main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which of the Star Wars movie soundtracks is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Darkslayer, May 10, 2014.

?

Favorite Star Wars Score?

1. The Phantom Menace

24 vote(s)
    10.4%
  2. Attack of the Clones

10 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Revenge of the Sith

68 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. A New Hope

27 vote(s)
    11.7%
  5. The Empire Strikes Back

74 vote(s)
    32.2%
  6. Return of the Jedi

27 vote(s)
    11.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Just curious to see what people think, as even most people who don't like the Prequels can't deny the greatness of Williams's scores (at least, that's what I've seen). As for myself, I'm not sure which is my favorite. At the moment I lean toward The Phantom Menace but I'll have to think about it some more.

I didn't make Clone Wars a choice because I mainly wanted to focus on the Williams scores here.

Matthaeus Sunrider likes this.
  2. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    ESB, the movie that first gave us the Imperial March.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hard to say which, one is best.

4. yodafan1031

yodafan1031 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    Went with ESB. My go to song for getting ready for work, as sad as this may be, is the Imperial March. :D

darksideDINO likes this.
  5. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The Empire Strikes Back. The asteroid chase's swirling soundtrack, the Imperial March, the carbon freezing chamber, the eerie Dogobah music are just some of the themes that make this one perfect for me.

6. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I ended up voting for TPM - Duel of the Fates, The Flag Parade, Qui-Gon's Noble End - there's just so much I like about it. Even my brother, who likes TPM least among the 6 movies, says TPM is the best soundtrack, and I agree with him.

7. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I honestly can't pick - each film has a few themes and cues that really stick out to me.

8. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Empire Strikes Back. I think pretty much everyone has at least heard the Imperial March even if they somehow don't know what it's from.

9. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    I was undecided between A New Hope or Empire, eventually went to Empire, that asteroid field music and the escape from Bespin music is just perfection for me.

TX-20 likes this.
  10. SeparatistSympathizer

SeparatistSympathizer Jedi Knight

May 14, 2014
    Overall, I think the theme that has spoken the most to me is Qui-Gon's Funeral/Padme's Destiny. The choral accompaniment to the melancholic track is magnificent and tragic, even if one observes it in a vacuum away from both Qui-Gon and Padme's deaths. I have always tended to associate it with death in SW in general, thanks in part to the old RTS Galactic Battlegrounds, being the music that played during the score screen if you were defeated.

cwustudent likes this.
  11. Commander Krix

Commander Krix Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Kind of had a hard decision between AOTC and ROTS. To me, I always loved the Clone Wars, and the music made it even better. So I'd say in my opinion, Attack of the Clones was my favorite.

12. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    As much as I love ESB and TPM has some classic themes, I went for the original and best Star Wars (A New Hope). Still magical after all these years, I can actually picture every moment and transition/wipe when I am listening to it.

The motifs that John Williams uses for the rest of the saga were either created or have inspired by what's in this one. Princess Leia's theme, Throne Room/End Title, Main Title, The Desert (Jawa theme), Cantina Band, and the epic Main Title (edit: oops so good I listed it twice haha!

Awesome!

DarthSheev and Force Smuggler like this.
  13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Revenge of the Sith

14. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I was torn between ESB and Return of the Jedi.

In the end, Return has my favorite piece of music from the Star Wars Saga, which is the theme that plays when Luke reveals to Leia their shared parentage (which, I'm pretty sure the cue is called "Luke and Leia".

Other than that, Shadows of the Empire. I will always include that as an answer in a discussion of Star Wars soundtracks.

Also, I can't really bring myself to like the soundtrack to A New Hope. It's great, don't get me wrong, but I feel like John really put more of himself into the music in the Star Wars films that followed.

Jair Crawford likes this.
  15. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    The Empire Strikes Back.

It was such a tough decision, but there are so many amazing tracks like The Imperial March, Yoda's Theme, Yoda and the Force, Cloud City Themes, The Clashing of Lightsabers, The Battle of Hoth, The Rebel Fleet, and the Love themes.

TX-20 likes this.
  16. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Empire Strikes Back without a doubt

17. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    I went RoTJ. It has the Imperial March, plus Luke and Leia, Into the Trap, Light of the Force.

Matthaeus Sunrider likes this.
  18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Voted for Revenge of the Sith for being consistently interesting to me, despite not being the richest score (TPM) nor having my favourite track (RotJ).

19. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    My favorite? Return Of The Jedi:

Luke and Leia's Theme
    Battle Of Endor I
    Battle Of Endor II
    Battle Of Endor III

Quite honestly some of the greatest music ever written are in those sequences.

2nd place goes to The Phantom Menace:

Anakin's Theme
    The Droid Invasion And Appearance Of Darth Maul
    Duel Of The Fates

3rd place goes to Revenge Of The Sith:

Anakin's Betrayal
    Padme's Ruminations
    Anakin's Dark Deeds
    Enter Lord Vader
    The Immolation Scene

4th place goes to The Empire Strikes Back:

The Asteroid Field
    Carbon Freeze/Vader's Trap/The Departure Of Boba Fett

5th place is tied between A New Hope and Attack Of The Clones. AOTC has some nice memorable moments but they don't stick out to me like the rest of the movies. A New Hope is brilliant and all but I prefer the other scores because Williams was allowed more freedom and reign to be more original. A New Hope was pretty heavily based on the temp tracks.

My favorite memorable moments:

The Main Theme
    Binary Sunset

Love Pledge/The Arena

20. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    As for my rankings, I'd go:

1. The Phantom Menace
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    4. A New Hope
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. Attack of the Clones

I found it interesting how AOTC is one of my all time favorite movies, but the soundtrack is my least favorite among SW, while Empire, my least favorite SW film, has (to me) the best score of the Original Trilogy.

21. Darth Maul is awesome

Darth Maul is awesome Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 1, 2014
  22. Rogue Five

Rogue Five Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 11, 2014
    Probably Jedi for me. Luke and Leia, Light of the Force, The Sarlacc battle music, and the entire Endor suite especially, are all of my favorite tracks in the Saga. And I really liked the Ewoks tribal themes as well.

Empire is a very close second. A great, dark score, and admittedly it has even more great tracks than Jedi (basically all of them rock, but Han and Leia, Imperial March, and Yoda's theme are the best.) I especially love the little, darker version of the Force theme that only shows up in Empire. It plays when Luke lands, right after he fights Vader in the cave, and at the end as the shot pans over the Rebel fleet. Great piece of music, I wish the other films had used it.

Of course, all six films are masterfully scored. So glad John Williams is coming back for Seven!

23. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    For me it has to be ANH. The two Cantina Bands, Shootout in the Cell Bay, Imperial Attack, the Battle of Yavin and of course, the Throne Room are classics.

24. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    That's a tough question. Though for me, if I must choose, it's Episode II: Attack of the Clones.

Always loved Across the Stars. I remember liking it when I first watched the movie all those years ago. Also I feel it captures Anakin and Padme greatly. The music starts off very soft and innocent. Like how the two characters did. Then it becomes very passionate.

Also I like Confrontation with Count Dooku. I love how it uses The Imperial March. Also a fan of Return to Tatooine and The Tusken Camp/The Homestead.

skypadme94 likes this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I have no idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.