main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which teaser or trailer for which film is the best?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Ord Sorrell, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Ord Sorrell

Ord Sorrell Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2016
    For me I have to go with "A Hero falls" trailer/video

This is what reinvigorated my love for star wars after it was dormant for some years. (I had not seen attack of the clones in theaters because I still wasn't sure how I felt about TPM)

This trailer and this film (ROTS) is what drew me back in and caused me take another look at the PT, and I'm glad I did because I grew to love the PT.

Now I know this was released on the DVD that came with the CD soundtrack set, but I saw this before the movie was released somehow, someone from a chatroom had linked it. So I consider it a trailer.

2. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    I believe "A Hero Falls" was a music video that was on the official site before the film was released (similar to the ones for the previous two prequels, but without the shots of Williams & the orchestra).

For me, even though I was a huge Star Wars fan, I was still a young child & so I didn't really find out about TPM until I saw some TV commercials. So I don't have nostalgic memories of watching its trailers. For AOTC, I had transitioned my fandom to the internet but unfortunately had a pretty terrible computer that refused to load Quicktime videos...so I never saw either of its 4 trailers (meaning that, again, the first footage of AOTC I saw were the TV commercials lol). By the time I got to ROTS, I finally had a computer that could load Quicktime videos. But I still had dial-up, and so I have very fond memories of experiencing the ROTS teaser slowly loading one frame at a time. Yup, those were the good old days........

Anyway, I guess the ROTS teaser is my favorite as its the one I'm most nostalgic for. But beyond that, I think it's a pretty good trailer too. It had a lot of quick shots of things to get you excited for the movie, but not enough to spoil most of the plot (I'm looking at you, ROTS full trailer). It even went as far as to zoom in the shot of Mace's saber twirl in order to hide who he was dueling with. What a considerate trailer to do something like that!

Ord Sorrell likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The ROTS teaser. Easily.

TFA's was pretty good as well.

Ord Sorrell likes this.
  4. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    I have always really liked this teaser. The music is perfect they way it slowly builds up with the ever increasing action scenes, and it wasn't until I saw this trailer in theaters I realized new Star Wars films were coming back. I was so excited and surprised I actually stood up and yelled "YES!" And I wasn't alone in my excitement.

5. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
  6. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    For my money, this one is still yet to be beaten. Not a single line of dialogue from the film, just a bombardment of exciting images and music to get audiences pumped for what they've been looking forward to, and a promise of even more to come, with 'the continuing Star Wars Saga':

7. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    TPM teaser.

Ord Sorrell likes this.
  8. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014

This one is my favorite hands down. 2nd would probably be the TFA one where we see Han and Chewie at the end. Though there is something to be said about the terribly awesome trailers for the OT.

Ord Sorrell and Force Smuggler like this.
  9. Ord Sorrell

Oct 16, 2016
    wow man I'm glad you linked this. I don't think I've ever seen this trailer. This is like.. a cinematic/editing work of art.. especially for its time.. damn .. good find.. (do they have these on some bluray or DVD sets?)

10. Ord Sorrell

Oct 16, 2016
    This brings back old memories.. My mom bought me the VHS star wars back when I was a little kid.. she found em in mind condition at a garage sale.. and in the beginning of every VHS was this commercial.. I know the sales pitch by heart and as soon as I heard the promoters/commercial guy's voice I was back in my old room sittin on the floor back against my bed.. watching it

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The use of John Williams' "Clash of the Lightsabers" to close out the ROTS theatrical trailer gave it such a sense of apocalyptic finality.

Honorable Mention:

Ord Sorrell likes this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    My Dad found this at a garage sale. Watched it a lot.

A story of a boy, a girl and a galaxy. Shivers.

Ord Sorrell likes this.
  13. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I had that version of ROTJ, I remember that ad almost word for word.

Ord Sorrell likes this.
  14. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    For some reason, this one isn't on the DVD or Blu-Ray sets (which have a good few vintage trailers) - there's a similar version on one of them, but IIRC, there's additional voiceover and some alterations which spoil it a bit.

The YouTube clip would be from a VHS rip - pretty sure I first saw it on a VHS of one of the Ewok movies, and I think it was also included in the legendary 1995 Executor box set of the OT, which was released on VHS and laserdisc in the UK.

Ord Sorrell likes this.
  15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    TPM teaser is my favorite. Was unlike anything I expected out of a new Star Wars movie. Far more epic and even beautiful.

Ord Sorrell likes this.
  16. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Loved all trailers for TFA but the winner has to be the very first trailer for TPM.

Ord Sorrell likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The "Breathing" trailer for AOTC.

ewoksimon, Krueger and Ord Sorrell like this.
  18. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Oh snap, son! I so remember this. Excellent pull. Still, I gotta second as my favorite ewoksimon honorable mention:

The signature Vader breathing, of course, but also for Williams' score bent a creeping sense of mystery and danger. That coupled with the selected shot-flow skimming through wordless expressions of suspicion/unease, darker-yet-luminous environs, speed, romance and the truly bizarre à la kid-Jango clones, before closing on the orchestral *boom!* nearly identical to that which cued the opening shot of Close Encounters. I distinctly remember back when this first premiered, how it made for an impression of such striking contrast to what, at the time, was only Episode I; in theaters, all the mild gasps, oohs-and-awes etc. Maybe the finished movie didn't pan-out for everyone but this teaser, on its own, certainly sparked the hype.

{Quantum/MIDI} and Ord Sorrell like this.
  19. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    I'm going with this one too. For basically the same reasons.

I find TPM teaser trailer pretty good too, much in the same vein except for the dialogues in it.
    There were such high hopes and expectations back then...That one trailer had been dreamt about for 15 years by some !

Ord Sorrell likes this.
  20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It's difficult to pick one, since many of the Star Wars trailers have been really good.

I'll probably have to go with a top three (in no particular order):

-AOTC teaser. I love how there's almost no music in it. The edits in synch with the Vader breathing is very effectfull.
    -TFA teaser 2. The opening shot (still one of my favorite shots in all of Star Wars), the music, the Luke voice over. Not to mention Han and Chewie at the end. Beautiful! Made me cry when I first saw it. I still go back and watch it every once in a while.
    -ROTS teaser. The desaturated opening montage with Obi-Wan's voice over, followed by the shot of Anakin with Sith eyes - it's really well edited. And then you have the "Lord Vader. Rise" part. A really, really well executed teaser. The music editing at the very end is my only complaint.

Ord Sorrell likes this.
  21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    The AOTC "breathing" trailer by far. A close second would have to be TFA's teaser (the proper teaser, not the announcement trailer).

Ord Sorrell likes this.