Whining, Worries and Woes

Discussion in 'Inland Empire CA' started by jedifan77, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda

VIP
    star 4
    I hope it nothing serious. Maybe it's some form of inflamation.:)
  2. jedifan77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Let's hope it's one of the many non-serious things! Please let us know what the vet says... and give Fly a hug for me!
  3. Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Poor pup. :( Menolly and I sending aroos and belly rubs. Fly's in my prayers!
  4. Symina Jedi Master

star 4
    So it's either a cyst or a tumor, we won't know until about Wednesday, after the results from the cytology come back. I'm hoping for the "fatty cyst" and not a tumor!
  5. jedifan77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Did you get any test results back on Fly yet?
  6. Symina Jedi Master

star 4
    Nothing yet, thanks for asking.
  7. AboutaSith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I got my blood work back yesterday. Basically my blood sugar is only 3 points away from me being diagnosed as a diabetic, my liver enzymes were more than double what they should be.

I've been told to lose 20lbs in the next two months and they will do more blood work to see if those levels go down. The liver enzyemes is more tricky cos it can be caused by so many things, i'm not to drink any alcohol or take any kind of supplement or meds for the next two months and see if that get's it back down. If the liver enzymes dont go down there's a whole load of tests i'll have to do. :(

I joined livestrong.com so I can monitor all my food & exercise, it's a challenge but i'm gonna do it!!! :cool:
  8. Symina Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow, I'm sorry to hear that! So you're not diabetic yet, right? If it's any encouragement, guys usually lose weight more easily than women, so I think you'll be able to do it!
  9. jedifan77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    20 pounds in 2 months? Wow. If you're determinded, it's quite do-able! Even if you don't hit the 20 pound mark, any weight loss will be good towards better health.

Like Sonya said, it's easier for men. Good luck!
  10. han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda

VIP
    star 4
    Sheila goes to the site you're talking about, it'll do you good! Sorry to hear about the blood sugar stuff, that's not fun. But I know you'll do whatever you have to to get that in check![:D] :)
  11. jedi_onasi Jedi Master

star 3
    You can do it, Stuart!!! :D
    I hope everything works out. :)
    I should get on that site and get on the treadmill and join you in losing weight.
    [face_thinking]
  12. Symina Jedi Master

star 4
    I heard from someone at from the vet's today, unfortunately the vet wasn't available to talk, so I couldn't ask any questions. My doggie has a spindle cell tumor, which is cancer. They want to take it out, so I'm going to be going back soon.
  13. jedifan77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I did some reading on it (I sound like Hermoine) and everything I read said the first thing is to get the tumor and surrounding tissue out of there. I pray that you caught it soon enough and that will take care of it.

I'm so sorry!!

[:D]
  14. AboutaSith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It's a really great site. You can track everything you eat, exercise, weight,BMI etc. It also has dares you can take to challenge yourself. I have an app on the iphone for it to so i can update it from anywhere! I'll be rocking it at 24 Fitness next week! Might find a 5k run to do in the fall.

I'm not a diabetic yet but I imagine I will be one day, my grandpa didnt get it until into his 50s and was able to control it with diet, if i get on track now i hope to avoid it!
  15. Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Yikes. :( You can do it, Stuart. The thing is to find an active activity that you really like and it won't seem like work at all. I'm predijuced, but have you ever considered getting a bike? They're a nice, easy, low-impact workout (well...easy as long as you stay on the flats) that burns calories like mad and can be real fun. They've got lots of really comfortable models out now so your tush won't get angry at you. ;) Couple that with something working out your upper body and those pounds will start melting away. :)

Poor Fly! Prayers going out that they're able to get all of it and you caught it early! :(
  16. Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    On the suggestion of a couple friends, I checked out the website for USC, which has one of the best film schools in the country. Upon looking at the admissions requirements, I found out that they'll only accept students from other colleges with an official transfer (which is a whole 'nother can of worms) and have some of the strictest admission requirements (as far as grades go; that much I got from a college counselor a while back...and my GPA right now...you don't want to know). And even if they overlook all that, they'll only accept homeschooled students if you have a detailed list of textbooks, courses, and names of accredited instructors; in other words, if your mom was your teacher, forget it. [face_frustrated]

I've also checked out the University of Arizona (a job counselor suggested that one), but it's looking pretty bleak. It looks like the only way I can go to film school at all is to go back to the community college and finish something, either a degree or a certificate program. And since Financial Aid dropped me, I need a job in order to pay for anything.

So, as long as going back to school is out, I'm back to looking for work. [face_tired]

Maybe I could pull a Steven Speilberg and sneak into Universal...[face_whistling]
  17. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    I would suggest looking into colleges in the area (the UCs and CSUs) and check into their Communications department or their Visual Arts department. There is no "Film" major except at USC, and if there is, all you'll be doing is watching and criticizing films. That's boring. :p

I'm at UCSD in the Visual Arts Media Production major. It's fantastic - it puts you behind the camera and the computer. You learn Final Cut Pro, Pro Tools, a bit of After Effects, though most of it is on you to teach yourself. However, you learn tons.

Case in point: this was one of my first films just last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D486TttVRwM

Then last quarter, I made this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GpDktQW3y8

I'm biased because it's San Diego, but I would definitely check out both UCSD's Vis Arts department and San Diego State's Theater and Film Department.

USC is really just a school you go to for Grad School for film, or even just do some of their summer programs.
  18. delta_1138 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I could have sworn my friend was majoring in film at UCRiverside. Maybe I was mistaken...
  19. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    I still say I'm a "Film Student" even though that's not technically my major. ;)
  20. Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmm...I'll definately check those out. The closest ones to me would probably be UC San Bernardino or UC Riverside. If I could qualify for admissions and Financial Aid, and find a place to live near there, it'd be worth a shot. Another option (though I hate the idea of being in debt) is student loans, but that's is all else fails and I have no other choice. Thanks for the suggestions!
  21. Symina Jedi Master

star 4
    It's actually Cal State San Bernardino. ;) But yeah, a lot of college students need to go the student loan route. It's one of those "necessary evils" you face in life.
  22. jedifan77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I got a call from Jen today. She let me know that Allen's mother passed away last night.

Allen, hugs and prayers go out to you and your family!
  23. jangosmom Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm so sorry to hear about your mother Allen. My prayers will be with you and your family![:D]
  24. han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda

VIP
    star 4
    So sorry to hear about your Mom. If you need anything, let us know.[:D]
  25. AboutaSith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Sorry to hear that Allen.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.