main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which one should I get PS2 or Gamecube?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Obi_Wan_01, Feb 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    Please enlighten me with your technical wisdom

Okay for all those learning impaired. When you have a game that's not installed onto a hard drive (yes for instance a console disk) the base game files have to be on each disk. That means the graphics engine, the base game values, main character renderings, on and on and on. It's all duplicated on to each disk. This can become memory intensive if someone wanted to put alot of work into the gameplay. What this can leave is a disk without a lot of room on it for game length and storyline. You can go to a second disk, but those annoying game files will still be there as well. You don't have an "install" disk and a "gameplay" disk like say Galatic Battlegrounds. So if a programmer wanted to go all out like in Marrowwind and make the game freakin huge the base game files would take up 90% of the disk leaving 10% for gameplay. Which would mean it would need 10 disks to equal 1 DVD disk. These are all hypotheticals, but what it means is that this situation probably wouldn't happen because it's inefficent. Instead they create a small world that is used over many times to simulate a larger more epic game. Which means that gameplay can be limited by the big N's choice of storage.

The whole point here is that Nintendo should have gone DVD to keep themselve competetive. Who knows how good and long they could have made Zelda (non cell shading) or Metroid on a DVD.

Yeah maybe you can't pick up a miniDVD anywhere but you can't pick up a blank nintendo cartridge anywhere either yet I know lots of people with illegal copies of old games.

BTW Thank's for the Nickname Dirty-San. I like it.

2. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    >>>-Res.Evil
    -Res.Evil 0
    -Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
    -Final Fantasy Unlimited (maybe)
    -Unspecified Final Fantasy
    -Metroid Prime
    -Starfox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet
    -Soul Calibur II

OK?!!!<<<

Res.Evil: A lot of people already beat this game...... 5 years ago. So they gave it a face lift. The Guest House will still have the giant plant, Whisker is still a *spoiler*, After you go through the house once the zombies are still going to disappear and be magicly replaced with those reptile like creatures.

Res 0: This series should have died after Res 2. It's become as much of a joke as Capcoms Street Fighter series.

Eternal Darkness: Hopefully it will be good. Although some of the Insanity Effects look really lame and the flashing enemies when you hit them is questionable. But since I'm a huge Cthulhu fan, I'll give it a whirl. ED rips off Cthulu big time which might make it a cool game.

Final Fantasy Unlimited (maybe),Unspecified Final Fantasy: Refer to this article.

>>>"The objective of the new company is to develop GBA titles, so GameCube titles are not a part of the plan," he said. "But because the Game Boy Advance and GameCube allow for link connectivity, we may make use of such a feature in the future."<<<

Metroid Prime: I don't even know if Retro has even released a game yet. They keep getting canned. Their project leader and various members on the team have left the project through the course of it's development. Don't hold your breath on this being a good game.

Starfox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet: Looks like it might be a decent title.

Soul Caliber II: Will be on the PS2.

>>>Nintendo has said that Zelda will definately come out by the end of this year, as will Mario Sunshine which I believe even has a release date already.<<<

Your not familiar with Nintendo's consistant ability to delay it's games and hardware, are you? ;)

>>[face_bleh]irate Proof (good for industry)<<<

Actualy a few months ago there were reports about the GODs getting pirated in asia. It's just harder to pirate, it's not pirate proof. But this is one of the two reasons for Nintendo choosing this format and they are the same two reason for Nintendos choice to stick with cartridges for the N64. Both equal more $$Profit$$ for the big N. 1) To keep piracy down. 2) To own the propriety over the medium. Every developer that wants to make games for the Cube will have to pay for using the GOD's which is more money for Nintendo.

Choosing between the PS2 and Cube is kind of hard though. On the one hand the Cube has the better tech. It's capable of doing things that the PS2 only wishes it could do. But it lacks games. If your into buying yet another version of Zelda or the endless Mario related games then enjoy the Cube if not then you really have to look at the third party titles that it will be getting and see if they appeal to you. If you want online gaming the cube is not the place to be looking. They will have a few online titles but nowhere near what the PS2 is offering.

With the PS2 you will have more third party support. Your also going to get games like GTA3/4 (must have, will be on PC soon but if you have a crap PC your best bet is the PS2), GT3, MGS2(Personaly I think this game was overhyped and played like a movie), The FF games(overhyped, but some people like them). While it's true that the Cube will be getting some ports they won't be getting enough to compete with the PS2's library.

