main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Which saber fight was better?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pfcoolio14, Dec 30, 2015.

?

Which Saber fight did you enjoy more?

1. Finn vs Kylo Ren

40 vote(s)
    29.0%
  2. Kylo Ren vs Rey

98 vote(s)
    71.0%
  1. Pfcoolio14

Pfcoolio14 Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    Of the two final saber fights in the movie, which did you enjoy more?
    Finn vs Ren
    or
    Ren vs Rey
    Elaborate if you can

2. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    Kylo vs Ren.

A non force user putting up a fight vs Kylo was making me cringe the whole time.

3. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    Ren v Rey all the way. It means more in terms of the overall narrative

4. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    Kylo vs Finn. It was quicker but it was brutal, more tense (although Kylo and Rey was too), and aided by the lack of music and cutaways during their duel.

5. Pfcoolio14

Pfcoolio14 Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    Ya, their fight felt a lot more gritty and that's one of the things that I liked about it

afrojedi and Sgt. Carver like this.
  6. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Finn's was barely a fight at all, once Ren rode out the first charge he was dominant. Sure Finn got a cheap shot in but it only made Ren angry, it didn't noticeably impede him at all. Rey on the other hand got a fight with a proper narrative and while the 'heroic comeback' is an old, old trope it's a Star Wars tradition and justifiable with Rey's 'awakening.'

7. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    Kylo vs Rey was obviously better. Rey is a force user and was capable of fending Ren off whereas Finn was simply being toyed with so that we could get our big reveal and see Rey reach out with the force and take the lightsaber. Finn was outmatched and got punished for trying to play in the big leagues. He couldn't even fend off a stormtrooper. Standing up to Ren was tantamount to suicide.

8. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    Kylo vs Finn was the better fight. You can see during Kylo vs Rey that they are consciously showing us that Rey is untrained and her technique unrefined, so it seems a little crazy that she 'beats' Kylo, and the pacing of that fight is odd too. A rematch with both of them completing their training should be interesting indeed!

Finn, on the other hand, may never pick up a saber again...

Ruffmeian likes this.
  9. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    The fact that two newbies who have never used a lightsaber were able to fight a trained former-Jedi is ridiculous. Couldn't buy it at all. It doesn't make Rey seem powerful it just makes Kylo Ren seem like the incompetent villain in the saga.

10. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Kylo v Rey. Loads more going on thematically..

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    They were both more raw and wild than controlled finesse, and both were believable as combatants trying to kill each other without a lot of flashy moves. I'm going to have to see it again before I try to choose.

12. Darth_Soju

Darth_Soju Jedi Master

Jan 5, 2003
    Rey all the way.

I also thought that she fought like the Emperor, with the thrusts and all.

13. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    Rey v. Kylo all the way. Finn v. Kylo was pretty one sided and you could tell Kylo was being a cocky SOB with his saber twirls and spinning hammer attacks. Rey v. Kylo had that beautiful long shot of Kylo driving Rey back as she's frantically trying to counterattack, and when she embraces the Force and starts fighting back more effectively you can just watch Kylo's morale plummet like a rock.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  14. Infinite Cactus

Infinite Cactus Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 21, 2015
    This.

15. Pluvial

Pluvial Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    The outcome of Finn vs Ren isn't... far fetched, but this outcome kind of contributes to the ridiculousness of the later duel.

16. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Again, Kylo was horribly wounded and he wasn't trying to kill Rey. This was made clear in the film that you allegedly watched.

17. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015

The snarkiness is real.

18. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    I actually really like that aspect. He's not a Skywalker, not a Solo, doesn't come preloaded with story meaning, doesn't have the Force, can't save the girl, but he'll still fire up a lightsaber and get in there like, "Oh yeah? Well take this and this and this!" No he didn't last long, nor should he have lasted even as long as he did, but I respect that when faced with the power of the dark side, he fought to the end.

I have never been heavily invested in the whole "Non-Force-sensitives will instantly self-decapitate" angle, so I like that Finn gets to cross blades with his old boss.

19. Pluvial

Dec 19, 2015
    Yeah, non force sensitives can use lightsabers. It's been this way for a long time. Vizsla, Grievous, etc. It's about training.

CrazyOldJedi and rdhight like this.
  20. Mars457

Feb 3, 2013
    You need training with a sword to fight expertly with it. It's considerably easier to avoid impaling yourself on it, especially if you're physically fit and already have training with other melee weapons (and the accompanying physical coordination).

And even an untrained novice can get a lucky hit on a more experienced swordsman if that more experienced swordsman isn't taking the novice seriously.

21. Pluvial

Dec 19, 2015
    Okay, I don't disagree with any of this, I think. I want to say going from a staff to a sword, let alone a lightsaber would be ridiculously hard to manage, however.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  22. Mars457

Feb 3, 2013
    I'm not sure why you're bringing this up again.

23. Pluvial

Dec 19, 2015
    Who knows.

24. Finn Calrissian

Finn Calrissian Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    Kylo's injury was supposed to appear to the audience as more debilitating than it did. That was the problem.

Shaak Ti and Thom Skywalker like this.
  25. Pluvial

Dec 19, 2015
    Perhaps.

From the beginning, they had to wound Kylo Ren so the outcome is believable. But, they also want to attribute Rey a significant amount of credit for the win. Ren's injury can't be so significant that Rey's victory is utterly meaningless. So, there is definitely a need for a delicate balance.

This could be why Ren is able to do things he shouldn't be able to do if he was actually injured to the extent where a loss to a completely untrained opponent is believable.