main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which of the Star Wars movie soundtracks is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Darkslayer, May 10, 2014.

?

Favorite Star Wars Score?

1. The Phantom Menace

24 vote(s)
    10.4%
  2. Attack of the Clones

10 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Revenge of the Sith

68 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. A New Hope

27 vote(s)
    11.7%
  5. The Empire Strikes Back

74 vote(s)
    32.2%
  6. Return of the Jedi

27 vote(s)
    11.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Into the Trap from ROTJ is my favourite from that film. It just builds and builds and builds to a electric climax.

2. Mr. Crumb

Mr. Crumb Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 31, 2013
    I love them all, but I think I will go with Empire Strikes Back...it introduced some pretty amazing stuff. Yoda's Theme, The Imperial March, and the Han/Leia theme are all standouts that come to mind.

3. Darth Cadaverous

Darth Cadaverous Jedi Padawan

Dec 29, 2012
    I liked "Duel of Fates", fast pace and great instrumental.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. ArtSchmo

ArtSchmo Jedi Padawan star 1

May 2, 2015
    Williams actually brilliantly integrated a passage from Thomas of Celano's "Dies Irae" into the legendary cue. It is audible right in the last few seconds, when Luke realizes that he's now alone in the Galaxy and that everything he's ever known has been taken from him, just before the track switches to the Death Star motif, revealing the space station, and the perpetrators of the horrible atrocity. It's genius.

DarthSheev and Iron_lord like this.
  5. Queen Apailana

Queen Apailana Jedi Master star 1

Mar 8, 2015
    Funnily enough, I don't like the soundtracks in the same order in which I like the movies. I like ROTS, AOTC, ROTJ, ESB, TPM, and then ANH. Although all of them are amazing, and all are some of my favorite soundtracks.

6. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I now have the soundtracks for Return of the Jedi and Empire Strikes Back. I am holding off on getting the soundtracks for I II and III because I am hoping in the future that they will come out with special editions with all or most of the music.

7. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    TPM had the Ultimate edition with all the music.

Darkslayer likes this.
  8. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    The TPM Ultimate edition is far from complete and is plagued by horrible edits. I'd love to see an actual complete release of it in the vein of the 1997 OT sets.

9. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    What's missing? I'll admit the tracks should have been edited together more, but all the basic music is still there.

10. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I was talking more about Episodes II and III and not Episode 1. I just wish they got the SE CD treatment, but the Ultimate Edition of The Phantom Menace is nice enough.

Darkslayer and darskpine10 like this.
  11. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Why can't they see sense and release a complete soundtrack.

Billy_Dee_Binks likes this.
  12. JRB

JRB Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2015
    Duel of the Fates in combination with Darth Maul appearing behind the gates in the dock on Naboo. So epic!

13. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Hard choice, hard choice! Since I like the soundtracks from all 6 movies.

I guess I will go with Revenge of the Sith since it has the darkest music in the entire saga and one of my favorite soundtrack: Battle of the Heroes!

Here's the soundtrack with a stronger chorus and which has been composed by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra:

14. Homesick-Moose

Homesick-Moose Jedi Padawan star 1

May 11, 2015
    John Williams' score to the "Star Wars" movie saga is innovative, extraordinary, and reintroduced the use of leitmotifs to non-Classical audiences. It remains fresh and one of the most recognized movie scores in film history.

The finale and end credits to ESB is one of the best examples of this.

I was 15, almost 16, when the movie hit the theatres in May 1980. There was a long interval of shocked silence in the audience while this music played. While we appreciated the story, acting, lighting, cinematography, and so on, we couldn't believe that we'd have to wait three more freakin' years until the dumbfounding situations that the characters found themselves in at the end would be resolved.

After the fairy tale happy ending of ANH, audiences were, most definitely, not expecting such depth and conflict.

15. Homesick-Moose

May 11, 2015
    Speaking of leitmotifs, Leia has a stunning one (with that beautiful solo violin at the end: ), there's one for her romance with Han ("Han Solo and the Princess"), Yoda has one, and the "Imperial March" (good choice of type of music, a march, BTW) defines Vader, but the protagonist, Luke, doesn't have his own leitmotif.

