main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oregon Which school/college do you go to? Let's see if we can find any matches...

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Nailbiter, Aug 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    Let's see...this should be interesting.

Last year I went to Westview. Next year I'm going to Jesuit.

2. Raiden

Raiden Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2002
    I go to pcc, because I'm like too busy to go to a real college.

3. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I am a 2001 Jesuit High School graduate :)

Westview is very close to me, but I have never attended public school of any kind.

Next year I'm going to Oregon State University, though, so there is my first public school ;) I went to LMU for a semester, hated it, quit early, and now I'm saving my trust fund a lot of money by not wasting it on college.

College is not worth $30,000 a year, plain and simple. That's just ridiculous. I could succeed without college whatsoever, just doing what I am doing, and not having a degree would not hold me back from anything I want to do. I'm not interested in working for other people, so do I care if I have a degree? That's the question, not does an employer, because I sure as to hell won't work for anyone else unless I really feel like doing it. Otherwise, I'll run my own businesses, write my books, and get into independent filmmaking and be plenty happy as a freelancer and self-employed entreprenuer.

College, to me, is worth the time and about $4,000 a year. That is fair. A degree could be helpful if I ever changed my mind and it's a nice thing to have, without a doubt, but real knowledge cannot be learned from books, only from experience. Some people obviously have to learn that the hard way. I hate it when people think that you become a journalist by writing for your school paper and then taking journalism and writing classes in college. Uhh, yeah you could do that, if you like thinking inside of the box and are not intelligent enough to figure out the real way to do anything, sure. The truth is, if you want to be a great writer, you write, and you do it professionally. I never, ever wrote a free article for publication. My very first assignment was $50 for 500 words about movies, and that was about $20 an hour. I've taken as low as $5 an hour because writing about movies is fun, so it wasn't about the money, but for free? Hehe, no I think not.

The same goes with business in my opinion. I run my own businesses and I learned how to do that myself, I didn't read a single book. I made mistakes, I learned from my mistakes, I talked to other people who are doing the same things, and that's how you really learn. College is far too hands-off for me. Anyone who wants to sit around for four years and do nothing but study is not very motivated in my opinion. They may have perfect grades, but that doesn't impress me. I'm only impressed by people who realize that college is only a tiny part of learning; the real education begins when you go into the real world to work for yourself.

Getting "A's" lost its thrill as soon as I started doing important work, i.e. not busy work for teachers. ;)

Nonetheless, I carry my 3.85 GPA into OSU and I had a 3.849 in high school. I'm consistent, at least, haha.

4. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jul 22, 2000
    Would you happen to know Wasel from Jesuit? He's quite a celebrity there I hear. :)

5. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Haha, sure I know him. He was in a few of my classes. Why is he a celebrity? LOL, I didn't know that.

6. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jul 22, 2000
    No its just that people alot of people (including non-Jesuits) know Wasel. It's odd, really...

7. ImperialJedi

ImperialJedi Jedi Master star 3

Sep 23, 2001
    Umm...let's see I go to Dallas High School in Dallas, OR. wow, imagine that (Note sarcastic tone). We have three elementary, one middle, and one high school.

8. MasterVodoBass

MasterVodoBass Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2002
    Clark College....

9. RylaRainGirl

RylaRainGirl Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2002
    I'll be starting my Sophomore year at portland state this fall. Majoring in English with a minor in Theater.

10. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jul 22, 2000
    Oh cool, my dad teaches there. Finance, though. Did you go to high school around here?

11. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    My dad graduated from PSU. He went to U of O for a while, but transferred, even though he really liked U of O, it was a money issue I think.

He was going to be a dentist, hehe, but then he got kicked out of dental school, luckily. So he went into real estate and made his first few million at age 32, haha. Dentist, bah... glad that didn't work out! :)

12. Darth-Raze

Darth-Raze Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2002
    Sup yall? Newbie to the PDX fanforce here. I go to Willamette University in Salem, but I'm originally from Los Angeles. Just wanted to say sup to all my fellow Star Wars fans. And if anyone wants to chat, my AIM screenname is:

xXxDarth RazexXx

Latez yall and may the force be with you!

13. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Welcome, Darth Raze :)

14. jimsidious

jimsidious Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2002
    I go to Chemekita comm.I'm in an apprenticeship becoming an electrician.Hey imperialjedi you go to Dallas high??do you know Nick or Chris Evans???I used to work for their dad.I wired up the new apts.behind the McD's on the main drag their.If you know them tell them the star wars freak that worked for their dad says hi LOL,trust me they'll know who your talkin about,and they like SW too

15. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jul 22, 2000
    Hey Bowen, something wierd just happened. So I'm sitting here at the school library cruising TFN when this kid comes and sits next to me and starts writing a report or something on bacteria or something. I look at his book and on the side it says BOWEN. Bowen I think...where have I heard that name before? Then I remember you and the fact that you went to Jesuit! So yeah, I just saw what seems to be your Bio book.

16. Larena_Jade

Larena_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2002
    Yeah,i'm the youngest here,like always!
    I'm not even putting down my high school cause non of you have pobably heard of it!

17. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Haha, whoa that is weird, my Bio book in circulation again. I forgot what I did with that, I know I kept some of my books, but I guess I must have resold that one or something.

I might have to take a stupid Bio class here at college to fulfill part of my science requirements, but I'm really hoping that I can find some better class to take. Then again, I hear this basic Bio class is super easy, so I may just take it.

18. Kyp_side_of_TheForce

Kyp_side_of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I go to Grant HS. I bet I am the only Grant kid here... Grant doesn't strike me as SW fan friendly...

19. Larena_Jade

Larena_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2002
    Well I'm shure it's friendlier than Cascade on the SW subject!Every time I walk by people start humming the tune to SW or the Imperial March,they think SW is stupid and HP(Harry Potter)is cool!Ofcourse,i go to a hick school so that's all you need to know!

20. Bromly_Falco

Bromly_Falco Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2002
    Western Oregon University in Monmouth, Oregon. Before that, Central High School in Independence. Though Monmouth & Independence have basically grown into just one town... That's about 20 miles out of Salem.

21. jedi1701a

jedi1701a Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2002
    glencoe in hillsboro 10 years ago

22. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I know a girl at Western Oregon, Kelly M-something rather, I can't spell her last name.

23. Bromly_Falco

Bromly_Falco Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2002
    Can't think of any Kelly M's that I know, but I don't know many people at WOU... I'll keep an eye out though.

24. Angel5000

Angel5000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    The HS I go to is so small none of you would probably even know where it is. :p LoL

I almost went to Astoria High School but instead I went to Warrenton. I'm a Senior this year and will be going to Eastern Oregon University next year. If I can come up with the money.

*crosses fingers*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.