The Cube compliments the PS2. But if you have to pick just one next gen system only then the Cube is the last of the three to pick IMHO. I'll be picking up a Cube towards the end of the year just to compliment my Xbox. It will have some decent titles but not enough to be my main gaming platform.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::[hl=dimg

3. bountyhunter2999

bountyhunter2999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    I was reading about Mario Sunshine on IGN.com and it says it is pretty much the same as Mario 64. ALso, whenever i pick up a GC.............I get the urge to hold it by its handle, swing it around in circles, and let go. I don't why I'll feel that. If you like GC that's fun. I"m just saying I prefer PS2 more.

4. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    If you're curious how a VCR can fair Vs a PS2 Tekken 4 for PS2 Vs DOA3 for X-box

Granted the Gamecube's graphically above a PS2 but I'm sure we can come up with some comparisons once Gamecube comes up with some games to compare to.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Your not familiar with Nintendo's consistant ability to delay it's games and hardware, are you?<<

I am, which is why I thought it interesting to mention that they are practically guarenteeing its release by years end, as opposed to the general release dates that they usually give out and change.

6. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    Yup after reading RBE's post, I am a little more convinced on buying a GC...... but again it all comes down to the games......

GC has quite a few good selections of games, not too bad. ;)

7. omegaV

omegaV Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2002
    Why does everybody like gamecub som much???

8. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    >>>"The objective of the new company is to develop GBA titles, so GameCube titles are not a part of the plan," he said. "But because the Game Boy Advance and GameCube allow for link connectivity, we may make use of such a feature in the future."<<<

R_B_E you didn't read the ign cube interview with the NOA executive Mrs Kaplain did you?

The deal is already done regardless of what Square says. Probably just trying to keep it confidential until Nintendo gave the announcement the thumbs up.

She guarantees:- "There will be a gamecube version and a gba version and they will be linkable."

If I can be bothered perhaps I'll post a link later but it's now archived and it could take a while.

"Res.Evil: A lot of people already beat this game...... 5 years ago"

70% of the game has been re-worked. Most reviewers so far, like those in Famitsu Mag (39/40)and on ign say that it shouldn't be viewed as a remake at all but an entirely new game. The puzzles are different, you won't finish it with ease if you've played the original, there are new areas (mansion is aprox 25% larger), enemies are smarter, faster, new enemies have been addded and the story line has been improved along with the voice acting (albeit slightly). People did not finish it 5 years ago. *sigh* like it or not the series still has its fans especially those who own Nintendo systems who up until now have only experienced Resident Evil 2. I don't think it's tired yet but after the 6 game cube deal I think it will be.

I have played ED at E3 and I assure you it is all that (also, remember it has seen vast improvements since the version I played almost a year ago.)

<<<"Starfox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet: Looks like it might be a decent title. ">>>

Will be a decent (an excellent) title or I'll eat my own teeth. Rare have yet to disappoint me and I've been playing their games since JetPac on the Sinclair.

"Metroid Prime: I don't even know if Retro has even released a game yet. They keep getting canned. Their project leader and various members on the team have left the project through the course of it's development. Don't hold your breath on this being a good game. "

It's already a good game from what I see. Environments that (from the small snippets released anyway) rival Halo's and the graphics are very almost onpar too.As long as they maintain a constant framerate I'm confident the game will live up to the hype (if it's possible for such a legendary series.)

Also, you mustn't look at Retro as being a first time developer. There every part Nintendo now as Nintendo themselves after Miyamoto and Yamauchi sacked all the bad eggs and had the replacements hand picked by NOA. Most project leaders did not quit but were "resigned" by Nintendo. The reason Nintendo kept canning their projects is because they weren't satisfied with the time projects were taking and wanted more attention to be given to Metroid.

"2) To own the propriety over the medium. Every developer that wants to make games for the Cube will have to pay for using the GOD's which is more money for Nintendo. "

To be fair I think Panasonic own the propriety. Nintendo are only concerned with making it as difficult as possible for pirates. Also I wasn't aware that Mini-dvd's were available at all considering the fact it's a brandnew medium designed by Matsu****a. I do, however have a few mini-cd's.

I think you're reading the small print a little too closely.

