main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which Spaceship is your favorite??

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Lt_Damien77, Jun 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMChladek

JMChladek Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2001
    Speaking strictly about what has been seen in the movies, my all time favorite ship is the Y-Wing. The first time I saw that ship when I was 6 years old watching the first theatrical release of Star Wars, I knew immediately it was a fighting ship. Lets see, two big engines, two laser guns up front and a top mounted turret (fixed foreward firing unfortunately) gave it a look of "this means business."

Yes, I also like watching that trench sequence from ANH as well, even though I know it means Y-Wing slaughter at the end. Hearing the confident banter of Dutch, Tyree and Pops with laser fire all around them seems somehow soothing. (okay, enough with the gratuitous fanboy moment here). ;)

The X-Wing is a close second, and admittedly I have collected more X-Wing models and toys then Y-Wings simply because there are more X-Wing items out there. But I do try to collect models of the Y-Wing whenever possible.

The only thing I don't like about the X-Wing is its gun spacing. When playing the X-Wing games, you could only hit a TIE with two lasers in a four shot volley at most (unless the TIE did something really stupid) and I would typically only hit with one shot. I was always able to kill TIEs faster with a Y-Wing due to its close laser gun spread. It was one blast and bye bye TIE. And the ION cannons made killing capital ships relatively easy. X-Wing Alliance added to the carnage by allowing you to link fire the ion cannons with the lasers for serious stopping power. Admittedly, the X-Wing does have sleeker looks then the Y-Wing, but a Y-Wing just looks perfect for what it is.

The A-Wing is also nice because it is a rocket ship, but lacks the ability to take a lot of punishment like the Y-Wing and X-Wing can (I did ram a TIE bomber successfully with it once though when my guns and missles weren't working though). You stop moving in an A-Wing, you're dead meat (fun taking out a Star Destroyer in an A-Wing though). The B-Wing is a battle tank, but that ion cannon on the edge of the wing foil is next to useless against most anything except a fat capital ship.

Now, expanding this to OT EU, then my favorite EU ship is the early design Cygnus Spaceworks Missile Boat (Y-Wing still overall favorite). This would be the ship as it appeared in the early TIE Fighter games with a cockpit so cramped that they put the shield and beam weapon indicators in external pods outside the cockpit, in what look like rear-view mirror housings.

Lets see, give it 20 advanced concussion missiles, ten heavy rockets, a tractor beam and a SLAM drive and you can eat TIE Defenders for breakfast. And if you have to get out of a fight very quickly, just move all the recharge rates back into the engines (including the beam weapon), dump remaining shield energy into the laser to keep it charged and engage the SLAM drive for a nice leasurely cruise at about 500 MGLT. Try it in the training maze for a really intense experience. :D

2. Majin_Vader

Majin_Vader Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2003
    slave 1 all da way b/c its boba fetts sure he may have gone to a bad end but that armor
    is phad

3. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    3 Words:Imperial Star Destroyer

4. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    The Y-wing is my favorite ship followed by the Tie Bomber. The Y-wing just looks so cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.