main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "Whilst Embers Want for Flame", (Dear Diary Challenge 2011) Mara/Luke - Entry IV up 3/18

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Mira_Jade , Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    ?whilst embers want for flame?

Genre: Drama, Romance
    Rating: PG
    Time Frame: Post Sacrifice
    Characters: Mara Jade/Luke Skywalker, OT and PT cast

Summary: The diary of the late Mara Jade Skywalker, chronicling her time in the afterlife until she is reunited with her husband.

Notes: My diary for the Dear Diary 2011 challenge. [face_love] Of course I had to choose an . . . interesting route, as I figured that I needed something to hook my muse all year ? and what better than bitter sweetness with the potential for mush and angst? [face_love] [face_devil]

On that note, this is a companion and expansion to my vignette ?embers, lie sleeping?. Updates shall come on Mondays every other week ? and more often as I find I have a surplus of material. :D Because of the errant updates, I will be keeping a PM list if any are interested. [face_love]

Disclaimer: Nothing is mine, but for the words. :)

PM List

* Briannakin
    * aurrasingrules101
    * Hazel
    * Luna_Nightshade
    * JediMara77
    * kataja
    * mavjade

[blockquote][i]Entry I [/i] [/blockquote]

The funny thing about ending is, it is something that I have stood on the precipice of many times before.

For most of my life, death has been a constant ally and companion both. I wielded it as much as it wielded me, and I was a favored servant. I served the late Emperor, who was merely an extension of the black forces of the universe. And when I rose above that servitude, death was still something that haunted my steps, waiting for me to stumble, to reach out and claim me as its own. I have never chosen a placid line of work ? from my duties with Karrde, to my time with Luke, to the last two wars that have torn our galaxy asunder . . . I have known the precipices of front lines, and the ways of the enemy most intimately, even though those are times that I'd rather not think of.

For this to be my final fall, and my end . . .

At first, it had angered me. The man before me ? my murderer - whom I had called family, was someone who had the potential to tear the ones I loved at their seams. And I hated him for his betrayal. I mourned him for it, in the blackness of those tunnels, as I felt my everything slip from me.

Oddly enough, in those last moments, my connection to Luke had been the brightest thing I had ever felt . . . And that light had only been eclipsed by what came after.

You see, death is not black, it is light and life returned to those waiting to be joined by their wholes. The Force is calm here, so unerringly pure and perfect ? something luminous that was so much more than the crude experience we knew in corporeal forms. It is a phenomenon that I know will interest Luke, when he joins me, and I can't wait to show him through the highs and the lolls of the After . . .

When he joins me . . . The thought is heady; intoxicating, almost.

Even so, I hope that our reunion is not for a long time, even though I yearn for his presence by my side. In some ways, death numbs the more tangible wanting, but I had survived for years with Luke as half and whole of my mind. Our bond was something marveled and unheard of in its intensity, and to suddenly exist on my own thoughts and feelings now . . . It was odd. I could still feel a shadow of my husband, as if our connection was merely doused with a great wall of water. He was a star to my senses ? bright enough to be seen from the whole of space away, but small enough to be lost with a wink.

He is an ember to me, now, when I want so dearly for flames.

You may wonder . . . Why am I keeping this chronicle? Why am I telling a story when mine has just come to an end?

I will say this in reply . . . Life is but an introduction, and death no end ? and yet, until his end and mine are one, I will do everything in my power to connect wit

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004

Bravo!! The tone is lyrical and still very Mara-esque. =D=

You can feel her and Luke's love very plainly.

[face_thinking]

And the analogy of embers and flames -- a nice touch.

3. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Oh Mira, this is fabulous and I can't wait to read more!!!!!!! It reminds me of two challenge entries I wrote and I'm so glad you're doing this for an entire year! Yay! [:D]

(Although I still hate Sacrifice. Lol.)

Please please please PM me with updates! :D

4. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    It's sad and beautiful and to have Anakin Skywalker show her around is sweet can't wait for more =D=

5. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    This should be great! I'm looking forward to finding out what kinds of things Anakin and Mara will talk about, and what Mara will be able to do now that she's a Force ghostie. I also look forward to her reunion with Luke, too! PM me porfavor?

6. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Anakin Skywalker is Mara's guide to the After Life?
    [face_laugh]

I too hate Sacrifice, and the whole LotF for that matter, but I believe your diary is going to be fun. So please add me to your PM list.

7. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Somehow this diary doesn't surprise me.

Your mind is one I envy.

Anyways, what a beautiful start. I hated when Mara died, because she is after all one of my favorite characters in the EU. And telling her after life story is kinda heart breaking but kinda heartwarming.

Her thoughts on Caedus and Ben and Luke... I had tears in my eyes.

And Anakin Skywalker as her guide...

I foresee a lot of bickering!

Great start!!!

=D=

8. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice beginning=D=

9. aurrasingrules101

aurrasingrules101 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2003
    Not gonna lie...I was REALLY close to crying when you described Mara's death. God, I still can't believe they killed her. :mad: :mad: :mad:

But I think I'm going to really enjoy seeing Mara's journey after we lose her. PM, please?[face_batting]

Great job! Keep em coming!=D=

10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Wow. I love the idea. I hate Sacrifice (what Mara fan doesn't), but this is going to be cool. I'm sure Mara will have tons of people too keep her company until Luke comes and I'm sure more will join her (I guess that will be bittersweet).

Add me to the PM list, please.

11. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Jade_eyes: Thanks! It is interesting taking a lyrical spin on Mara's voice - and the motif of the embers and flames is one that will creep up again. [face_mischief]

JM77: The consensus of still hating Sacrifice seems to be general. [face_laugh] Thanks so much for reading. [:D]

JediFalcon: Aww, thanks. [face_love] There's more coming up. :D

Luna_Nightshade: All of those things and more are upcoming. :cool: As are PMs. :D

Hazel: Yep, Sacrifice was the worst. :p I am glad that you are giving this a go, though. [:D]

Master_Jay: It is so good to see you here! [:D] Thanks for following my muse down yet another interesting direction. [face_laugh] ;)

earlybird: Thanks. :D

aurra: *passes tissue* Just don't use all of them until this chapter is done. ;) PMs are acoming. :cool:

Bri: Thanks! :D Yep - the perfect word to describe this fic is bittersweet. [face_love]

Thank-you everyone, for leaving your thoughts. [:D]

~MJ @};-

12. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Entry II

?My name is Anakin Skywalker, and I'll be your guide to the After.?

It took a moment for the spirit's words to register properly in my mind. As they did, tumbling over each other like raindrops as they fell through the sky, I stared dubiously at the hand offered to me. With my gaze, I traced the hand - glowing blue and serene to my eyes - up the arm, clothed with Jedi robes in the style of the old Order, up a shoulder and neck thick with muscle and strength . . . to look at the man that I had known for years as Darth Vader . . .

He looked like Luke, was the first thought that traveled almost violently through me, staggering in intensity. It was almost disconcerting to my memories to see the kind eyes of my husband shining from the face of the man who used to call himself Vader. To think that such a likeness loitered behind the faceless black monster all of those years . . . It spun at my memories, this knowledge, even as I placed my hand in Anakin's; allowing him to help me up.

I was wobbly on my new feet at first, my balance forgotten as my feet struggled for purchase against the unearthly sand. Anakin seemed to expect this. For a moment later his hold was tighter upon me, assisting me where I could not assist myself. I truly was as a child again, learning things anew.

?It's okay,? he encouraged me, ?it takes all of us some time to get our legs in this realm.?

At the mention of my death, I felt another pang shoot through me, but more numb than I would have expected. The pain was akin to feeling an arrow strike me through armor ? taking my breath, but leaving no mark as my body cloaked itself under death's shadow.

This was so surreal . . .

I trembled violently at the thoughts swirling through my head, trying to find my balance through the whole of them.

?Try breathing,? Anakin said next, his voice wry. ?You don't need to in this form, but the memory of it will calm you.?

I was one step ahead of him, taking in huge, gulping breaths as I thought of what laid before me . . . of what I had left behind. I could feel my 'body' rising and expanding, but there was no air around me to breathe . . . even though there was a sort of breeze that soothed my body . . . sending Anakin's robes in a gentle flutter about his form, and tangling my hair before my vision. The scant wind quieted as I took notice of it, and I narrowed my eyes on the alieness of this place . . .

Sooner than I would have were I still mortal, I could feel myself calming, my spirit self flowing from an agitated white to a more calm shade of blue in color in a direct reflection of my emotions.

Curious and curiouser . . .

?And it gets better than that,? Anakin said after a moment had past, and I was able to collect my thoughts under me once more.

