main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which versions do you prefer watching when viewing the SAGA in order?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by BobaFrank, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Here's mine.

ANH- The newest difinitive version. I think it gives it more depth.

ESB- Original Theatrical version. I think it is perfect the way it was.

ROTJ-Original Theatrical version. I love the Ewok music ending and seeing Sebastian Shaw at the end. I wish they would incorporate the added worlds shown at the end and Jedi Rock's, but this is what I grew up with.

TPM-The DVD version. I love how they added the second lap in the pod race and also, seeing the added taxi ride with Ani and Jar Jar when they first arrive at Coruscant. I think it helps the pacing considerably.

AOTC-No comment considering there were no changes that I'm aware of.

ROTS-Same as AOTC.

Note to Admins, Mods, Managers. I checked at least 12 pages prior to starting this thread and didn't see anything exactly like this subject. Feel free to lock if necessary though I hope you keep it open. :D [face_praying]

2. Boba16

Boba16 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2006
    As of September 12th:

PT + O-OT = The saga

Alot more fans are like this than populate these or any SW boards. Most fans like the PT, but dont' love or hate it. Most fans enjoy the SE, but prefer the O-OT. These are called moderate SW fans, and people like that really don't post that much on SW boards.

3. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I prefer the DVD prequels and the 2004 SE classic trilogy so far. I also like to throw in the Clone Wars cartoon. I will probably end up loving the archival editions the best, and maybe the CG clone wars show will replace my Clone Wars Cartoon segment.

4. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    I am starting to think that perhaps the best way for me to enjoy a "Saga" version is maybe III-VI, but then this is really the OT with ROTS as a sort of prologue. I do enjoy TPM though but it doesn't really fit in with this viewing of the series--i prefer to watch it more as a stand-alone film.

5. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I do watch the CW between II and III as well. If I'm going to watch the SAGA, I have to watch all the movies regardless of how I feel about certain weaknesses in certain episodes.

6. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    I must say, the O - OT is the only way for me. Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi: as far as I'm concerned, the three films tell a lean, tight, self-contained story that needs no supplement. That's what I see the Prequels as being, supplements that aren't necessary in telling a story that's stood for over twenty years. To me, they're optional pieces that really have no relevence to Star Wars.

7. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    If I am watching the entire Saga from I to VI, I prefer to watch all the newest 2004 editions of the OT. This way I feel like I get a more complete Saga.

However I am looking forward to getting the O-OT on dvd and plan on watching that version of the OT several times.

After we get the O-OT George can "correct" ;) the OT as much as he likes and I will welcome the changes, since I then have the original versions. And who knows, maybe George comes up with a couple of great ideas.

8. LukeCloudjogger

LukeCloudjogger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    Original "Star Wars".
    Original "The Empire Strikes Back".
    Original "Return of the Jedi".

That's it for me.

9. Darthdias

Darthdias Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 12, 2004
    The answer to this is not easy.

I watch the updated DVD version of ANH (since the image quality is so much greater), but minus the Jabba scene (I simply stopped recording during this scene when I taped it - I almost forgot it exists)

I don't like the new Boba voice in ESB, but since we're talking about wiewing them in order, the 2004 version makes the most sense, with Ian as Emperor.

With Return of the Jedi I watch the 97 special edition (I hate the orginal ewok song and love the new music, but I don't like Hayden in there. It may connect the trilogies but it's poorly done)

10. Malikail

Malikail Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    Version does not matter to me as much as order.

You just put them in the order i watch the movies, the order they were made in.

Lucas has not succeeded in making a 1-6 story in my oppinion, however he made an excellent 4-6 story with a very good SEQUAL trilogy that tells the backstory of the original.

I suppose i like the original of ANH, and SE of ESB and RotJ, I cannot get past a couple of the unnecessary and rather poorly done changes in ANH.

11. SweiitConcorkill

SweiitConcorkill Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 28, 2004
    No, MOST fans don't give two fo'shizzles about the O-OT.

MOST fans dig the PT and the SE. They could not care any less about the O-OT than they do about the next Star Trek movie.

Anyway, I like the PT + the SE-OT. However, if I could have a perfect world, I would have the O-OT cut of ANH (none of the added stuff) but with a cleaned up image and fixed special effects (like the lightsabers and the boxes around some of the elements). The ESB SE DVD edition is great (love the new emperor stuff) but I would love to see the lightsabers fixed to match in every scene). The ROTJ SE with fixed lightsabers would be fine... though, I can deal with Hayden at the end, if they reshoot it.

