main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends While She Sleeps... (Post NJO- Drama, Horror, Suspense- J/J, Kyp, L/M, Tahiri, Jacen) UPDATED 10/3

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by CelseteAntola, Jul 16, 2011.

1. CelseteAntola

CelseteAntola TF.N Books Staff star 3 VIP

May 18, 2002
    Title: While She Sleeps...
    Author: CelseteAntola
    Timeframe: Post-NJO
    Genre: Drama, Horror, Suspense
    Characters: Jaina Solo, Jagged Fel, Kyp Durron and others...
    Summary: Jaina Solo is plagued by repetitive, horrifying dreams. Do they mean nothing or are they from the Force?

PM List:
    YodaKenobi
    Luna_Nightshade
    TwinsinsThlee
    Kailene

----

The blinding brilliance was flickering and fading...

And with it so was her sense of perception...

Pain.

It tore through everything, eclipsing the dim light, the last remnants of the scintillating brilliance of moments before.

Heat.

That, too, came in waves, but the pain won out, stealing away any other sensation than its constant, blinding agony.

The world went black and she ceased to be.

A voice, familiar, triumphant: "This is our chance!"

Another, gruff, alien: "Move the body! Careful!"

The shock of agony through the previous numbness...

The world goes white.

Sounds only now, sight has forsaken her.

Guttural shouts... percussive, deafening rumbles that could only be explosions... a voice, different, but once more a familiar one, screaming in rage...

Then silence as the world fades away again.

Cold.

The world is hard and cold.

No sounds, no sight. Only the unforgiving chill that penetrates her.

Or is it cold? Maybe she just can't feel at all...

Terror.

What is feeling?

Who am I?

Trying to grasp that thought sends her spiralling back into the darkness.

Eyes open to find all is black.

No.

Not black. Not dark. Just dim.

Pain again... hovering at the edges of her thoughts, caging her in, suffocating her, keeping her from grasping truly lucid thought...

From knowing who she is... what she is...

Something slim and narrow hovers into sight, unidentifiable in the murkiness.

Voices, muffled, just out of ear shot.

A word.

"Escape."

A face, dark, featureless looms into view.

The tattered lips move, shaping words: "He will live."

The slim object comes nearer, a needle, and presses to her temple.

A cry. Her own?

The universe vanishes completely.

Lieutenant Jaina Solo awoke suddenly, bathed in a cold sweat.

Her breath came in ragged pants and her hand pressed to her racing heart, a subconscious action to reassure herself that she was really there.

That she was awake, and that she had only been dreaming.

Beside her, her bed-partner stirred.

"You okay?"

"Yeah. Yes. I'm fine."

She laid back down as her partner rolled over and went back to sleep.

She, however, didn't close her eyes again until the first hints of dawn lightened the morning sky.

----

2. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Great post, Celsete =D= I love the stream-of-consciousness style here. It works really well for a dream like this, and it read like poetry to me. You did a great job conveying some very vivid impressions with it. I have no idea what to make of this at this point [face_thinking] Right now, the lines that stick out to me are "Move the body" and "he will live," though I'm not really certain of what any of it means :p

Looking forward to more. Please PM me when you update :D

3. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008

Interesting opening, Celeste. :) Vague, but intriguing foreshadowing (I've never been a fan of Force-visions that reveal too much information) ... [face_thinking]

Although I do wonder whose body was being referred to ... o_O

- Later, [face_peace]
    Onderon1

4. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    I personally thought she was dreaming of her grandfather...

Love the descriptions! That would indeed be a disturbing night. Great start... (at first I thought it was a standalone vignette, but now there's definitely more to it.) Pms when you update?

5. CelseteAntola

May 18, 2002
    Time for some replies! :)

Yobi- Congrats on nabbing first! :p

Great post, Celsete

Thank you very much! [face_blush]

I love the stream-of-consciousness style here. It works really well for a dream like this, and it read like poetry to me. You did a great job conveying some very vivid impressions with it.

I'm really glad that it worked for you. I'd been worried that it was a bit one-dimensional...

I have no idea what to make of this at this point Right now, the lines that stick out to me are "Move the body" and "he will live," though I'm not really certain of what any of it means

Good! :p You're not the only one who can keep readers in the dark... ;) Speaking of which, I have another fic to update, too... :oops:

Looking forward to more. Please PM me when you update

Will do! Thanks and thanks for reading!! :D

O- Interesting opening, Celeste.

Thanks very much! :)

Vague, but intriguing foreshadowing (I've never been a fan of Force-visions that reveal too much information) ...

Ditto on that sentiment! ;)

Although I do wonder whose body was being referred to ...

