main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Whispers in the Dark - EU/AU Mara, Obi, others - Action/Mystery *Epilogue 12/1*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Arriss, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Well, I hate to see the end coming. :( But at least things are looking up. Nice work. =D=

2. Arriss

Arriss Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    Thank you. :D I had intended on having Reynard survive but sometimes stories write themselves. :) It is close to the end but there's a few more chapters first...and maybe, well, you'll see. ;)

She's learning about a whole new way to live but she still needs guidance.

Mara has alot to absorb but she's still not all excited about reuniting w/her mother.

Ah, but how long will such a reunion last? ;) You'll have to wait and see.

I knew you'd be happy about Reynard. :D It was fitting that one of his own men would pull the trigger.

Yes, she will but she has to answer to something as well. [face_worried]

Thank you. :D It's been a long road but hopefully all of you have enjoyed the ride. Don't go away, there's still a few things going on. :D

3. Arriss

Jun 1, 2002
    Sorry I haven't gotten the new post up yet. :( I'm recuperating from knee surgery I had this week. I'm going to try and get it up a little later today.

4. Arriss

Jun 1, 2002
    Sorry about the delay. Here's the new chapter. :)

Chapter XXXIII ? The Future and the Past ? Part I

Maintaining a constant vigil of his friend, Luke took a brief moment to leave Cela?s hospital room and get something to eat. He was thankful she would be all right and that Kuryn?s control center acquiesced to his request for a medical transport. In spite of searching Mara?s ship after they left Ord Mantell, Luke couldn?t locate any bacta for Cela and pushed Mara?s ship as much as he could to make sure they would reach a medical facility in time.

It was during the time Luke had been scouring Mara?s ship that the young Jedi had gotten a chance to know the elusive woman. Her personal quarters reminded him of someone who paid attention to detail judging by the meticulousness of her belongings. He took note of the chest at the foot of her bed and its lock, demonstrating her inability to trust others, even Cela. He could smell remnants of her, an alluring scent, but also the conflicted emotions that saturated the entire room. His curiosity got the better of him and he sat down in the middle of the floor and reached out to the Force. Images combined with feelings slowly began to emerge in his mind. Emotions of hopelessness and aggression mingled with fleeting moments of joy, all of which were tightly controlled. The images were varied and showed Luke the people in Mara?s life, mainly smugglers?or so he presumed. Suddenly the Emperor appeared; allowing Luke to share the turmoil the Sith Lord had put her though.

By the time he had emerged from the trance, Luke had discovered a sincere admiration of Mara Jade.

__________________________________*****__________________________________

Obi-Wan and Sakoya with Xar?ek and Mara in tow, walked into the hospital and up to the receptionist desk, inquiring about Cela. Once they learned what wing and room she was in, they descended the nearest turbolift to the 4th floor.

?Luke!? Sakoya said loud enough for the Jedi to hear as she espied him in the brightly lit hallway.

Luke turned around, smiled vibrantly at seeing his ?honorary? aunt and uncle and immediately began walking toward them.

Sakoya was the first to wrap her arms around her nephew and asked, ?How is she??

?She?s getting stronger as we speak,? Luke replied as he returned the embrace, grateful that his aunt appeared unharmed. Breaking from Sakoya?s arms, he hugged Obi-Wan and then shook Xar?ek?s hand. ?Thank the Force all of you are safe! How are Han and Chewie??

?On their way back to Coruscant,? Obi-Wan happily replied.

?The mission was a success then?? Luke inquired.

The remorseful glance between husband and wife gave the young Jedi his answer.

?We?ll brief you later,? Obi-Wan replied, without a hint of anything amiss in his voice.

With a nod of understanding, Luke turned his attention to the last person in the small party who had been standing behind Sakoya. ?You must be Mara. It?s a pleasure to meet you,? he warmly greeted her, extending his hand.

Mara?s eyes darted to each of the other people near her. ?Yo-you know who I am??

Luke smiled at her. ?Yes, I do.?

Mara eyed him guardedly. ?Why do I feel such trepidation with my new situation?? she asked more to herself than anyone else.

Charmingly, Luke answered, ?It?s called acceptance.?

Mara tilted her head slightly to the side, a glint of mischief exhibited in her eyes and crooked smile. ?Is it now??

Cela opened her eyes and groggily looked around. She panicked at the white surroundings until her eyes adjusted and she could focus properly. She was alive and in a hospital room ? Luke had gotten her here in time and saved her life. She knew it was a possibility they wouldn?t make it but she had faith in the Jedi and knew she couldn?t have been in better hands.