12. SweiitConcorkill

Aug 28, 2004
    As for order... this is the best:

1. TPM
    2. ANH
    3. AOTC
    4. ESB
    5. ROTS
    6. ROTJ

Each prequel and original compliments the next in line.

TPM and ANH both show two wide-eyed young kids becoming heroes, while an old and wise Jedi falls.

AOTC is a good next movie since it sets up the confrontation between Luke and Vader (imagine people who have never seen these movies watching them in this order), where nothing is revealed in AOTC about who Vader is or how he murders Anakin (should the viewer have watched ANH prior to it).

Then, ESB answers the question of what happened to Anakin/Vader... and ROTS shows you just how it happens. Then, when you have about lost hope, ROTJ comes along and ends it all on a positive note.

13. Master_Bauer

Master_Bauer Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2006
    TPM - DVD for the two extra scenes.

AotC - DVD

RotS - DVD

ANH - DVD I like all of the changes- yes even Greedo shoots first. And with the better quality it feels more like one movie with the prequels.

TESB - DVD better quality

RotJ - DVD better quality and I like the end music is better and I like Hayden in the ending- (I dont know-maybe its just me)[face_thinking]

14. SweiitConcorkill

Aug 28, 2004
    I don't dislike Hayden being at the end, but I do dislike that he wasn't told he was shooting the scene, and it shows.

15. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    I like all the changes on the SE DVD, I really can't think of any complaints about them?[face_thinking] I don't think I've watched my classic VHS versions since I bought the SE DVD.

If I ever just sit down and watch all six movies I will watch the classic trilogy first and then the prequels the first time at least.

THE PIED PIPER

16. JediRunner

JediRunner Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2005
    TPM
    ATOC
    Clone Wars Cartoon Vol. 1
    Clone Wars Cartoon Vol. 2
    RTOS
    ANH-SE
    ESB-SE
    RTOJ-SSE (With Hadyen and Naboo at the end) :)

17. Darth_BADLungs_Vader

Darth_BADLungs_Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2006
    A new hope
    The empire strikes back
    Return of the jedi

Dont care what format[face_plain] They are great on all formats/versions.

18. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Honestly, I don't watch the Saga in order. It's one of the view series I don't bother, because I've seen it so many times (at least the OT) that it doesn't really matter. I just go with whatever episode I'm in the mood for, and I don't have time to watch multiple in a row.

19. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I haven't actually done this yet, but if I were I would do it like so:

Episode I - DVD
    Episode II - DVD
    Episode III - DVD
    Episode IV - DVD (I really like the redone SFX, the second version of the Jabba scene, and I will sacrifice Han only shooting for that)
    Episode V - is a toss up. I like the added footage from '97, I like adding Ian in the DVD, but I'm not a huge fan of changing Boba's voice, but it's not a big deal. Any of the three versions would work, but '97 is probably #1.
    Episode VI - Either the original or the '97 SE. I like the Shaw ghost, either Ewok theme is passable as are the songs in Jabba's. So there we are.

20. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Latest versions for all.

21. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Which versions do you prefer watching when viewing the SAGA in order?

The most current versions.

On July 3rd, 2006 I watched all six of the STAR WARS episodes in order by episode number, each episode immediately following the previous episode. It was the first time I had done that and it was the DVD versions of each episode.

It was an absolutely great and an absolutely fun experience. :D :cool:

22. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002

I'm with Stryphe. However, I would like a chance to see them in order, and in their original form. My old OT VHS tapes are almost dead, so I haven't seen the original OT in a looooooong time.

23. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Scratch that. I prefer the theatrical version of Episode I. I like the shorter pod race.

24. pakatak

pakatak Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2002
    TPM- DVD, looks better. I can't wait til the cg yoda is included.

AotC- dvd

ROTS-DVD (then I usually watch ANH immediatly cause after Sith you really need some Hope)(How Ever If i had my choice i would have the HBO HD version stored on my TIvo, I have seen it once and It is really cool.)

ANH Most Current-The SE are what got me into Star Wars. It brings back the memories of seeing them in the theater during high school.

ESB-DVD its good, emperor is good.

ROTJ-Recording off of TV in 1986 The ads and everything really take me back to the time when I was a kid. just kidding, I watch the new one. I perfer the SE's, and I like hayden at the end.

25. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Oops. I goofed in my previous post in this thread. It was July 1rst, 2006 that I watched all six of the STAR WARS episodes in order by episode number, each episode immediately following the previous episode, not July 3rd, 2006. It was the first time I had done that and it was DVD versions of mine of each episode.

And as I said before, it was absolutely great and an absolutely fun experience. :D :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.