Hmm... [face_thinking] We'll have to see about that, I think...

Thanks for reading and replying! [face_peace]

Luna_Nightshade- I personally thought she was dreaming of her grandfather...

This isn't a bad guess... [face_shhh]

Love the descriptions! That would indeed be a disturbing night. Great start... (at first I thought it was a standalone vignette, but now there's definitely more to it.) Pms when you update?

Oh, yes, there's definitely more! [face_devil]

I'll add you to the list!

Thanks for reading and replying!

----

I'm gonna try and keep this fic to a schedule if at all possible. I don't know how long or involved it may become, but I've already got a good amount written. Look for an update on Friday!

~Celeste

6. CelseteAntola

May 18, 2002
    Friday already! And time for a new post!

Hope everyone is keeping cool in this ridiculous heat wave...

~Celeste

----

"You look terrible, Solo."

Jaina scowled at her second-in-command as she poured herself a cup of caf in the pilot's lounge.

"Thanks for stating the obvious," she growled, irritated at Jedi Master Kyp Durron's bright grin. She hadn't had enough caf to deal with his nonsense.

He stepped closer and leaned down. "Has a... ahem... certain Imperial been keeping you up?" he whispered innocently, although his green eyes sparkled mischievously.

Jaina rolled her eyes. "Hardly." She braced herself and took a sip of the bitter sludge in her mug.

Kyp laughed and then crossed his arms over his chest. "Well, you know, if he's not meeting the minimum criteria, you could have him replaced. A Goddess shouldn't have to deal with subpar performance..."

Jaina rewarded him with her best imitation of her mother's death glare.

"Fine, fine," Kyp capitulated, stepping away from her and holding his hands up in surrender. "I'll, uh, get the squadron started on their sims." He turned to the other pilots, all of whom promptly pretended not to have been listening. "Let's move it guys. Her worshipfulness wants some time to herself before dealing with you lot."

Jaina shook her head in exasperation, but shot Kyp a thankful look as he herded the rest of the squadron out of the lounge.

He winked back. "Don't take too long," he teased. "I might get bored."

Jaina waved him off and then sank down onto the lounge?s flowform couch.

She cradled the mug of caf in her hands, enjoying the warmth that radiated through to her fingers, and sat lost in thought.

She was having a hard time remembering her dream. It hadn't been the first time she'd awoken with that particular feeling of fright, or the sensation that she'd had that dream before.

However, try as she might, details of the subconscious imagery that had interrupted her sleep eluded her.

Still she couldn't shake the feeling that there was something important about her dream.

"A credit for your thoughts?"

Jaina looked up to find Jagged Fel standing in the doorway to the lounge.

"Jag," she smiled, "don't you have a squadron to be looking after?"

He nodded. "I do," he said casually, stepping into the room and moving to the sofa. "I have a few free minutes, though, and I wanted to see how you were doing."

"Fine," she answered before taking another sip of her caf.

Jag raised an eyebrow at her. "You sure? You've been waking up a lot lately-- not going back to sleep either-- and if I'm honest with you," he sat down beside her, "you look like hell."

Jaina swatted at his shoulder in annoyance, but Jag caught her hand and began to gently massage it. "I just want to make sure you're really okay, Jaina," he said softly, his eyes searching her face.

Her own gaze fell to her mug of caf and she felt warmth touch her cheeks as she blushed. "I'm fine, I really am." She looked up at Jag and smiled. "I'm just stressed about the upcoming reviews is all."

"You're sure that's all?" he asked, his fingers lacing with hers now.

"I'm sure," she nodded. "Nothing to worry about."

"Well, if that's all," he leaned over and kissed her forehead, "then I'm just going to have to work harder to relieve some of that stress."

Jaina chuckled and sighed, leaning her head on Jag's strong shoulder. "Thanks."

"Anytime."

Curious, Jaina craned her neck to look at Jag. "Do I really look that bad?"

Jag looked down at her and winked. "Yeah. Should we lay off some of the evening's activities?"

Jaina groaned.

"What?" Jag asked, confused.

She sighed in exasperation. "Nothing... I just hate it when Kyp's right about something..."

----

7. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Congrats on nabbing first!

[face_dancing]

I'm really glad that it worked for you. I'd been worried that it was a bit one-dimensional...

I didn't think so, but it's possible it worked for me because I am one-dimensional too [face_thinking]

Okay, on to the new one...

First again! [face_cowboy]

Hope everyone is keeping cool in this ridiculous heat wave...

Some of us are just naturally cool :cool:

... Okay, :-B

He stepped closer and leaned down. "Has a... ahem... certain Imperial been keeping you up?"

lol

However, try as she might, details of the subconscious imagery that had interrupted her sleep eluded her.
    Still she couldn't shake the feeling that there was something important about her dream.

