main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which of the Star Wars Saga scores is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Strilo , Apr 13, 2018.

?

Which of the Star Wars Saga scores is your favorite?

1. The Phantom Menace

13 vote(s)
    12.9%
  2. Attack Of The Clones

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Revenge Of The Sith

31 vote(s)
    30.7%
  4. A New Hope

12 vote(s)
    11.9%
  5. The Empire Strikes Back

34 vote(s)
    33.7%
  6. Return Of The Jedi

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. The Force Awakens

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  8. The Last Jedi

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Finally, an updated poll to include Episode 8. @Seagoat and I chatted about how to incorporate some of the other music. We decided that Lucasfilm is making a distinction between the Saga films and the Anthology stories, so we would go along those lines, especially because the forum software only allows 10 poll options and the "final" poll will contain nine Saga scores. So we will post an Anthology/EU poll once Solo has been out a bit that includes Rogue One, Solo, Rebels, Clone Wars, Shadows of the Empire, etc.

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Pre-emptive mod note:

To slightly elaborate: I am sure it's a controversial option to exclude RO from this poll, but with that in mind, note that the saga - or at least, the Skywalker Saga as it is in its present form - is consistently scored by John Williams with the same style

While RO's score by Giacchino is largely imitating JW's style and is a fantastic soundtrack in its own right, it's probable that future Anthology/spinoff films' composers will not do so, and as Strilo says, there's a limit to the number of choices on a poll anyways

So it might be kind of awkward for now, but in barely a month when Solo is out, there'll be a second poll including Anthology movies and probably other media. I'll take user reception to this idea into account when deciding on how to proceed with future polls

3. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm going to go with A New Hope. Sure, each following score has built upon both it and each other in sequence, but there is an absolute embarrassment of classic, iconic motifs and themes that originated in ANH, and the way they're utilized lends the film a larger-than-life, "old Hollywood" feeling.

sethg likes this.
  4. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Cool. I was listening to the SotE score on Thursday night. The Freemakers lego cartoon has some really nice tracks too.

5. Prime Jedi

Prime Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Apr 14, 2018
    I had to vote for Return of the Jedi, the Ewok Celebration theme and the Emperor's theme are both amazing.

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    As a score, I'd say my favourite is Revenge of the Sith. It might not have most of my favourite tracks, but as a whole it's generally above the rest (the other five are still excellent though).

Darth Dnej, wobbits and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    This poll has all eight saga movies on it, actually

heels1785 likes this.
  8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I meant the first five.

9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    As a complete soundtrack in the movie I'd say it's the best of the 3 new era, then TFA then TLJ.

I think the lack of Lucas' influence really shows on TLJ where JW only had himself to listen to literally (as he simply got a temp score of his own music presumably mostly Star Wars music from I-VII for The Last Jedi to listen to base the score on.)

I still go with ROTS but for I-VI there really is no going wrong anyway and it's just preferences. I'd give ROTS a slight edge then ANH, TESB, TPM, AOTC and ROTJ but so slight as Watto says it makes little difference.

10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
  11. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    TPM

Has a very unique style even apart from the other PT, has some of William's best action music, and flows really well as a whole score.

AOTC's a close second, with it's sweeping romance music being a particular highlight.

12. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Tough choice between ROTS and ESB. ESB is the better expansion of a landmark score but "favorite" goes to ROTS these days .The OT tracks have suffered from fatigue due to hearing them far too often - both by choice and by encountering endless regurgitations of them in video games, promotions, Celebrations interludes and TV shows.

13. Tal0nkarrde2

Tal0nkarrde2 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2018
    To me, A New Hope will always be my favorite because it was the first movie soundtrack I ever owned and the music by John Williams represented something new and exciting for me, something I never heard before and wanted to hear over and over again (especially the main theme and the cantina band, among other tracks). But, I must admit, Duel of the Fates from The Phantom Menace is right up there with favorite themes. I can listen to that track all day!

14. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I went with ROTS on this one. Although it's kind of like picking a favorite kid really...I can do it when I'm honest with myself, but I kind of feel guilty, as if it were a betrayal of the others in a way-cos they're all so great in their way.....

