main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Which saber fight was better?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pfcoolio14, Dec 30, 2015.

?

Which Saber fight did you enjoy more?

1. Finn vs Kylo Ren

40 vote(s)
    29.0%
  2. Kylo Ren vs Rey

98 vote(s)
    71.0%
  1. TimeZone

TimeZone Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 29, 2015

It looked to me like they used heavier sabres for the duel. She looked like she wasn't wielding it as easily as Finn and Kylo. You're the first person I've seen who was actually impressed with her with the sabre. Kind of surprised to seen it that way. I didn't.

2. Sable de luz

Sable de luz Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    Im one of the few that liked the prequels fights better. (the ones who are short enough and have not much cgi)

obi and qui gon still is my favourite by far.

Darth Dementor likes this.
  3. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I liked the Rey vs Ren fight better. I think they were simply trying to illustrate Rey's strength in the force. Ren has obviously had more training, but taking a shot from Chewie's bowcaster was devastating. They made it a point to demonstrate how powerful the bowcaster was throughout the movie. Rey was also strong enough to pull the lightsaber from the snow, overpowering Ren. When they played that classic theme when she did that, I welled up.:bluesaber:

4. Darth Dementor

Darth Dementor Jedi Master star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    Not to mention he offered to train her, in an attempt to lure her to the dark side.

5. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    That's what I meant by "he wasn't trying to kill her." He was trying to recruit her!

6. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Exactly. In both the OT and PT we get to see the progression of Luke/Anakin, not wielding a saber at all in the first films, being easily dispatched of by more experienced foes in the second films, and coming into their own in the 3rd as their youth, athleticism and mastery of technique allows them to defeat said foe. For Rey to pick up a lightsaber and become an automatic bad ass does not fit into that universe.

Sarge and Shaak Ti like this.
  7. avasatu

avasatu Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    Finn vs Ren looked cooler, but made less sense.

8. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I also wanted to mention, remember what JJ said? They were trying to go more for the fighting style of the originals. They wanted to highlight power and brutality. With a little modernization of course.

9. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    Finn vs Ren felt real (assuming Finn is FS) and almost exactly like Kendo plays out, but I was severely annoyed by the Rey fight, and it barely makes sense if she was a Lightsaber prodigy as a kid Sabers are about as similar to a staff as a spear is to a rapier.

Pfcoolio14 and afrojedi like this.
  10. Davrum

Davrum Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 16, 2015

Rapier shmapier, give me katana comparisons or give me death. [face_skull]

11. Finn Calrissian

Finn Calrissian Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    Rey was able to compete with Ren because 1) Ren doesnt want to kill her, 2) Ren is injured bad, and 3) Rey is a prodigy.

I see Kylo's loss almost the same way I see Obi Wan's loss to Vader in ep. 4. He didnt want to win.

DavidSword79 likes this.
  12. Shaak Ti

Dec 22, 2015
    except the blade of a Saber is weightless, while a Katana has plenty of heft.

13. MilesEdgeworth

MilesEdgeworth Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    That and how not to charge at someone in the middle of a fight.

He's the leader of the First Order, his credentials were well established. It was likely a hint at future events.

14. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Ben versus Rey by a mile.

There was more at stake for Rey. Finn came in to protect her and got smacked down pretty handily. Rey fulfilled her potential and her story in this film, grabbed the saber, and held on and beat Ben eventually. But if you watch the film, Ben bests her through most of it…until the very end. In fact, she runs away most of the time and just tries to hold him at bay.

jakobitis89 and DavidSword79 like this.
  15. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    It's almost as if she was accustomed to a weapon with a longer reach and doing strikes for such a weapon.

After her Force-aided heroic second wind you could see Daisy attacking much more easily and confidently, and again the sword arm grappling was impressively weighty.

Sarge likes this.
  16. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008

Thing is though this is someone with serious anger management issues (see the ruined equipment). As soon as Kylo Ren got hit, from what we saw earlier in the move, he would have got real angry, powering his Dark Side in a big angery tantrum

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. Davrum

Apr 16, 2015
    Except rapier blades bend, while a lightsaber does not. ;)

Plus the whole thing about how jedi are really just space samurai.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  18. Shaak Ti

Dec 22, 2015
    Well yes, but I was really just trying to emphasize the difference between a lightsaber and staff, not the similarities between a rapier and lightsaber or a spear and staff.

19. Davrum

Apr 16, 2015

I know, I was just messing around. Star Wars BANTER! :D

Shaak Ti likes this.
  20. Shaak Ti

Dec 22, 2015
    INCONCEIVABLE! I CHALLENGE THEE to a kendorapier duel!

Davrum likes this.
  21. Pfcoolio14

Pfcoolio14 Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    I couldn't find a word for it, but I felt the same way. For some reason Finn vs Ren felt more believable while Rey vs Ren seemed to be lacking something the other had which I couldn't pinpoint.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  22. MilesEdgeworth

MilesEdgeworth Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    My only real complaint about the Rey ren duel was that if the planet wasn't exploding, they'd probably still be fighting since it was a case of Rey running from Ren and Ren chasing her.
    But yea in that duel, Finn felt like Ren's more natural opponent since they seemingly wanted to take each other's head off when they were fighting.

Sarge likes this.
  23. AurilliusPrime

AurilliusPrime Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    Kylo was clearly in another league and had the force as well as technique but the fight felt less choreographed. Kylo/JarJar 2.0 felt like Luke vs Vader in ESB while for some reason Kylo/god felt like Palpetine/Mace Windu in ROTS.

24. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

I have to agree

25. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    For the 100th time - What's so hard to understand about Rey winning?

1. Kylo was seriously injured
    2. Kylo was clearly unsettled after killing his father
    3. Kylo wasn't trying to kill Rey; he wanted to bring her to Snoke
    4. Rey was actually losing handily for most of the fight
    5. Rey was able to tap into the force (IIRC according to the novel I believe she taps into the dark side; could be some very interesting things coming in Ep 8) and this allows her to gain an advantage and clearly takes Kylo by surprise

I don't know how they could make it any clearer why things went down as they did. There was nothing at all at odds with any Star Wars continuity or Canon.

Not the exact same situation - but in real life inferior fighters sometimes do get in lucky shots and win during Boxing/MMA/etc.