Me too [face_thinking] I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it was probably one of those prophetic Jedi dreams. [face_mischief] Although I also think it's possible Jaina was seeing something that has already happened or was happening while she dreamed it.

Jag raised an eyebrow at her. "You sure? You've been waking up a lot lately-- not going back to sleep either-- and if I'm honest with you," he sat down beside her, "you look like hell."

Damn, Jaina's going to develop a complex if this keeps up :p

Her own gaze fell to her mug of caf and she felt warmth touch her cheeks as she blushed. "I'm fine, I really am." She looked up at Jag and smiled. "I'm just stressed about the upcoming reviews is all."
    "You're sure that's all?" he asked, his fingers lacing with hers now.
    "I'm sure," she nodded. "Nothing to worry about."

Good to see Jaina hiding the truth about what she's going through from everyone as usual. That always helps 8-}

Curious, Jaina craned her neck to look at Jag. "Do I really look that bad?"
    Jag looked down at her and winked. "Yeah. Should we lay off some of the evening's activities?"
    Jaina groaned.
    "What?" Jag asked, confused.
    She sighed in exasperation. "Nothing... I just hate it when Kyp's right about something..."

[face_laugh]

Poor Jag :p

A good start, Celsete. I like that Jaina's still in the dark about her dream and is just left with bad feelings over it. I think it will be fun watching her discover what it's all about. I enjoyed the interaction between her and Kyp and Jag as well. Can't wait for more :D

8. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    I disagree... surely the, em, 'evening activities' are helping relieve stress, not compounding it...? ;)

Looking forward to more!

9. Luna_Nightshade

Jan 25, 2006
    :D

Love Kyp's teasing in this...and hoping that we find out more about her crazy dreams! Great update.

10. CelseteAntola

May 18, 2002
    Time for replies! :D

Yobi- I didn't think so, but it's possible it worked for me because I am one-dimensional too

Somehow I doubt that, considering the complexity of the stuff you write... :p

First again!

Congrats! ;)

Some of us are just naturally cool

o_O Some of us have ego issues... *discreet point at Wes*

... Okay, :-B

Ah, yes. That's better. ;)

Me too [face_thinking] I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it was probably one of those prophetic Jedi dreams. Although I also think it's possible Jaina was seeing something that has already happened or was happening while she dreamed it.

[face_thinking] You may be on to something...

Damn, Jaina's going to develop a complex if this keeps up

[face_laugh]

Good to see Jaina hiding the truth about what she's going through from everyone as usual. That always helps

Well, come now, you wouldn't have me writing her OOC, would you? o_O

Poor Jag

[face_devil]

A good start, Celsete.

Thanks so much! :)

I like that Jaina's still in the dark about her dream and is just left with bad feelings over it. I think it will be fun watching her discover what it's all about.

I'm not sure about fun... it may be a bit scary... [face_worried]

I enjoyed the interaction between her and Kyp and Jag as well. Can't wait for more

:D That trio is so much fun to write!

Thanks for reading and replying!!

LexiLupin- I disagree... surely the, em, 'evening activities' are helping relieve stress, not compounding it...?

[face_laugh] Perhaps it's relieving stress, but I don't think Jaina's getting much sleep as a consequence. :p

Looking forward to more!

Thanks! And thanks for reading! :)

Luna_Nightshade- Love Kyp's teasing in this...

Can you tell I love him? ;)

and hoping that we find out more about her crazy dreams! Great update.

Thanks! And thanks for replying! :D

----

Okay, new update is ready to go for tomorrow and we'll get to see a bit more of what's "going on." I can't promise that it'll make sense, though. :p

~Celeste

11. CelseteAntola

May 18, 2002
    ----

The shrill scream of an alarm interrupted her peaceful solitude, pulling her out of the bliss of unconsciousness.

Pain flooded back to her, racking the very fibre of her being. There wasn?t a single cell in her body that didn?t feel raw and throbbing in agony.

Her mind was heavy with the cloying claustrophobia of her pain, unable to push it away, unable to ignore it, unable to escape it. She wanted to writhe and thrash against it, kick it away from her like a heavy blanket. But even that desire, that primal need, was denied her, her synapses misfiring even as the thoughts formed, scattering the commands and impulses to oblivion.

She couldn?t even open her oppressively heavy eyelids or make a scream rip through her inflamed throat. All she could do was mentally rage against her pain and endure the agony of the siren echoing over and over against her sensitive eardrums.

And suddenly she was choking, as a thick, viscous liquid sloshed over her face, depriving her of air, and the world around her shook, jarring her flayed nerve endings.

Something jerked her out of the gelatinous substance that she realized she was submersed in and an ungentle hand shoved something down her throat. Abraded tissue was penetrated harshly and million pinpricks of burning agony attacked her overloaded mind.

Just as her consciousness drifted back to the deep darkness, she realised that she could breathe again...

?Jaina! Jaina!? Jag?s frantic cries pulled Jaina out of her dreams, and she realised that someone else was screaming, too.

They were screams of terror and pain... belatedly, she realised that they were her own...

And then she stopped struggling against Jag?s hold on her, and began to sob.

Jag didn?t say anything at all. He just held her close and let her cry. She buried her face in his chest, grateful for the warmth and closeness of his skin against hers, and tried to calm her raging fears.

Her comlink on the nightstand started beeping and Jaina tried to pull away from Jag.

?No, leave it,? he soothed. ?It can wait.?

?No. It?s Kyp. I have to explain...? She blindly reached out for the comlink, tears still obscuring her vision.

?I?ll talk to him.? Jag grabbed the communications device before her fingers found it and answered. ?Jag here.?

?Fel. Where?s Jaina?? There was a dangerous edge to his voice that matched the panic in his approaching Force aura.

?She?s here, Kyp. She?s fine. Just a bad dream.?

?That?s some hell of a bad dream, Fel. Every Jedi on the planet had to feel her distress,? he growled back, angry and concerned. Jaina felt him reach out to her through their bond and she shut herself off, frustrated that he felt it his place to watch out for her, but not before letting him know she was all right.

?Do you want to talk to her? Will that make you feel better?? Jag practically snapped into the receiver.

?Yes. Yes, I would,? was the Jedi Master?s cold reply.

Jaina took a deep breath before taking the comlink from Jag, noting the stony expression on the Imperial pilot?s face. Clearly he didn?t like Kyp?s protective concern either.

?Jaina??

?I?m here, Kyp. I?m fine.?

?Jaina...?

?It was just a bad dream, Kyp. Nothing to get excited over.?

?Yeah, that?s what Fel said. I?m not sure I believe either of you,? he sighed heavily. ?Do you have any idea what you were broadcasting!??

Jaina frowned. ?I have a good idea,? she said dryly. ?I?m sorry that I let that through the bond...?

?It?s not the only thing you?ve let through,? was his muttered reply and Jaina could sense the barest hint of frustration.

?What does that mean!?? she demanded, looking at Jag suddenly. He looked back at her questioningly, and laid a hand on her thigh to express his concern.

?Nothing,? Kyp replied sullenly. ?Look, if you?re really okay, I?ll head back to my end of the barracks.?

?Yes, Kyp. I?m fine,? she assured him, and she was being honest. Her heart rate had slowed down to a normal pace and her eyes were dry. Most importantly, the overwhelming sense of terror had faded away to a faint memory.

?Okay.

12. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    [face_worried]

Oh dear. Poor Jaina. Poor Jag. Poor Kyp.

Are we going to get any idea soon about what the hell is going on? :p

I'm incredibly curious about what else Jaina is broadcasting in the Force... [face_thinking]

Can't wait for more!

13. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Some of us have ego issues... *discreet point at Wes*

I don't have issues with my ego. I'm smart enough to be scared of something that big.

Well, come now, you wouldn't have me writing her OOC, would you?

Not at all, that's what I meant. She's doing the typical Jaina thing :D

I'm not sure about fun... it may be a bit scary...

Well, fun for me as a reader :p

That trio is so much fun to write!

It's a good group. Zekk has been growing on me lately too, more in retrospect. I used to think he was sort of pathetic :p

Her mind was heavy with the cloying claustrophobia of her pain, unable to push it away, unable to ignore it, unable to escape it. She wanted to writhe and thrash against it, kick it away from her like a heavy blanket. But even that desire, that primal need, was denied her, her synapses misfiring even as the thoughts formed, scattering the commands and impulses to oblivion.

This is so beautifully written =D= Love it :D

And suddenly she was choking, as a thick, viscous liquid sloshed over her face, depriving her of air, and the world around her shook, jarring her flayed nerve endings.
    Something jerked her out of the gelatinous substance that she realized she was submersed in and an ungentle hand shoved something down her throat. Abraded tissue was penetrated harshly and million pinpricks of burning agony attacked her overloaded mind.

Yuuzhan Vong gnullith, maybe? An Ooglith masquer? Or maybe just a bacta tank? Hmmm, I'm not sure, but I'm getting a sudden Vong vibe from this stuff.

?No. It?s Kyp. I have to explain...? She blindly reached out for the comlink, tears still obscuring her vision.

