main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Which Theatre Next May?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Vermillion, Aug 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vermillion

Vermillion Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2001
    So which theatre are you planning to see Episode II at?

2. Mori_Fett

Mori_Fett Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2001
    I saw it (TPM) at Silvercity, Richmond Hill. I actually made as many friends as I could go. And anyone that didn't see it with me then, got to see it with me later on. Good excuse to watch the movie in theatres like 9 or 10 times. = ) Hey I'm the only fanatic from my group of peers...

I'll see AotC where you guys see it next year. Well the first show anyway.....the next 12 shows might be scattered all over Toronto.

3. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    I do not know what I am going to do next year. I was looking forward to another York line up but now that it has been scheduled to or already has been closed really messes up plans for another 1-2 week line up. I do not know what or if there are any plans being worked on and what the municipal rules are for this sort of event, as we did receive
    permission from the York to line up there. Tragic or Shmi may be able to answer that. I am toying with the idea of finding a theatre in Mississauga. Maybe I can round up some people to hang out with me. We can then have a Star Wars movie marathon at my place. Maybe I might join up with YoungJediNiagara as I am not too far away from them. They might take in an old guy like me. Ultimately for me it gets down to what the core decides
    to do and at that stage I will have to make
    a hard decision.

Mike

4. Teenage_Lobotomy

Teenage_Lobotomy Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2001
    Colossus...the one by the highway.

5. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    As we found out for the Episode I line-up, theatres located on the outskirts (Thornhill, Vaughn, etc.) were pretty inaccessible for the majority of the line members.

Also, they didn't provide a 24-hour facility that we'd need to use for washrooms, food, etc.

The York was pretty much the perfect location but sadly, as Crazy Mike mentioned, it is set to close at the end of this month (at least as far as I'm aware)

The best thing to do, is be aware of what theatres are in and around Toronto, that would be suitable for a line-up and decide on a theatre around February or March 2002.

Deciding any earlier wouldn't help much as the theatre chosen may not necessarily get the movie or even be open by then.

Obviously, Silvercities, Paramount (with a digital screen (?) will get the film. Those really aren't possibilites, though.

I think I have a Theatre listings from the release of TPM. If I can find it that may give a good indication of what theatres will have Episode II.

6. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Hi Mike,

Tragic and I did consider doing something out in Mississauga but what stops us is the fact that there is no 24-hour available bathrooms near the AMC. There is only a fitness place.

A few people earlier in the summer scouted out some theatres that did have 24-hour available bathrooms in the Toronto area but I don't think anything's set in stone yet. I think we are all holding our breath that the York theatre stays open.

7. TopGun2001

TopGun2001 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2001
    with the release of Planet Of The Apes, 20th Century Fox officially broke their regional-exclusivity agreement with Cineplex, choosing to have the film play at the Eglinton rather than the York, where it would've been contractually obligated to appear at in the past. So, it's now very-likely (and, 100% possible) that Attack Of The Clones will be playing at the Eglinton. Despite the court-case against it by two cranky wheelchair-bound people trying to get the theatre shut-down, it's doubtful that that will happen by next May. A manager there recently told me that it's the favourite theatre of the Famous Players president, and he won't let it go without a big long fight.

So, my vote is for the Eglinton... one of the best theatres in Toronto, in a safe neighbourhood, close to 24-hour food/bathroom facilities (the nearbye Macs/Subway, plus a 10-minute walk to the old favourites at Yonge & Eglinton). And even if city regulations would prohibit the lining-up in front of the local business adjacent to the Eglinton, the lineup could always start (or at least, hang-out-by) the entrance to the Eglinton's parking lot, which is just around the corner.

Whatta ya'll think?

~theatreMike~

8. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Earlier this year, David, Cristalia and I did a walkabout of the cities theatres in order to determine a likely location for the next line.

Our criteria for a suitable theatre were as follows:

1) 24 hr facilities no more than a five minute walk away
    2) ample sidewalk space (so neither pedestrian nor storefronts are blocked)
    3) safety of neighbourhood both in day and at night
    4) proximity to subway/transit and Blue Light transit routes.
    5) availability of parking

From all the theatres we looked at, The Grande at Yonge & Shepard seemed to fit the bill better than most.

The Eglinton is definitely a much nicer theatre, but we ruled it out due to an absolute lack of space for lining up and distance of any 24 hr facilities. However, I didn't realize Macs was open 'round the clock nor that there was a parking area.

Mike, next time we have a gathering in the Y&E area, could you point the parking area out to me?

9. Vermillion

Aug 6, 2001
    ...another criteria:

Must have grass in order to pitch a tent.

10. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    If I had to choose any other theatre, other than the York (which I do), then it would be The Eglinton.

If we can line up at the back of the theatre and be guaranteed that we are the first to get in line for tickets, admissions, then I would be up for the Eglinton.

Would Macs have a bathroom for our use during the evening?

11. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    The Eglinton has a few other concerns, but it's worth another look to see if the room is really there.

12. Teenage_Lobotomy

Teenage_Lobotomy Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2001
    a tent? how long do you plan on waiting?

I'll buy my ticket a few days early and skip school to go during the day when there's less people. that's what I did for TPM.

13. Vermillion

Aug 6, 2001
    And I bet someone told you Darth Maul died prior to you seeing it.

I hated it when I found out that Bruce Willis character was actually dead in "The Sixth Sense". I want the movie to be a surprise.

