it has surpassed Empire as my favoirte Star Wars movie. I had always thought Empire was a perfect movie, but the tragicness of ROTS and the emotional reponse I get everytime I view has surpassed the emotions of Empire. Here is my new order:

1) Revenge of the Sith (10/10)(Sith allowed me to enjoy the prequels more than the O.T)

2) Empire Strikes Back (10/10)(Still a perfect movie in every sense.)

3) Attack of the Clones (9.5/10)(I love this movie, especially the love story, Clones brought the prequels on par with the O.T)

4) Return of the Jedi (8.5/10) (The beginning and end is what this movie is all about, a weak middle, keeps it from going any higher.)

5) The Phantom Menace (8.5/10) (The movie builds as it moves ahead, there is better pacing and more action than A New Hope.

6) A New Hope (8.0/10) (This is the 1 movie which time has diminished for me, especially since the prequels came out. It is slow to build, little action, and even the famous duel seems lacking after the prequels. The space battle I always found rather long and boring. But A New Hope does have some of the best humor of the entire saga.

5. ___Obi-1___

___Obi-1___ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2004
    01- ROTS: Go watch it once again and you'll find out...
    02- AOTC: Great movie, nice plot, nice, yet short, fights..
    03- TESB: Nice flick, lot's of stuff happening, Yoda and Vader are the highlights...
    04- ANH: TEH classic, the heart of the Saga, Obi-Wan is the highlight...
    05- ROTJ: It could have been the best SW movie ever, but the way the Ewoks beat a whole legion is not acceptable; Luke, Vader and Sidious are the Highlights
    06- TPM: Could have been a great movie, but basing the plot on Jar Jar wasn't a good choice, and the acting is very poor; Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Maul are the Hightlights...

6. point5pastlightspeed

point5pastlightspeed Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2004
    It's really tough for me to choose between ANH and TESB, but in the end I decided to vote for ESB. I enjoyed ROTS a lot, but I don't know where it fits into my rankings of the movies yet.

7. Yaddle_Fantasy

Yaddle_Fantasy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
    After a few weeks of settling in and watching ROTS 8 times I feel confident that ESB will remain light years ahead in the #1 slot.

8. yasmin74

yasmin74 Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2005
    Empire Strikes Back
    Revenge of the Sith
    A New Hope
    Attack of the Clones
    Return of the Jedi
    The Phantome Menace

9. LadyVADAR

LadyVADAR Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2005
    Revenge of the Sith beat out Empire Strikes Back which was my fave for years

10. Aiwendil

Aiwendil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    1. A New Hope - The best movie ever made, in my opinion. Perfect pacing, great characters, excellent dialogue, beautiful cinematography, thrilling action sequences - everything about it is good (except Greedo shooting first).

2. Revenge of the Sith - In some ways a very unpolished movie, with some flaws. The pace was almost absurdly fast at times. But there were quite a few moments of brilliance. The plot was convincing. The characters were compelling. The dramatic and emotional impact of the movie made up for a few terrible lines and some instances of poor pacing.

3. Attack of the Clones - A very solid movie in almost every way; the chief flaw is the dialogue in just two or three scenes. Comes close to ANH in terms of narrative flow and pacing.

4. Return of the Jedi - I'm not a fan of the way the Ewoks were done, but I do like the concept of the primitives defeating the technological empire. The movie is low on plot, but that's to be expected since it's the climax of the saga. A few excellent scenes stand out - Yoda's death, Luke's conversations with Leia and later with Vader, and particularly the climactic Emperor-Vader-Luke scenes. But the Jabba's palace material is weaker, and the disjunction between that portion of the movie and all that follows gives the movie a lack of cohesion.

5. The Phantom Menace - I hate Jar-Jar, but after all his antics are only a fairly superficial part of the movie. The plot is excellent and on the whole it's very well directed. The pod race and the lightsaber duel are among my favorite sequences in the saga.

6. The Empire Strikes Back - Don't misunderstand; I love this movie. It's my sixth favorite movie of all time. I just don't happen to love it as much as I love the others. It suffers from a bit of the same two-movie syndrome as RotJ. It has good action sequences, a good plot, and so on, but on the whole I just find that they are not as good as in the other episodes. Where this movie does surpass the others is in its dialogue and humor.

11. panned

panned Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2005
    ROTS!

AOTC

ESB

ANH

TPM

ROTJ

12. Starwars_1977-1983

Starwars_1977-1983 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2004
    1-ROTS *****
    2-ESB*****
    3-ANH*****
    4-ROTJ***

5-AOTC**
    6-TPM*

13. Richard-Drahcir

Richard-Drahcir Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    1 rots
    2 tesb
    3 rotj
    4 aotc
    5 tpm
    6 anh

I absolutely love revenge of the sith and it would gain extra marks if it didn't move along too fast and had avoided some of the cuts.

tesb has the best force scenes with yoda and i love his speeches but rots sticks with me far more now.

rotj would be higher but the ewoks bits weaken it while the dark side of the force parts are really brilliant

aotc has great action and excellent fight in and the special effects are sheer class

anh is now very disapointing for me. it is slow paced, takes some time for the action and is very weak compared to others, plus it doesn't end with a lightsaber battle like the other 5

14. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    I'm happy to see many putting ROTS on top of their lists, but it's too bad AOTC's ranking has lessened over the years.

