main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Which side do you support in the Clone Wars?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Separatist101, Jun 15, 2014.

?

Which side do you support in the Clone Wars

1. Galactic Republic

35 vote(s)
    60.3%
  2. Confederacy of Independent Systems

23 vote(s)
    39.7%
  1. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Oh I'm a huge fan of the PT Jedi, probably more so than you are. And that's why I think "which side do you support in the Clone Wars" is a false dichotomy. Because their involvement destroyed them both physically and (more tragically) spiritually. I absolutely agree they did much more good than harm, but I'm not sure fighting that *particular* war (I don't want to get into the issue of whether warfare is ever justified) was doing so. There was inefficiency and outright corruption on one side and ruthless greed on the other, and heroic true believers on both sides, and yet the brutality and sacrifice was all for nothing...I think that's a pretty good portrayal of any civil war, really.

I'm no fan of the Sith, but I do find Dooku a fascinating and sympathetic character (based on what we see onscreen, I haven't read any Clone Wars EU or seen the cartoons). And I don't think that "destroy the Sith" was completely a lie. I think Sithhood was a tool for him, not something he was committed to in itself. He seemed to have some genuine feeling when he mentioned Qui-Gon; I can't see him being truly loyal to Sidious. Yes, he was using Qui-Gon's name to try and sway Obi-Wan, but to me that indicated that he truly believed in the rightness and importance of his *ideals* (not necessarily the means). In fact, I think that was his problem, and what led him to where he ended up: he had started to subordinate everything, including his principles and his personal relationships, to his ideals (as my earlier post hinted at), such that nothing was sacred to him any longer.

I have lots more thoughts about why Dooku and his role in the PT are interesting, but I don't want to derail this thread; so I'll just say Sidious manipulated his idealism as much as he did the Jedi Order's loyalty to the Republic. Thus the war.

whostheBossk and Iron_lord like this.
  2. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    There's some good conversation going on in the last couple pages of the thread:

Was Darth Maul really Necessary?

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/was-darth-maul-really-necessary.50018367/

3. Darth Cyn

Darth Cyn Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 8, 2014
    Except for the part where Sidious made a sucker out of him?

4. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    Republic at least they help other planets like givd supplies and stuff.

jbyrd1245 and Master Jordan like this.
  5. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I have questions, it seem dooku knew Palpatine and Sidious were the same person, what was the end goal for Dooku? After the war was started and progressed, what was Dooku trying benefit. Was the CIS trying to stay independent? Or were they trying to take the Republic over? Obi wan discovered both Armies, but the droid army never attacked any systems. The Jedi came in first with the rescue attempt. So again i ask what were the demands that the CIS had that would benefit Dooku in the long run?

6. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I support Darth Sidious in his grand plan to remove the corrupt and stagnant Jedi Order from power and to reorganize the failing Republic into an efficient Empire.

7. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Anyone have a take on this?

8. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Dooku was to become an enforcer and Palpatine's right hand man. He would have been the same thing Vader was.

9. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    You mean in a unified Republic after the Clone War?

10. Drewdude91

May 21, 2011

No, I mean in Palpatine's Empire. He's in on it and he knows exactly what the plan is, minus the part about him dying. If you replace Vader with Dooku, that's what Dooku wanted after the war.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    However, the common people would know about the commerce guilds being the backbone of the CIS, which means that the CIS was being controlled by the same people who had already done the most to corrupt the Republic. Meet the new boss - he IS the old boss.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    The Clones are where it's at.

13. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    With the Sith controlling both sides, it's hard to support either side. If I was a citizen of the galaxy that didn't know that, i'd probably pick the republic. Better the devil you know than the one you don't.

14. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    And you got all that just from episode 2 n 3? Good perception.

15. Drewdude91

May 21, 2011

No, I'm going off of Clone Wars as well. After all, it IS canon.

whostheBossk likes this.
  16. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Mod Note: Title of this thread seems to imply the Clone Wars are still going on, i.e. "Which side DO you Support." I am wondering if a title edit is appropriate. :p

Commander Krix likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I would rather like the republic but they are both corrupt and run by one person so they were not all good on onside and evil on the other they were both bad choices at the time.

18. Commander Krix

Commander Krix Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I'd prefer the Republic, but overall. I feel like the Confederacy was a bit more organized. The Republic slowly fell apart, while the Confederacy was just halted. The production of droids came to a halt, due to economic changes throughout the Galaxy, and eventually the CIS was going bankrupt. Same thing could be said for the Republic. The clones began to get to expensive to be "disposable." I voted CIS. Just felt like they were more equipped and had better economics compared to the Republic. Feel free to prove me wrong, because I may be. :p

CoolyFett likes this.
  19. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    both sides were manipulated by the same villains. Hard to favor one over the other. Outcome was preordained. Although i'm not aware of any 'heroes' on the CIS

20. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I really see no heroes on either side. They are too alike. I still think the idea of breaking from a corrupt Republic is more sound though.

21. beedubaya

beedubaya Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 15, 2014
    I support democracy. I support the Senate and the Republic. All hail Chancellor Palpatine.

22. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    You mean who I'd support without omniscient knowledge of the past, future, and present? CIS. A corrupt republic too tangled in bureaucracy and indifference to enforce its own laws regarding warfare and slavery, backed and seemingly manipulated by an exclusive order of condescending monks holding mysterious power no one should be trusted with, all while being suspiciously accepting of a clone army they supposedly had no prior knowledge of? Sign me up, Dooku. Granted, most civilians and low ranking military personal supporting the seps were unaware of the corporate greed, sith plots, and genocidal massacres being committed. In short, I would go CIS only if I was as obvious to the real situation as would be expected of an ordinary citizen.

23. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Yeah, well, how many Americans are clamoring to go to a different system/country/start a real rebellion because of the perception (real or not is not the point) because of government bureaucracy, political quagmires and inability to actually work together to minimize/solve problems?

Apathy and slogan-mouthing is about all one really sees though it seems many are disgusted (from each side, interestingly enough).

24. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    In other words, "The Republic cannot be fixed, m'lady. It is time to start over."- Dooku

25. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I dont know much about canons and canons. Dont really care. I like the George Lucas movies and one of Filonis tv shows. I dont view them together, just Star Wars tales. Leave me out of that canon vs canon stuff.