main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which scene most often brings tears to your eyes?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Ananta Chetan, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Shadow_imperium

Shadow_imperium Jedi Master

May 14, 2004
    It's usually around the middle of the second lap of the pod race that I'm sobbing like a little girl.....

In all due seriousness while I'm pretty certain I've ever cried, I agree that Anakin's conversation to Luke at the end of ROTJ is heart wrenching. As for emotional responses the highest peak in the Saga for me is Vader silently...yes SILENTLY watching his son being tortured, screaming out for help, in what seems like hours Vader looks to his son, then his master, and back and suddenly Anakin is reborn, attacking the Emperor with what remained of his strength saving his son at the cost of his own life. The score is perfect and completes the scene that always makes my hair stand on end.

2. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

3. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i love the silent turns of the head too in that scene and Vaders helmet has never looked so heavy and cumbersome...as for the second lap of the pod race, at that point my little boy is usually sitting on a cushion on the floor driving an imaginary pod and giggling joyfully...scary actually as he looks a little bit like him too :) Actually those two scenes are good examples of the SW opposite ends of the scale, Anakin as a young boy with his future ahead of him (like my son) and me sitting on the sofa behind him reflecting about the things ive done in the past........

4. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Anakin and Padme discussing Anakin's first dream. Tragic.

minnishe likes this.
  5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Silently, what is this silently you speak of??????? I thought Vader yells NO, NO ;)

6. Shadow_imperium

May 14, 2004
    Yeah yeah, Lucas wants/wanted Nooo to be in every film after shoving it in comically in ROTS (although I can't remember/don't feel like watching to find out where or if there's one in AOTC), along with I got/have a bad feeling. I was never one to care about the changes, to a degree, yeah Han shooting made him more badass, and Jabba's lines don't really fit in to how we knew him, but for the most part I was fine with the SE/2004 changes. Blurays come along and something inside me snaps, I don't remember the day but I'll never forget the feeling of seeing Vader say noooo in ROTJ for the first time on YouTube, I was pissed. To this day I'm surprised at how much this angered me, I love this scene as I explained, the DSII duel is what I think of when I think Star Wars. Beyond personal feelings, I see this as a change for the worst cinematically, the silence is what makes that scene work, Vader is going through an internal fight with Anakin, the body language alone conveys the message. As jarring as hearing a voice is, because it was done recently it sounds off compared to the rest of the film. Because of this one change I just can't bring myself to watch the Bluray ROTJ for what I guess are all personal feelings, but hey this is a thread about emotional responses :p And for me it will always be a silent moment.

Carbon1985 likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Shadow_imperium Obi-Wan yells No Anakin no right when Anakin charges Dooku at the start of the duel or Qui-Gon saying it when Anakin was killing the Tusken Raiders.

8. Shadow_imperium

May 14, 2004
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    You're welcome

Shadow_imperium likes this.
  10. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    When *Anakin* saves Luke in ROTJ.

11. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    It's always interesting when a SW fan has that moment when a change Lucas made makes them so mad that it truly anger us. Although I always preferred the OOT versions, I wasn't that bent out of shape of the 1997 changes. The change that pissed me off and still pissed me off today is when Lucas deleted Shaw from the Ghost Scene and inserted a 20 year old Hayden in 2004 DVD. As a kid, I loved that ending as Luke sees his father as an old man next to Kenobi and it always put a smile on my face as Kenobi and Anakin had that grandfatherly look in that ghost scene.

I still refuse to watch that ROTJ SE ending, as when I watch the ROTJ Bluray,, I stop it and I pop in the OOT ending everytime so I get that emotional response I got in 1983.

12. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Since I saw ROTS first I have a different reason that the ROTJ "Nooooo-" annoys me. It's mainly because I love how tragically it was used in ROTS. It's definitely my favorite scene in the prequel trilogy. Between "I have the high ground!", "They Promised us Peace!", the clones killing the Jedi in Order 66, there was so much ridiculous dialogue and crazy things happening at all at once. It has an extremely surreal and unintentionally hilarious quality when watching it.

And suddenly everything stops. The dialogue stops, the action stops - only to focus on Vader's breathing as the helmet gets placed on the wreckage that was Anakin Skywalker. Everything is sickeningly silent as it would be after the world violently ends.
    The silence is only broken with three words that are completely heart-breaking. "Where is Padme?" It's basically a jarring crash to reality and I will always be incredibly disturbed by that scene.

