main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which one should I get PS2 or Gamecube?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Obi_Wan_01, Feb 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yodarth

Yodarth Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    The only people who throw fits about graphics are ones who tell everyone 'get an Xbox it has good graphics'. All 3 have so close of graphics it's not a big deal. As far as PS2 or Cube, I have both. PS2 has good games out, some decent stuff coming (Jedi Starfighter, don't ask me why if you're between PS2 and Gamecube you wouldn't want it because it's also on xbox), and GameCube is newer and has a lot going for it. Nothing comfirmed yet I know of for Star Wars games. If PS2 ever gets its online up I hear Galactic Battlegrounds could come on it sometime later...

2. rogue_five

rogue_five Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2002
    all right well i see this dude isn't persuadable so if your sticking with either the PS2 or GameCube i would go with the PS2 it has better games. game cube has alot going for it but if you're more into the mature games you wouldnt want gamecube except if you just want the resident evil series.

3. JediLord

JediLord Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    PS2 all the way. I have one and I love all my games. They have the best games right no. Why even get a GC? all they have is mario,zelda,and metroid. thats not enough to buy the system, especially with all the crap they are putting out.

4. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    PS2 can only compare to XBox because PS2 is in its second generation titles, while Xbox is getting its inevitable first generation trash.

5. Mace_Windo

Mace_Windo Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    GCN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

6. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    >>>X-Box, no way it's a stupid VCR and no quality games.<<<

>>>>Here are some games for both systems that I liked and some are not out yet, but they look great.

PS2 Games

Grand Theft Auto III
    Final Fantasy X
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
    Final Fantasy XI
    Star Wars Racer Revenge
    Black and White
    Dead or Alive 2 Hardcore
    Half Life
    Max Payne
    NHL 2002
    SSX Tricky
    Star Wars Jedi Starfighter<<<<<

>>>In my opinion PS2 is a better system and has more quality games.<<<<

[face_laugh] ROFLMAO!! Obi_Wan_01 what a dazziling intellect you have there.

Grand Theft Auto III: Coming out on Xbox with better graphics and supposedly bonuses.

Metal Gear Solid II: Coming out for Xbox possibly with extra.

Final Fantasy XI: Nothing official but Square is in talks with M$ over this title. They have said the best way to make this game work is multiplatform. Anything can happen with this title.

Black and White: Coming out for Xbox

Dead or Alive 2 Hardcore: Dead Or Alive 3, ever hear of it? Graphics destroy DOA2 with a whole lot more goodies.

Max Payne: Already out on Xbox and this version destroys the PS2 version which suffers from framerate problems and is graphicly inferior to the Xbox version.

SSX Tricky: Already out on the Xbox and guess what it has better framerate, graphics and sound.

Star Wars Jedi Starfighter: Coming out for the Xbox in may just in time for the movie for the non spoiler people.

So your what your trying to say is that the PS2 is a better system because it has inferior versions of these games on it? LOL!

>>>>PS2's graphics is almost the same as X-box, even better if I might add.<<<<

Obi_Wan_01 is this supposed to be a satiracal thread?

[image=http://gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2002/playstation2/malice/malice_screen004.jpg] PS2 Version.

[image=http://gamespot.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/vgnews/010801/malice/malice_screen001.jpg] Xbox Version.

Obi_Wan_01 I would suggest that instead of buying a new console you instead invest in some glasses, preferably some bifocols. Because if you think that the PS2 can hang with the Gamecube or Xbox then you must be having problems with your vision. The only games that put the PS2 in the same league as the other two systems are the direct port jobs. The reason being is that they are made for the lowest common denominator graphicly the PS2.

[image=http://gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2002/xbox/kotor/kotor_screen005.jpg]

Can the PS2 do this?

That being said 1 next gen console is cool, having two of them is even better but having all threee is the best option. I don't care what you have to do get a job or two or even mug old ladies just buy all three. :D

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

7. CrixMakin

CrixMakin Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 24, 2002
    Quote:
    PC games are bunk. Go consoles!
    Unquote.

All the decent console games get ported to PC. NO decent PC games get ported to consoles. If you want a bigger choice of games and are prepared to pay a lot, get a PC. Otherwise, get a PS2. Gamecube looks like it won't have many games (WHY do Nintendo ALWAYS waste good hardware by not licensing enough games?!). Rogue Leader looks OK, if a little simplistic for me. I prefer XWA, it's more expandable, and you can do more.

