main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Which part of the trailer left out of TFA were you most disappointed about?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by tib2d2, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Well, let me see.

1. Zuvio and another sequence of Rey being harassed by thugs, apparently
    2. Numerous cuts from the flashback, I assume. Particularly regarding the "path of the lightsaber" from Bespin to Maz, the fight between the Seven and the Clan, and actually seeing Luke fight Vader in Bespin (from a different angle).
    3. Maz, Han, Finn and Chewie in the catacombs of her castle AFTER the thing gets blown up. There were scenes of troopers going down there to search for BB-8, and Maz "using her special powers" to evade them.
    4. Maz going to the Resistance Base and interacting with Leia/ giving her the lightsaber.
    5. All of the Kor Sella scenes, and possible other earlier scenes with Leia
    6. An extended speeder chase in the snow on Starkiller involving Finn, Rey and a bunch of snow-troopers
    7. Kylo going with a bunch of snow-troopers to the crashed Falcon, and Kylo entering the Falcon's cockpit and sitting in Han's chair
    8. A possible interaction between Poe and Rey at the Resistance Base near the end
    9. An extended conversation between Leia and Rey at the Base - possibly discussing Luke, Han, etc.
    10. A cut scene involving Snoke describing Vader's "sentimental weakness" that led to the Empire's downfall, and reprimanding Kylo for retaining such sentiments
    11. Unkat Plutt tracking Rey to Takodana and getting his arm ripped off by Chewie.
    12. Some additional scenes with Phasma in the Jakku village at night

This is all I can think of at the moment, but even these scenes could add up to thirty minutes or so.

whostheBossk and Force Smuggler like this.
  2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Wait, are these all confirmed scenes shot for the film?

I do remember them mentioning Kylo went aboard the Falcon at one point when it was on SKB.

3. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    No. Rather, they are guesses drawn from a combination of the novelization, the MSW "shooting documents" leaks (which included information from all scenes that were "shot in the summer)," trailers, official photos, toys, and a few interviews with cast. Oh, and I forgot to add that scene of Unkar Plutt following Han and Rey to Takodana, confronting Rey in the cantina, and Chewie ripping his arm off. Ridley essentially confirmed that this happened.

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Yes, the Chewie arms rip off *was* shot as was the Ben sitting in the Falcon. We also know the Zuvio confrontation with Rey was shot too as well as the Maz/Leia lightsaber handoff and the Sella scenes of various types.
    I've seen stills of the snow scenes but I just wanted to know if all of that has been confirmed.
    Some of the speeder stuff I could honestly do without. Guess it could be cool but the end as it is is a nice balance between the macro SKB assault and the intimate Ben/Finn/Rey confrontation.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  5. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    The shot of Kylo walking through the woods was an awesome shot, imo. Sad to see it go.

If there was a planned scene showing more of the lightsaber and how it got picked up and whatever, I would have liked that.

also, I suspect Phasma was supposed to be at Maz's castle, but they put in TR-8R instead.

6. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    This is what immediately came to mind for me as well. And then Phasma became the biggest let down in the history of let downs.

B99 likes this.
  7. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Luke fighting Kylo, Snoke and the Knight of Ren....oh wait I just dreamed about it and that was not in the trailer. [face_blush]o_O

oncafar likes this.
  8. SithCollections

SithCollections Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 5, 2015
    The reason it bothers me so much that the Kylo ignition in the forest was cut is because it's the only "clean" shot we had of him igniting that badboy! All the scenes that made the movie his lightsaber was ignited off camera and we only "heard" it being ignited. I also with the Maz dialogue of the force calling to "you" and just let it in could have stayed....uggh, the movie was great but I feel like some of the epicness was taken from us due to over-editing.

rowan_greenleaf and SkywalkerOG like this.
  9. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    Yes they should've shown that beast ignite and yeah those were mazs best lines and didn't even make the film!

SithCollections likes this.
  10. Brando_Calrissian

Brando_Calrissian Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2015
    In the trailer there was a Han Solo quote where he said "Got room for an Old War horse?" I could be wrong but I don't think it made it in the movie

11. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014

Fake trailer that's actually from anchorman 2 I thinkā€¦

12. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    I'm really pondering this reply because she doesn't tell Finn the door closed on the Rathtar because of her actions, but she proudly shows off her mechanic skills to Han when she bypasses the compressor.

I wonder also if he ran forward to keep the fighting away from Rey? She was basically directly behind him when he stands to face Ren.

I *adore* the music for the third trailer, guts me deep that it, like the Inception trailer music, only exist for the trailer. :_|

Plus, in the trailer Finn says "I've got nothing to fight for" which should have been kept because then people would realize Maz is giving Finn purpose.

13. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Kylo igniting the lightsaber in the forest, and Maz going to the Resistance base and interacting with Leia are the two big ones of course. As for the list that Jabbathehumanbeing posted, I'm wondering if some of those were cut out at Rian Johnson's request (we know that JJ did make some changes because Rian asked him to). Perhaps to leave things more ambiguous?

-Maz using The Force would have been cool, and given more context to her "I'm no Jedi, but I know The Force" line.
    -Kylo going into the MF and sitting in Han's chair, would have been a nice little character moment for him (also nice parallel to Rey sitting in it earlier on in the film). But I can see why they cut it, for time/pacing sake.
    -The Rey/Leia conversation was supposedly tied directly to R2 waking up when he did, so I'm annoyed that they didn't put that in the movie because not doing so makes R2 waking up at that particular moment seem more contrived/convenient than it apparently was intended to be.

But most of them strike me as classic "we cut them out to make the movie shorter/move at a quicker pace" type of deals. The movie is already like 2 hours 20 minutes, so they probably didn't want a SW film pushing 3 hours.

14. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I know it's been mentioned a lot, but I'll reiterate it anyway. Kylo's hunched over forest saber stalk was badass. It was the scariest Kylo shot in any of the material. It made him look like the grim reaper. It was far more imposing, imo, than the shot of Rey and Finn standing in the trees over his shoulder as he approached. That one was too bright. It looked like something out of a photo shoot.

15. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    I think that maybe that's why it was cut. Kylo wasn't supposed to look like a bad*** in that scene. It's pretty clear that he was supposed to be injured, emotionally-unstable, and mentally coming unglued (which Adam Driver sells REALLY well imo). And having him show up the way that he does in the movie (with the really unhinged-sounding "we're not done yet" line), fits in-context better. Just a thought.

16. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    But the injury and emotional instability is what makes Kylo a creepy villain. He's hunched over because he's injured, and he still stalking them. That's how effed up he is. He doesn't care about his injury. That ties in with the way he pounds his injury, presumably (imo) for adrenaline or dark side power or something.

The "we're not done yet" line to me is just villain cliche. It's not scary.

17. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    It's not supposed to be, that's why it worked. The way that Driver delivers it shows that it's not meant to be scary.

18. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Yeah true. I guess I just prefer scary villains.

It's not a huge criticism. I loved Kylo Ren as a villain. But still, that cut was the biggest disappointment to me from the trailer scenes.

19. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Ok, just got back from my second viewing of the film.

The X-Wings over water shot isn't quite there. Yes, we do see it just before the First Order capture Rey. But, it is edited differently from the trailer. Once Han says, "it's the Resistance", it then cuts to the X-Wings. We see the shot over water but what is different about the shot is that it is zoomed in on the nose of one X-Wing whilst another files in the background. In the trailer, the shot is farther back which makes it look cleaner because we see more light and more X-Wings. Personally, that's the shot they should have used in the film.

20. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, how about that. There's another reason not to watch trailers before seeing the movie, but nooo everyone acts like an automaton by saying "I don't want to be spoiled but it's okay to watch it because it is officially released content."
    I don't know why this is an issue. A movie's editing continues until about a month before release. Some stuff, especially with visual effects, will evolve after trailers are released many months in advance.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The shot of Kylo igniting his lightsaber is possibly the coolest thing I've seen in a movie trailer and definitely super-iconic. Not getting to see that in the movie disappointed me greatly.

I'll just have to live with the grim reality of things, though...

:_|

22. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Where there more scenes with Phasma? Just curious...

23. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm glad I never saw that. I liked being surprised that he took off his helmet. When I did see the trailer after seeing the movie, it looked like it was specifically made for the trailer because there is no one in front of him like when he confronted Rey and Finn in the movie.

24. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Seems like a trend that continued into RO with most trailer footage cut or changed. I really liked the saber igniting in the forest, Maz saying "just let it in" and handing the saber to Leia, Rey taking off huredly in the speeder. Wonder how they all would fit in the current cut of the film.

GMGalenMarek likes this.
  25. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    It seems I'm with the most popular answer of Kylo Ren igniting his lightsaber in the forest. I remember seeing the trailer for the first time with the three steps and then the aggressive ignition and thinking "oh this is going to be wicked."

It was a really cool shot and it deserved to be in the movie, but I guess it wasn't really needed. Looking at it now, they probably did that shot specifically for the trailers and teasers because we technically had no idea who Kylo Ren was, what he looked like, and if the person in the trailer was actually him. I remember being on the spoiler boards here and some of us even thought it could've been Luke. It was a good hype shot while keeping things more secretive, and to see the lightsaber was a huge deal. If they had kept it in the movie we would've already seen his unique lightsaber about 4 times, so it wouldn't have made an impact like it did on the trailer.

Still doesn't change the fact that it was a dope shot, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.