main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which takes place first: Rogue Planet or Deceptions?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by slimybug, Jun 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Which book takes place first: Rogue Planet or Jedi Apprentice Speicial Edition #1: Deceptions? They both list anakin as being twelve years old. I have not read Rogue Planet, however, and it has been years since I've read Deceptions. So, is there anything in these books that suggests that the events in the other book happened already, or haven't happened yet?

2. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Not read Deceptions, but IIRC Rogue Planet is Anakin's first real mission.

3. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    I forget why exactly, but Deceptions is first, then Rogue Planet, then The Followers.

4. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    It's Deceptions first, Rogue Planet second because Deceptions is Anakin's first real mission. (Not Rogue Planet, which is just another mission.) These are followed by the Jedi Quest hardcover.

The New Essential Guide to Characters briefly confused the issue by placing the order one way in Obi-Wan's entry, and the other way in Anakin's. Dan Wallace stated that the intent was to have Deceptions occur first, and then Rogue Planet. I believe that this error has been corrected in the second printing.

TC

5. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Is there any evidence that a second printing was ever made, yet?

Doesn't it generally take a few years for second printings to happen, usually?

6. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Doesn't it generally take a few years for second printings to happen, usually?

It depends on how big the first printing was, and how long it takes for the first one to sell out. :) Onslaught is up to at least its seventh, at only five years old; I don't know about any newer novels, though, nor do I know about the reference guides.

7. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    This is true, but if one takes certain comments in the VIP threads into account they apparently rarely ever change the printing proofs. They argue something about cost?

So it would be nice to know if there is any evidence of an edition with material that was changed, and what to look for.

8. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    *shurgs* I have a vague memory of flipping through a new copy some time ago and finding the wording fixed, but memories can play tricks on you--particularly if you're a Star Wars fan. ;)

TC

9. ATimson

Nov 19, 2003
    This is true, but if one takes certain comments in the VIP threads into account they apparently rarely ever change the printing proofs. They argue something about cost?

Changing little things, like fixing typos, usually isn't a problem. It's massive changes (like including "Ylesia"--or even adding pretty much any number of pages, in general) that are rare, since they involve a lot more work (and thus money). Not having the book in question, I don't know how involved the fix would be, but it sounds like it'd be closer to the "typo correction" end of the scale.

10. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    I thought Rogue Planet stated that it was Ankain's first real ission as well.

11. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    >I thought Rogue Planet stated that it was Ankain's first real ission as well. <

No, it just a matter-of-fact mission sort of thing.

TC

12. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Onslaught has been reprinted seven times?! That's confirnmed? Well, maybe that's just that region. Everu author's dream: to live off endless reprints. :p

13. ATimson

Nov 19, 2003
    Onslaught has been reprinted seven times?! That's confirnmed?

Well, reprinted six times, printed seven. :p (And probably more at this point.) You can easily check yourself; look at the copyright page. Towards the bottom, there should be a big long string of numbers; the lowest number in that string is the printing number of the book.

Well, maybe that's just that region.

That'd be for the Del Rey editions (which, if they're distributed outside of the US and Canada, are probably the same as the North American books; it's usually cheaper to just ship copies to other countries, rather than dealing with printers there). Each publisher will probably be on different printing numbers, for hopefully obvious reasons. :)

Everu author's dream: to live off endless reprints. :p

How else do you think Christopher Tolkien makes a living? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.