main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which Star Wars death do you find the most emotional?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by SatineNaberrie, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Mojo120

Mojo120 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2014
    I think Anakin's death is probably the most emotional scene in all the movies, though it's not the most tragic death scene and is in fact while it remains bittersweet is more of a happy moment than a sad one. For tragedy Id go with Qui-Gon's death I think. I really think with him mentoring Anakin things might of been different.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  2. mAT-AT Driver

mAT-AT Driver Jedi Padawan

Feb 20, 2015
    Yep, that one is sad. Also that one Ewok that gets killed at the final battle on Endor.

Oh and R5D4

cubman987 likes this.
  3. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    In a lot of ways, I think Shmi's is the most emotional -- the most raw.

We are shown it through Anakin's eyes, and it's quite heartbreaking, IMO.

Everything in his life has really built up to that moment: saying goodbye, for real, this time, to his beloved mom.

Frustrated dreams, doubts, anxieties, agonies. They all feed into and explode in this moment. It's a real turning-point for Anakin's character.

That's important. I feel the significance of it. And then I plain just like the way it's done. It's a pretty understated death scene, with Anakin's breathing in disarray (a subtle but hugely symbolic aural cue), with the young Jedi trying desperately to sound confident and assuring, and failing to finish that crucial sentence: "Everything will be alright." He knows it won't be. The catch in his voice is so sad. And it's those very words that Anakin is forever trying to say -- wants to say and really mean -- from this point on. So begins a new life. He endlessly rationalizes, endlessly tries to chase away the pain. Everything will be alright.

On a more technical note, if that's the right term, I think the cinematography and music are tremendously effective in this brief but critical passage. Via these elements, the film establishes an echo of sorts with Yoda's death -- as witnessed by the son -- in the final chapter in the Anakin Skywalker saga. Everything in Star Wars has a double or duplicate somewhere. The stitching is extremely precise, genuinely poetic; even poignant. Everything will be alright. Everything echoes.

Samnz, Ewok Poet and HevyDevy like this.
  4. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'd say Padme followed closely by Anakin.

5. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Anakin, Yoda, and Shmi's are my top three. It's not a death, but my wife cries every time we watch ROTS and Padme tells Anakin that he's breaking her heart. I feel bad for Padme in that scene but it's how deeply it touches my wife that gets to me more so than the scene itself. And the entire scene after Obi-Wan chops Anakin touches me some. I really feel for Obi-Wan there. Order 66 always gives me goosebumps as well.

6. jahyeshua

jahyeshua Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2015

" It's not a death, but my wife cries every time we watch ROTS and Padme tells Anakin that he's breaking her heart.'

That part get's me every time too and is the only scene in any SW's film that made me cry. Ben's death was shocking as a kid, Yoda's seemed too natural to be sad and I didn't care all that much about Vader's death.

7. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    It's a way three tie between Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Anakin.
    Second place goes to Padme.
    Third goes to Qui-Gon.

8. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I find the Father's death the most emotional. He's just so sad that his children are dead, but also hopeful that balance will be restored. The music in that scene is sublime as well.

9. Solent

Solent Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    Emotional goes for Anakin, finally pulling himself back and doing the right thing. His last minutes must have been horrible too, as he probably saw himself as Vader as he really was. To actually care about all the suffering he had caused, no wonder he was at peace with dying.

About importance, probably Qui-Gon Jinn. Things were very likely to have gone different had he been the one to rise and train Anakin. He´s the only PT Jedi who feels like old OB1.

Thoix Heoro and Sarge like this.
  10. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    One other reason both Yoda and Anakin's death scenes are so powerful is that, in both scenes, Mark Hamill does such a fine job portraying Luke's grief and sorrow.

Sarge likes this.
  11. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Vader because we've spent 6 films getting to know him and now he's gone

12. iluvkoalas

iluvkoalas Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    Well, if the rumored one happens in the next movie, that one will be the one.

13. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Vader
    Yoda
    Ben
    The rest.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I have to say Anakin or Gin.

15. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    Qui-Gon's in TPM....because it made my daughter cry.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  16. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

I have to agree.

17. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    Anakin's death is the saddest for me.
    I also think Order 66 is the saddest part in the saga. Plus It's really sad when Piett dies.

I've never really found Yoda's death all that sad. He lived to a nice old age of 900, and didn't have his life cut short like Qui-Gon or Padme or those younglings in Order 66.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  18. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Order 66 and Anakin.Oh and sheev.

19. RhysDave97

RhysDave97 Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2015
    Mine was storm trooper number 27 :_| Just kidding it was Padme ^:)^

20. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I wholeheartedly agree.

21. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jo B1 Kenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jul 3, 2014
    For me it's Shmi's death. She's clearly in so much pain and has endured a horrible amount of suffering but she's SO happy to see Anakin again so for her there is consolation and even some degree of joy (defined as different from happiness in that joy can appear in bad times too). For Anakin it's somthing he absolutely cannot take, he cannot accept it at all and so for him there is refusal to see what is happening, regret and then fury aimed at those who hurt her. Anakion's response seems to cloud things with this death scene but Shmi's way of being through it is beautiful and rends my heart.

mes520 likes this.