main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which Phantom Menace shot was high definition?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by JediFonger, Jul 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediFonger

JediFonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 1999
    I have been searching for it everywhere, no1 seems to know.

Which shot from Episode I was digital? Some people seem to say it was the Qui-Gon testing Anakin's midichlorian scene.

2. Aerex_Matare

Aerex_Matare Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2005
    IMDb says it's the midichlorian scene and the scene where Obi-Wan is promoted to Knight status.

3. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Any idea why those two? They seem odd choices.

4. Aerex_Matare

Aerex_Matare Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2005
    It was still kind of experimental tech in '99, so he probably didn't want to risk the action sequences. He probably also made them subtle scenes because he was trying to prove a point: you can't tell a big difference bewteen reel film and digital film.

5. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    The scene where Qui Gon samples Anakins blood was the major scene shot with DV ("checking your blood for infections..."). I'm guessing it was chosen to see how DV handles low-light and how it processes black levels--it did both poorly. That is why the scene looks funny--the DV technology was not quite ready yet, which is why Lucasfilm commissioned Panavision to build a proper HD cam that could handle scenes such as that (although on AOTC the nighttime scenes on Coruscant in the beginning still suffer minor versions of the same flaws as the midichlorian scene in TPM, but not nearly as bad).

6. ArthurClavin

ArthurClavin Jedi Master star 1

Jun 23, 2003
    I noticed that back in '99 and never spoke up until now.

//dead serious

AC

7. AnakinSkywalker082

AnakinSkywalker082 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2005
    they were also shot a year later after principal photograhy

8. wcleere

wcleere Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2002
    The Midichlorian testing scene has always looked odd to me as well. (and sounded weird to me as I don't particularly care for the idea of "midichlorian levels" but maybe I should take that discussion to the Sanctuary.

[as mentioned above] the was shot long after Principal photography, and it's also a very low lit scene, [as mentioned above/] as well as short. If any digital scene were to be "snuck in" this one seems to fit the bill.

At the time Lucas claimed that "no one noticed." Seems he may have been mistaken about that.

9. JediFonger

Sep 10, 1999
    thanks guys! any links to any websites that can validate this? it's not that i don't trust you.

10. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    its definitely the balcony scene and yes even my mom whos a simpleton thought something was weird about that scene

11. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I am shocked that someone from 99 would not already have seen this. There is a thread on this every few months. It is the balcony scene where Qui-Gon checks Anakin's blood for the midichlorian count.

12. JediFonger

Sep 10, 1999
    just got back to the board after episode 3 came out =).

does anyone have links to any article explaining this?

13. C Creepio

C Creepio Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 1999
    Me too!

14. JediFonger

Sep 10, 1999
    so can anyone link me to website claiming this shot or that shot? preferably confirmation from interviews with lucas or mccallum.

15. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    I have never noticed this.

16. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    I have also never noticed this. It's nighttime. It's supposed to be dark. What's the problem?

17. STUBRIS

STUBRIS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    I'm with you BothofUs, I think some people are being wise after the event.The only thing that looks "off" in this scene is the fact that Jake has grown quite a bit since Principal photography.

18. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    I always guessed it was the Blood Sample scene. Anakin moves very jerkily when he looks up to the sky.

19. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    The black level is set wrong and there is a slight issue with what looks like convergence on a TV set...

20. JediFonger

Sep 10, 1999
    so, after "all these years" this HD shot is still a rumor? there is no confirmation from any reliable sources? wow.

21. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    No it has been confirmed. Possibly in something on the DVD special features. I'll check my American Cinematographer issue on AOTC. Being a Director of Photography myself, let me tell you, that looks like early HD DV footage and not 35mm film! The jedi council scene i have not confirmed, but it seems likely, as i know that there was one more scene--the fact that the scene is in harsh daylight and filled with CGI matt paintings makes the image acceptable but the night scene is pretty bad. Even in AOTC the technology was not perfect in dark scenes.

22. JediFonger

Sep 10, 1999
    i know for a fact that Rick and George have said that there is a HD shot in Phantom.

but what i want to know is WHICH ONE! i need them to say, "ah, that HD shot is the QUi Gon midichlorian blood count scene."

so far i can't find it. anyone?

23. JediFonger

Sep 10, 1999
    no one knows any hardcore evidence? so even 6 years post TPM, it's all still speculation which scene?

24. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Honestly, until you made this thread I don't think anyone else talked about it in the PT forum.

25. JediFonger

Sep 10, 1999
    again, no1 has evidence of which scene is HD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.