Interesting [face_thinking] Me thinks Jaina has feelings for Kyp in this one and is unhappy with this Jag.

?That?s some hell of a bad dream, Fel. Every Jedi on the planet had to feel her distress,? he growled back, angry and concerned. Jaina felt him reach out to her through their bond and she shut herself off, frustrated that he felt it his place to watch out for her, but not before letting him know she was all right.

Yep, Jaina and Kyp must have quite a connection for him to have felt that.

?It?s not the only thing you?ve let through,? was his muttered reply and Jaina could sense the barest hint of frustration.

[face_thinking]

Ah, the mystery builds [face_mischief] Good post, Celsete :D Another weird dream for Jaina with some interesting puzzle pieces. She was in a lot of pain and the thing being forced down her throat makes me think of the gnullith, so I'm going with Yuuzhan Vong here, though I'm not sure how you're going to work them into the story. Maybe I'm way off here... I notice this is Post-NJO though, rather than LotF or FotJ, and you haven't actually put a year on when this story is taking place. So if it's right after the Vong War, maybe there is some relevance there.

I'll have to wait and see I guess. Anyway, it was really well-written, and I love your descriptions in the dream sequence :D Great work!

14. eliza86

eliza86 Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2010
    I love it!

I love how Kyp is always protective of Jaina.[face_dancing]
    Im gonna need more!!

15. Luna_Nightshade

Jan 25, 2006
    That was quite a dream... and I find it sweet that Kyp called after feeling what was going on. I hope we find out soon what is going on with her dreams! Great update.

16. CelseteAntola

May 18, 2002
    It's that time again! Replies!!! :D

LexiLupin- Oh dear. Poor Jaina. Poor Jag. Poor Kyp.

I know... :(

Are we going to get any idea soon about what the hell is going on?

Maaaybe... :p

I'm incredibly curious about what else Jaina is broadcasting in the Force...

[face_batting]

Can't wait for more!

Thanks! And thanks for reading and replying!

Yobi- I don't have issues with my ego. I'm smart enough to be scared of something that big.

[face_laugh] Touché.

Not at all, that's what I meant. She's doing the typical Jaina thing

Oh, good. You had me worried there for a bit... ;)

Well, fun for me as a reader

And he scores again! :p Although... should I find it creepy that you like reading creepy stuff? o_O

It's a good group. Zekk has been growing on me lately too, more in retrospect. I used to think he was sort of pathetic

I blame lack of character development. I swear, I've learned to like some characters better because of how they're written in fan fiction. And then I read the novels and I'm like "... Damn." [face_plain]

This is so beautifully written Love it

[face_blush] Thanks...

Yuuzhan Vong gnullith, maybe? An Ooglith masquer? Or maybe just a bacta tank? Hmmm, I'm not sure, but I'm getting a sudden Vong vibe from this stuff.

[face_thinking] You may be on to something...

Interesting Me thinks Jaina has feelings for Kyp in this one and is unhappy with this Jag.

Umm... I wouldn't say that, exactly. I'm not sure myself yet where Jaina's at and I have no definite plans for her romantic relationships in this one... We'll see where the story takes me...

Yep, Jaina and Kyp must have quite a connection for him to have felt that.

Well, they do have a Master/Apprentice bond, tenuous though it may be...

Ah, the mystery builds Good post, Celsete Another weird dream for Jaina with some interesting puzzle pieces. She was in a lot of pain and the thing being forced down her throat makes me think of the gnullith, so I'm going with Yuuzhan Vong here, though I'm not sure how you're going to work them into the story. Maybe I'm way off here... I notice this is Post-NJO though, rather than LotF or FotJ, and you haven't actually put a year on when this story is taking place. So if it's right after the Vong War, maybe there is some relevance there.

*nods* We'll get a more definite bead on the timeline in the next chapter. :D Good guesses, though. :p

I'll have to wait and see I guess. Anyway, it was really well-written, and I love your descriptions in the dream sequence Great work!

[face_blush] Thanks so much! Thanks for reading!! :D

eliza86- Welcome!!

I love it!

Thanks! :)

I love how Kyp is always protective of Jaina.

I think Han would kill him if he wasn't. :p

Im gonna need more!!

Ask and you shall receive... the new post will be up today! :D

Thanks for reading and replying!!

Luna_Nightshade- That was quite a dream... and I find it sweet that Kyp called after feeling what was going on. I hope we find out soon what is going on with her dreams! Great update.

All will be revealed in time... ;)

Thanks for reading!! :D

----

Okay, update today as planned. I've written pretty far ahead with this one, so a certain *cough*someone's*cough* lack of a new post won't hinder my Muse for too much longer... :p

In this next one, we'll get some new characters as well as a more definite sense of where this piece falls out in the timeline. Hope you all enjoy it!