She glanced over to the other side of the room as the door began to open and Luke peeked inside.

?Slept long enough, huh?? Lu

5. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    ooooh, I liked that chapter. Mara's talk with Cela should be interesting.

6. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    can't stop the L/M chemistry... :p

but yes, Mara and Cela should be interesting...

7. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    By the time he had emerged from the trance, Luke had discovered a sincere admiration of Mara Jade.

You just have to love Jedi trances. I'm glad he got a feel of who she really is. And I like that he admires her :)

Luke chuckled and teasingly quipped, ?So you lost your senses for a brief moment.?

[face_laugh] Or two moments ;)
    I like how easy it is for him to joke around with both Mara and Cela. He does know how to put the ladies at ease ;)

?Because I know you, Mara Jade. I feel you?I hear you?I understand you.?

What a way to confuse her. hehehe
    I'm glad that she knows he's right though.

?Exercise?? Luke said with astonishment. ?I wonder what you?d be like in a real battle!?

Deadly? :p ah, but I'm so glad it helped her

The kiss was precious. I'm sure her eyes said that she wasn't sorry he did it either :D

Can't wait to see Mara's talk with Cela. And I hope your knee's not doing bad!

8. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    can't wait to see how that talk turns out. I like the chemistry between Luke and Mara. Undeniable.

Good work. =D=

9. Arriss

Jun 1, 2002
    Thank you. I'm surprised you didn't mention the AOTC line I used. ;)

No, I guess you can't. :D LOL.

Yes, you can gain all kinds of insight in those things. :D ;)

I've always adored Luke and he comes across this way to me. He can get along w/anyone. [:D]

Oh, Luke's definitely part of the Adore Mara Brigade. ;)

Deadly is an understatement. [face_devil] She's not one to cross.

The kiss just kind of...happened but it worked so I left it in. It reminded me so much of Anakin and Padmé in AOTC that I even used the same dialogue.

LOL. Oh, and my knee is getting better and better each day. Thanks for asking. :D

I'm sure Cela is plenty worried. [face_worried]

Thank you. I didn't want them just thrust together, be happy, the end. They have quite a road ahead of them.

10. Arriss

Jun 1, 2002
    Things have taken a turn... ;)

Chapter XXXIII ? The Future and the Past ? Part II

?The scientist is dead?? Cela said in surprise after Sakoya, Obi-Wan, and Xar?ek all took turns recounting what happened on Ord Mantell. ?Did you find out who murdered the?the ??

?Clawdite?? Obi-Wan finished for her. ?It?s not a terrible word, Cela, nor was Vaarn a monster. The map he provided was invaluable.?

Cela dipped her head to her chest and sighed. ?I-I know, Master Jedi.?

?To answer your question, we believe it was Zula, acting on Reynard?s orders,? Sakoya replied.

?And he?s dead, right??

?Yeah, Reynard killed ?em. Gruesome sight,? Xar?ek blurted out.

?Yuck,? Cela said as she made a face that showed her disgust. ?Then?it?s all over??

Sakoya nodded. ?Yes, it is. Now the question remains ? where would you like to relocate??

?What about Mara?? Cela asked, somewhat puzzled.

Sakoya glanced downward for a moment and then looked back up at the teenager. ?Mara?s involvement in the deaths here in Kuryn must be addressed. You won?t be able to remain with her.?

?Will?she?go to prison??

?I don?t know, kitling,? Sakoya answered somberly.

?I don?t know where to go?? Cela quietly stated.

?I have somewhere in mind for you, if you like,? Obi-Wan interjected, smiling cheerfully.

Sakoya turned sideways and both she and Cela stared at the Jedi Master. ?And just what did you have in mind, my dear husband?? she merrily asked.

?I think you?ll agree that Cela would be welcome in our home for as long as she wishes.?

Cela?s eyes widened and her mouth hung agape at the news.

Winking at her husband, Sakoya turned back toward Cela and said, ?Of course she is.?

Xar?ek let out a loud groan.

Ignoring the Corellian, Cela leaned forward and threw her arms around Sakoya. ?Oh my stars! Thank you!?

As Sakoya hugged the teenager, she whispered in her ear, ?Think you can help me with diaper duty too??

Cela leaned back and loudly proclaimed, ?A BABY??

Xar?ek?s eyes flew open.

