main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which Timesplitters 2 to get?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by TK_Four_Two_One, Oct 10, 2002.

?

Which Timesplitters 2 to get?

Poll closed Oct 15, 2002.
  1. Timesplitters 2 on the Gamecube?

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Timesplitters 2 on the Playstation 2?

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
  2. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    And generally- if two same games where coming out on each console which would you usually choose? Cheerz.

3. RedSaberWarrior

RedSaberWarrior Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2002
    I'v always gone gamecube because it has the better hardware and graphics. Plus it's controler is better in most cases.

4. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    First off, you conveniently left off the X-Box version.

Now both the X-Box and PS2 versions have multiple-console linking capabilities, which the GC version does not.

The best version to play is the PS2 one as it's engine was developed specifically to take advantage of the PS2's hardware (especially the controller). The GC controller doesn't have the same quality in the trigger buttons (actually, there are less trigger buttons period). The TS configuration requires 4 trigger buttons (2 fire modes, one aiming, one to crouch) and 2 analog sticks (one to move/strafe, the other to aim). With this configuration your hand never leaves the analog sticks to fire or aim. The GC controller already has less trigger buttons meaning that a few functions must be delegated to the regular buttons. You lose the speed and controller efficiency element right there. And I don't even want to fathom using the C-stick to aim with.

Of course, the X-Box version is also an excellent choice. The analog stick is more precise on the X-Box and the buttons are placed very well. I'd imagine the new s-controller might even be even better to game with than the PS2 version, but I'd have to test it out first to say for sure.

Graphically, all the versions are pretty much the same.

On the merits of the features alone, the X-Box and PS2 version blow away the GC version with a 16 player capability.

5. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    I only asked about the Gamecube and PS2 versions cuz i only have those consoles- plus i never even realised the X-Box had Timesplitters 2 on it. Besides Halo what else does the X-Box have going for it (thats not meant to sound derogatory towards the x-box- just a genuine question)? Cheerz.

6. RedSaberWarrior

RedSaberWarrior Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2002
    I just wanted to point out that the ps2 version will not have online capabilities. This makes x-box the only consol that does so if you want online play you have to go x-box

7. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    What does X-Box have going for it?

X-Box live. Broadband gaming. That's where the future is, and the X-Box is best equipped. With the PS2 you've got to add on over $100 of hardware for a Network Adapter and the hard drive. As for GC, forget about it, this "internet" thing is unknown to Nintendo.

EDIT: No version of TS2 will have online capabilities, Eidos Interactive canned the effort over 2 months ago.

8. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    Though it (the X-box) seems pretty scarce on games and rumours are it will go the way of the Dreamcast.

9. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    Uhh...with Microsoft's deep pockets backing the X-Box, it won't go the way of the Dreamcast (not that the DC was a bad system).

ESPECIALLY in light of the recent aquisition of Rare by Microsoft, any "rumours" of the X-Box's upcoming demise are just wishful thinking by console fanboys and Microsoft haters.

And GC doesn't exactly have a huge lineup of games.

10. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    Aye the Dreamcast wasnt bad- just bad games made for it and bad advertising plus the time it came out here in UK- i think was about october/november it sold out really quick but stocks werent replenished til AFTER christmas i.e. about the next February. So it missed that great period over the Christmas holidays to really get a foot hold in the industry. Then next year the PS2 was out so it was too late.

Also regarding the GC- i'm sitting here looking at x-box and GC upcoming games and it seems GC has a better selection about to arrive- though admittingly they might all be rubbish.

11. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    Talk about deep pockets. Old Gates is looking to loose 2 billion US before they turn a profit. That's not a tiny bit of scratch. Sega's problem was that they didn't have developer backing, and they spent all their cash on developement of the dreamcast while not recognizing that it would take them longer to turn a profit as they hadn't had a console in the fray in the last battle which hurt their customer base. It was just poor planning. Plus they realized they could make just as much if not more developing games as opposed to being a console combatant.

The better speculation is that Nintendo will gracefully bow out after the Gamecube. Not to say they're doing what Sega did. They're going to give it just as good of a run as the N64 (possibly better), but they've stated that they're not going to engage in the next console war. Instead they'll be making fat cash developing their 1st party titles for the other consoles, and maintaining the monopolisitic grip in the hand held market. You can read up about all this and more in my "Nintendo Gives Up" thread.

As for games; any one of the console war threads has the most anticipated games for all consoles listed numerous times. Just because a console has the most games does not mean they're worth playing.

12. And_Justice_For_Maul

And_Justice_For_Maul Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 11, 2002
  13. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    i'll get gcn, just cos i havn't got a ps2, or xbox...........

14. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    TS and TS2 were designed primarily for the PS2 whereas the GC and X-Box versions are just ports. I'm getting the PS2 version, though it's up to you. Also bear in mind which consoles your friends have (if any ;)); if they are used to the PS2 version (and controller) they might not want to play the Gc version...and as the multiplayer is TS's strong point, it may hinder you

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.