main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

which will be haled as the best trilogy ever: lord of the ring or the star wars OT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by youngboba9, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youngboba9

youngboba9 Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2003
    I'm a huge star wars fan, and have just begun to read the lotr books and to me, the lord of the rings movies seem to have that magical feeling that the old star wars films used to have and i was just wondering which trilogy you guys think will go down as the better of the two and the one more people will remember?

2. Gaeri

Gaeri Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 12, 2003
    I look at the fan following that Star Wars still has 25 years after it originally came out, and I can't help but think Star Wars will go down as the greatest trilogy remembered.

But me personally, I'll never choose between LotR and SW. They're both amazing, but different amazings.

3. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I'd say the SW OT.

The LOTR movies are based on books that have already stood the test of time as classics... the movies are riding on the books' coattails, whereas the SW OT became a classic all by itself, thank YOU very much.

And of course comparing the LOTR books to the SW movies would be comparing apples and oranges.

Rick McCallum loves you!

4. gator

gator Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2003
    I'd have to say the SW OT. As good as these LOTR films are, I can't see them being as loved and ingrained in popular culture as SW. The LOTR films are at their height of popularity right now, but I'm guessing most casual fans only know the character names Galdalf, Frodo and Gollum. 25 years after ANH, people still know Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Darth Vader, Chewbacca, C-3PO, R2-D2, Yoda, the Death Star, and Jabba the Hutt. There'd even be plenty of people who know Obi-Wan Kenobi, Lando Calrissian, Ewoks, Boba Fett, Millennium Falcoln, etc.

5. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    I don't think LoTR has reached an apex as far as popularity goes. I have a feeling these films will stand the test of time, just as the OT did.

I'll never compare them. They'll always have a special place in my DVD player(eventually) for years to come.

6. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    It's a tie between the two.

7. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    Best Trilogy: LOTR
    Best Sextoloy (is that how you spell it? :confused:): SW

:D

8. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    The LOTR movies are based on books that have already stood the test of time as classics... the movies are riding on the books' coattails, whereas the SW OT became a classic all by itself, thank YOU very much.

Very well stated, Adam.

To me, that's the biggest difference is that the LOTR films tell a 50-year-old story already detailed in long novels. The SW Trilogy had a more challenging task because the medium of film isn't as in-depth as the novel form.

SW all the way ;)

9. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    One thing is for certain; if Episode 3 doesn't pull off a miracle, LOTR and the OT will outlast the prequels.

10. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    The SW Trilogy had a more challenging task because the medium of film isn't as in-depth as the novel form.

Alternatively, you could say the visual medium conveys fantasy and adventure better, so it isn't as difficult for a movie to succeed.

11. Gaeri

Gaeri Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 12, 2003
    Alternatively, you could say the visual medium conveys fantasy and adventure better, so it isn't as difficult for a movie to succeed.

That, and the fact that so many people are too lazy to pick up a book, while going to movies takes no brain power.

12. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    In book form LOTR.

In movie form Star Wars OT.

:D

13. Vader666

Vader666 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 3, 2003
    The PT can beat LOTR anytime..

To answer the question: Definately Star Wars.

Simply the best villains, the best action, and the best drama.

14. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Much as I enjoy the prequels, the LOTR movies are far better.

Not sure when compared to the CT though.

15. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    TLOTR will be the greatest movie trilogy, because Star Wars is a hexology, not two trilogies.

16. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    The PT can beat LOTR anytime..

OT = LoTR > PT

I like TPM and AOTC, but LoTR is superior to both.

17. ValinFett21

ValinFett21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2003
    SW! Most people will still associate LOTR will Tolkien's novels, not the abriged movies.

And for all those critics out there.....If SW is cheesy, pay attention to the lines in LOTR, not just the scenery.
    "Oh Sam"
    "Let's hunt some Ork!"-one of my favorite lines
    "We shall ride together, one last time"

Come on now, these lines are classic but aren't any more or less chessy than SW.

"Bring them on, I prefer a straight fight"-another of my favorite lines
    "I can't believe he's gone"

"YeeHooooo"

18. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    I just watched TTT last night for the first time since I'd seen it in the Theater. It was better than I had remembered it but I can't help but cringe at the cheesy rewriting of some of the lines. Sam's: There's something worth fighting for! type junk that wasn't in Tolkien's novels make me almost blush they're so badly delivered and concieved.

People have said it before and I'll say it again. Star Wars is an original screenplay while the LotR movies are simply passable adaptations of incredible novels.

EDIT: implied swearing.

19. midthomp

midthomp Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2003
    I enjoy them both but it is hard to compare the two as they are two different styles of movie. I however like LOTR better.

20. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Bearing in mind LOTR sucks, SW! :p

21. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    As one who is also enjoying the PT, I say in the context of this dissussion, the CT will outlive the LOTR trilogy... the CT has become part of our combined heritage and culture and though people will say the same about LOTR, it will be in referance to the original books as apposed to the films.

22. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    They're both amazing, but different amazings.

That hits the nail right on the head. Different strokes for different folks, you could easily argue that one?s better/worse/they both suck - but in the end it comes down to personal preference. They're both amazingly done movies, but LOTR just doesn't entertain me or have the impact that SW does, so of course my opinion would be SW. But: it'll be different for everybody. :)

23. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I think the OT will remain the best trilogy ever due to how unique it was when it came out and how long it has endured.

24. redleader92055

redleader92055 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 9, 2003
    Starwars is better but not by far the LOTR is good but lacks that special feel to it.....i don't know i think its the music in starwars or something???? i personialy think starwars is way better? i think? im confused... :(

25. The___

The___ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    "TLOTR will be the greatest movie trilogy, because Star Wars is a hexology, not two trilogies."

I tend to see them as two trilogies. Mostly because I love the OT, while I cringe at the PT.

I love the LOTR movies as well as the SW OT.

If comparing the SW "hexology" with LOTR trilogy, I'd have to say LOTR soars above the other, purely because the first 2 (and possibly 3) episodes drag the quality of the entire saga down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.