Discussion Which Writers are 'Real' Writers? - A Blog entry by Aaron Allston

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade, Oct 15, 2011.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. mavjade It's so Fluffy Fanfic & New Movies Manager

Manager
    star 5
    I thought this was an interesting and relevant blog post because not only is it written by Star Wars author Aaron Allston but it discusses his thoughts on some established authors opinions that Fanfic, Media tie-in and self-published authors are not real writers.

Check out Withholding the Love.

[image=http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e272/mavjade/AaronAllstonFacePalm.jpg]
    Aaron Allston *facepalm*

If you ever get the chance to hear him speak about writing, do it! He's hilarious and a wealth of information!

2. LLL Force Ghost

star 4
  3. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    Kids these days. No respect for their elders. Get off my damned lawn.

As a 30-year-old fogey, I share the sentiment. XD

Good to see that Allston has some love for the fanfic writer. And really, established authors should, as many of their own got their start in fanfiction. Peter David, author of novels, comics, and TV, wrote fanfiction. One of his fanfics is around somewhere, The TARDIS at Pooh Corner.
  4. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Thanks for that!

I agree with him, fanfics are like zombie movies, some are good, some are bad, they all have their faults but we read them because we can put aside the occasional bad characterization or poorly done scene because we like reading them and they fill our want.
  5. Goodwood Force Ghost

star 4
    I can't help but wonder what he thinks of Karen Traviss -- both from the perspective of her original and tie-in fiction and having worked with her in a collaborative effort.

Not that he would ever tell me...
  6. Etain Jedi Knight

star 3
    I like his attitude.
    Not that I can share it for me personally. Considering me a 'real' author unpublished would rob me of my motivation to keep pursuing that. :oops:

I can't tell how much I agree with the quality factor of stories in general. I read a lot of sci-fi during summer and often thought that I have read better fanfics. Oh well, Sturgeons Law... ;)
  7. Goodwood Force Ghost

star 4
    What is this Sturgeon's Law?

I've never heard of it...
  8. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    In terms of franchise or tie-in fiction... One's view of the "quality" of it would more depend on what one likes and expects to see. Nine time out of ten, one will not get Dickens. However, one could also be pleasantly surprised, and one may just sit back and enjoy the ride that franchise fiction has to offer. I know I do. I don't go in expecting solid gold; I go in to be entertained. And more often than not, I am entertained. Therefore, the author did exactly what I expected he or she to do. And really, what more could you want as an author?

Fame and fortune is nice, but really. I'm just happy to know that the reader is entertained.
  9. Etain Jedi Knight

star 3
  10. karebear214 Force Ghost

star 4
    Great blog post, thanks for sharing it! And yes... Sturgeon's Law. *shrugs* Just up to us to find the 10%
  11. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    Whoa, wonderful essay. =D= Interesting perspective to look at where fanfic might be in a hundred years.
  12. kataja Force Ghost

star 4
    What a positive article! Allston makes some great points here and once again confirms my impression of him as a solid, down-on-earth person.
  13. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    Aaron Allston wrote a wonderful essay.

Really, why criticize anything that encourages young people to write? In this day and age where my son's writing looks like "OMG LMAO STBY BF BCNU!", I would think writers would love to see people writing in complete sentences. People who write are often people who read for pleasure. I think if it wasn't for fanfiction I may have given up on the SW profic novels. But I have to read everything so I can continue to write in the After the Saga Era accurately. Writing promotes reading and that means profits for professional authors.

Allston sounds like a great guy.
  14. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    I could decipher perhaps half of that example of your son's communication. And that said, I definitely agree; keep 'em writing fanfiction. Keep 'em writing complete sentences. That could be a rally cry, much like the "Keep 'Em Flying!" motto during WWII.

Keep 'em writing!

Else, we'll just continue to watch the steady decline in language. And that makes me very sad indeed... particularly when I use some archaic words that no one is able to determine their meanings just by the context in which they are used. I've confused people with "pertinent"! PERTINENT!
  15. CelseteAntola TF.N Books Staff

VIP
    star 3
    This was a great article. I have to agree with him, especially since I've read so much fan fiction that is better than pro-fic. There have been a good number of times that I've turned to fan-fic when the pro-fic was just awful, because the fan fiction had better characterizations and a more entertaining storyline.

Thanks for sharing!

~Celeste
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade