main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Which part of the trailer left out of TFA were you most disappointed about?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by tib2d2, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Philosophical

Darth Philosophical Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 8, 2015
    Honestly, I'm most ticked off that the trailer music, which was not repurposed or rehashed from the OT, wasn't used in the film. Specifically, the militarized versions of both the Han/Leia love theme (starts at 1:05) and the force theme. They worked so well in the trailer and I was so hyped to have another classic SW OST, but they are nowhere to be found. :mad:

2. Darth Blade

Darth Blade Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 29, 2014
    It's pretty common to have shots in trailers that aren't in the film, either because of editing or because they were purposely made for the trailer. Just like it's common for a trailer to have lines jumbled in a way that is deceptive because they won't happen that way in the movie.

As someone else mentioned, the job of the trailer is to drum up interest, while hopefully not giving away the whole plot of the film. It's just that with SW we dissect every frame of every trailer to make predictions on what's gonna happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    [​IMG]
    I really liked this shot.. :(

4. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
  5. McLaren

McLaren Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 1, 2002
    Guess I just haven't been paying attention then about the "for trailer" shots thing. Any other examples?

It's good to know that trailers are now allowed to be outright deceptive and not very useful to determining whether or not to see a film.

6. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The only examples I can think of were for the Pixar movies.

They weren't really trailers though, more like shorts that encapsulated the themes of the movies.

7. Darth Blade

Oct 29, 2014

Never trust a trailer.

The Fantastic Four was a big movie from this year with multiple trailer elements not in the film.

http://comicbook.com/2015/08/08/fantastic-four-five-things-from-the-trailer-that-didnt-make-the-/

Batman Begins had an entire scene specifically written and filmed for the trailer:

http://www.cinemablend.com/m/new/Batman-Trilogy-Scene-Was-Recorded-Trailer-87657.html

Several of the Marvel Universe trailers do the same thing. Here's an article specifically about Avengers Age of Ultron and 12 moments that weren't in the film:

http://whatculture.com/film/avengers-age-of-ultron-12-moments-from-the-trailers-not-in-the-film.php

There are plenty of other examples, I was just searching for some of the other large franchises. Here's a couple links that give several other examples:

http://whatculture.com/film/10-movie-trailers-that-totally-lied-to-audiences.php

http://www.buzzsawmag.org/2015/10/21/the-deceptive-movie-trailer/

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NeverTrustATrailer

J7Luke likes this.
  8. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
  9. Darth Blade

Oct 29, 2014
    By the way, while looking up those examples I watched the ROTS trailer and I can't believe how much that spoiled the film. They literally gave away the entire plot in a short two minutes.

10. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    Yeah, this film was too big for giving away everything in the trailers and JJ simply out-manuevered the Internet fanbase.

McLaren, no offense but you come off as pretty angry about this film and its success.

And you obviously never attended law school.

J7Luke and JabbatheHumanBeing like this.
  11. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Definitely the X-Wings flying over the water shot.

J7Luke, dan1210 and whostheBossk like this.
  12. Jensaarai-defender

Jensaarai-defender Jedi Master star 1

Sep 1, 2008
  13. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    I am with everyone here in Leia and Maz scene, where Maz is handing the lightsaber to Leia. They cut that from the movie.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Remember when people said "oh no they can't cut down Maz's role, she was in the trailer!" About that...

15. Lance Toris

Lance Toris Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 22, 2015

Luke's dialogue... "you have that power too". Is he talking to Rey? Or Kylo?

16. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I always thought Rey.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I hope we learn more about that.

18. WickerMan22

WickerMan22 Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2015
    "The Dark Side.......and the Light..."

19. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I hope McLaren goes to court over this. I've just finished watching Making a Murderer on Netflix, and this case has the potential to be an even bigger example of the system failing its citizens if Star Wars doesn't have to dole out millions in compensation from fans who are upset that they didn't see Kylo Ren turn his lightsaber on.

20. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    1. Maz and Leia
    2. Kylo advancing in the snowy forest and igniting his saber. I presume this was merely done for promo purposes as he is not limping and has his hood (and I presume his helmet on)
    3. Rey racing away on her speeder. In the trailer she is looking behind her prior to moving off and she looks anxious. What had just happened?

whostheBossk likes this.
  21. Trooper100471

Oct 20, 2015
    Was that not in the film?

22. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I don't think so.

Admittedly, i've only seen the film once but i'm seeing it for the second, and final occasion, on Monday before it closes. I'll watch out for it.

Did anyone spot this shot in the film? I'm positive it wasn't included in the final cut.

23. Trooper100471

Oct 20, 2015
    Might not have been the same shot tbh but I do recall seeing a shot on the water?

24. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I'll report in after Monday.

25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    In the earlier scripts, Leia appeared earlier in the film. This also appears in the novelization. She makes her entrance as the leader of the resistance and sends her envoy off to Hosnian Prime to keep making the case the NR needs to take on the FO. They don't listen and, like the film, the envoy and Hosnian Prime are wiped out by Starkiller.
    JJ decided to put Leia's first appearance through Han's eyes like the finished film and cut her earlier scenes. With those scenes cut, the sending of the emissary to the NR subplot was lost.

The Maz lightsaber handoff shot appeared when Maz ventured back to the base following the castle attack. She has the saber in that cut, not Finn. JJ and the editors realized Maz didn't necessarily need to just hang around at the base with nothing to do so she didn't make the trip. Because of that, the lightsaber is now taken by Finn and is put back into Rey's pouch for the end trip.

Remember the shoot at Skelling late in production too.

Things changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.