I don't doubt PS2 is a good console (though it will be prematurely shelved) and I know that xbox is an excellent console. I don't understand, however, why Nintendo is always made the scapegoat (like Sega was). Fact is alot of people like me can't stand your MGS's (like yourself R_B_E), Gran Turismo's, DOA's and Project Gotham's and are fine tuned to Nintendo's quality platformers and puzzlers along with Rare and acclaim's shooters (and also Retro soon)
    Give me Zelda over MGS any day.

I await R_B_E's and Tenor Jedi's comebacks with baited breath as always. :D

9. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    LOL, a link with an actual quote from Square is not valid. Ok, whatever. ;)

As for Res Nintendo is getting 4 games that people who owned a PSX/dreamcast/PS2 have already beaten. And then two others for a series that needs to die. You are aware that the PS2 is getting Resident Evil Online aren't you so it's not like they won't be getting a Res title. Res Evil is not that big of an issue. When you look at how the PS2's Devil May Cry, Genma Onimusha and Dino Crisis all have the same gameplay. How can you slag off MGS and then turn around and praise Res Evil the remake with it's low replay value, pre-rendered backgrounds and fixed camera angles. Both games are in the same boat in terms of replay value and fun, once you've beat it there is little point in playing it further. Rental material nothing to boast about.

Metroid to rival Halo in enviroments and graphics???? [face_laugh] Have you even played Halo? I have yet to see anything from MP that can "rival" Halo's huge enviroments or the lighting, purrdy effects and textures aswell. If your going to make a statement like that at least back yourself up your just making yourself look foolish. It's obvious you have no idea of what your talking about and as such there is no real point in this discussion.

-----signature-----

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

10. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    Am I not entitled to my opinion?
    I merely said that Metroid Prime is looking good and, in my opinion, ALMOST as good as Halo. As for the environments I said from the small snippets (ie-nothing concrete as of yet)I have seen, like the brief clip shown and the screenshots, the environments look roughly on par with Halo's. I may be wrong I may be right. Either way it'll be a great game because it's been in devlopment for years already. There's no need to be insulting about it. It's not as if I came out and said "METROID PRIME will absolutely be a kick ass game and leave HALO: COMBAT EVOLVED eating its dust" or anything.

As for MGS I don't really see the appeal and what I was trying to highlight is that even though I am aware that alot of people enjoy such games along with DOA, GT3, PROJECT GOTHAM, whatever, they simply don't appeal to me and I have always preferred the Nintendo style platformers, etc, over these type of games.

As for Res. Evil it confuses me how you insist that 4/6 games are redundant and the other 2 are sequels to a series that should be dead THEN you go on to say that PS2 is getting Res. Evil Online (news to me but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.)in an attempt to make Sony look good.

For the record I played MGS for its entirety and MGS2:SOL for a good few hours.

As for the square quote, it is not completely invalid. It perhaps just wasn't finalised at the time or perhaps Nintendo asked them not to say anything till a later date. Remember the pack of lies Capcom told us in an attempt to keep their Ninty deals secret?

"We cannot comment at present"

"There are no immendiate plans regarding Nintendo consoles."

stuff like that.

Are you perhaps saying that a quote from NOA saying there shall definetely be GC FF title in the future is less valid than Square's?

Do you think she would have said such a thing if she wasn't 100% sure the deal was made and it was definetely going to happen?

Maybe not in the immediate future but what reason do Square have not to make a GC FF title. Just announcing the renewed partnership made their share price rocket by 19% and Nintendo's 9 (I think).It is mutually beneficial to both companies and therefore makes sense. It will happen.

(and I do know what I'm talking about. I'm a games geek too you know. 8-} )

*sigh* This debate is just gonna go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on.....

11. Double_Sting

Double_Sting Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2001
    Halo is a good enough reason to get the X-Box.

Or wait for the PS3 which comes out next year.

As for lack of games on the XBox. I agree with you right now. But you have to keep in mind that the XBox is a new system. It takes time for new systems to develop a solid collection of games.

And developers are still learning how to exploit the full power of the XBox. You are just seeing a sample of what's to come.

Look at Halo for example. It would not have worked on any other system.

12. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    If you're referring to my post double-sting I don't recall saying that xbox has no quality games. I simply said their games at present do not appeal to me (Halo aside).

13. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    Of course your entitled to your opinion. But how anybody can claim that Metroid Prime will rival Halo in turn of enviroments and graphics based on whats been released is just bizare.

