main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which Star Wars score is your favorite? *OFFICIAL THREAD*

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Orion_Jedi, Sep 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK421_DoUCopy

TK421_DoUCopy Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2002
    1. Han and Leia's Theme - ESB
    2. Binary Sunset - ANH
    3. Love Theme - AOTC
    4. Anakin's Theme - TPM
    5. Luke and Leia's Theme - ROTJ

2. TheWalkingCarpet

TheWalkingCarpet Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2002
    1. Love across the stars (ATOC theme)
    ATOC
    2. Imperial march (Vader's theme)
    ESB
    3. Han & Leia
    ESB
    4. Duel of the Fates (TPM theme)
    TPM
    5. Anakin's theme
    TPM

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    What's ATOC? :p

4. TheWalkingCarpet

TheWalkingCarpet Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2002
    My bad.....
    I guess I just had a blonde moment!
    :p

5. Seigiryu

Seigiryu Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 27, 2002
    1) ESB because it has not only the "Imperial March/Darth Vader's Theme" but also "Yoda's theme", "Han Solo and The Princess", and "Attacking the Star Destroyer", the most well rounded of all in my opinion.

2)TPM because it has "Duel of the Fates", an AWESOME song. Also many of the prequel set up music, including "Anakin's Theme" and also loved the "Gungan Celebration" music

3)AOTC because of "Across the Stars" and "Zam Weasells" theme, also the blending of the two trilogies

4)ROTJ because of all the end music (all themes from Luke vs. Vader) as well as the Endor Celebration, but most of all "Luke and Leis"

5)ANH. Not bad of course, but had to set up for what would later be awesome. The Force Theme and Award Ceremony are classics though.

6. Boba_Phat

Boba_Phat Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2000
    1 TESB
    2 ANH
    3 TPM
    4 ROTJ
    5 AOTC

7. slavegirl

slavegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    The scores for ANH and ESB are tied as my favourite, as they have such wonderful themes.

8. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    it's b/t across the stars or the chase through coruscant.

9. Kirney_Slane

Kirney_Slane Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    For some reason I just really love TPM's soundtrack more than the others. I guess my favorite tracks off it would be Queen Amidala and The Naboo Palace (so mysterious and stately) and Anakin Defeats Sebulba. The latter is one of my favorites because it's always played on the last lap of the Nintendo 64 Pod Racing video game...ahh, the happy hours I've wasted on that (but hey, I got really good at it!).

Favorite non-TPM tracks: Binary Sunset, the Imperial March, and The Dark Side Beckons (simply awesome!).

10. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    My favrotie tracks:

1. The Asteroid Field - ESB

2. Death of Yoda - ROJ

3. City in the Clouds - ESB

4. Duel of the Fates - TPM

5. The Tusken Camp - AOTC

6. Love Pledge and the Arena Battle - AOTC

7. Dark Side Beckons - ROJ

8. Jedi Master Revealed - ESB

9. Anakin and Padme - AOTC

10. Battle of Hoth - ESB

If I could only listen to one person's music for the rest of my life, it would be John Williams.

11. Aiwendil

Aiwendil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    1. RotJ. All the OT themes have already been introduced and here John Williams is free to really develop them. Highlights are the Emperor's arrival on the Death Star, Yoda's death, the Luke-Vader duel, and Vader's funeral pyre.

2. TPM. Great primarily because of Duel of the Fates. Unfortunately, parts of the soundtrack sound a little bland. Very different in some ways from the OT soundtracks; less brazen and more refined. Highlights are the invasion of Naboo, some of the Anakin-related material on Tatooine, Duel of the Fates (of course), and the Emperor's theme in Augie's Band.

3. ESB. A very cohesive score, strikingly well paced with the film. Fewer highlights than some of the others, but more consistently good. Highlights are Yoda and the Force, the Carbon Freeze Chamber, and Hyperspace.

4. ANH. More bold and innovative than any of the others. Less filler and more melody, in general. Fewer themes though (no Imperial March), and no high spots comparable to those in RotJ or TPM. Highlights are the Cantina Band, Binary Sunset, Battle of Yavin, and Throne Room.

5. AotC. Not bad - just not quite as good as the others. "Across the Stars" (what an inappropriate title) is excellent, among Williams's best themes. Much of the rest of it sounds a lot like the weaker sections of TPM, though - if "weak" can be used to describe something that's only marginally less than sublime, that is. Highlights are the Trade Federation theme in the cloning facility, the Force theme/DotF on Tatooine, and the Imperial March and love theme leading into the end credits.

12. _dArTh_SoLo

_dArTh_SoLo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    The Darkside Beckons basically sums up EVERYTHING that happened in SW, from Ep I to Ep 6 in one phrase....it's ingenius!!! that's why it's so powerful and I love it.

