main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Which side do you support in the Clone Wars?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Separatist101, Jun 15, 2014.

?

Which side do you support in the Clone Wars

1. Galactic Republic

35 vote(s)
    60.3%
  2. Confederacy of Independent Systems

23 vote(s)
    39.7%
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It may be that it's easier to despise the Kaminoans for manufacturing clones, than the Geonosians for manufacturing droids.

Vialco likes this.
  2. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    I didn't side with either simply because I didn't really care all that much about that part of the story,

I was more interested in the relationships between the characters than I was about a bunch of planets wanting to leave, and then declaring war...

to be honest I wanted to know more about Jedi and Sith differences.

Thuro likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't despise the Kaminoans or the Geonosians.

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The AOTC novelization plays up the sheer callousness of the Kaminoans somewhat.

5. Jesse Booth

Jesse Booth Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2014
    Who said anything about hating the Kaminoans? Or the Geonosians for that matter?

6. Brady2121

Brady2121 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2014
    What's the difference? Both sides were corrupt. I agree with a lot of other people on here. PT was pretty much Palpatine vs. Palpatine. Both sides had noble intentions, but they were totally in the dark when it came to what was really happening.....:oops:

7. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Jesse Booth & thejeditraitor apologies for snarkyness. It was a bit uncalled for.:oops:

Anyway, glad to see the Republic's winning this one.[face_party] It's gonna take a lot to convince the CIS were the worthier cause.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  8. Jesse Booth

Jun 8, 2014
    Don't apologize. It was funny. And it's what I would have done.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  9. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

During the last financial crisis, a lot of business leaders were very competent, in that they exploited the system for their own gain at the expense of the greater society, and then cashed out before the **** hit the fan so they didn't lose anything. They were very smart, very skillful, and very good at their chosen profession. They were also borderline sociopaths.

I wouldn't want people like that in charge of my government. But those are exactly the kinds of people who were running the Confederacy.

Given the nature of the thread topic, that seems unavoidable. Star Wars is an allegory for real world political situations. We can't have a Star Wars political discussion without drawing analogies to our world.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's not "unavoidable." There are plenty of people who watch Star Wars who have no interest whatsoever in politics. Or they are like me and take an interest in it only when it affects them directly, and I don't really give a **** who builds clones or droids, as I am only affected based on how well I am entertained.

But suit yourself.

Thuro likes this.
  11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    The Jedi Order

12. Jesse Booth

Jun 8, 2014
    If the Republic is so much better than the Separatists, then how come peeka chaka no wookiee boonawa tweepie Solo? ho ho hoooo

[​IMG]

Republic: 0
    Separatists: 0
    Jabba: 1

13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    To me it isn't any better, that's why I voted CIS. The Republic was clearly corrupt. I think those that left were correct.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't vote.

thejeditraitor and CT-867-5309 like this.
  15. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    I supported the Republic. The CIS was not about fixing the Republic. It was created by the big business of Star Wars in order to help themselves, and not help the people. Dooku used greed (which is a powerful ally), to lure the Trade Fed, Banking Clan, etc etc to go head to head with the Republic. Look at who was at the table in AOTC, the Trade Federation, Banking Clan, Techon Union, Commerce Guild and Geonosis Foundrys to name a few. It was also no mistake that Dooku targeted the mega-corps to one side. They were the only ones that Palpatine felt could openly oppose him in his future Empire, as they had the most capital and resources. So getting them out of the way as part of his plan to create the Empire was very important. Once they were gone, he had control of the galaxies resources and economy.

If you wanted to use a real world example, it would be like saying your upset with the U.S. Government because it's being controlled by big business, and then supporting an opposition party that is created by Halliburton and BP Oil.

The Republic as corrupt as it was, was still a structure that could be possibly be fixed whereas if the CIS were in power, the Mega Corps would openly rule the senate instead of using bureaucrats to operate behind the scenes.

16. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I think people assume too much. Not everyone in CIS was of wrong intents and I don't think Dooku was at heart, either. To each their own. The Republic isn't near as noble as most act either.

Jesse Booth likes this.
  17. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

I'm sure a lot of the underlings of the CIS probably thought they were fighting a noble and righteous cause as they were prob not told of the doings of the Separatist Council and their secret agenda. We the audience are fully aware of what the leaders of the CIS are up to.

As for Dooku, he was a liar, implicit in the murder of innocents, a war monger, among others. His heart was aligned with seizing power, not restoring it back to the people.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I am not changing my view, Sir. Clearly you don't support the CIS and that's fine. Good day.

19. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

Not trying to change your mind, just continuing the discussion is all.

El_Machete12 likes this.
  20. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I probably would have supported the CIS if it were not for its leaders, which included Count Dooku, General Grievious and the Trade Federation. But I guess I would be inable to go as far as Padme did, who eventually expressed more support toward the Separatists before the war ended.

Iron_lord and CT-867-5309 like this.
  21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, any sympathy for the CIS is just crushed by its leaders and their agenda.

If the Separatist movement was actually led by Senators like Padme, Bail and Mon Mothma (the principled Senators that actually have a legit reason to be outraged and rebellious, but are still loyal to the Republic out of tradition and respect for diplomacy and democracy, ie the Republic and what it is supposed to represent) and backed by the Jedi, I'm pretty sure they'd get tons of support, they'd pretty much just be the Rebellion from the OT.

22. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    My theory is that, with the plutocratic leadership slaughtered by Vader, the ordinary people of the CIS who were in it out of political frustration rather than greed, DID indeed BECOME the Rebellion we see in the OT. If they were a legitimate (in the democratic sense) opposition to the Empire which the Republic became, they must have had more popular support than what Bail, Mon Mothma and co could drum up, especially when it became dangerous for the Senators to openly oppose Palpatine.

23. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Pre Vizlsa's Death Watch.

24. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

The thread is about which governmental entity in a civil war is more worthy of support. That's an inherently political question, even if it's in a fictional capacity.

There is literally no way for anyone to make on-topic posts without introducing their political stances into the equation.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    One of the most common reasons cited for disliking the Republic is "they willingly use a slave army".

And it was the Kaminoans that created this slave army and sold the army to the Republic.