?Does it now?? I inquired, raising a brow at the smile that the other man couldn't seem to keep out of his voice. Where Vader had been heavy and harsh against my senses, this man was all energy and whip wire grace . . . skin hardly sewn together over the intangibility of a storm. I understood, in that moment, the stories of the man who had been the Chosen One . . . just a very little.

?Well, I've come to like it,? Anakin returned. He looked critically over me, his eyes a shade brighter than the sapphire planes of his body. ?Do you think you can walk now??

I took a hesitant step, distantly noting how my feet rested just above the sand, but did not sink down further. At my ankles, the surf rose and receded . . . but I could feel neither warmth or chill from the water, merely a curious dryness, as if I were detached from my surroundings.

This was . . .

This would take some getting used to.

When I was able to take a turn without wobbling too badly, Anakin offered me his arm almost playfully, as if her were a gentleman of old. ?Shall we, then??

I took a moment to concentrate on breathing, and then we walked forward.

The further I walked away from the waters that had birthed my spirit, the more I could feel my body come to

13. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Finding one?s self existing in another realm must truly be a very disconcerting thing and you described it marvelously.

Loved Mara meeting Padmé and still have tears in my eyes from when she saw Luke in the pool.

Excellent work!

=D=

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    The conversation is warm and witty -- and has both the "feel" of Anakin and Mara; you paint a very beautiful landscape of pools and glades =D=

And it is indeed a "fascinating" situation.

How I love that word!

;)

Only you could take the post-Sacrifice debacle and fiasco & turn it into something -- amazing -- like a song by Yanni or Enya -- that fills your heart with music all the day long.

[face_love] [:D]
    =D=

Have some cyber chocolate and make it hot to deal with all the snow you're getting!!

[face_laugh]

[face_cocoa]

15. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    I really liked Anakin and Mara's banter in this, and I felt terrible for Mara when she saw Luke in the pool. I quite like the interaction with all the characters. I'm looking forward to Mara being able to spend more time looking in on Luke. =D=

16. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I love, love, love, love, love Mara and Anakin together. I have always been fascinated by the Mara--Vader/Anakin relationship and love seeing that here. I'm looking forward to all the talks between them, and hope they discuss what they were in their past lives. (And I will admit that I love all this even more because I have an idea for a Mara--Vader fic rolling around in my mind. :D )

Your writing is absolutely beautiful; I can't even pick out particular parts that I enjoyed more than others.

Luke . . . Luke would be fascinated by this place.

Yes...yes he would. /sigh

The mention of Windu and Jinn made me LOL. I would LOVE to see Mara butt heads with those two. :D

...but Mara seeing Luke dueling Lumiya was very, very, very sad. :( I'm looking forward to the entry when she speaks to Luke at the end of Revelation (I think that was the book, when Ben heard Luke talking in the tent and realized he was speaking to Mara's Force ghost.)

Again, this is a wonderful story and I can't wait for more.

17. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Great chapter. You describe the essence of the afterlife so well. I loved the Mara and Anakin banter and I love that Anakin can still see Padme from time to time.

I hope Mara gets to see more of Luke (and Ben) soon, but not when he's being all emotional.

And I cant wait until Mars meets Windu and Jinn.

18. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    This is not a proper review, 'cause that would take more time than I have available at the moment - but I have to get on the PM list for this! I absolutely love it! Particularly the hurtingly beautiful first chapter took my breath way - and the second entry was a worthy sequel! Amazing work!!! =D= =D= =D=

19. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Seriously Mira, your muse amazes me. and i thought I was morbid!!!

That last post was amazing, the way you describe everything, Anakin,

EVERYTHING!

You'll always keep me coming back for more!

great job!

20. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Awesome update and I loved the banter between Anakin and Mara. Can't wait for more

21. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    This is beautifully written! I love the way you write Anakin, and your version of the afterlife. I can't wait to read more!

=D=

22. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I love this!

Mara's voice here is wonderful and I love her interactions with Anakin!

Your descriptions of After are amazing, I can clearly see what you are describing and it makes me want to go there! :p

Would you mind putting me on your PM list??

=D=

23. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Hazel: It was disconcerting to write, even. [face_laugh] I am glad that the descriptions went over well.

