main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which of the Star Wars soundtracks is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Strilo , Feb 8, 2016.

?

Which of the Star Wars soundtracks is your favorite?

1. The Phantom Menace

20 vote(s)
    10.1%
  2. Attack of the Clones

9 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Revenge of the Sith

74 vote(s)
    37.2%
  4. A New Hope

22 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. The Empire Strikes Back

57 vote(s)
    28.6%
  6. Return of the Jedi

10 vote(s)
    5.0%
  7. The Force Awakens

7 vote(s)
    3.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srg

srg Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 26, 2016
    Revenge of the Sith. I'm pleasantly surprised to see it winning in the poll!

Without delving into details: it's just so memorable and dramatic. John Williams captured the tone perfectly. Battle of the Heroes is a fantastic theme with great balance between epic and tragic. The whole score for Anakin and Obi-Wan's duel is outstanding. 'Anakin vs Obi-Wan' might be my favourite Star Wars track period... Top 3 for sure. As for unreleased cues 'The Boys Continue' is my favourite. I get goosebumps every time I hear the moment when they clash with this huge lava explosion in the background. I don't like the return of Duel of the Fates for Yoda vs Sidious, though (it didn't work well in AotC either). That scene deserved something original. Well, I focused on action music here, but basically everything else is top-notch as well.

2. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Jedi for me, even though TESB is my favorite film. The last 30 to 45 minutes of ROTJ is just Star Wars music at it's very best, even though there's some recycled stuff in there.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  3. Rey_

Rey_ Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    I voted for TFA, which surprised even myself, considering that I had once found it the weakest. I chose it not because it has the strongest set of compositions, but rather because of how deftly different cues from the saga are subtly woven through and hinted at. Then of course there are the highlights: Rey's theme and The Scavenger, The Starkiller, The Jedi Steps, March of the Resistence, Finn's confession (which fantastically draws upon the Episode I score). Han and Leia's theme is reprised and re-interpreted as something wistful and slightly mournful too. It is a pretty artfully crafted piece of work, with far more subtlety than the remaining scores. It is definitely greater than the sum of it's individual parts.

Skydoll likes this.
  4. PodracingSkywalker

PodracingSkywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2014
    I gotta go with TPM. But ROTS gets a very, very close second to it. They have so many insanely catchy cues, the bookends of the PT was Williams at his SW best, personally. Then after that, ANH, and AOTC, ROTJ then ESB. TFA was good, but overall, like the film itself, was lacking in many areas.

5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I was dissapointed in TFA but found the OST flawless! Loved it!

6. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    Empire has so much going for it. Vader and Yoda themes, the entire Asteroid Belt chase sequence, the amazing stuff at the end with the duel and Luke being saved by Leia and gang (a cue they used quite effectively again in many of the games, especially Shadows of the Empire). It had the Cloud City anthem. So much going on. I had a very hard choice between V and IV. So much to love with those. I love all the soundtracks, but those two had the most innovation and sheer new material that I just think is very rare for a Williams score post-Jurassic Park.

7. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    ESB, then AOTC.

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I honestly don't know which soundtrack is my favorite. I was planning to do some Star Wars-related reading today, so I think I'll listen to all the soundtracks start to finish while doing that. Then I'll see if I can decide :)

Skydoll and Darth Basin like this.
  9. dwingpilot

dwingpilot Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2016
    Return Of The Jedi ! !

The sarlacc pit tune - the parade of the ewoks - the death star battle - endor battle.....

Best one

Subtext Mining likes this.
  10. Conkhead_12

Conkhead_12 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 28, 2016
    Revenge of the Sith

Battle of Heroes, 'nuff said

11. Mikda

Mikda Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2016
    Oberservation......"themoth" you are hot!! I have the Force Awakens disk (score)in my car and that is all I listen to. Maybe because it is the newest is why I like it the most. Really like them all.....John Williams is brillant!

12. Mikda

Mikda Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2016
    I think Alec Guiness made "A New Hope" the successful film that it is. He is a "perfect" actor for the part. Ewan McGregor was very good also. Yes, I would say Obi-Wan and Yoda are the two best Jedi!

13. Volcaos

Volcaos Jedi Youngling

Oct 5, 2016
    ESB, particularly for:

"The Imperial March", "Yoda's Theme", "The Asteroid Field" and that bit where the snowspeeders are flying low looking for Luke.

14. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    As time goes on I find my myself more drawn to the Phantom Menace score, and after that the AOTC score. While I still think ROTS is 3rd, I think that I have 'overdosed' so to say, on most of the bigger pieces, such as the final duel section, and stuff like Anakin's Betrayal and Dark Deeds. I still like them, I just think I'm too familiar with them now. Now I much prefer the slower and more subtle tracks, like Palpatine's Seduction, Be Careful of Your Friend, Council Meeting, and the Opera Scene. I also really like the understated duel themes for both Dooku and Palpatine V. Mace, which are both really good pieces (though sadly unreleased).

15. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    This is like picking your favorite child. Difficult.

16. Lord Kyber

Lord Kyber Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2016
    Hmm I really appreciate Rey's theme from TFA but as far as climactic goes it has to be ROTS

17. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    I liked the ROTS soundtrack best, especially the last song because it blends so many of the others.

18. Skydoll

Skydoll Jedi Master star 1

Apr 27, 2016
    I've looked at this thread so many times and I still can't decide. And I kind of love the fact that I can't. I love that TFA came along so late in the day and that I love that as much as the others, albeit for slightly different reasons... the nuances are different, it's gentler in places and yet as supremely dramatic as its predecessors too. But ANH, along with John Barry's You Only Live Twice, were the first film scores I ever bought, and as such always have a special place in my heart. And yet, ANH may not be my fave, because then I remember the pleasure that gatefold LP of TESB gave me... and the magnificence and splendor of ROTS... You see, I just can't decide.

19. Ord Sorrell

Ord Sorrell Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2016
    ESB for sure.. maybe because it was the first I owned... But its.. you know.. timeless...

20. Porkins2099

Porkins2099 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2016
    As a whole, TESB. But my favourite theme is "The Emperor" from ROTJ.
    I like them all, actually. My only "disappointments" were AOTC and TFA, but I don't consider them to be bad (they both have their good themes). Just slightly below the sky-high bar Williams put with the other SW soundtracks.

21. WattoIsAJedi

WattoIsAJedi Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2016
    duel of the fates

22. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Heck... I can't decide.

23. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    RotS and ESB have the best overall music (they're the 2 best films of the saga as well imo), but Duel of the Fates from TPM is excellent as well.

24. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Again - Revenge of the Sith.

25. Master Esso Antos

Master Esso Antos Jedi Knight

Sep 5, 2012
    The RotS soundtrack has always been my favourite. It is so consistently powerful and it never fails to give me chills, especially Anakin's Betrayal.

Zejo the Jedi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.