main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Which of the Star Wars Saga scores is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Strilo, Apr 13, 2018.

?

Which of the Star Wars Saga scores is your favorite?

1. The Phantom Menace

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Attack Of The Clones

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Revenge Of The Sith

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  4. A New Hope

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. The Empire Strikes Back

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Return Of The Jedi

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. The Force Awakens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. The Last Jedi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Finally, an updated poll to include Episode 8. @Seagoat and I chatted about how to incorporate some of the other music. We decided that Lucasfilm is making a distinction between the Saga films and the Anthology stories, so we would go along those lines, especially because the forum software only allows 10 poll options and the "final" poll will contain nine Saga scores. So we will post an Anthology/EU poll once Solo has been out a bit that includes Rogue One, Solo, Rebels, Clone Wars, Shadows of the Empire, etc.

2. Seagoat

Seagoat PT and Music Section Dictator star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jan 25, 2013
    Pre-emptive mod note:

To slightly elaborate: I am sure it's a controversial option to exclude RO from this poll, but with that in mind, note that the saga - or at least, the Skywalker Saga as it is in its present form - is consistently scored by John Williams with the same style

While RO's score by Giacchino is largely imitating JW's style and is a fantastic soundtrack in its own right, it's probable that future Anthology/spinoff films' composers will not do so, and as Strilo says, there's a limit to the number of choices on a poll anyways

So it might be kind of awkward for now, but in barely a month when Solo is out, there'll be a second poll including Anthology movies and probably other media. I'll take user reception to this idea into account when deciding on how to proceed with future polls

3. PymParticles

PymParticles Cruel but Fair Tyrant of New Films star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm going to go with A New Hope. Sure, each following score has built upon both it and each other in sequence, but there is an absolute embarrassment of classic, iconic motifs and themes that originated in ANH, and the way they're utilized lends the film a larger-than-life, "old Hollywood" feeling.

4. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Cool. I was listening to the SotE score on Thursday night. The Freemakers lego cartoon has some really nice tracks too.

5. Prime Jedi

Prime Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2018
    I had to vote for Return of the Jedi, the Ewok Celebration theme and the Emperor's theme are both amazing.

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2009
    As a score, I'd say my favourite is Revenge of the Sith. It might not have most of my favourite tracks, but as a whole it's generally above the rest (the other five are still excellent though).

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  7. Seagoat

Seagoat PT and Music Section Dictator star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jan 25, 2013
    This poll has all eight saga movies on it, actually

heels1785 likes this.
  8. Alexrd

Alexrd Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2009
    I meant the first five.

9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    As a complete soundtrack in the movie I'd say it's the best of the 3 new era, then TFA then TLJ.

I think the lack of Lucas' influence really shows on TLJ where JW only had himself to listen to literally (as he simply got a temp score of his own music presumably mostly Star Wars music from I-VII for The Last Jedi to listen to base the score on.)

I still go with ROTS but for I-VI there really is no going wrong anyway and it's just preferences. I'd give ROTS a slight edge then ANH, TESB, TPM, AOTC and ROTJ but so slight as Watto says it makes little difference.

10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
  11. darkspine10

darkspine10 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 7, 2014
    TPM

Has a very unique style even apart from the other PT, has some of William's best action music, and flows really well as a whole score.

AOTC's a close second, with it's sweeping romance music being a particular highlight.