main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo Which theate for AOTC?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by seasider, Mar 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seasider

seasider Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    I know this is a little premature to be deciding, but for me seeing a Star Wars movie is something that must be done right. Seeing it for the first time under the best circumstances always makes it a night to remember.

Sad thing about Utah county is their theaters kind of suck in general. I mean Cinemark 16 is nice, but to me you just can't watch a Star Wars flick without THX. I know that Payson theater has THX, but their seats are murder on one's gluteus maximus. Most likely, I'll probably end up going up to the Salt Lake area to see it. Either Jordan Commons or Century.

Any of you guys thought about where you're gonna see the movie?

2. Toran-Kal

Toran-Kal Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2001
    Well I've thought about posting on this subject but I thought I would wait a little longer. But since you did it already...... :D

I guess we should go ahead and start making some plans for Episode II. I'm not even sure I'll be able to come with you guys but I'll help with plans anyway.

I know nothing about the theaters down here, but I'm sure one of you do.

Also, I'm assuming we will want to be in costume waiting in line. You know - the whole shabang. Any plans with that too?

EDIT: Well that didn't make too much sense but oh well...........

3. Renegade4E

Renegade4E Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2002
    Wynnsong or Town Center for me. Both of those theaters rock but I'm leaning towards the Provo Town Center theater...

4. seasider

Mar 12, 2002
    I guess it doesn't matter which theater you choose, there'll be long lines with geeks in strange costumes.

5. Marna_Veign

Marna_Veign Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    I like the Provo Town Center theatre. About the Stadium theatre in Payson, if I remember right, the restroom seats are not that comfy. [face_blush]
    Don't blame me for noticing that. I was pregnant when I first went there.

6. seasider

Mar 12, 2002
    The one thing the Payson theater has going for it is that it's the only THX theater I know of in Utah county and the fact that they have some cool looking soda dispensers. Other than that the building has this, "we went over-budget so we had to cut corners" look to it.

I think the Provo Cinemark 16 at the Town center will be where the majority of people will flock to to see AOTC.

7. Handyman

Handyman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
    Provo Towne Centre.

'nuff said.

....but then again, I'll probably be seeing it at the Cinerama in downtown Seattle. :D

8. Sprry75

Sprry75 Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2002
    I'm just curious, would it be possible for a bunch of people from these boards to show up in costume, together? The reason I ask is because I am intent on seeing it ASAP, i.e., the first midnight showing. I also have a Jedi costume I'm dying to wear, but I do not have the self-confidence to show up in fully adorned geekdom by myself. If I know where and when a few of you will be similarly dressed, then I'm there, in full Jedi regalia.

Can we work something out where multiple tickets are purchased? Does Cinemark at Provo Towne Centre have internet pre-sells? Will there be limits to the number of tickets one can buy? I'd suggest working something out where somebody gets money from all those interested, buys the tickets, and then we take turns waiting in line or something.

I saw Episode I up in Salt Lake while I was going to the U, but now that I am a cougar, it looks like a Provo theater will be my destination on May 16....

9. allenj456

allenj456 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2002
    Im a SLC'er but I have some pretty good theatre conections up here. I MIGHT be able to ensure tix for the midnight showing at Hollywood Conection in WVC. Would you all be interested in joining up with what will be by then the official SLC FF chapter. Just though I'd throw that out there.

10. seasider

Mar 12, 2002
    You should be able to pre-order tickets for the Provo Town center theaters at www.fandango.com, but I'm not sure when they'll start selling them online.

11. Toran-Kal

Apr 23, 2001
    Well I'm sure there will be plans made for everyone down here to wait in line for the first showing and in costume.

And I'm sure someone can get multiple tickets for the first showing too. If only you were still here Mike.........didn't you have some very good connection around here regarding Episode II?

12. Ben_Sch-

Ben_Sch- Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2002
    Well I will be seeing it in London, just got my orders today about the army, I will be in London at that day. I know some people there and they will be buying my tickets to see it opening night. It shall be great fun. I just hope they don't change the language to "proper English" couldn't stand to see Anakin or Obi-Wan saying Smashing blow mate. :)

-Ben Sch-

13. Marna_Veign

Marna_Veign Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Sorry to hear you'll be out of country. I'm not likely to see AOTC opening night. Probably see it on the 18th at Provo Towne Center with my husband.
    We will be in costume, including lightsabers (just handles) if we can find his. (I know where mine is)

We dressed as Jedi to see TPM, and it had been out about a week at that point, so we were practically the only ones dressed up. I was a bit self-conscious at first, but we had fun.

14. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    I never dressed up to see the movies. I don't think I had a costume at the time either. I think it would be fun to dress up, it just adds to the whole effect.

15. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Ben_Sch-,

Wow! London! What a great place. I served my mission there. I hope to go back soon.
    You know, a funny thing about the "Queen's English", they do have British English to American English dictionaries over there. Seriously. :D

Anyway, about the costumes for the premiere, I think everyone who can, should wear a costume. It does make it easier to do when you're in a group and it really adds to the excitement of the event.