14. sabre81

sabre81 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2001
    I can't imagine you won't already know pretty much everything about the movie before it ever hits a screen.
    Also, my concern is which theatres will be converted to brand new, state-of-the-art digital projection theatres to open AotC. That will be your best presentation and quality of presentation is all that really matters.
    Buy your tickets a couple of days early for an early morning show the first day (ie: 6:00 a.m.) and hide out in your basement to avoid all influences. You will probably see the movie with about 200 other crazed fans.

15. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    Well, at the Toronto line-up, we were there for two weeks; saw the move with 100 other people from the line and about 400-500 other Star Wars fans at 12:01am.

It was the best screening I had ever seen of TPM. The enthusiam and excitment, the cheers throughout the movie, it was really great.

What made it so great was sharing the experience with so many new friends, who I never meet two weeks before.

I definitely recommend to you guys to at least come out for a couple of days (better if you can make everyday) to the Toronto Line.

I think digital projection isn't quite the priority for the first screening. Unless the theatre meets all the requirements we need for a successful line up.

Though, THX is a definite must.

I'm we could go out the day it opens and see a digitally projected version of the film.

When next we see a movie at the Eglinton we can try and ask the manager if they are planning to upgrade to a digital projector.

16. TopGun2001

TopGun2001 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2001

"quality of presentation is all that really matters"??? exCUSE me? I still maintain that the actual moviegoing experience itself -- picking a great theatre, meeting there, hanging out, getting coffee afterwards, etc. -- is what matters. Toronto is lucky to still have a few unique, classic theatres remaining (in the Uptown and Eglinton). When we recently saw Planet Of The Apes opening-night at the Eglinton, there was some guy's big fat head blocking my view of the lower-right quarter of the screen for most of it. As annoying as it was (and considerably less amusing than Crow or Tom Servo would be), I had to think... once the Eglinton and Uptown are gone, there won't be a single theatre left in the city where someone's head might be in your field of view, all thanks to Famous Players' self-righteous quest to homogenize and dumb-down the movies-going experience with their cold, blue, unwelcoming stadium-seating theatres, each of which is completely indistinguishable from the next. "Attack of the clones"? You tell me...

If you want "quality presentation", Sabre, try dishing-out for a topoftheline home theatre setup (or, try being CrazyMike :D ). For the movie-going EXPERIENCE, though... enjoy it while it lasts.

(and, Adam... the Eglinton is too preoccupied with trying to Stay Open to bother with digital projection right now...)

~mike~

17. Vermillion

Aug 6, 2001
    Trust me dude...Sabre knows what is good presentation or not. His "home" theatre is THX certified.

I enjoyed the line...it was an event I have always remembered and hope to again.

Just next time, please do not steal power from the adjacent apartment buildings!

18. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    Hi Mike,

My home theatre is badly out of balance. I only have a small 28" monitor. I am going to get one of those 16x9 aspect ratio screens one of these days. Once I do that I will be happy... I have have done my bit for Mr Luca's THX to the tune of 15K. subwoofer, centre speaker and 3 power amps) but I do not have a THX preamp. With the advent of DTS, Dolby Digital, and now DTS-ES, DD EX,it is not a big deal to have it. Trust me I used to sell THX stuff and have my THX certification and it is my opinion that home THX is overated. I only bought the THX rated power amps and subwoofer because I was looking for some really mental equipment that could take a pounding and power my
    Martin Logans without melting. All of that aside, save your money as nothing can beat the feeling of a big theatre on the opening night of EPII with all your friends !!!

I have to also agree with sabre81. It sounds
    he has the home theatre bug like me ( You
    should come by my place some time Sabre81 as
    long as you dont make fun of my monitor !!!)
    The digital theatre is the way to go but
    unfortunately it may not be the best suited place to line up at. Does anyone know which theatres are slated to be digital ( if any)
    in time for EPII next year. By the way where is AotC ????

19. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    Actually someone just gave me a really neat
    THX test dvd with Tex the robot in it and it
    appears to be the newest THX trailer...

20. sabre81

sabre81 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2001
    The newest THX trailer starts as a rain storm in all speakers, followed by a strobing planet Earth which explodes in a thunderous boom. The pieces of Earth then liquify and come together to form the THX logo (kind of like the T1000 in Terminator 2). It's not the coolest THX trailer but it is certainly original.

21. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    Axtually I just watched that trailer on the T2 dvd. The trailer that I watched was from
    a THX test dvd and I believe was something to do with the new THX EX ( I think) which
    now like DTS-ES and Dolby Digital EX incorporates a rear centre speaker. Sorry for the techno babble. I do not know if this
    trailer ever made it to the theatre. I will
    have to play it for you folks next time you venture over to my place.

22. jedinightwalker

jedinightwalker Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2001
    well i hope some or most people agree with me (who were there) but paramount at richmond and john was star wars party central. i hope its the same next year.
    it rained but who the hell cared.

23. Vermillion

Aug 6, 2001
    THX EX.....ummm....no.

THX is a sound environment, made to duplicate the sounds the director really wanted the audience to hear.

Other than a Monitor made by THX, the rest of the setup is usually Dolby,DTS or Sony.

24. AndyVX

AndyVX Jedi Youngling

Jul 7, 2001
    There is another theater left where someones big fat head can be in your way. That theater is the Humber located at Bloor & Jane.

They upgraded the theater about a year ago to Dolby Digital so it's actually not a bad theater now. Big screen, good sound (now), good ol' non-multiplex environment.

Anyone been to this theater before?

Andrew

25. Duker_Duck

Duker_Duck Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2001
    I have been there, but it qwas before the renovations, we might want to consider the cineplex being built at Islington and the queensway if we're going out that far west, it'll be better for lining up then that one no stores next door or anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.