"Luke and Leia's Theme", from RotJ, is not it ( ). It's the sibling equivalent of "Han Solo and the Princess"; but, it is reminiscent of "Princess Leia's Theme" from ANH, and does not really hint at a Luke-centred theme, even as counterpoint.

When I heard "The Force" in the theatre, before I got the soundtrack as a present, I thought that theme provided a further depth of character for Luke. Unless we are to equate Luke only with the Force, he's the only major character in SW who is not musically represented ( ).

16. Homesick-Moose

May 11, 2015
    << Off-topic; but, expanding on a comment about why I favour ESB: finale. >>

I was 15, almost 16, when the movie hit the theatres in May 1980. There was a long interval of shocked silence in the audience while this music played. While we appreciated the story, acting, lighting, cinematography, and so on, we couldn't believe that we'd have to wait three more freakin' years until the dumbfounding situations that the characters found themselves in at the end would be resolved. After the fairy tale happy ending of ANH, audiences were, most definitely, not expecting such depth and conflict.

It was the equivalent of the gut-punch revelation in Schaffner's 1968 "Planet of the Apes" (spoiler, if you are unaware of it. No, Cornelius was not Taylor's father ... although, if one goes back in history to around six million years in the past ...):

17. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I remember reading somewhere that JW has always regarded the main Star Wars theme as being the "Luke Skywalker theme" - even to the point where for him it initially wasn't a given that the SW theme would return in the prequels, because they weren't about Luke. (But it would've been quite jarring for the prequels to open with some new fanfare.) JW employed it as Luke's theme once again at the end of ROTS when we see baby Luke (just as Leia's theme plays on Alderaan).

18. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    That's exactly right. JW created the OT themes to represent specific characters (or rather, the most prominent aspect of a specific character). The Main Theme was indeed Luke's theme during all the OT. This created a slight continuity problem for the PT scores, since the Main Theme is barely used in the movies at all.

19. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    That's why it isn't used that much. So it plays into the continuity.

The difference is that now it's used as an action theme while it becomes personalized at the end of ROTS for Luke and then continues on from there.

JW intimates that they even idly thought about not using it at all.

20. oierem

Mar 18, 2009
    Yes exactly. However, it is odd that the major theme that plays in the opening titles of every movie isn't (almost) used until the third movie.

The only real musical "mistake" regarding the continuity of the Saga would be the absence of the Imperial March in ANH.

21. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Gonna have to go with Revenge of the Sith here because there's just so many tracks I like: Anakin's Betrayal, Battle of the Heroes, Battle Over Coruscant, The March on the Jedi Temple, Anakin vs. Obi-Wan, etc.

I guess Empire Strikes Back would be a close second.

22. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    ROTS was my vote, but it's a close tie really between that and ROTJ. Great melodies throughout ROTJ: Jabba's Theme, Max Rebo band, force theme usage, Ewoks, Yoda's death, Emperor's theme. etc. But ROTS eeks just past it for me, a very emotionally gripping score IMO: Force theme (opening sequence), Padme's Ruminations, Order 66, Battle of the Heroes, immolation, etc. IMO this is some of JW's best work.

23. darth_revan96

darth_revan96 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 18, 2015
    The whole duel between Luke and Vader in ROTJ is amazing, The Battle of Endor II is just an amazing piece of music. My Personal favorite part is when Luke snaps and Gives into the Darkside, the music is beautiful and chilling. The music in all parts of this scene are great though.

24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I am the same way. I rank the movies:
    ROTS
    AOTC
    ROTJ
    TPM
    ANH
    ESB

but I rank the soundtracks:
    TPM
    ESB
    ROTS
    ROTJ
    AOTC
    ANH

25. oierem

Mar 18, 2009
    Basically, the Ultimate Edition contains the music as heard in the film, including all the edits, loops, cuts and repeated tracks. That means all unused music is unreleased.

The soundtracks for the OT on the other hand, feature all the music as recorded and intended, including unused tracks, alternate versions....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.