X-Box may get PC ports, so could be good, but I personally will stick with PC so I can -change- things about games. I like to be able to expand the game so I don't get bored of it.

8. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I'd definitley go with the PS2 over the GC. I own both and I definitley get way more enjoyment out of the PS2. As for the X-Box, well I only played it for a couple of hours, at someone's house. It didn't seem overly impressive, but maybe I'm biased because I had such a hard time with the controller, ugh.

9. Enlightened

Enlightened Jedi Youngling

Mar 4, 2002
    PS2

- Price dropping
    - Far bigger title range (98-9% PS1, lots of new titles)
    - Better titles now (It's likely that both of the newbies will have a similar teething period for games)
    - DVD player (also in X-box, but we're comparing PS2+GC)

10. CrixMakin

Feb 24, 2002
    [nods in agreement with enlightened]

i sometimes like cartridges though, for nostalgia's sake

11. HotsForTahiri77

HotsForTahiri77 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2002
    While what rabid balding ewok said is perfectly sound, i have a PS2,i dont trash any other game sytems , i got the PS2 first so that is what i enjoy by default, the same may be true for GC and XBOX players

12. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    "All the decent console games get ported to PC. NO decent PC games get ported to consoles. If you want a bigger choice of games and are prepared to pay a lot, get a PC."

PC games are fine if all you're interested in is first-person shooters, strategy games and the Sims. Otherwise you're pretty much out of luck, as variety is nearly nonexistent.

If it's Gamecube or PS2, I'd have to say go with the PS2. I have both, and although the Cube is newer I still find myself playing the PS2 almost exclusively. The PS2's game library is still the best one out there. I've said it before, I'll say it again: It's all about the games.

Ideally, you'd go with Rabid_Balding_Ewok's suggestion and own all three consoles, but I'm assuming you're not made of money. :D

13. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    Mug old ladies I tell you? Steal lunch money from children. Are you going to let those well fed kids at the cafeteria stand between you and video games? Squeege if you have to or donate blood. :p

-----signature-----

14. AgentCoop

Feb 16, 2002
    How many old ladies would you have to mug to get all three consoles?

Better to knock off a convenience store.

:cool:

15. Yodarth

Yodarth Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    See? Every single word from xbox fanboys is 'graphics graphics graphics'. Dude, admit that PS2 and GC are decent too. I only know like 2 people who will that have Xbox. Nintendo has some of the best games out there-Pikmin, Rogue Leader, coming with Mario, Metroid, Zelda. Up until a week weeks ago more people had bought FFX than GCNs and Xboxes combined, Playstations just have that big of name. Doesn't hurt to have Virtua Fighter 4, Tekken 4, Mortal Kombat 5, Soul Calibur 2, and possibly DOA3 all coming to your system, so they're set too. As far as MGS2, I'll believe it when I see it. And I'd believe Square and Nintendo to get back together with FFXI since Nintendo won't let them re-make for GBA more than M$ and Square cause Sony gets fiery. M$ is doing good for a first system, they just need to get some exclusives besides Halo and some franchises. GCN needs to pump out games like crazy instead of a game a month, and PS2 needs to get online and get crazy with shooters and beat em ups like they're doing with the 5 fighters coming out in one year. No shooters=no more killing everyone else in sales, no matter how much I dislike shooters.

16. CrixMakin

Feb 24, 2002
    agentcoop>
    you are forgetting flight sims and RTS. the best SW games have been one of those two

17. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    >>>See? Every single word from xbox fanboys is 'graphics graphics graphics'. Dude, admit that PS2 and GC are decent too.<<<

Umm, if you were paying attention you would have seen that I gave props to the Cube. If you had read the post you would have also seen that I was pointing out the flaws in Obi_Wan_01 argument. Graphics were only brought into the discussion once he made his uninformed comments, I was correcting his failed logic. And if you had much of an attention span you would have seen that at the bottom of my post I said buy all three. Reading is fundamental, thanks for coming out. ;) That being said video games are a visual medium, graphics play a big part of that. If that weren't the case then we would all still be playing the SNES and Genesis. Of course game play is the primary aspect of a good game. ;)

Now pay close attention or else you will miss it "Buy all three consoles you can't go wrong!" Hope you were paying attention.

