main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Which PT film had the best score?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Feelicks, Feb 16, 2013.

?

Best PT score?

1. The Phantom Menace

29.4%
  2. Attack Of The Clones

8.8%
  3. Revenge Of The Sith

61.8%
  1. Feelicks

Feelicks Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2012
    For me, it's The Phantom Menace. I love the film as it is, but the score for this film is just amazing, probably even my favorite in the saga next to Empire Strikes Back. I love themes such as The Arrival On Tatooine and The Flag Parade, Duel of Fates, Anakin's Theme, and The Tide Turns. Very varied and memorable score, I love it.

2. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    TPM all the way. For me the essential "Star Wars" pieces of music are the main theme, the Imperial March and the Duel of the Fates.

Feelicks likes this.
  3. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Hard to say. I think its a tie between TPM and AOTC. But ROTS music is overall good also. I think the PT music in general is better than the OT music. Across the Stars is John Williams' best musical theme of his career. Duel of the Fates is also very good. I was underwhelmed by Battle of the Heroes.

4. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I think Sith. It riles the most emotions out of me. But all three are excellent. TPM feels the most innocent and naive, while AOTC feels dreamy at some times, but harsh and cloudy at others.

Sith has so many of my favorite pieces: Ruminations, battle of the heroes, anakin vs obi-wan, the boys continue, anakin's betrayal, the immolation, order 66, etc.

5. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    To me TPM is the most "Star Wars" feeling of the three, if that makes any sense. The ROTS soundtrack and especially the AOTC soundtrack feel sort of like cut and paste jobs from all of the other films with nothing that seems especially original.

6. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    I would've said AOTC after TPM thanks to "Across the Stars". Beautiful piece. Nothing in ROTS really stands out to me except maybe the synthesizer stuff in the "Ruminations" scene.

7. DeviantSpirit

DeviantSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Grevious Speaks To Lord Sidious has always been a favourite of mine. Couple that with Anakin's Betray and Ruminations...I could go on. Revenge Of The Sith has simply a beautiful and haunting score.

But Phantom Menace edges out for me. That soundtrack transports me. I can't not listen to that without thinking about adventure and triumph and grandeur. I'm also of the opinion that the prequels feature better music than the originals.

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Revenge of the Sith

9. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    I like them all, but I have to say AOTC. Magic.

10. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Feelicks, didn't you say that The Phantom Menace was too childish for a Star Wars film?

11. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Across the Stars is my fave piece from the PT. But as a total I have to go with ROTS.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Episode 1 Favorite songs-Duel of the Fates, Augie's Great Municipal Band, The Trip to the Naboo Temple, Arrival at Tatooine/The Flag Parade, Panaka and the Queen's Protectors, The Droid Invasion, Qui-Gon's Noble End.
    Episode 2-Across the Stars, Love Pledge and the Arena, Confrontation with Dooku, Jango's Escape, Bounty Hunter's Pursuit
    Episode 3-Star Wars and the Revenge of the Sith, Battle of the Heroes, General Grievous, Grievous and the Droids, Anakin vs. Obi-Wan, Anakin's Dark Deeds, Enter Lord Vader, the Immolation Scene, A New Hope and End Credits.

13. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I think they're all really great, but if I had to rankorder them I'd do 3>2>1, which coincidentally (or perhaps not) is how I'd rank the movies themselves.

14. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Revenge of the Sith--Lord of the Rings aside, the most dynamic, emotionally intense film score of the past two decades. Perhaps the finest Star Wars score.

I can't say which synthesis was more inspired: Battle of the Heroes and Duel of the Fates, or Qui Gon's Funeral, The Force Theme and the Imperial March.

15. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    It's close but I go with TPM as a score its brilliant from Duel of the Fates to Anakins theme and the great Municipal Band which is the Emperors theme in different key is brilliant.
    Sith is a close second with battle of the Hero's and Anakin's betrayal/Padme's betryal and Enter Lord Vader all great

Clone's is the weakest in while Across the Stars is great the rest of the score is pretty weak in jmo

16. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I'll throw my hat in the arena and say TPM. It's a bit of an unlikely score with many of its lush, regal overtones, and a light, playful quality, too. But it doesn't shirk on the darker, edgier, mysterious, fateful side of Star Wars, either. Many parts of AOTC and ROTS are mind-blowing, though. And ROTS has the most dramatic presentation of its score, surely. I'm sticking with TPM, though, because "Duel Of The Fates" was the first really "big" piece of music for Star Wars, aurally recasting this space opera as a true mythological epic. And for what else I just said about it. Little moments have a nice ambiance, largely because of the music, like when Anakin activates Threepio both times, first introducing Threepio to Padme, and then to say goodbye. And I like that "Seahawk / Mysterious Island" feel to bits like the planet core sequence. The music of every Star Wars film really conveys its "sacred heart", so to speak; and TPM's definitely has the quality of an intrepid child longing for exploration, wanting to be wow-ed, and keen to be a little frightened, as well. Big, bold, and evocative, it seems John Williams outdid himself with this one.

17. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    This is like asking me to name my favorite of the three films, period. Impossible. Likewise, articulating each of the three scores is like articulating as a whole each of the three films. I mean, I guess The Phantom Menace, right? (that’s the bubble I checked, anyways--for now) Probably because it has the most expansive and varied tapestry of musical themes and identities; a sprawling, epic score all its own; the most topographical, with higher peaks and deeper valleys, so to speak. In fact, it just might be the biggest score out of all six films. With the latter two prequels Williams’ material becomes, eh, more specific, more exclusive, to key aspects of the storied content, and also more ambient, though none of it is any less effective. The "Across the Stars" romance theme is the saddest and most fatalistic piece probably ever written for the saga, while the rest of the music for Attack of the Clones ventures into finer and finer curiosities: a Herrmann inspired frenzy rock rift for the air speeder chase, flamenco percussions for Anakin’s duel with Dooku, seedy noir moods for Kamino (practically identical to Minority Report), angelic youth choir for the star-map sequence à la hatching baby raptor, and a fluty medieval motif for scenes of courtship ...all of this novel to Star Wars. Revenge of the Sith is certainly the heftiest in terms of tragic drama, and also the weirdest: those deep male voice chants heard during the opera scene is like something out of Apocalypse Now, and who would’ve ever expected to hear in a Star Wars film the kind 'ancient future' Blade Runner tones that accompanied Padme and Anakin’s shared moment of despair across a magic-hour, Coruscant skyline? Pretty crazy stuff. However, I think my favorite piece of music is heard during the birth of the twins. It’s such an infinite little moment that takes all of Star Wars into the furthest depths of some waking dream, connecting both trilogies with a kind of 'once upon a time' lullaby storybook quality.

But, yeah, back to The Phantom Menace score. I’d say it’s the most dynamic, the most innocent and unassuming, and the most fun. That said, my favorite score from the entire saga would actually be Return of the Jedi (perhaps with the movie itself creeping up to the same tier). I won’t go into detail, suffice to say the Luke and Leia sibling theme, heard during their Ewok village nighttime conversation, is arguably the most underrated and least discussed of all the musical cannon from Star Wars. It’s also one of my favorites.

Cryogenic and Seagoat like this.
  18. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Without a doubt it's gotta be The Phantom Menace. Anakin's Theme and Duel of the Fates alone set it lightyears ahead of the other two prequels. Not to mention the rest of the new music we got!

Having said that, AOTC gave us Across the Stars and ROTS gave us Battle of the Heroes, so it's all good really! :)

19. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Duel of the Fates is one of the better pieces in the PT, but I really like Across the Stars and the score in AOTC.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  20. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Had to vote for ROTS. in my opinion it's the soundtrack that has the largest amount of strong, dramatic material. the other two have strong points here and there, But overall a lot of it is filler for episodes I & II. but the score for ROTS is just great all the way through IMO: The opening, order 66, ruminations, the immolation, and of course "Battle of the heroes" (which is one of my favorite bits of any film score)- all those are great!

In TPM and a AOTC, the only pieces I really like there are the trade federation army theme, "Duel of the fates," and "across the stars", And the final scene of AOTC, but that's it.

The score for revenge of the Sith begins in the opening scene with such a great sense of intense anticipation, and throughout the rest of the movie Every piece captures the mood perfectly and represents the danger, emotion and despair of the situation very well... A Soundtrack that is truly fitting for the final episode of the trilogy that ends in tragedy!

21. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    I really like Across the Stars and Duel of the Fates for different reasons and I would say they are my two favorite individual pieces from the PT. As a whole, however, I would have to give the edge to ROTS. Battle of the Heroes is great and together with Anakin's Betrayal it seals the deal for me.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Revenge of the Sith for me, but I thought they were all very well scored. The Ruminations scene and that piece of music is so powerful.

23. lbr789

lbr789 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    Of course Duel of the Fates is epic, and Across the Stars is probably my favorite piece of instrumental music ever, but overall I'll have to go with RotS. Ruminations, Battle of the Heros, the Immolation, Order 66, Anakin's Dark Deeds- all are so amazing and powerful. I absolutely love the scores of all six movies, but RotS would be my overall favorite if I absolutely had to choose.

24. Iefan

Iefan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2013
    Revenge of the Sith was able to blend the brilliance of Phantom Menace and Clones with the Original Trilogies soundtrack. That's why I think it wins out.

25. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    tough to say, ep 1 or 2 though