~Celeste

17. CelseteAntola

May 18, 2002
    ----

Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker leaned back in his chair and sighed, steepling his fingers and resting his chin on them. He gazed across at his wife, Mara Jade-Skywalker, who was slowly pacing the width of his office, their young son, Ben, asleep on her shoulder.

?What do you think?? he asked, feeling the thoughtful concern in his wife?s aura.

She stopped pacing for a moment. ?I don?t know, Luke. It could be multiple things...? Ben shifted in Mara?s arms and she started moving again, not wanting to interrupt one of the toddler?s rare afternoon naps.

Luke couldn?t help the feeling of contentment that crept over him as he watched his wife and their son. It seemed almost surreal that they had made it though the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, especially after some of the more harrowing events they had endured. Mara?s illness, Ben?s kidnapping, the countless battles that very nearly killed them both...

He smiled fondly at them as Mara ran her hand over Ben?s copper hair and kissed his forehead.

?Here, I?ll take him,? he offered, rising from his chair and opening his arms to accept the sleeping little boy from his wife.

?He?s growing so quickly,? Mara commented as Luke settled Ben in his arms, a wistful look in her green eyes.

?Yeah,? he breathed, wrapping his free arm around his wife?s waist and loving the quiet serenity of their closeness.

Mara laughed quietly. ?Soon enough he?ll be a teenager and causing all sorts of trouble.?

?Hey now, not so fast. I?ve already got enough grey in my hair. Can we keep him little for awhile??

Mara grinned wickedly. ?I kinda like those grey hairs, Farmboy. They make you look wiser,? she stepped back to survey him. ?Yep. Definitely tones down the wide-eyed innocence.?

Luke chuckled and shook his head at her. ?Are you trying to tell me that I should figure this out on my own??

?What, you mean Jaina?? Mara?s expression grew thoughtful again and Luke pulled her close.

?I think I need your help on this one, Jade. She was your Apprentice, after all.?

?See? What did I say? You?re definitely wiser with those grey hairs,? Mara snarked, not unkindly. She leaned over and kissed him gently. ?In all seriousness, though, I?m not sure what to think.?

Mara detached herself from him and started pacing again. As much as he liked having her in his arms, Luke knew enough not to stop her. Somehow movement facilitated her thought processes rather than the quiet meditation that usually helped him. So, he rested his cheek against Ben?s soft hair and watched his wife work.

?I?m not sure I like the fact that Durron was the one to call in with this,? she said after a moment, a scowl creasing her brow.

?Jaina was his Apprentice, too, Mara. Even if only for a short time,? he reminded her gently.

?I know,? she sighed, ?but why did he call it in? Why didn?t Jaina? Or Jag for that matter, if I?ve been reading the situation correctly? It doesn?t make sense.?

?Yes, it does.?

Mara stopped pacing to focus her stare on him, her eyebrows raised.

?Jaina?s like you, Mara. If she?s really struggling with something, she?s not going to admit it easily. Kyp?s felt her distress, Jag hasn?t. Jag will trust Jaina?s assurances that she?s fine, but Kyp--?

?--won?t buy it. He?ll see through it,? Mara finished musingly. ?I guess I?ve got to give him credit for going behind her back like this,? she admitted, ?even if I don?t like it.?

Luke nodded. ?Yes, but this still doesn?t solve our problem. Is Jaina just dealing with the post-war stress and the separation from her family? Or is there something more serious going on? Something we should pay personal attention to??

Mara laughed. ?Now you?re getting ahead of yourself, Farmboy.?

?I am?? Luke asked, adjusting his hold on his sleeping son.

Mara sauntered back over to him. ?Mmhmm... If your implication that Jaina is my clone is correct, we?ll let Durron handle it. Clearly, he?s still got a bond with her and he?s worried enough that he contacted us--?

?Which is my point exactly--?

?Hush.? Mara placed a finger on his lips. ?That being said, I thi

18. TwinsinsThlee

TwinsinsThlee Jedi Padawan

Jul 1, 2011
    This is getting pretty juicy! I want in! Can you put me on the PM list?

Thanks!;)

19. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    And he scores again! Although... should I find it creepy that you like reading creepy stuff?

Not as creepy as the fact that I wear a Darth Vader helmet and cape while I do it.

I blame lack of character development. I swear, I've learned to like some characters better because of how they're written in fan fiction. And then I read the novels and I'm like "... Damn."

Yeah, there really hasn?t been much going on with the side characters since the NJO ended :(

Well, they do have a Master/Apprentice bond, tenuous though it may be...

