main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which scene most often brings tears to your eyes?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Ananta Chetan, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Which scene from the saga most frequently moves you emotionally to tears... either of joy or sadness?

2. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    For me, currently...
    Since discovering the PT fairly recently and after numerous viewings, I've become very much entranced with the depth and complexity of ROTS.... now when I watch the final celebration scene of ROTJ and see Luke observing Anakin (Hayden) reconciled with and dressed as a Jedi and standing with the other two Force Ghosts of Obi-Wan and Yoda, I feel a very sweet and complete joy in my chest. :)

I recently followed a tip of a fellow fan and watched the movies in this order: ANH, TESB, TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ROTJ. This made Anakin's redemption and fulfillment of the prophecy much more impactful for me.

3. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The executions of the Jedi in ROTS. It always gets me.

4. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    I think Ewan is brilliant in ROTS... I adore the scene where he talks to Padme and upon leaving says..."Im so sorry...." Always gets me! Vader casting out the Emperor and 66

5. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Vader burning on the funeral pyre

6. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Anakin burning alive on the banks of Mustafar.

And Vader's final words to Luke on the Death Star.

7. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    For a long time it was the immolation scene in ROTS and Luke's burst of rage against his father in ROTJ, but even though those scenes are still incredible and effective, the scene that hit me the hardest recently has been the "Anakins Dream" scene from ROTS.

Just the measure of tragedy in that scene gets me. Imagine being someone with an established ability to see the future in your dreams, and then to dream about your wife dying in childbirth? The way the score starts mysterious as Anakins wakes up from his dream, then gets more somber and mournful as Anakin reveals to Padme the content of his dream. It's a scene that feels very classic "Star Wars" in its melodrama, but also has the strongest element of Greek Tragedy of any point in the film, in my opinion.

8. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Probably the scene with the most haunting and beautiful music in the entire saga so far. (Being able to right "so far" gives me such joy)

Anyways, the scene where I kind of get emotional is Vader's death at the end of ROTJ and the funeral scene. Vader's immolation in ROTS made my father bawl in theaters though.

Pensivia likes this.
  9. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    The scenes that make me cry are:

*Anakin saying good-bye to Shmi in TPM
    *Anakin and Padme's wedding in AOTC
    *Padme's funeral in ROTS
    *Luke and Han say good-bye in TESB
    *Anakin's death in ROTJ

10. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    I don't cry at movies. I feel like I should lol

11. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Padme's funeral never fails to bring tears to my eyes. All of Naboo is there to mourn their beloved Queen and Senator, even Jar Jar is looking sad.The final, perfect touch is that Padme is still holding the japor snippet. She never stopped believing in Anakin, not even in death.

12. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    Anakin holding his dying mother made me well up a few times. (The music certainly didn't hurt) Then once she died, there came the chills. Episode II is probably my least favorite of the saga, but that was a very effective sequence.

13. thebeanpole

thebeanpole Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

...just kidding.

I think one of the most moving scenes is the execution of the Jedi in ROTS. It always gets to me, especially Ki-Adi-Mundi's death and Zhett Jukasa's. Ki-Adi-Mundi knows that the clones are about to kill him and he dies fighting like a true warrior should, and when Zhett Jukasa goes down fighting the clones I find it very moving and sad. Here's a young Jedi pupil, caught up in one of the most significant and calamitous events in the galaxy, and he responds by doing the only thing he can...fighting back, even when everything is hopeless and all is lost. He probably would have been a great Jedi Knight and helped dozens of people, but instead was cut down in senseless violence.

As a close second is the ROTJ victory scene. It just wraps everything up, I remember once when I was finished rewatching the entire saga I got chills when the end celebration came and the ghosts of Yoda, Anakin, and Obi-Wan appeared and I realized everything was coming to a close. So powerful.

14. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    The last hour of ROTS is a near tear jerker for me, in fact it just adds to the emotional punch in ROTJ and makes Anakin's redemption that more satisfying. So yeah if I were to cry (manly tears at that) it'd be last hour of ROTS and the final duel leading up to Anakins death in ROTJ

15. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Your dad actually cried in a movie theatre? lol

16. Kenobi098

Kenobi098 Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2013
    ROTJ Funeral Pyre scene for me gets me emotional but not brought tears. Only 3 films have made me cry ever. The end of Field of Dreams, where he asks his father to play catch. The end of United 93 and the scene in Schindler's list were Stern gives Oskar Schindler the ring that is inscribe with the quote from the Talmud "Whoever saves one life, saves the world entire." Each gets me for a different reason. Field of Dreams because I love baseball and there is something so simple as playing catch with your father. United 93 because of the bravery of the men and woman who apparently fought back knowing that there were most likely going to die but determined to not let the hijackers harm more people by hitting a big target. Schindler's list ending gets me due to my ethno-religious background(Surprising other Holocaust movies like Defiance or The Pianist do not cause tears for me).

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  17. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

Hardcore Star Wars fan who just got back from Iraq just in time to see that movie with me. Watch yourself, grown men can cry too. :p

18. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    The ending of ESB where Leia and Luke stare out at the Falcon pulling away wondering if they will ever see their friend Han Solo ever again. John Williams score is PERFECT as it rolls to the end credits.....

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Order 66
    The Immolation scene

20. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    These days, I get misty when Luke tosses his saber aside in ROTJ, refusing to kill Vader, and declares "I'll never turn to the dark side. You've failed, your highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

Love. Hope. Compassion. Redemption. We need these things now more than ever. This moment in the saga is absolutely beautiful.

21. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    There are two scenes where I almost always cry, though in one case, out of sadness, in the other, out of happiness.

First, in ROTS. The scene were Obi-Wan confronts Padme in her apartment.

"Anakin is the father, isn't he? ...I'm so sorry..." and John William's score during that scene is simply... that alone could bring tears.

My other main tear jerking moment is in Episode VI, during the victory celebration. I personally prefer the newer version (again Williams... you musical god) even with Hayden as Anakin's ghost, but nothing against those who prefer Shaw ^_^

22. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Some of the dialogue makes my eyes water. Does that count?

23. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Great thread idea, Ananta Chetan...

There are only two scenes that have literally made me tear up:

1) (copied from a recent post I made in the SWC Yoda Fan Club thread):

2) Anakin's dying words to Luke, particularly the line "You already have, Luke."

There are a number of others that also pack a powerful emotional punch for me, though, including:

ROTS:

--Order 66 Jedi deaths (oh, the music in that sequence!)

--Obi's "I'm so sorry" to Padme

--Obi's "You were my brother!" lines

ROTJ:

--Vader's "It's too late for me, son"

24. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    One time. When I was watching the whole saga in one day. It was during the rumination scene in RotS.

No dialogue. Just Pad & Ani looking towards eachother across Coruscant contemplating a dark future. And that haunting music that stands out as different from the rest of the soundtrack. All the sadness of the saga hit me when I was emotionally invested and I got a little leaky.

25. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Seriously now...

Anakin leaving his mother in TPM.

Order 66 / The Jedi purge in ROTS.

Closing ROTS montage with the twins being delivered to their adoptive families, complete with appropriate music.

Obiwan glancing towards Luke then sacrificing himself in ANH.

"Hear me, Leia," and reaction in TESB.

Yoda's death.

Anakin's death and burial in ROTJ.