main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Which part of the trailer left out of TFA were you most disappointed about?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by tib2d2, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tib2d2

tib2d2 Jedi Knight

Sep 9, 2011
    "who are you?"
    "I'm no one"
    "the force, is calling to you.."

I also don't recall the scene of Luke's lightsaber being handed to someone that was in the trailer.

For me, I wish the dialogue with Maz was included. I wanted more of her character and I'm bummed we didn't even get to hear the convo that was in the trailer.

Nibelung, oncafar, Tho Yor and 6 others like this.
  2. Dirty_Biggs

Dirty_Biggs Jedi Knight

Nov 6, 2014
    The song and dance number featuring Constable Zuvio.

Oh wait - was that in my head?

3. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    Yeah, the "I'm no one" conversation is something I would be very keen to hear in context.

I was very surprised that they cut out that iconic trailer shot of Kylo igniting the saber in the snow, but it's obvious where the shot would have gone and it's fine without it.

The scene with Maz handing over the saber to Leia is the biggest mystery to me, as they don't even meet in the film and there's no obvious place where that scene could have gone - in the film Maz has given the saber to Finn before Leia even enters the story. That suggests either a hefty re-shoot or a large plot element with the saber left out, and obviously Maz's role was reduced. A very small shot but given its complete lack of sense in relation to the film we saw, it's the one that intrigues me most.

4. Argalin

Argalin Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    It's interesting because in the trailer it shows Kylo, saber ignited approaching Finn and you can see Finn's eyes telling a story like "oh damn I'm outmatched." In the movie Finn actually charges at Kylo first.
    I'm not sure which version I prefer better. I think they decided the theatrical cut made Finn look more brave.

Darth Dnej and Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren like this.
  5. McLaren

McLaren Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 1, 2002
    Yeah, it was liking walking into a restaurant and on the menu is a picture of a beautiful filet mignon. You order it and the waiter brings you a warmed over, stale hamburger and says, "What, you were expecting a steak? That's just there to invoke the emotion of eating a steak."

Of course, that might actually rise to the level of being false advertising. Surely, the Disney legal team vetted the trailers to insure they were in compliance with accepted standards.

Dameron likes this.
  6. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Maz & Leia meeting, and all the implications of the saber hand off.

7. RobbyV

RobbyV Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I know this may sound facetious but I was really looking forward to the stormtrooper bouncing in the air with the big explosion inside the TIE fighter hangar. That part got cut.

AmySolo and Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren like this.
  8. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    Maz giving Leia the lightsaber.

9. JackP

JackP Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2015
    Or maybe that was just a "for trailer" shot?

10. McLaren

May 1, 2002
    Are "for trailer" shots an actual thing? I mean, that's an accepted industry practice these days?

11. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    I was looking forward to more dialogue between Maz Kanata and Rey in accordance with what we heard in the third trailer. I am hoping that it is included in the novelization.

12. JackP

Aug 11, 2015
    I think it's a big fat "depends". I doubt they could get away with trying to pass off a movie as something it's not. Remember the trailer for Tangled had that thing where the hair was tapping the guy's shoulder and stuff?

Is the lightsabre hand-over in the actual trailertrailer, or just the "Force runs in our family" teaser?

13. McLaren

May 1, 2002
    I can see where things get left on the cutting room floor. But, what other movie had a trailer with lines of dialogue by a character who ends up not saying a word in the actual movie?

Dameron likes this.
  14. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    It's very likely that JJ included many shots for the trailers from scenes he knew were already cut.

Dude is playin' chess.

15. Chunkydumb

Chunkydumb Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    Maz handing Leia the saber, would have loved to have seen that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solo-Skywalker likes this.
  16. McLaren

May 1, 2002
    A less charitable interpretation is that the Dude is punking us. We've been Phasma'd!

Dameron likes this.
  17. Chunkydumb

Chunkydumb Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    Double post.

18. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014

Nah, he's fully aware of how many people would love to release every single detail of a SW film before it airs. And with the trailers, it's his job to provide the flavor and feel of the movie while protecting it's story and details.

I wouldn't be surprised if he even shot some scenes simply for the trailers that he didn't ever want included in the first place. That would be smart.

J7Luke and AmySolo like this.
  19. JackP

Aug 11, 2015
    Wasn't Maz meant to induce a vision for Rey, or something?

Maybe the vision would have had metaphors? And by allowing Rey to take the lightsabre, she's metaphorically passing it back to the Skywalkers?

20. McLaren

May 1, 2002
    Or, potentially illegal depending upon whether or not what was promised was what was delivered.

21. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

[​IMG]

J7Luke, MeBeJedi, AmySolo and 3 others like this.
  22. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    I was really looking forward to seeing Maz hand the lightsaber to Leia. Such a shame that was cut, as it would have given Leia just that extra time needed for her (and for us really) to reflect on her brother. It would have also been great if Maz had a little more time with Rey - a scene where Maz tells Rey what the Force is and how she could tap into it would have been great...and it would have justified how she manages to do (or how she even knows of) the Jedi Mind Trick so quickly on Starkiller Base.

I was shocked to find out how many shots and audio clips in the official trailer(s) were cut from the film. Kylo Ren hobbling into the forest and igniting his saber. That cool shot of the Falcon going into hyperspace. "Who are you?" "I'm no one." I do recall JJ saying in an interview (I think it was with Collider) that they cut about 12 whole scenes. I guess they did a lot of rewriting even during the production phase.

23. McLaren

May 1, 2002
    There is plenty of law stating you are free to invoke whatever emotion you want but, if you show an image of a product, what you sell better match that image.

This may be the one place where TFA is truly innovative and pushing boundaries.

Dameron likes this.
  24. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I can only presume that story changed. According to the original MSW plot synopsis, the MacGuffin was the lightsaber itself. In that storyline, I'm sure Maz did hand the saber to Leia. Remember the scene where Finn, Rey, Han and Maz hold hands and see the vision together - the version in TFA was infinitely delivered better.

The Luke dialogue was old stuff from ROTJ and repeated again to intertwine his voice. It was only for the trailer.

I miss the original scene where Kylo Ren is in the forest (with his mask on) and poses with his flimsy saber. It's the first dark image we got of the new trilogy and it didn't make the film.

Vinylshadow and oncafar like this.
  25. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

[​IMG]

J7Luke, CEB and Paparazzo like this.
  26. McLaren

May 1, 2002
    An image is worth a thousand words. That one speaks plenty about you. Try writing an actual sentence.

27. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    the scene with Maz and Leia. It implies Maz made it to the Resistance base with them, and maybe it was planned for Maz to expand more on the saber/luke/whatever.

jaqen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.