main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which Star Wars death do you find the most emotional?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by SatineNaberrie, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jo B1 Kenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jul 3, 2014
    The destruction of Alderaan and Leia's attempts to stop it and reaction when she can't stop it.

The order 66 sequence was also very emotional for me too, especially the Ki-Adi Mundi death.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Qui-Gon Jinn's. The death constituted the Saga's fork-in-the-road, wherein the only character who would have shielded Anakin from Palpatine's influence was eliminated. At certain historical junctures, one will find that the extinguishing of a singular, vitalizing light can make all the difference (e.g., Lincoln, FDR, Martin Luther King, Robert Kennedy...to name four American exemplars).

Of course, it helps that Jinn is my favorite SW character.

Mojo120, Cryogenic and Bacon164 like this.
  3. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Which Star Wars death do you find the most emotional?
    It's a serious tie between Yoda in ROTJ, and Vader/Anakin's in ROTJ.

Yoda, although living a long and happy life, has to leave before the force is brought back to balance and he never gets to see the Jedi return, so to speak. He passes on leaving alot unfinished, even if it is Luke's job to complete it. Plus, there's that feeling that Luke is now completely alone to face this task. It has the feeling of losing a parent, where in, even when it's there time you never truly are ready for them to go.

Where Anakin's death has more of a happy feeling to it, a beauty. He got to somewhat make right all the wrong he has comitted in the galaxy. And you can genuinely feel that he loves his son and is proud of him for being the Jedi, and man, he could never be. Also, the whole, "tell your sister, you were right" is just heartbreaking, because if he knows the other Skywalker is Leia, he must feel like a total d*** right about then.

Sarge likes this.
  4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I certainly don't find Greedo's death emotional. Lol.

5. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    What's funny is Wuher the bartender pointing in amidst all the lasers being fired. Lol.

6. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Anakins death in ROTJ. When Luke does that fire ceremony on Anakin comes to mind especially with John Williams music with it.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Padmé's death.

Not necessarily because of her death on its own, but because it is the very real manification that the book is closed for good (well, at least for a long time). There won't be some magical movie twist that turns the whole dilemma into a happy end. Democracy is gone, Anakin is an evil machine, the Jedi Order is destroyed. There is no going back, the bad guys have won. When she speaks her last words "There is good in him." and the movie subsequently cuts to Vader rising I can't help but think of and remember that little boy from Tatooine who knew "nothing of greed".

Of course it helps that the PT is my favourite era and that era ends here, so that's definitely my choice.

I'm normally not someone who links to videos a lot, but that one is truly great and captures it wonderfully:

Seagoat likes this.
  8. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Boba Fett's. Never before have I laughed so hard!

9. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I LOVE that video. And I agree, Padme's death is easily the most emotional of the series. It gets to me everytime. I'd rank Anakin's death as second and Shmi's as third.

10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yoda's death still sticks out, as when I was a kid growing up with the OT this was the one and probably only scene I found difficult to watch. Obi-Wan biting it didn't bother me, Han being frozen was no biggie, even all the Luke/Vader stuff didn't really affect me on any true emotional level. Yoda, though, that really got to me, probably because it occurred outside of the action in such a quietly real manner.

Also noteworthy are the lone Ewok we see dying and Order 66--the former for the manner it personalizes the plight of the background troops, and the latter for just ticking all filmmaking boxes at once, from the amazing score to probably the best performance I've seen of a non-human character when Yoda reacts to the unfolding tragedy.

11. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Vader's sacrifice and death, until the 2011 Blu-Ray ruined it for me. Otherwise Yoda.

12. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Though I find Order 66 quite moving for the grand/epic sweep of its tragedy, I have to go with Anakin's death, because of...

^this,
    ^this,
    ^this,
    ^this,

and this:

"Just for once...let me...look on you...with my own eyes." (love the little pauses in this line and the subtle vocal emphasis JEJ gives to the word "own"...)

In addition to Order 66, my other "honorable mentions" go to:

--Padme's funeral scene (more so than her actual death) for the reasons SatineNaberrie mentioned above, plus the visual aesthetics of that scene (Padme's beautiful costume and hair and their visual allusions to Ophelia's death in Hamlet) and the shot showing the japor snippet hanging from her hand:( ...

--Shmi's death (for the way Pernilla August delivers the line "now, I am complete..."...her mother's love just shines through there:_| !)

13. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    From the complete saga, id have to say Yoda's was always the sadest death. Its the music in that scene and Lukes reaction. Padme has the saddest funeral though. I think in the saga about 16 main characters die between episodes 1-6. Yodas and Shmi the one where I feel sad watching it.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  14. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Yoda's death got me as a kid, and this was partially due to the music. Shmi's death is very sad, as well.

15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Qui-Gon.

16. shafty

shafty Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    Han Solo after being frozen in carbonite!

(Snicker)

17. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Yoda's gets to me the most.

At least Anakin got to make amends with himself and his son, but Yoda was the head honcho of the Jedi Order and dies on some backwater planet with only a naive farm boy there to witness.

Lanoree likes this.
  18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Mace Windu's

Empress Shatterpoint likes this.
  19. Lanoree

Lanoree Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2015
    Anakin/Vader. I get chocked up every time I watch it. his son was right. he was redeemable after all.

Qui Gon's and Yoda's were emotional for me too. I really believe that had Qui Gon survived he would have been the appropriate mentor for Anakin and maybe Anakin wouldn't have turned to the dark side. Qui Gon was something of a rebel in the jedi order but in a good way. I think he understood Anakin and would have listened to him and taught him well, unlike the others.

20. burngis12

burngis12 Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2015
    It's not really so much a death for me..but when Anakin falls to the Dark Side. And, yes, I suppose all of the collateral deaths that happen because of that. But his betrayal and fall hits me so very hard. A part of him really did die. And after read Matthew Stover's Revenge of the Sith novelization it just hits even harder for me..man. Seeing him struggle so hard to hold it together and be betrayed by Palpatine and the inner turmoil he's having to go through in seeing visions of Padmé's death. Not to mention the fact that he's under so much stress what with the war, his secret marriage to Padmé, and being asked by his mentor and father figure to spy on his OTHER mentor and father figure. It just sucks.

Oh and then him killing the one he loves because he was so blinded by the lies he was fed by Palpatine and the dark side.

Sorry if this kinda broke the rules of the original question lol

21. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Nanta and the Jedi younglings, then Oola.

22. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I would have to say Obi-Wan's. I was only seven at the time but I thought it was the only death that had an emotional punch for me.

Hate to say it (being a SW nut), but Star Trek did the death thing better than Star Wars - Spock's death in Wrath of Khan. If (in the sequels), Han is going to die, I hope there is a scene with him and Luke that is memorable before goes.

23. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Shmi's and Anakin's.
    Shmi's death is easily the most emotional part of AOTC.
    Anakin's in ROTJ is bittersweet, he and Luke only just got each other back and he dies.

24. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Order 66 sequence. Especially after gaining familiarity with many of the masters and clones from TCW.

25. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    The rancor....that sad whimper as the life drains away from him and the poor rancor keeper rushing in to see the aftermath....brutal.

Force Smuggler likes this.