>>>As for Res. Evil it confuses me how you insist that 4/6 games are redundant and the other 2 are sequels to a series that should be dead THEN you go on to say that PS2 is getting Res. Evil Online (news to me but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.)in an attempt to make Sony look good.<<<

Res 1 is being coined a "remake". Res 2,3 and Code Veronica are ports with graphical upgrades. The series got stale after Res 2. Which means that 3 and CV are still going to be stale even with the new graphics. The res games on the cube are all sticking to the same formula. Res Online for the PS2 is at least trying to change the formula. It may very well still suffer from the shoddy controls and camera angels but at least the online element might have some merit.

Resident evil Online for The PS2

The Square quote says the primary concern is GBA games with the possibility of a Cube game. There most likely will be a Square title on the Cube at sometime in it's life but where, when and if is all speculation. To use Square as a reason to buy a Cube is silly. When Square is constantly stating that the PS2 will be the companies main platform and there are no announced Cube games.

-----signature-----

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

14. Double_Sting

Mar 18, 2001
    If you're referring to my post double-sting I don't recall saying that xbox has no quality games. I simply said their games at present do not appeal to me (Halo aside).

That's what I was trying to say. There are not enough games to appeal to everyone right now. But the games are coming. Patience my friend :D

15. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    R_B_E please don't twist my words.

Is it impossible that Metroid may actually wind up being good or *gasp* even greater than Halo?

Also, I didn't say it would rival Halo in terms of graphics, I said it looks almost as good. I know xbox will always have superior graphics.

As for environments I said there is no concrete evidence yet, but the environments (like Halo) appear to be rather huge.

I also don't recall trying to make nintendo look good by using square. I said it is highly beneficial to both companies if FF does come to GC, which NOA has guaranteed so there is no doubt in my mind they have an arrangement.

On RE: I appreciate you have your opinion (like me) but there are alot of people out there who still love RE, I being one of them.
    As I have said earlier, however I think Capcom will have to ditch the series by the time their GC deals are up because by then I believe RE will be tired, as you stated you believe it already is.

Capcom may have coined RE1 as a remake, which in theory it is, however such a vast amount has been improved, added or completely changed that it doesn't really resemble the original that much besides characters and the basic story.

16. Double_Sting

Mar 18, 2001
    Halo wasn't a great game because of graphics alone.

It was a combination of graphics, story, AI, the overall environment you were in.

And how can you forget the sound. That game had the best sound of any game I have ever played.

Music picks up at all the right places, the scores are perfect for the environments, the sounds fit perfectly.

Not to say that Halo won't be surpassed by better games, but it has truly set a benchmark like Doom and Half-Life.

17. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    the scores are perfect for the environments

I haven't fiddled with the create a sound track option yet, but I'm curious on this. I want to stick "Karma Police" in a couple of spots on this game.

18. Double_Sting

Mar 18, 2001
    not sure, i haven't messed around with the sound in Halo.

I have however imported sound into NHL Hitz, but that's a different story.

19. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    Noone said graphics alone make Halo good.

You forgot Goldeneye in your benchmark list double_sting.

20. Double_Sting

Mar 18, 2001
    Yes that is true.

One thing that really irked me about GoldenEye was the horrible control scheme though.

You only used half the N-64 controller and using that joystick was just impossible at first. It was too steep of a learning curve in being able to use the controller effectively.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> You only used half the N-64 controller and using that joystick was just impossible at first. It was too steep of a learning curve in being able to use the controller effectively.<<

The N64 controller was never intended to have the whole controller used at once. It was more or less meant to be 3 controllers connected together, so depending on which way you held it you'd get one fo 3 different controller types. (L & R, L & C, or C & R)

22. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    Goldeneye in my view had a very simple, efficient control scheme. I prefer the N64 stick to ps. In my opinion it's not that well designed and was just sort of thrown on after the N64 came along. Not very comfortable.

Remember there are 6 or 7 different schemes to choose from. The multi-control 1 player is a good laugh.

But enough on N64. It's dead and buried.

Long live ps2, xbox and gamecube! (especially gamecube and xbox though I hate gates.)

23. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    I think I've won this thread! :D

(Awaits angry xbox fan to steal my glory.)

24. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    X-Box will die soon, or atleast it should ;)

25. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    I wasn't aware that the last poster in a thread wins :p

anyway you can root for who you like but if you think Bill Gates/Microsoft would quit, you're dreaming. Resistance is futile

Just wait till KOTOR and Morrowind. And I can't wait till I get broadband to play Halo on the net. That's going to be some fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.