main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which Superman film or series is the worst?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Naboo1, Nov 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naboo1

Naboo1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    Superboy was a pretty bad series.

2. darkcide

darkcide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    For the movies,number 3. Richard Pryor is great but he had no business being in a Superman movie. It just didn't work.

3. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    IV:The Quest For Peace was the worst for me. It was a great idea of having Superman wanting to rid the world of nuclear weapons but everything was such a mess. The first two Superman movies had the finest production values from art direction to special effects, and to see it how far the quality has fallen was painful.

4. darkcide

Jun 17, 2003
    Smallville=Superman meets Dawson's Creek.

5. PadawanEmily

PadawanEmily Jedi Master star 8

Oct 18, 2003
    I agree..i watched smallville a matter or two times and both of them..i always thought of Dawnsons Creek...

6. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    The Quest for Peace.

7. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Superman 3 & were both terrible films, and Superboy was abysmal. I did not think much of Smallvile. I would have to say the best Superman Films/Series are Superman 1 & 2, Superman The Animated Series (followed the comic book) and the George Reeve Superman TV Series.

8. darkcide

Jun 17, 2003
    Lois and Clark was pretty un-Superman. Although Teri Hatcher was quite a hottie.

9. yes

yes Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2001
    I second that. Lois & Clark is the worse Superman series out there. It seemed to have potential at first. But then you begin to notice that everyone seems to be able to give Superman a run for his money. Scientists using technology, people fighting him psychologically, even the super-powered humans seem to come close to killing him. What kind of Superman is that???!!

Smallville is much better in my opinion. The best series is the Superman Animated Series followed by Superboy. Hey, Superboy may have bad special effects, but the series had a lot of input from the comic writers and had this pre-Crisis Superman feel to it. Plus, Superboy did used his powers to the fullest and fought people who can stand up to him. Why oh why did they cancel it to make way for Lois & Clark...

10. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Superman III was great. I know it wasn't exactly Shakespeare, but it had its moments.

I'm going with that god-awful Nuclear Man. Truly a blight on Supes' cinematic adventures.

11. darkcide

Jun 17, 2003
    The old cartoons from the 40's were cool.

12. Compactor_3263827

Compactor_3263827 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2003
    I'm sticking with Quest for Peace as the worst movie.

But I have to state that I think Smallville sucks.

...for some reason...it doesn't seem...right.

13. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I actually like Smallville a lot now. I watched a few of the early episodes and didn't care for them, so I stopped watching the show. But I gave it another shot last season and it's really gotten a lot better.

Superman IV: The Quest For Peace is by far the worst thing that has ever happened to Superman. I can't even begin to put into words how horrible the movie is.

14. Gunrar

Gunrar Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    Quest For Peace is THE worst

I have never seen Lois and Clark or Smallvile so I can't comment on how UBER-CRAPY they are/were.

Superman 3 is worth watching for the AWESOME evil Superman vs Clark Kent fight. This is still one of my all time favorite Superman scenes.

"You always wanted to fly, Kent. Now's your chance"

15. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Eugene_Meltsner_AIO Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2002
    I haven't seen many series, but Superman: TAS was excellent--especially toward the beginning and when Darkseid made appearances. "World's Finest" was a great 3-parter.

Yes, 3 and 4 are the worst, but they have certain things about them that are good. As mentioned above, the evil Supes vs. good Kent fight was great, but the rest of it was too corny and they made it a comedy--look at the DVD cover for cryin' out loud! Now, Superman 4, as I understand it, had a lot of footage cut that probably would have made it a kick-butt Superman film. It explained a lot--but what do we do about Lacy in space? :confused: Perhaps we could bring in GL to digitally add a scene where NM puts a space suit on her! 8-}

16. darkcide

Jun 17, 2003
    The thing is,Superman defeated three Kryptonians who were as powerful as he was in part 2. Where can you really go from there?

17. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The thing is,Superman defeated three Kryptonians who were as powerful as he was in part 2. Where can you really go from there?

Four Kryptonians?

18. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    I forgot about Lois & CLark. Yes it was awful.

19. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Lois & Clark = the poorest excuse for a Superman series, ever.

Personally, I love Smallville. Though it messes a bit with the comic continuity, it's still a great show. Lex is my fav character, and I love how they're setting up him & Clark for a huge explosion in their friendship. It's a ticking timebomb. I can't wait for the Bruce Wayne cameo later this year, either :cool:

20. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    I don't really care for Smallville,becuase while a Superman series without Superman may be a a great idea,you have to include him sometime,and I don't think they will,becuase from what I've heard,Tom Welling is glad he won't ever have to wear the traditional Superman costume. I also don't like the show's "No tights,no flights" policy,becuase it goes against everything Superman is. He's a superhero with amazing powers,let his freak flag fly,so to speak.

21. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    They have the no suit/no fly rule in place because this series is about a young Clark Kent, not about the adult Superman. However, on the last episode, there was a bit of flying in a flashback to when Jor-El was on Earth in the early 60s (don't ask) and I'm betting that in the series finale, the spandex may make an appearance.

22. dehrian

Mar 18, 1999
    It won't. You'll never see Clark in the Superman outfit on Smallville. If you want that, watch one of the movies. You'll never see him fly, either (aside from last week's flashback episode). The show takes place in one town, and while the superspeed allows him to get to crises situations in a hurry, flying would not only reveal him to all the town, but would make the town too small. Plus one of the interesting conceits of the show is that he's constantly learning new powers as he gets older, such as x-ray and heat vision. When he learns to fly, that will be when he leaves for Metropolis and the show will be over.

23. Compactor_3263827

Compactor_3263827 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2003
    I agree with JediOverlord. Any Superman without the flying and the costume just...just...isn't. Also, I always make a big deal about how it messes with the comics' continuity. I just can't handle that.

24. dehrian

Mar 18, 1999
    Then stick to the comics. If it struck strictly to continuity, you wouldn't have any of the villains the show has either, because I don't recall the comics having kryptonite infecting the townspeople of Smallville and giving them odd superpowers.

If the show stuck to continuity (for which there is little regarding young Clark), it would be a monumental bore to anyone other than a die-hard Superman fan.

Besides, which continuity are you going to stick to? In some continuity, Lana learns of Clark's powers.

25. Jedi-Monkey

Jedi-Monkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    Smallville is by far the worst. The people who mentioned Dawson's Creek were correct. Every time either DC or WB gets an idea to try and make the character more modern, more 'hip to today's youth,' it ends up destroying the character a little more.

After that, Superman IV is by far the worst of the films. It seems almost everyone agrees with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.