Yeah, that's a good point. I really like the end of Dark Journey when Kyp sort of helps Jaina back from the dark side. Too bad their informal master/apprentice thing didn't go on a bit longer.

Okay, now on to the new post...

Mara laughed quietly. ?Soon enough he?ll be a teenager and causing all sorts of trouble.?

She should read LotF.

Mara grinned wickedly. ?I kinda like those grey hairs, Farmboy. They make you look wiser,? she stepped back to survey him. ?Yep. Definitely tones down the wide-eyed innocence.?

Lol

Luke nodded. ?Yes, but this still doesn?t solve our problem. Is Jaina just dealing with the post-war stress and the separation from her family? Or is there something more serious going on? Something we should pay personal attention to??

Yeah, I think this is bigger than Jaina's PTSD, given what we've seen of her dreams. I'm not sure how much the Skywalkers or anyone else can do for her at this point though [face_thinking]

?Hush.? Mara placed a finger on his lips. ?That being said, I think we can trust him to keep an eye on things. If you get involved at this point, Jaina?s just going to shut down and we?ll never get to the bottom of this.?
    Luke?s mouth formed an ?O? beneath Mara?s touch, but she didn?t lift her finger.
    ?Therefore, Grand Master Skywalker, my advice is to let it play out on its own and we can step in at the opportune moment, if necessary.?

It makes sense, though they'll probably regret it later :p

?Find a place to put down our son and I?ll gladly educate you, Farmboy...?
    ?As you wish.?

What are they going to do? Study holocrons or something?

Another good post, Celsete :D I wonder how Mara and Luke will fit into this [face_thinking] Obviously, they're going to take a back seat for now, but the fact we're even seeing them here makes me think that Mara's "opportune moment" will come along at some point...

I really enjoyed the dialogue and the interraction between Luke and Mara. You definitely write Mara well :D

Looking forward to next Friday's post :)

20. Kailene

Kailene Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2009
    Oh, I definetly need in on this...add me to your PM list please.

This is great! [face_love] I'm loving the stream of consciousness that you do with Jaina's force(?)dreams, and can't wait to see where they go. Protective Kyp is great...even if he if annoying Jag with it (which is also entertaining:p )

21. CelseteAntola

May 18, 2002
    Wow... I can't believe it's already time for another post... [face_hypnotized]

Replies first!!

Twinsinsthlee- Welcome and great screen name! ;)

This is getting pretty juicy! I want in! Can you put me on the PM list?

I'm glad you're enjoying it! :D You'll be added for sure!

Thanks!

Thanks for reading and replying!

Wes- Not as creepy as the fact that I wear a Darth Vader helmet and cape while I do it.

Hah! :p You sure are living up to your namesakes...

Yeah, there really hasn?t been much going on with the side characters since the NJO ended

Understatement of the century.

Yeah, that's a good point. I really like the end of Dark Journey when Kyp sort of helps Jaina back from the dark side. Too bad their informal master/apprentice thing didn't go on a bit longer.

Me, too. :D Although, if it had gone on any longer, Jag probably wouldn't have a fiancée (*snort*) in pro-fic. ;)

She should read LotF.

[face_laugh]

Yeah, I think this is bigger than Jaina's PTSD, given what we've seen of her dreams. I'm not sure how much the Skywalkers or anyone else can do for her at this point though

We shall have to see... I'm not sure even Jaina can do anything about them... [face_mischief]

It makes sense, though they'll probably regret it later

Probably... but if they stepped in now, this wouldn't be any fun. :p

What are they going to do? Study holocrons or something?

Uh huh. [face_batting]

Another good post, Celsete

Thanks!! [face_blush]

I wonder how Mara and Luke will fit into this Obviously, they're going to take a back seat for now, but the fact we're even seeing them here makes me think that Mara's "opportune moment" will come along at some point...

Very intuitive... Question is whether or not they'll be around for the "opportune moment"... [face_devil]

I really enjoyed the dialogue and the interraction between Luke and Mara. You definitely write Mara well

[face_blush] Aw, thanks... That's probably the best comment I could ask for. :)

Looking forward to next Friday's post

It's almost Friday, so you won't have long to wait!

Thanks for reading and replying!! :D

Kailene- You're back!!! [:D]

Oh, I definetly need in on this...add me to your PM list please.

Will do!! :D

This is great! love I'm loving the stream of consciousness that you do with Jaina's force(?)dreams, and can't wait to see where they go. Protective Kyp is great...even if he if annoying Jag with it (which is also entertaining )

Tee hee! Jag and Kyp at odds is always fun to watch! :D And to write! [face_devil]

I'm glad your enjoying it so far! Thanks for reading and replying! :)

----

Friday almost got away from me... DRL has been stealing away my free time, but I suppose that's bound to happen when you're about to move... [face_tired]

The new post will be up in a few minutes... look forward to yet another new character. Sorry, no Jaina yet. ;)

~Celeste

22. CelseteAntola

May 18, 2002
    ----

It was a damp, humid day in the jungle.

Not that that?s unusual, Tahiri Veila mused, feeling as though she wanted to peel her own skin off in an attempt to cool off.

She swung her coufee and tried to remind herself that her destination wasn?t much farther, as she hacked away at the thick underbrush that tried to hinder her progress.

She sighed and blew a lock of her blonde, curly hair away from her face before it stuck to her sweat-dampened forehead. She was frustrated, not only by the sticky heat, but by the futility of blazing a trail in this tropical jungle.

She?d made this particular trek multiple times in the last few weeks, the dense humidity forcing her to find some respite from the heat before she went completely delirious. However, despite her multiple attempts at making a reasonably walk-able pathway, she?d awoken everyday to find that her trail had disappeared in the prolific undergrowth of the verdant jungle.

She grunted as she hacked through a particularly difficult frond-like plant with a stem as thick as her forearm. If she had her way, she?d be off this planet the next time visitors were permitted to reach the surface, but until then she was stuck.

You did choose to stay here, she reminded herself, and sighed again, this time with relief.

She?d cut through the last of the underbrush and before her the jungle opened suddenly to a wide ravine.

Above her, the canopy thinned out, allowing unfiltered sunlight to stream through the gaps in the foliage, as well as affording glimpses of the bright azure sky beyond.

And beyond that, space.

A grin tugged at the corners of her lips, and Tahiri began her careful descent down the side of the ravine.

Below, snaking through the jungle after cascading over a rocky precipice, was a river, deep and wide and deliciously cool.

Tahiri assumed the river flowed down from the polar region father north, considering the brisk chill of the crystal clear water.

It was short work to reach the bottom of the ravine, and she reveled in the coolness of the air and the relief the fine mist gave to her flushed skin. Eager to completely immerse herself in the cool water, she stripped off her minimal clothing, and got a running start before jumping into the pool at the base of the waterfall.

Her body plunged into the refreshing water, air bubbles rushing past her face as they rose to the surface. She opened her eyes underwater and propelled herself forward, shooting through the water with the ease of an aquatic creature.

For the thousandth time, she was so grateful that she?d allowed Anakin to coax her into learning how to swim.

Force, Anakin, I miss you...

Suddenly another being crashed into the water beside her, all pale skin and dark hair.

Startled, Tahiri pulled up short and kicked rapidly for the surface. Out of the corner of her eye she could see the intruder, and she reached out with the Force in an attempt to identify them...

And nearly drowned herself as a familiar presence asserted itself.

Her head broke the surface, and she gasped for air as she swam toward the bank.

?Tahiri, wait!?

His voice stopped her cold, and she tread water, turning to face him, unwilling to believe what her eyes were seeing.

?I didn?t mean to frighten you. Sorry.?

The lopsided grin, the twinkle in his blue eyes, the lean toned shoulders, it was all there...

Still, she pushed away the ache in her heart and frowned.

?I thought I asked you not to do that anymore??

?You did, I?m sorry.? He swam closer, his body just as bare beneath the crystalline water as her own, and she had to fight away the urges that rose to the surface of her mind.

?So, you just enjoy torturing me? Is that it?? It wasn?t hard to let an angry edge creep into her voice.

His face fell, a familiar crestfallen expression that had always softened her in the past... when he was alive.

?You were thinking of him, again. I thought you might like...?

?I don't!? she exclaimed, turning away and making for shore again. A few strong stokes brought her there and she pul

23. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Well... that's a pretty sharp turn in plot. [face_thinking]

And I'm going to go ahead and say that Sekot isn't very smart, if he/she/it thought that was a good idea. :oops:

RATHER curious as to how this relates- and I stand by my earlier question of:

are we going to find out soon what the HELL is going on?!? :p

Can't wait for more!

24. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008

Hmm ... well, I think I have an idea of where this is going. But it's probably wrong. :p

Liking the L/M interaction; Mara's a mom and a wife, and still Mara. It's good to see. =D=

And Tahiri ... ah, what could've been. :( I'd hardly be surprised if there's a connection between what's going on with her and with Jaina ... o_O [face_thinking]

Another great update, Celeste. =D=

- Later, [face_peace]
    Onderon1

25. Luna_Nightshade

Jan 25, 2006
    I like Sekot showing up as a sentient creature. It is a fun image there, that it can read minds and respond to them. Interesting update... I second the motion to find out what's going on!