>>>Doesn't hurt to have Virtua Fighter 4, Tekken 4, Mortal Kombat 5, Soul Calibur 2, and possibly DOA3 all coming to your system,<<<

Hate to be the bearer of bad news for you but DOA3 will never be on the PS2 the devs even said that it lacks the hardware to make it possible without butchering the game. Besides it's console exclusive. Virtua Fighter 4.1 is heading to the Xbox (thats right with extras hence the 4.1). Soul Caliber 2 will be on the Xbox and Gamecube along with Mortal Kombat 5. The Xbox is also getting another exclusive fighter Kakuto Chojin which is being worked on by some of the guys that worked on Tobal and Tekken.

>>>And I'd believe Square and Nintendo to get back together with FFXI since Nintendo won't let them re-make for GBA more than M$ and Square cause Sony gets fiery<<<

Actually I can guarantee you that this will never happen. Nintendo is still hesitant about online gaming. They view it as not profitable. Theres a recent interview at IGN with Myiamoto where he is pretty much non committal about cubes online plan. He goes on to talk about the cube as a single player platform. Square is more interested in the GBA in order for them to make games for it they have to agree to more Cube support then one game.

I'm a multi-console kind of guy. All the systems have their benefits hell even the Jaguar had some decent titles. I just think that the Xbox has the greatest potential out of the lot right now. It has the best hardware and almost all of the big developers onboard, how can you go wrong? What Capcom, Konami, Sega, ect all of a sudden suck because their making games on a M$ console? I want to see all three consoles succed. After all more competition means better hardware which will bring us more cool features and options for great games. :)

-----signature-----

18. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    get an xbox
    one reason . . .

Halo :D

19. WindexedStormtrooper

WindexedStormtrooper Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    C'mon RBE (and everybody else) give the dude a break. Although your arguments are sound (as always) he says he DOESN'T want an X-box or pc games; don't force it down his throat. Hypothetically of course, is that if I don't like Guinness, then I don't like Guinness. Even if my favorite beer is Natty Ice. It's his choice, and he says he wants either a GC or PS2.

I agree that the PS2 does have a superior library of games at this point. The GC is obviously more powerful than the PS2, as PS2 games port to GC with absolutely no problems. Again, hypothetically, Rogue Leader would not be the same on the PS2. Also, problems with the memory of the smaller GC disks have not yet arisen. But again PS2 has great games at this point, as it seems like the 'good' GC games are taking a while to arive, but that may be a good thing; PSX games always seemed rushed.

Anyways, I would personally go with the GC. I think it's better, and I like the games better. If you are in desperate need of a game console AND a DVD, and you want immediate gratification from games, then get the PS2.

20. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    I was going to buy a GC because I heard that Zelda was going to be on it. Then I saw the screenshots. Why Nintendo, why? Nintendo just isn't appealing to me anymore. I think I'm going to get an X-Box, for SW:KOR and Halo. I've already got a PS2 and love it for MGS2 and GTA3, but I just feel that I need more.

21. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    I know WindexedStormtrooper and I want to stop talking about that damn Xbox. The problem is that the chip in the green jewel keeps sending me messages in my head. Ever since I bought the box I've had the unexplainable urge to buy all M$ products.

[image=http://frogstar.com/pics/pics.comp/y_m_bg.jpg]
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

-----signature-----

22. WindexedStormtrooper

WindexedStormtrooper Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
  23. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    That being said 1 next gen console is cool, having two of them is even better but having all threee is the best option. I don't care what you have to do get a job or two or even mug old ladies just buy all three.

Yup and RBE can provide the money $$$ for me. Right.... that shouldn't be a problem for you. ;)

Har Har Har.... laugh it up RBE, but seriously I do need to look around a bit more. Guess I got some researching to do.

24. AgentCoop

Feb 16, 2002
    "hell even the Jaguar had some decent titles."

Well, now you're just smoking crack. :D

25. CrixMakin

Feb 24, 2002
    I remember the Jaguar. it had Alien Vs Predator a long time before the PC. But it was more like Alien Vs Wolfenstein.. POOOR game. Didnt look 64 bit, looked 16!

Myself, I have to stick with PC's, being a fan of the Evil Empire, I like big grey technological terrors.. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.