?Yes,? Sakoya chuckled. ?Obi and I are expecting.?

?That?s so cool!? Cela exclaimed, hugging Sakoya again.

?Yeah, just great,? Xar?ek snapped. Turning on his heel, he hastily left the room.

Shortly after Xar?ek stormed out of the hospital room, Obi-Wan followed. He glanced down the hallway only to see Xar?ek?s retreating form enter the turbolift. With a sigh, he went back into the teenager?s room.

Luke and Mara remained silent as they went back to Cela?s room. Occasionally, one would look out of the corner of their eye and see the other looking at them and this went on the entire way back. Luke would steal a glance and then Mara would ? each of them hiding beneath a knowing smile.

As the duo approached Cela?s room, they found Obi-Wan and Sakoya standing outside the door and Luke hoped nothing further had happened to his friend.

?Is Cela alright?? Luke worriedly asked as he saw the troubled look on the Jedi?s faces.

?I was wondering where you two had disappeared to,? Sakoya stated, mildly concerned.

?Yes, she?s fine,? Obi-Wan replied. ?But Xar?ek left.?

?We were?exercising,? Mara admitted as the color to her cheeks began to redden.

Sakoya glanced suspiciously between the two. ?Oh, I see.?

?Why did Xar?ek leave?? Luke asked, changing the subject.

Obi-Wan couldn?t help beaming as he thought of the reason for the Corellian?s swift departure. ?He heard something that disturbed him.?

Luke and Mara both looked at the Jedi Master strangely.

Obi-Wan looked over at his wife and then elatedly said, ?I suppose it?s time we told you. We?re expecting a child.?

Luke?s eyes lit up and Mara just stared. ?Congratulations!? Luke enthusiastically stated as he hugged his aunt and uncle.

Mara stood transfixed, not knowing what to say. She had already acquired an instant family and now there would be another addition. Would she ever f

11. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    That's a tough choice for Sakoya. She finally gets her daughter back and then has to turn her over to the police.:(

12. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    ?I don?t know, kitling,? Sakoya answered somberly.

I think it's real cute she calls her kitling.

And I love they asked Cela to live with them :)

I do feel bad for Xar?ek but not a whole lot. Sakoya's got a new life without him now.

?We were?exercising,? Mara admitted as the color to her cheeks began to redden.

One way of explaining it ;)

?Mara Jade, it is my duty to inform you that you are under arrest for murder,? Sakoya stated, her face impassive but her voice as cold as Obi-Wan had ever heard.

Oh...no. I feel so so bad for Sakoya :( That sucks so much she has to do that.

13. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
  14. Arriss

Jun 1, 2002
    :( :( And it's not over yet.

I tend to call my own kids that. ;)

Xar'ek has to deal with losing someone he loves more than he can admit (to himself) and his pride gets in the way of that.

LOL. ;)

She struggled with it but her sense of duty forced her into it. :(

:)

15. Arriss

Jun 1, 2002
    I meant to get this up last week but just didn't have the time. Sorry. [face_worried] But here it is now. :)

Chapter XXXIII ? The Future and the Past ? Part III

?She?s where?? Luke asked in utter surprise.

?We? Obi-Wan glanced sideways at his wife, ?contacted Security Headquarters about the deaths of two men that were killed on a beach here not long ago. According to their identities, they were the same men Mara met with the night they were killed. I?m sorry Luke.?

Visibly upset, Luke countered, ?So you just let them take her??

Sakoya?s face hardened as she looked at her nephew. ?Do you think I had a choice?? she asked with an edge in her voice. ?She wouldn?t tell us what happened. She even requested legal counsel! That in itself doesn?t help her to appear innocent!?

Ashamed for his outburst, Luke quickly quelled his feelings. ?I?m sorry, Sakoya. I-I overreacted. Can she receive visitors? Can I see her??

?You?ve taken quite an interest in Mara, haven?t you, young one??

Obi-Wan?s comment stirred the truth Luke already knew as he gave his uncle a crooked smile and ran one hand through his blonde hair. ?I guess I have.?

Obi-Wan continued, ?I?m not sure about visitors. Would you like to gather that information for us??

Luke nodded and turned to leave. ?I?ll contact you when I find out,? he called over his shoulder.

Sakoya and Obi-Wan walked back into Cela?s room a minute before her doctor came in to check on her progress.

?Hello everyone. How is my patient today?? Doctor Jerrid asked as he happily strolled inside. ?I?m Doctor Jerrid,? he said holding his hand out in greeting to his patients visitors. ?Are you her parents??

