main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Which version of ANH is the true and only?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Aaronaman, Mar 13, 2013.

1. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    I guess I'd go with the 1978 version. I did see the original theatrical release but was only 8 at the time, and like the OP mentions, it was never seen again. I like the Blu-Ray version too. I wish they didn't have Greedo shoot, it's just silly, but otherwise, it looks great.

2. Star Wars 1977 Only

Star Wars 1977 Only Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2013
  3. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
  4. Club Obi-Wan

Club Obi-Wan Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2013
    What are the differences in the May 25, 1977 premiere cut, wider 1977 release, 1978 re-release, and 1981 re-release version?

Darth Dnej likes this.
  5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I definitely agree that this is a very personal choice, and each person will like a different one better...

For me personally, it would be the Blu-ray version. looking beyond the Enhancements, new scenes and changes and whatnot (Which I actually enjoy) just from the Standpoint of the new sound mix and breathtaking picture quality. I have never seen this movie looks so good, nor have I even imagined that it could look and sound that good!

All of these improvements as a whole basically changed the way I view ANH as part of the saga. IMO it makes it blend in much better visually, audibly And effects-wise with the rest of the episodes, Instead of standing out like a sore thumb like it did before.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Probably the 1978 version, because of the Episode IV title. As a kid I loved the possibilities and mystique the episodes IV-V-VI gave to Star Wars. It was a crazy way of getting you hooked, I had a lot of fun with it. I even remember that a friend told me that a cousin of his had the books of Episodes I-II-III and since there was no Internet and not that much production info going around, I totally bought into it for months.

All those hints to the past were really interesting, the way Owen looks at Beru when Luke mentions his father, the clone wars, Leia's mother, the Emperor, etc. I would invent millions of little theories.

Well then the prequels came out. Woop dee friggin' doo. No comments.

Now the later versions are made to tie with these movies. There's the special edition that features Coruscant, later the dvds that included Naboo at the end, the blurays, where Lucas thought it was necessary to add the howl of Obi Wan's cgi dinosaur, the "Nooooooo" scream and so on.

Given the personal context in wchich I genuienly marveled at the movies, I would go with their original releases and for the case of ANH alone (to get back in topic), the 1978 version gave me hours of imagination and fun.

7. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Minutiae-alert:

The 'Episode IV A New Hope' title was first shown on-screen with the 1981 re-release.

8. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    never understood the angst about the Greedo/Han thing at all! I love the Biggs scene as it ties into a movie that was left on the cutting room floor that we only ever saw in those lost deleted scenes, so tho i love the original movie version 77 (was Xmas release here in UK). By the way was it my five year old imagination or was there during the lightsabre duel a part where the scene went black only illuminated by the sabres? i may have just imagined it......

9. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    Thanks for the correction

10. TOSCHESTATION

Jan 17, 2003
    You're welcome.

11. tulwinn

tulwinn Jedi Knight

Apr 28, 2011
    For me, Id probably say he theatrical cut but I do like the addition of Biggs.

I always remember watching it and wondering why Luke was so cut up by Bigg's death and why the music made him sound like a special loss. With the addition of the meeting scene it added a lot more emotion to his death.

themetresgained likes this.
  12. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    While I do like some of the changes (Mos Eisley now looks like a Spaceport) I prefer any version that is before the special edition.

13. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999

It looks like a video game spaceport to me

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  14. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Why is it logical? This is obviously a question of preference. There's no logic involved here.

I'd love to see the 1977 version again. I was there, but don't remember it very well because of all the changes to it since then.

15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    1976 novel based on the original shooting script. How dare they de-jewel Luke's lightsabre, only mention one Sith Lord, change Blue to Red Squadron, let Ponda Baba live, and drop the pivotal scene where Red Leader tells Luke about his father :p

16. TOSCHESTATION

Jan 17, 2003
    [face_shame_on_you]:-B:p;)

DarthBoba likes this.
  17. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    id love to have seen the scene with camie (koo stark) - maybe in ep7 will have a group of youngsters in a hang out watching a battle in the sky....

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    If the question was obviously one of preference then it would have read "which is the best?" or "which is your personal favorite?" But asking for which version of A New Hope is the true version – the truest, the truth – implies some degree of objective standards beyond one’s personal taste, or at least a subjective view that, in part, is nonetheless ideologically predicated on facts, reason or reality.

A New Hope didn’t just one day magically appear or fall from the sky. It is a creation, a product of authorship; that creative authority being George Lucas. Therefore, whichever version of the film most accurately represents Lucas’ intentions, his fullest expression of the setting, story and characters by whatever cinematic means, logically, is the true version. When I call this the "logical answer", I mean just that, only that. I’m not arguing that you or anyone else must then accept the Blu-ray version of the film as your personal favorite.

Andy Wylde and FRAGWAGON like this.
  19. Grand_Moff_Jawa

May 31, 2001

Then the "true" version must be the 1st version we got. The one from 1977. Using your logic, of course. Lucas changes his mind like he changes his underwear. I take very little of what his "vision" is seriously.

20. RogueZero

RogueZero Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2009
    1977 ideally.

For me, what I grew up with: the VHS version complete with Episode IV: A New Hope on the opening crawl. I was born in 1979 so that's the one I know.
    The older I get, the more I don't care for the Special Editions or the PT. Not that I ever liked the PT that much to begin with...

21. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Uh, actually, no. In fact, that’s pretty much the opposite of my argument. Read it again.
    Interesting. I'm not really sure why you're here, be that the case. But...interesting.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  22. Grand_Moff_Jawa

May 31, 2001
    Why am I here? Well, it's because I'm a fan of Star Wars. I've been here since 2001, in fact. So I read your response wrong. Regardless, my point is the true vision must have been the one we were given first. Why else would George have released it? All this later-day backtracking about his vision not being realized is silly, in my opinion. Star Wars 1977 is the version that put Star Wars on the map. And a lot of purist fans would say the Blu-Ray version is a disgrace to the original. So, even though you disagree, there is a bit of preference involved. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking George made some of the OT changes just to change it. Pushing the technology again. Jedi Rocks? Really?

23. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    All versions are equally true, as they are all the same film. At some point, we the fandom must realize that the differences between the versions are granular, ephemeral, and do not ultimately alter the meaning of the story. All this edition-related sound and fury signifies nothing.

Sophdeon, lbr789 and darklordoftech like this.
  24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
  25. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    this version is what i took my 7 year old nephew to see, fresh eyes do a lot to add perspective.....

darklordoftech likes this.