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    wobbits likes this.
  15. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I always select Star Wars as my favorite for these polls. I've owned it since the autumn of 1977 and I've listened to it regularly ever since. I also own the double CD jewel case from the mid-80s, the Anthology box set, and of course the 1997 RCA SE CD package - my overall favorite version. For sound quality, the Anthology wins (especially for ESB & ROTJ tracks), but I don't like it when tracks have different cues edited together - something I've never understood.

However, for different criteria, such as my "desert island" disc or the "best score", I'd probably go with The Empire Strikes Back. Of course, it has the advantage of building off the iconic themes of Star Wars and thus is not entirely original.

16. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    Empire Strikes Back stands out most to me, very narrowly surpassing the incredible and iconic score of A New Hope. With so many great themes it's nearly impossible to pick my favorite, though the Clash of Lightsabers, Yoda's Theme, and the iconic Imperial March stand out most. Each theme perfectly encapsulates the scene and the feelings it fills you with. As great as ANH's score is, TESB builds perfectly off of it, while adding new iconic themes that stand tall with the likes of Binary Sunset and Leia's theme.

17. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    Asteroid Fields. Period.

ESB for me.

18. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I know I am not supposed to post about Anthology scores but I have only now completely appreciated the Rogue One score (which I've had for a while). The "Jyn Erso/Hope" suite has suddenly become my favorite SW track. The emotion is incredible!!!

19. Lukers

Lukers Jedi Master star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    I ended up voting for Empire Strikes Back mainly due to how much I love Han Solo & the Princess as well as all those themes on Dagobah. Not to mention the iconic favorite known as The Imperial March. The last suite as Luke and Leia look out into the stars is so beautifully moving.

20. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    @jedijax We will be posting a poll for those scores too!

21. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    To be completely honest, I think A New Hope is my favorite Star Wars film simply because I believe it to have the best soundtrack ever put to film.

Don't get me wrong, there are brilliant musical moments in all of the other films - John Williams is a master of music. But I think this one has more iconic sounds than the rest. Yes, TESB has The Imperial March, the Asteroid Belt, and The Rebel Fleet, Return of the Jedi has The Emperor's Theme, Into the Trap, and Yub Nub, The Phantom Menace has Duel of the Fates, Attack of the Clones has Across the Stars, Revenge of the Sith has Battle of the Heroes and The Jedi Temple March, etc. The new films have Rey's Theme.

But this original film has so many iconic musical moments. From the first time we see that main scroll, to when we meet Leia and hear her theme, to when we see Luke yearning for hope amid Binary Sunset, to the Burning Homestead, to the Cantina Band, to Ben's Death then the TIE Fighter Attack, to the Last Battle, and then the Throne Room at the end and those lovely end credits.

In many ways, I think The Empire Strikes Back is a better film - the writing is better, the acting is better - but no film has ever had this daring of a soundtrack, and it makes me swoon every time. I hear those trombones and it makes me salivate.

22. Justin Whitted

Justin Whitted Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2018
    I will always give A New Hope the credit it deserves for pioneering film scores; its legacy cannot be understated. That said, I believe Revenge Of The Sith has the best music in the series, and one of the best film scores of all time. JW crafted fantastic music for that film that perfectly fit the darker mood of the film: pieces like Anakin's Downfall, and Anakin vs. Obi-Wan are part of what make it so special.

I do want to prop up the ST a little, even though I feel both TFA and TLJ are weaker in score than the previous six films: Rey's Theme. Easily one of my favorite pieces in the saga and fits the character to a T.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    wobbits likes this.
  23. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Empire Strikes Back, then A New Hope and then Phantom Menace.

24. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    ROTS because it is hauntingly beautiful. Anakin's Betrayal, Anakin's Dark Deeds, the Immolation scene, Padme's Ruminations

christophero30 likes this.
  25. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    I think I actually have to say AotC, although John Williams is always amazing. The Force Theme, Yoda and the Younglings, and Across the Stars are some of my favorites, so....

christophero30 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.