main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which will win in the box office: PT or LOTR Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Jango10, Jul 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    TPM: $431,088,295

AOTC: $310,675,583

EpIII: ???

PT Total: $741,763,878

FOTR: $313,364,114

TTT: $339,628,782

ROTK: ???

LOTR Total: $652,992,896

When ROTK comes out it will most likely put LOTR in the lead. After EpIII is released which trilogy would have grossed the most money?

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Lucas has said that Episode III is not going to do well because it's so dark. He said it'd make about half what the others made.

I wouldn't be surprised if LOTR made more than the PT.

On the other hand, the PT is doing better money-wise against the Matrix movies and the Harry Potter movies, so I don't think Lucasfilm needs to worry too much about the silly 'franchise wars'.

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. Jango10

Sep 22, 2002
    ESB was Dark and it still made a lot of money.

4. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    When Episode III comes out mark my words when I say that it will break records with the Box Office. Every Star Wars fan alive would have to be in a coma to miss the last part of the Star Wars saga.

Heck, my expenses alone on watching the move a gabillion times will top LotR's total grossing. ;) :p

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

5. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    This should be a tight one. As KK said, Ep. III, despite Lucas' claims, should be an absolute smash at the box office. Ditto RotK. St the moment, the PT is slightly ahead, but RotK's coming out at the end of the year, which will give the lead to the LOTR. It all depends, pretty mcuh, on how Ep. III does in comparison to RotK.

Me? My money's on PT. :)

6. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    Lucas later retracted his statement on Episode III making hardly any money after the cynical backlash of TPM.

He recently said that "it should go very well in the 21st century."

7. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    The PT will win the box office competition. ROTK will likely make about the same as FOTR and TTT and would need to make 90 million more than Ep III. I just can't see that happening.

8. Corran10584

Corran10584 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 8, 2002
    Well, you also have to take into consideration how much movie ticket prices will rise between the release of RotK and Episode III. At the nearest theater to my house, regular tickets, right now, are $8.00. I wouldn't be surprised to see tickets raised to $10 by the time Episode III is released. This will have a large effect on the amount the movie makes.

9. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

I'm not really worried about Box Office Taking and Franchise rivalries. At the end of the day, what does it matter?

We know that both of them are (most probably) going to to well. What does it matter that one does slightly better than the other?

(Although it is good to see how strong the Prequels are thus far).

10. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    I think The PT will win, possibly with Ep3 alone

11. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    It's hard to say. It all depends on the final episodes of each trilogy. Oddly enough, the final episodes of both the PT and LOTR are the most anticipated, so it should be interesting to see how well each trilogy holds up in the end.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter. Both trilogies will go down as the biggest money makers of all time either way :D

12. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Okay-
    According to Boxofficemojo here are the worldwide grosses, in $millions:

Harry Potter 1 : 955.8
    Harry Potter 2 : 869.4
    Total : 1825.2

LOTR : 862.2
    TTT : 918.4
    Total : 1780.6

TPM: 925.6
    AOTC:648.3
    Total: 1573.9

So in fact HP is in the lead. Altho LOTR is the one where it's sequel did better, so I would predict that LOTR would win after 3 films of each franchise are out.

g

13. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    LOTR and Harry Potter have huge support worldwide, wheras Star Wars has always been strongest in the US.

In fact, the 5 films so far in the SW saga have made more in the US than any other franchise, even including all the James Bond films.

So long as Ep3 is a good film, that's all that counts.

14. DARTHVADER_ANAKIN

DARTHVADER_ANAKIN Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 28, 2003
    The Prequel Trilogy will make more! It can't be too dark? If it is as dark as TESB, then it will not be dark at all!!!!!!!

15. Jango10

Sep 22, 2002
    my numbers were only US grosses i got from Yahoo Movies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.