Me, too. I haven't voted, yet, and probably won't. No matter how much I liked ESB when I first saw it, it took time for me to realize that I thought it was the best SW film. As for ROTS, I cannot make a judgment so quickly. But, I am happy to see GL's culmination of his saga to be so well received. However, it is too bad to see AOTC's popularity. I can think of several reasons. 1) Most Americans really can't think or act for themselves. They get a whiff of a trend--for example, they overreact to negative vibes about AOTC and mistake these views for either being representative of experts and/or an illusory majority. Then they go along with this imagined established view. 2) AOTC served its function well when it came out. But, it only was 20% of the story and the high anticipation since 2002 on these boards kind of left AOTC in the dust. 3) Rightfully, TPM has been rediscovered and is enjoying increased popularity. Possibilities 1 and 3 combined don't bode well for AOTC. 4) Some might correlated bo success with film quality--a very stupid assumption.

We must remember that four reasons that TPM did so well were it was very saturated amongst theaters at the time; hype at being the first SW film in 16 years; overmarketing (8 billion Pepsi cans); and no competition at the theater. ROTS has been extremely saturated in theaters; hype at being the last SW film; hype at some spoiler that I can't seem to remember; marketing is better than AOTC (I guess--still seem pretty subdued); best reviews of any SW film; while more having more competition than TPM, a lot less than AOTC; ticket inflation. So, AOTC has done the worst of the PT--or for an SW film, when one takes ticket inflation into account--at the bo. But, it had staggering competition; GL overcompensated for overmarketing TPM by undermarketing AOTC; and its theater saturation, while greater than TPM, was nothing compared to LOTR or Spidey. This is to be expected for any GL film as he is demanding of theater quality for his presentations. But, when Spidey and Harry Potter are on at more screens at the cinema than AOTC, and AOTC is playing less because it is nearly 2.5 hours--less money. Not to mention AOTC was doing great overseas until the World Cup in soccer, then died, and never recovered.

15. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    As good as ROTS is, how in the hell can it be 11% ahead of ESB in this poll?!

Must be the '05 factor... ;)

16. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    Why does everyone praise ESB? It has the worst plot out of the six, wait it doesn't even have a plot. You guys must like it because of the, "I am your father" line. ROTS is clearly the best of the six. The one good thing that ESB has is the better acting and better dialogue, but that can't stop ROTS.

Must be the '05 factor... wink

Sapes doesn't seem to think so, along with a lot of other people on this board.

17. Antrojedi

Antrojedi Jedi Master star 1

Nov 19, 2002
    I was in my mid-teens when TPM came out, so you could say that I kind of grew up with the PT films and so I have to say personally I do prefer them on the whole to the OT films which I only saw when they came out on Dvd last year.

My dad still insist that TESB is still the best but ROTS is by far the best of the series for me.

18. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    ^^^Above, I posted, "However, it is too bad to see AOTC's popularity." I should have posted, "However, it is too bad to see AOTC's popularity decline."

Currently my poll is

1. ESB or ROTS
    2. ESB or ROTS
    3. ANH
    4. AOTC
    5. ROTJ or TPM
    6. ROTJ or TPM

19. Tokio_Drifter

Tokio_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2003
    AOTC :)

ESB

ROTJ

ROTS

ANH

TPM

20. Shikoma

Shikoma Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2005
    I am stunned that ROTS is beating ESB. No film elevates Vader to mythic status as does ESB. No line in all of moviedom (regarding Star Wars) is better known than, "I am your father!". And there is more emotional weight on Han Solo's freezing than any scene in ROTS.

ROTS's technology obviously beats ESB - but that's only a factor of time and innovation. The storyline of ROTS certainly does not beat ESB.

21. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    You may be stunned but the people have said it (some people). I am stunned too - not because I think EMPIRE is better but because I never thought I'd see the day when a PT film would beat the all mighty EMPIRE. But I am glad it has in some people's minds. I think the PT is better and SITH is by far the greatest film. But you are right about Vader's line. It is still the most powerful but hey, it is just one line. The movie isn't automatically better because of that line. Han Solo's freezing is brilliant (my favourite OT moment) but I think the emotional stuff in SITH outweighs it. This film is just so sad and emotional. I always get this emotional feeling when Palpatine is crowned Emperor (and Padmé's brilliant reaction to it), Obi Wan gives his Mustafar speech, when Padmé dies/Vader is built and when the Vader mask goes on - the greatest moment in Star Wars. This outweighs the Han being frozen and Vader's revelation in my mind. And yes the storyline is better in SITH. This is the greatest story and script in Star Wars - given extra momentum by fine actors, especially the portrayal of McDiarmid and Christensen (I really should add McGregor, shouldn't I?). Here are my favourite Star Wars films in correct order:

1: REVENGE OF THE SITH
    2: THE PHANTOM MENACE
    3: ATTACK OF THE CLONES
    4: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
    5: A NEW HOPE
    6: RETURN OF THE JEDI

Overall I love all the films. These are six masterpieces and in fact one movie. That is how I view it.

22. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    QuiGonHrafn, you may say the RotS has the best plot, but the thing that makes ESB so great is the characters. The only one who noticably changes in the PT is Anakin. You may say that the "I am your father" line is just a line, but it really changed Luke and Vader. It presented Luke with a new challenge and for the first time showed us that Vader was not always evil. ESB also gave us the Han/Leia love story, introduced the Emperor, and even showed us some further bonding between R2 and 3PO. It may not have had scenes of beurocratic politics or an army of wisecracking robots, but it took the characters we love and elevated them to a mythic status.

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

23. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

Having this poll is like going to the Crip side of LA and asking what color do you like, blue or red?

24. gsingh

gsingh Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2005
    Whats going on here? AOTC is first place? That one was the worst. It got the worst ratings of them all, and the acting was terrible.[face_shame_on_you]

ROTS was by far the best of the first 3, but the best one overall is the ROTJ:D

25. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    1. Empire
    2. Jedi/Sith
    3. Hope
    4. Menace
    5. Clones

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.