Deb: The powers of hot cocoa are a marvelous thing. ;) And thank-you for the kind words! This whole fic is a very cathartic exercise, that's for sure. [face_laugh]

Luna: Oh, there will be lots of that coming. [face_mischief] Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts! [:D]

JediMara77: Oh! Your comments made my day, I have to tell you! There is so much fun seeing Mara interact with Anakin/Vader in any context - so I can't wait to see what to do with that story you have in mind. :D And there will be much more Mara butting heads with the Old Masters - she just has to get her feet wet first, so to speak. :p And as for meeting Luke . . . [face_whistling] In time. :D

Brianakin: You hit all of my high points as well. :p Thanks for leaving your thoughts. :)

kataja: Aww, shucks. [face_love] I am thrilled that this fic hit so well emotionally. :) PMs are a go! :D [:D]

Master_Jaina: And you haven't seen nothing yet. [face_laugh] As always, thanks for sticking with me through these things, m'dear! :D

JediFalcon: Why, thank-you. :D

Tarsier: [face_blush] Thank-you. :)

mavjade: Hopefully no visiting anytime soon. [face_laugh] ;) But yes, PMs are a go! :D

Alrighty, more in a few. [face_dancing]

~MJ @};-

24. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Author's Note: This next chapter got away from me, so I had to seperate it into two parts so that they would play more niecely together - hence the length between updates. [face_laugh] :oops: Although, the good thing about that is that the next one is all shiney and ready to go. :p

[blockquote][i] Entry III[/i][/blockquote]

Later, Anakin continued on his tour of the After.

But first, before I left Padmé's grotto with him, I spent what felt like days in the water. There were many such waterways in the After, but this pool felt like family ? warm and whole, and I could not imagine laying my spirit down to rest anywhere else.

With no body, and my spirit mixing and mingling with the hundreds that had fallen asleep in death before me, I was neither formed nor fallen, simply at peace. Within the currents that held me, the Force whispered her secrets (having a voice that sounded like sweeping winds and bubbling eddies and the silence between lightening and thunder) to my enraptured ears, explaining the beauty of timelessness and eternity.

Death truly was another beginning ? and where Anakin could not tell me death's tale, for not having the whole of the words ? my Keeper itself told the details to me in a soothingly ancient voice, mothering and decadent in its strength.

This time, when I rose from the waters, I slowed before exiting. I had been too anguished earlier (was it days? Weeks? Years?) that I had not the inclination or the awareness to pay any attention, and so now I closely watched the way the Force crafted a body for me from its memory of my physical form. Eyes spun from light, and fingers daintily moulded from the current in order to reach up and push back my hair ? completely dry and untangled ? and smooth down the robes that had came without my call. I had not legs to walk with until I actually stepped out of the pond, and yet, my mind fed me the impression of having so.

I must have worn a look of fascination on my face, for further up the shore there was the sound of chuckling ? the sort of amused laughter that was equal parts fondness and the open eyes that looked for soft incisions for the more pointed sorts of humor.

I had company then.

Expecting to see only Anakin when I arose, I was pleased when at his side his namesake had come to greet me as well.

I felt something warm and full fill me as I looked at the young man before me, for, while the Force still remembered Anakin Solo youthful, there was an age to him that he hadn't been permitted to reach in life. The spirit I saw before me was what Anakin would have had the potential to be if the fates had been kinder; but, beneath the older form, his father's smirking eyes, and his mother's easy grace was hard to miss.

I wasn't sure if my body was corporeal enough to embrace someone, but on my nephew I was certainly willing to try. At my thoughts, my form flushed a darker shade of blue as Anakin submitted himself to my hug. He gave a half smirk and grin that reminded me so much of his father in that moment that I felt an actual pang go through me.

It was more than just Luke I would miss, I realized. I had actually carved out a family for myself in the second half of my life. Husband, son, sister, brother . . . I thought of Jaina, struggling to find her way, and I thought of Karrde and Shada,and even of the students whose lives I had helped shape . . . The pang of missing I felt was as deeply felt as the joy coursing through me at meeting those who had fallen before me.

As if sensing my thoughts, Anakin brought up one hand to pat lightly at my back in a boyish form of comfort. ?Yeah, I missed you too, Aunt Mara.?

The next breath I took was deep and shaky. I fought the instinct to brush away tears ? for I had none, in this form. ?Did you come to keep Skywalker in line?? I instead chose to quip, hoping that the easy sarcasm would hide the tremor choking my vocal cords.

?Can anyone really do so?? the younger Anakin returned, his smile easy and understanding.

At that, Anakin the elder snorted. ?I

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    An amazing post. =D=

And I do love it when things get away from you.

[face_dancing]

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.