A nervous chuckle arose from the Jedi?s throats as their cheeks momentarily flushed. ?Yes, nice to see you again, Doctor. I am Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi. We met when you were about to perform surgery on a Clawdite acquaintance of mine.?

?Ah, yes, I remember you now,? the doctor replied and shook Obi-Wan?s hand.

The Jedi continued, gesturing to his companion, ?And this is my wife, Sakoya.?

?Oh, yes, I recall you now as well. You appear to have recovered from your ailment.?

?Yes, I have. Thank you.?

?So I take it you are not this young lady?s parents??

?No, Doctor, we?re not,? Sakoya cheerfully replied. ?But we are her guardians.?

Cela positively beamed at Sakoya?s comment.

?Ah, well then, you?ll be glad to know that she can leave our fine establishment in a couple more days. Her prognosis is good and her injuries have left no permanent damage.? Doctor Jerrid looked at Cela and smiled. ?Do you agree with my assessment, young lady??

?Yes!? Cela blurted out.

?Oh come now, the food isn?t so bad, is it?? the doctor joked.

Cela shyly glanced downward.

?Well, I?ll be on my way. I just came in to check on you. It was nice to see you both again,? Doctor Jerrid shook their hands once more and smiled at Cela as he left.

?I can?t wait to get out of here!? Cela exclaimed.

?Why don?t I find that surprising?? Obi-Wan commented with a laugh.

A woman strode into the Security Headquarters building, briefcase in hand, and immediately walked up to the long rectangular pallid counter where a security officer was standing.

?Hello Gunther,? she politely greeted the man.

Sergeant Glaston looked up from his terminal and smiled. A visit from this lady was always a welcome one. ?Hello Kintar. What brings you here??

?Your new ?acquisition? I?m afraid.?

?You?ve been assigned to her already??

?Yes. I must admit I?m energized to work on such a case. These types don?t normally happen here so this will be very interesting.?

Kintar?s long dark hair framed her olive toned face, highlighting her azure almond shaped eyes and Gunther found it hard to stop staring at her. ?Well, you could interview me if you want,? he said with a sly smile.

Kintar flashed him a lopsided grin. ?And why would I

16. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Ashamed for his outburst, Luke quickly quelled his feelings. ?I?m sorry, Sakoya. I-I overreacted. Can she receive visitors? Can I see her??

Aww, that's cute

Just from what she could glean so far, Kintar knew that she had to soften her client some or there could be trouble in the courtroom

Understatement, I'm sure ;) Kintar is a very smart person.

Luke never could fool his mother and this time was no exception

Ah, mothers. :D Sometimes I wonder though if Padme doesn't have a bit of Force sensitivity.

17. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Complicated doesn't even begin to cover it.

18. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    reality is hitting everyone... LOL ;)

19. Arriss

Jun 1, 2002
    I've always given her that in my stories. ;) In the AOTC novel, Yoda mentioned about Padme being Force sensitive and I've given it to her ever since. :)

So very true! :D

Absolutely! :D

Stay tuned. :D

20. Arriss

Jun 1, 2002
    This post is rather long [face_whistling] but it couldn't be broken up. Enjoy. :D

Chapter XXXIII ? The Future and the Past ? Part IV

One week later

Inside the private chambers of the Judge who would preside over Mara?s case, Kintar waited with the Defense Counsel for Judge Osirn to look up from his datapad so their meeting could begin.

As the minutes passed, Kintar mulled over her client?s case, making sure she had every detail Mara had provided clear in her mind. She could feel the anticipation in her opponent as he sat comfortably yet unmoving in one of the Judge?s plush armchairs. He wanted to take the case to trail and was eager to do so but Kintar had a more simplistic idea and hoped her plan would work.

?I?ve reviewed the case notes from each of you,? Judge Osirn finally said as he looked up from the datapad. ?This is very circumstantial and, in my opinion, not worthy of a trial. Unless you have more evidence to offer, Crim, I don?t think you have much of a case.?

The Defense Counsel didn?t look convinced and replied, ?It has just come to my attention that another person may have been at the scene of the crime. I?ve not yet had a chance to question them.?

The Judge leaned back in his chair and looked thoughtfully at both of the Counselors opposite him. ?Very well. Follow through with your interview and we?ll meet tomorrow ? same time. And Counselor, please don?t waste my time.?