But even more disturbed that they would pull it from that context and put it into ROTJ

CoolyFett likes this.
  13. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Shadow_imperium
    I too am moved by the subtlety of this scene, as it builds to the climax, including the details you mentioned, as well as the Sith-lightening reflectively flashing off of Vader's helmet as he silently observes. I also imagine, since seeing ROTS, that some part of Vader must be recollecting that near deja vu moment 20+ years ago when he was witnessing the same being done to Mace Windu and how his choices that day had cost him everything. And now, finally, in one simple act, the chance to reconcile all of it. I also love the first response we see from Luke, his facial expression, the surprise and delight in his eyes, when he witnesses his father seizing Sidious.

14. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Vader looking back and forth from Palpatine to Luke and--finally--making the decision to save Luke. Luke struggling to carry the wheezing, dying Vader back to the ship.

"Luke, help me take this mask off."
    "But you'll die."
    "Nothing can stop that now. Just for once, let me look upon you...with my own eyes."

The removal of the mask, the exchange of weak smiles, then, "Now go, my son...leave me."
    "I can't leave you here. I've got to save you."
    "You already have, Luke. You were right...you were right about me. Tell your sister...you were right."

I got misty-eyed just typing that. :_|

Andy Wylde likes this.
  16. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I get angry every time I watch ROTJ with a friend and they put on old version. The one without the redeemed Anakin that connects the whole (at that time) Saga. That one scene with the REAL Anakin Skywalker happy and at peace, looking as he did before his fall, makes that whole film worth watching. Without it, its all just Jabba and Ewoks.

CoolyFett likes this.
  17. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    Here is the difference: You don't have to ever watch that version because the Bluray version is fully remastered in the newer version where the original version has only been released in a crappy non anamorphic version.

18. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    For me Vader telling Luke he's his father, and Obi-Wan after he's defeated Anakin. "You were my brother Anakin. I loved you."

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  19. Shadow_imperium

May 14, 2004
    That's true, it's either everything or one specific change, and it seems to be wide ranging, so it's always "fun" to see someone's tipping point. I can totally feel for you in that instance I wasn't thrilled with it when I first heard about, then saw it. Admittedly I can sort of understand the reasoning as to why they did it sure it's contrived but it's less contrived than say changing the song at Jabba's. Also as much as I love the OOT, even as a kid I felt Shaw was a bit too old looking, like rivaling Kenobi in age (who I thought was older than what's now canon), however he did have that warm look to him and his smile looked genuine...as apposed to Hayden. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and figure it was only done in one or two takes in Lucas' good enough style of human directing but Hayden looks more like he's smirking.

Another moment on the emotional scale for me is Luke and Vader's talk on Endor. Luke's final words "Then my father is truly dead" hits me every time.

20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I don't cry at movies (well, rarely), but I'd have to say that the endings of ROTJ and ROTS are seriously moving. I love Obi-Wan's whole dialogue.

"You were the Chosen One! You were supposed to defeat the Sith, not join them! Bring balance to the galaxy, not leave it in darkness!"

The way McGregor delivers the line is just so emotionally impacting; he got so beyond into his role there. He went above and beyond and I daresay it was the best performance in the entire PT.

Likewise, I get chills whenever I watch Vader glance between Luke...and then Palpatine...and then the dramatic music plays and he resolutely moves forward and picks up his Master, throwing him to his doom, and sacrificing himself to save his son. It is for this reason; the emotional movement of the scene; that I refuse to see the BluRay version with the "NOOOO!" added in. I know the complete OT is being released again on BluRay later this year, and I seriously hope they edit that part out, because I hate it with a passion. If it is still in there in the new version, I refuse to buy it.

21. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Watching 3PO look around for a reaction when Luke radios through that R2s been hit always makes me feel abit sad....Anthony Daniels does a fantastic job of expressing sadness just through body language.

Also when that one Ewok stops to pull his friend up only to discover hes dead has to be the sadess scene in any of the 6 films....when I saw that in the cinema as a kid I was truely gutted for the entire rest of Jedi, but hey my hearts not made of stone haha

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  22. PTRULES

PTRULES Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2013
    Padme losing the will the live was heartbreaking. For you OT fans who thought you knew it all that she would die very young, you underestimated Master Lucas and his storytelling!

23. Tala Que

Tala Que Jedi Knight

Mar 15, 2013
    When Anakin becomes Darth Vader and when Padme dies.... :'(

But my favorite scene is when Yoda brings Luke's X-Wing out of the swamp. I get goose bumps every time I watch that scene (which is pretty often ;))

24. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Cynical & jaded as I've become over the years, that scene still does it for me, too.
    And it's topped off with some of the best pop philosophy the SW Saga has to offer:

LUKE: I... I don't believe it!

YODA: That is why you fail.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  25. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013

For Darth_Nub...

For our kind and gracious Moderator...how can we help reawaken and rekindle the innocence from your days of youth? :D

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.