main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which Philosophy, Kyp or Luke's?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lonewolf89, Nov 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Dev, I disagree. On a person-effect scale, Kyp has done far more, as well as actually doing things earlier in the war. The Vong could have already one by the time Luke appeared

2. suncrusherX

suncrusherX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2001
    hmmm, luke allows a covert military operation into vong territory, and everyone says it's his idea? Kyp's been scouting and attacking behind enemy lines for 2 years...

if you say luke's philosophy-of-the-week is effective, you gotta give props to kyp.

3. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Anyway, what was Lukes first thing done? Break a blockade? IIRC, Randa told Jacen about how the Dozen had done the same in BP. He only had his Dozen though

4. dark_jade

dark_jade Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2001
    i completely agree - definitely anakin's. but i think anakin's is a mixture of more than just kyp's and luke's. mara had a really big influence on his way of thinking, too, when they were on dantooine. and there was vua rappung (or however u spell his name), and since anakin is the only jedi who's BEFRIENDED a vong, i think his philosophy is much closer to what's right.

and whatever philosophy there is, it's gotta be better than jacen's. i simply abhor that boy's moral dilemnas.

5. CockyCorellian

CockyCorellian Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2001
    Luke.

Why?

Everyones aware of how Luke is concerned that Kyp walks to close to the Dark Side with his constant attacks. And, at the risk of sounding redundant, remember that Kyp was once a Dark Jedi. That just makes him more susceptible.

Another thing. In "Star by Star" Luke and the Jedi finally throw in with the New Republic and fight. So basically they're now reunited as a single Jedi entity.

"Dont anger a Wookie"

6. Gtra13

Gtra13 Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2001
    Kyp's.

Simple,
    Luke's is weak. Only after his nephew dies will he shaken up. And that is very pathetic.

7. cavalier_one

cavalier_one Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    I'd have to go with the middle ground. There are elements of Luke's views I agree with, as well as some of what Kyp says.

I believe that both have to intregate their views into a cohesive whole in order to unite the Jedi and beat back the Vong.

Both have to compromise and then stand united as a role model for the rest of the Order to follow.

8. darthparth

darthparth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2001
    I was always a Luke supporter, but now it seems Kyp was right, and Luke is starting to look like more and more of an idiot.

9. Jedi_Rock_Star

Jedi_Rock_Star Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2001
    "Cocked, Locked, and ready to rock"
    "KILL'EM ALL!"
    i personally like Kyps to a point, but if they follow Kyp's it'll eventually turn ugly

10. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    luke is going torwd kyps view somewhat, however since they are working together, and kyp is obeying luke, kyp is going to have to compromise as well.

11. jedi_lincoln

jedi_lincoln Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2001
    well, let's see here....Jacen has always said he had had some problems with Luke's philosophies because they were biased due to the Jedi training he had during the tyranny of the Empire. Now, in NJO series, it seems to be the same situation, except Luke isn't as avid a pro attack when that may be what's needed. I mean, Luke DID use the Force to aid him in blowing up the Death Star. Now, this would be similar, if not exactly, to Kyp's ideology!
    So, in short....kyp, they might need an upfront attack tho, maybe a little old school Bothan infiltration *wink wink, nudge nudge*

12. _admiral_kettch_

_admiral_kettch_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 3, 2001
    I'm assuming you're asking about their pre-SBS philosophy, since they work together in SBS. So I'll paste a post I made a couple weeks ago:

For everyone bashing Luke, what would you do in his situation? Take your band of 100 people and go off by yourself to defeat millions and millions of warriors equal to many of your own jedi?? How many of them would be killed uselessly? Do you think Kyp is winning the war against the YV here? Because I can assure you he isn't. He's just doing something because he feels something needs to be done, a mear gnat to the Yuuzhan Vong war effort. He has no concept of patience or strategy whatsoever. Without other support the jedi cannot win this war, and they do not have that support now.

If you've noticed in the NJO Kyp has completely alienated himself from the New Republic, and caused the rest of the jedi to have been alienated as well. Luke has done nothing other than possibly condoning the rescue of jedi children from Yavin IV against the NR's wishes. He realizes they need their support, while Kyp arrogantly believes the NR is utterly worthless and thinks he's the only one who can stop the YV.

If you're asking about the current situation then there's not much to discuss. Now that Luke has the NR military backing his forces he will be able to maximize the damage his jedi can do to the YV instead of suicidally sending his varying level of experienced jedi on unsupported missions, and obviously Kyp will finally follow him. Hopefully the damage he caused can be overcome in time to defeat the YV.

13. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Kyp was once a Dark Jedi.

Ah, but so was Luke, if you remember. He's just as vulnerable(sp?) as Kyp is to the dark side.

As for my opinion, I go with Kyp. Why? Because he satisfies that human desire in me that would burn to do something if the Vong were attacking our galaxy. Maybe if I had the force at my disposal I'd feel different, but right now I admire the more human qualities of Kyp. Plus he's a hottie, I don't care what the pictures in Insider 57 look like, go read Leviathan :D

And isn't this topic a bit lop-sided? God, there are like five Luke supporters in here and all the rest are Kyp supporters! Ah well, we stand up for our man ;) :D

Jae Angel

14. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    we lie in wait, then strike in mass ;)

15. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Do you think I should alert the Jacen Solo FC to this? I?m sure that most of them would be able to balance out the difference. Heck, -Vergere- might be able to do it all on his own.

16. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    nah, going off and doing that is bad form. Let them find it themselves, the lazy things! :)

Oh, another thing:

INFINITIES #4 SPOILERS

Yoda drove the DS into Coruscant, and mind tricked Tarkin into shooting at his own ships. Sounds very.............Kyp-esque, no? :)

I know you could say "Well, it didnt happen", but you could also say "well, this is what WOULD have happened. Yoda WOULD have in that situation done that"

END

17. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    (SxS spoilers)

In SxS they meld their two philosophies together to form a very formiddable force as I and several others have hoped for, ever since Ruin.
    (the fall of Coruscant excluded from example since I don't even think the pre-Empire Jedi coulda stopped that from happening at that point.)

I would say both since both have valid points. Kyp destroy evil whereever it pops up, and Luke's fight evil with wisdom and compassion. Put'em together to form destroy evil wisely and with compasion whereever it pops up...sounds like the pre-Empire Jedi way to me.

18. JediJSolo

Jun 11, 2001
    RF, what exactly was the situation, anyway? A lot of what Kyp does could be considered fine if the circumstances were different.

I-poodoo, the pre-Empire Jedi lasted for a long time, but they were completely defeated by, basically, one extremely intelligent Sith Lord.

I see the old order as something to work from, not aspire towards.

19. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Poodoo, I agree. Kyp's is BEST, but a mix is better

and JediJSolo, lets be picky here, one clever Sith didnt do it. One clever Sith did other things, and would have had help. Lukes method would go down quicker than the old way

20. JediJSolo

Jun 11, 2001
    Perhaps, but that one clever Sith did organize the whole thing.

I doubt that Luke and his followers would have gone down the same way that the old Jedi did. The new Jedi order (and Jacen in particular) are much faster to spot corruption, and evil intentions (Maybe not Leia, but she doesn?t count because she doesn?t consider herself a Jedi). The new Jedi have learned from the mistakes of the old order and have become stronger because of that.

What people think was the philosophy of the old Jedi order, is simply a matter of opinion. We don?t know half as much about the old Jedi order as we do about the new one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.