Crim Reukli Defense Counsel for Kuryn, looked humbled by the Judge?s comment as he stood to leave. ?I won?t, your honor.?

?Good day,? Judge Osirn replied, dismissing them both.

Garen huddled in the corner of his holding cell waiting for one of the guards to escort him to his transport. If he?d had his way, he?d stay in the cell already afforded him instead of facing what awaited him ? Delrian, a prison planet full of unimaginable brutality. That was the last place he ? or anyone else for that matter ? wanted to go.

?I guess my past finally caught up to me. What a shame, Kuryn would have been such a pleasant place to live out my days in obscurity. If only I could find a way to escape??

Voices echoing in the corridor made Garen sit up and listen. He was hoping they weren?t coming for him and that they would pass by his cell, forgetting he even existed.

?No such luck,? he dryly commented as a guard stopped in front of his cell and waved to his fellow officer who kept going.

?Someone here to see you,? the guard gruffly stated.

A few minutes later

?Have a seat, Mister Qeenet,? Crim Reukli nodded to the chair opposite him as he withdrew a datapad from his briefcase.

?Uh, d-do I know you?? Garen timidly asked.

?Not personally,? Crim quipped, still looking over his datapad.

Garen slumped down into the chair and crossed his arms over his chest. ?What do you want?? he asked, confused.

?I need some information from you. If it?s worthy, it may keep you out of Delrian.?

Garen?s eyes flew open and his jaw dropped. ?Y-you could keep me from going to that wretched place??

?Perhaps, considering I?m the one sending you there.?

Garen squirmed in his seat and he wiped his now sweaty palms on his prison pants. ?What do you want to know??

?I see I have your undivided attention, good,? Crim craftily replied as he finally looked up. ?Tell me about the night in the cave when the Uyllt brothers were killed.?

?W-who?? Garen replied as he felt his throat go dry.

Crim?s eyes narrowed critically. ?Don?t try my patience,? he said grimly.

?Yeah, right.? Garen nodded as he felt a chill crawl up his back. ?Uh, who are you anyway??

?Mister Crim Reukli, Kuryn?s District Attorney.?

Surprised, Garen said, ?District Attorney?? Lowering his head, he murmured, ?Then that means??

?Means what, Mister Qeenet? You?ll find I have exceptional hearing.?

Garen stared, unsure of what to do or say. If he admitted to being in the cave that nigh

21. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
  22. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Mara?s counsel also requested a closed courtroom due to her client?s notoriety. The HoloNet would have her face splashed on every channel and thus disrupt the trial.

Sakoya, Obi-Wan, Cela, Luke, and Xar?ek were the only ones permitted inside the courtroom as the trail began.

Good. I'm glad the news people were kept out

Just as she was under the control of Emperor Palpatine, she was now under the control of a substance with possibly deadly implications.

Love the analogy there

Kintar smiled with satisfaction at the outburst. ?Are you saying that she fought each of them in self-defense??

Score!

?This has got to be the fastest murder trial in history,? Mara whispered to Kintar after the judge had left the courtroom.

Hehe probably. The judge seems awesome though.

Although I am familiar with the accused past, I cannot condemn her for alleged crimes that took place outside the Republic?s jurisdiction. Nor can I render her guilty in a case that lacks sufficient proof. Therefore, I find Miss Mara Jade not guilty in the death?s of Yurrn and Irgan Uyllt and she will be released from custody.

[face_dancing] All right!

Loved the ending too. I'm glad she's going to allow the second chance she was given.

23. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    That was a quick trial. Thank goodness Mara was found not guilty.

24. Arriss

Jun 1, 2002
    LOL! :D

Can you imagine the frenzy if they weren't? :eek:

;) Thank you.

Kintar knew just how to get to the little weasel. ;)

I pictured the judge to be a crotchety [face_not_talking] old man who'd been around the system for a very long time. He's fair but takes no flak [face_shame_on_you] from anyone. If he wants the trial to go quickly, he's gonna see to it that it does. ;)

Mara needs to think about the second chance she's been given and never forget what she's learned from it. :)

Yes, but the notoriety of the accused helped speed it along at an alarming rate. =D=

I have a surprise coming up so be sure to check for the new post(s). There's only a few left. [face_whistling] :D

25. qingauk

qingauk Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    ZOWEE.. it is even better when read four chapts at a time!! The master of good endings... and we know how those 'looks' between Mara and Luke are going to end!! A truly enjoyable fic by a truly talented writer..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.