Arena Which sport has the greatest athletes?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by -JediJordan-, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_gersh Force Ghost

star 6
    The whole breathing when in water gets underrated.
  2. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6

My money is on hockey, for speed, endurance, precision, and toughness. I think that the only sports that have hockey beat for toughness are MMA and boxing, I think that only basketball and tennis compare in terms of speed, golf and tennis compare in terms of precision, and in terms of endurance only football (the real sport, not the American sport) and specific endurance sports like the marathon have hockey matched or beaten.
  3. KenKenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    Track?

Track?

I'm glad you brought up MMA, I'd absolutely put those guys in the conversation depending on what we mean by "greatest athlete."
  4. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Fair point in the speed needed for track, but I did mention specific endurance sports like the marathon - I'd put the 5k, 10k races, triathlons, and the like into that grouping. Nothing against track, but while the speed requirements are high, the requirements are also extremely focused.

5. Krusty_the_Clone Jedi Master

star 4
    Figure skating or curling
  6. New_York_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    In terms of the major team based sports, I'd say the best athletes in the NBA are absolute freaks in terms of blend of size, quickness, speed and strength, as well as the skill set involved with dribbling/passing/shooting.

In general, the best all around athletes are probably something like gymnasts or decathletes.
  7. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
  8. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
  9. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    [image=http://www.scifiupdates.com/main/images/stories/tv_series/battlestar_galactica/1978/photos/bsg_1978_triad.jpg]
  10. FatFrank Jedi Knight

star 3
    Has to be soccer. Everyone knows that a Canadian soccer player named Brian Budd won World Superstars 3 years in a row in the late 1970s before being unjustly banned from competing (the 'Budd rule').
  11. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    The first thought to pop in my head was Water Polo. I'm sticking with that.
  12. Krusty_the_Clone Jedi Master

star 4
  13. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    I just noticed this...curious why you say football. I'd put rugby union and Australian rules football (at least until the tactical changes of the last few years) up against that in terms of endurance.
  14. FatFrank Jedi Knight

star 3
    World's Strongest Man competition!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.