AOTC would be my favorite, when they release the UE. The confession music was my favorite, it was so chilling....

1)AOTC
    2)ROTJ
    3)ESB
    4)TPM
    5)ANH

13. Lady__Skywalker

Lady__Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 2002
    Across the Stars-AOTC
    Princess Leia's Theme-ANH

14. Princess_Ewok

Princess_Ewok Jedi Youngling

Oct 26, 2002
    ESB is my favorite score, but I love Across The Stars sooo much! [face_love] :D

15. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    1. Across the Stars Aotc
    2. Imperial March Esb
    3. Luke & Leia Theme Rotj
    4. Star Wars Main Theme
    5. Naboo Celebration TPM
    6. Dawn of Empire Theme Aotc

16. Grey

Grey Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 25, 2002
    My top 3 favorites are

Chasm Crossfire
    Tales of a Jedi Knight
    Binary Sunset

All From ANH

17. Kurt_8585

Kurt_8585 Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2002
    1. ROTJ
    2. AOTC
    3. TESB
    4. ANH
    5. TPM

18. JEDIASSANT

JEDIASSANT Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2002
    For me it will be

Confrontation With Count Dooku (AOTC)
    It got a little bit of everything ^^

Love Pledge and The Arena (AOTC)
    Across the star with action.

19. anakinsrightarm

anakinsrightarm Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    Wow...I'm surprised to see AOTC get so many favorable reviews. Personally, and it's all relative here...a LOVE them all...but of the SW films it's perhaps my least favorite.

I noticed right away that ON THE WHOLE I enjoyed it less than TPM....That being said, Empire is still my overall favorite and I think Menace would be second.

20. Minigo Varay

Minigo Varay Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2000
    Best score:

1. TESB
    2. ROTJ
    3. ANH
    4. TPM
    5. AOTC

The TPM and AOTC scores are REALLY weak in comparison to the whole OT music I'm sad to say. BUT, they are still good scores. Much of Williams' other music however, as for Shindler's list, Superman, Jurassic Park, Raiders of the lost ark, are SO much better than these two scores, I think.

Best themes (this is a tough one):

1. Luke and Leia (ROTJ)
    2. Imperial March (TESB) (Although "The Emperor arrives" version from ROTJ is the best version of the theme)
    3. Asteroid Field (TESB)
    4. City in the clouds (when the Falcon approaches Cloud City) (TESB)
    5. The Dark Side Beckons (ROTJ)
    6. Binary Sunset (ANH)
    7. Leia's theme (ANH)

21. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Well, for a score from start to finish, I must agree with what Jeff said. John Williams' effort on The Empire Strikes Back is nothing short of brilliant, through and through.

All of the other scores have their brilliant moments, however. ANH set up some of the classic themes, and features Binary Sunset and The Battle Of Yavin (and, of course, Cantina Band!).

The second half of ROTJ rivals any other film. Before the release of the SE cds, I used to fast forward my VHS copy just to listen to The Dark Side Beckons over and over. (The visuals were ok too. :p)

TPM is strong with DOTF and the TF theme. And AOTC, though mangled in the editing room, has ATS and some brilliant moments on Tatooine and Coruscant. (And terrific "minor" themes associated with Kamino and the Separatists.)

22. DarthMalifluous

DarthMalifluous Jedi Youngling star 2

May 11, 2002
    ESB is by far (technically speaking) the most complex and introduces us to the most memorable "bad guy theme" besides Jaws in the "Imperial March". It also has the "brightest" opening entrance of all the films so far (TPM comes close). TPM's "Dual of the Fates" is a beautiful piece of music... too bad the rest is incidental - much like AOTC IMO. ANH cannot be overlooked as it introduced us to perhaps the most heroic themes ever heard in cinema up to that point. ROTJ did such a good job of building mood with the "Emperor's Theme" and the end "Celebration Theme" was a nice change with it's choral work.

So I guess my list would look like:
    1) ESB
    2) ANH
    3) ROTJ
    4) TPM
    5) AOTC

23. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    No one took TPM as fav. score, so, I'll take it! :D

My fav. is the droid battle (TPM OS track#5). It's such a powerful track, especially the DOTF theme within gives me the chills (that part would be the perfect music for an Eps.III trailer!).

24. Jedi_Jess

Jedi_Jess Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    AotC has gotta be my favourite score.

But comming in a close second has to be TPM. Duel of the Fates is amazing.

25. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    When it comes to quality, innovation, function in the context of the film, and listenability as a music album ''Empire'' is the king of fantasy/action/sci-fi scores, Star Wars or not.

However, the SW album I like the most nowadays is AOTC. It's the most serious in tone, since Williams seems to embrace a more dramatic approach as opposed to a space opera melodrama one (just compare the new love theme with ''Solo and the Princess'')

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.