In 1999, for the release of Episode I, 107.5 The End radio station had a Star Wars costume contest at the Water Gardens Cinema in Pleasant Grove. It was an abosulte blast! I'll have to post some of my photos from that event. A bunch of us won free tickets to see Episode I on opening day. We didn't even have to wait in line. I was also fortunate enough to see it again on that same day at the Century 16. ;)

I know some of you don't have a costume yet but would like to make one. Check the Costuming & Props forum or post here for tips. There are alot of us in the Provo Forum who can help you with your costume construction.

Later,

16. allenj456

allenj456 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2002
    i guess this is more of a costuming question but since it was brought up... I know that if I tried to make a Jedi Costume (which is what I'd do) id end up looking like some ghetto Jawa. Would anyone be will to make one and sell it to me? Of course that depends on the cost. I also have a friend that is dying for a really good Stormtrooper outfit. Any ideas? Thanks.

17. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings allenj456,

My wife is a professional seamstress and has made both of my Jedi Costumes. The pattern for the Jedi cloak we have is modified from several different patterns to achieve the correct look. The cost of the cloak can vary greatly depending on what kind of fabric you use. You'll need about 7 yards of 60" wide fabric for the cloak. The movie cloaks were made out of Egyptian Wool which is EXPENSIVE and difficult to even find. Several fabric stores in the area have decent looking wool at a reasonable price of $8-$12 per yard. At that price you're looking at around $100 per cloak. A cheaper alternative is to go with a heavy felt. I've even seen a decent looking cloak made out of fleece. Talk about hot! :eek:

As far as Stormtrooper armor goes, it's been very difficult to buy from an armorer lately since the Lucasfilm law suit against a Canadian prop maker. Still, suits are available. There are usually 4-5 available at any given time on E-bay and go for around $550 each. Most of these suits are in kit form which can take at least a week or two to complete.

Hope this helps,

18. DarthScud

DarthScud Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2002
    I bought tickets for lord of the Rings at the Town Center two weeks before it opened on fandango.com. I bought 10 at that time so unless they change something specifically for ATOC you can buy multiple tickets.

I was on fandango just recently and it looks like you can only buy them one week in advance now. I'm going to be experimenting (maybe tonight) to see if new movies come online right at midnight, I'll let you all know.

Please post if you know anything about midnight showings, I'm don't want to wait any longer than is absolutely necassary.

Oh, and hi, yes I'm a fan from around here, I just found this fanforce board, I'm usually lurking in the non-spoiler forum.

19. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Welcome DarthScud!

Happy to have you along!

I'm amazed at all the local fans popping out of the woodwork lately. ;)

Later,

20. Toran-Kal

Apr 23, 2001
    Welcome Scud!!!

Yeah no kidding Mike!! Where are all of you coming from and where the heck have you been hiding all this time??!! :D

21. DarthScud

DarthScud Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2002
    You've probably seen me somewhere and just didn't know it. I was at toys-r-us at midnight when they first release TPM toys and at water gardens at midnight trying to get tickets for TPM. I'm big into figures and so I used to hang out at the forums at sirstevesguide.com for a long time. I've come to TFN since toys died down and ATOC news picked up.

Anyways, more importantly, here's the lowdown on fandango. They sell tickets 6 days in advance (7 days total inlcuding that day) so the tickets should go on sale at 1:00 AM May Friday May 10th.

Right now you can only buy tickets for the Towne Center but they are quite a few changes right now and that could change before May. I'll let you know if I see any changes.

22. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings DarthScud,

May 3, 1999. Yes, I was there at Toys'R Us at midnight also. I took several photos that night. Check them out to see if you're in any of them...

http://www.starwarsutah.com/events/toysrus/

Small world, huh? ;)

23. Ben_Sch-

Ben_Sch- Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2002
    Well everyone, some bad news for me. No longer going to England I volunteered to go fight, well at least I will be in the AH-64D (Apache Longbow) so I will just pretend I am fighting clones in a gunboat while I am out there, and that my missles are proton torpedos, etc. But I am shipping out in a week so I will post a few messages and then if I have access to the internet over there (Which I am sure I will) I will post updates on stuff, but anyways hopefully I will be out in time for Star Wars, usually you don't stay in combat that long but I will have it on base I am sure. So maybe I will see it opening night. Anyways it was great talking to people in the area, I won't be around for about 6 years now, fight then England.

-Ben Sch-

24. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Ben_Sch-,

Good luck! We're all behind you. It's a noble cause you'll be fighting for.

May the Force be with you!

25. navaren

navaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2001
    Finally getting around to weighing in.

Ben, it was nice to see you on the boards, even if it was for such a short time. Good luck!

Now, on the theatre/costuming issue. I think Provo Town Centre would provide the best movie viewing experience for us. I would highly recommend wearing costumes....I've done that for a couple of movie releases, and it was a lot of fun.

As far as tickets, if someone can keep an eye on online ticket availability, that would be greatly appreciated. Please keep us posted!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.