main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which seemingly dead franchises do you want to see continued?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Vader_vs_Maul, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Before starting this thread, I did a search to see if there are any existing similar ones, and I found this one from seven (!) years ago. It's funny seeing how many of the franchises that people wanted continued from that thread actually did wind up getting remakes, sequels and whatnot. That was also partly the reason why I didn't opt to reopen that one.

Anyway, I would like to see continuations of the Shenmue, The Getaway and Star Wars Battlefront series.

2. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Colony Wars! Please oh please? With sugar on top? I loved those games on the PS1 and I would buy a PS3 in an instant if I could get a new Colony Wars game.

3. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Freespace

Please finish off the Shivan conflict

4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    X-Wing/Tie-Fighter.

Yeah, this is as probable as hell freezing over but, hey, can't an old timer dream a little?

Force Smuggler and TheRascalKing like this.
  5. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Three replies so far and all of them space sims. Would have thought someone would have noticed the appetite for a new one, wouldn't you?

6. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I'll add another one to that: Starlancer/Freelancer.

7. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Problem is, I think the studios (maybe the industry in general) considers the genre utterly dead. I wouldn't be surpised at all if your average studio head would say out loud in an interview "Dude, fuhgeddabout it. Space sims are so 1990s". What, and shooters aren't? You don't see that particular genre slowing down a bit, do you? I also think part of the problem with the genre is the heavy focus of developers on consoles, and hardcore flight sims (or even combat flight seems) don't lend themselves well to the limited control scheme your average gamepad offers. You also don't see too many first or third party developers making elaborate joysticks for consoles. So, if it isn't marketable for the console crowd (Ace Combat doesn't count since it can't be considered a hardcore flight sim), developers won't do a thing to revive the genre.

8. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    Republic Commando.

BDOT likes this.
  9. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Maybe some game development studio or indie developers should do a Kickstarter for a flight sim/space sim. It seems to me that it, too, is one of those genres that is considered less popular than it actually is.

10. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Brutal Legend. DECAPITATIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNN!!!!

...Stop looking at me like I'm nuts.

:p

11. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Killer Instinct

12. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Jedi Knight- I want me some more Katarn!

Also, Dark Cloud.

13. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Soldier of Fortune.

The first was an amazing game, the second was still great but not quite as good, and I like the third because it was an SoF game but the ending annoyed me because it was left open to a sequel. I have questions and I want answers to them. :(

14. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Kingdom Hearts. [face_plain]

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    SW Bounty Hunter. Jango was fun but I still want to play as Boba Fett.

BDOT likes this.
  16. ForceJumpAnakin

ForceJumpAnakin Force Ghost star 4

Dec 24, 2006
    I'm on the fence about Battlefront. With the way the second one went, I have a feeling it would only get worse. If a third one gets made, they should follow the K-I-S-S system: Keep It Simple Stupid.

I'd like another Batman Vengeance game, not that rise of the tin zu nonsense. The greatest thing in Vengeance is it had the ultimate cheat codes: Invincibility, Invisibility, Infinite Ammo. Very few games employ this for some reason. Having those codes would increase replay value IMO.

I think fighting games in general should be improved, they're all dead to me. I did catch the latest Marvel vs Capcom but I got tired of getting seizures every few seconds.

17. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Dark Cloud.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  18. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Mortal Kombat? Plus Street Fighter x Tekken doesn't look as seizure inducing as MvC3.

19. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    The new Mortal Kombats have been awesome

20. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

Left 4 Dead. I know that Valve doesn't make a third game for anything, but Left 4 Dead 3. I'm replaying the original right now, and damn has it held up well.

I'd also settle for an epic TV show. The opening credits for each episode would occur while the Survivors were in a safe house, and the camera would slowly pan around the graffiti on the walls.

"Allison, I'm hiding from zombies, and your poem is the worst thing that's happened to me today."
    "Im happier now I can kill ANYBODY i like."
    "better safe than sorry better safe than sorry better safe than sorry better safe than sorry better safe than sorry better safe than sorry"

21. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    No. Valve better not DARE make another L4D until they revive their flagship and oh so very dead flagship franchise: Half-life.

22. Shepherd492

Shepherd492 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2011
    Empire Earth...Sure, EE3 was horrible, but the other two are amazing games. The campaigns were so cool, even if they had terrible voice acting.

Rise of Nations...A graphics/gameplay update would be awesome, along with a few new campaigns similar to those seen in the expansion pack

Rogue Squadron...These were pretty fun back in the day, and SW went from having tons of space sims (X wing tie fighter starfighter jedi starfighter rogue squadron rebel assault (lol) to none for several years now.

23. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    That game was awful. It would be even worse if it was Boba instead of Jango.
    anyway, Earthworm Jim, The Warriors, Mortal Kombat shaolin monks type games, Shenmu...

24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'll beg to differ then. I had a blast with it even though some of the levels really tried my patience.

25. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    SW Bounty Hunter and The Clone Wars game from that time was fun. I can see Boba having a different style to Jango given that their choice of weapons are different.

We need another Rogue Squadron and X-Wing/TIE Fighter title or at least something in the spirit of those series... A Clone Wars take on it could be great.

I love to see a proper Jurassic Park/Indiana Jones title.